As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Separation of Church and State

[Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubtRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I was just thinking about the topic of religion, and I came to a startling realization;

Some people don't separate Church and State.

Now, this may sound obvious, but let me go into more depth. There are some people with whom the institution of the Church and the institution of a Nation State are inexorably linked; loyalty to one is one and the same with loyalty to the other. Now, I immediately thought of American Evangelicals like Bush, and those who support him. Sermons on why the Iraq war was good or holy.

Now, this just hit me full on right now. I'm not a fan of very religious people in general, evangelicals usually piss me right off, and big time nationalists I generally dont like much either. But damn, this takes nationalism, and religious fundamentalism, and binds them together into one ideal. Thats scary as fuck. Reminds me of Norsefire from V for Vendetta (the movie).

So anyway, lets try to get a discussion going about this!

First some thoughts and clarifications;

Are there actually any states like this that exist today? Now, an obvious response might be Iran, or the US. I don't really think that any of those quite fit. Iran is a theocracy, but I think (correct me if I'm wrong here) that Iranians do not really link their nationalistic beliefs with their religious ones. The religious leaders might try and promote this view, I know Khomeini said stuff like (paraphrase): if you disobey me or the law you are disobeying Islam. I dont think this really stuck though, since Iranians as a whole are pretty hungry for some reforms; they like their religion just fine thanks, but their government they aren't so much a fan of.

I think there is definately an element of it in the US, a strong element with a fair bit of political power, but they are pretty small compared to the rest of the country. That someone like this actually got to president is rather frightening though; remember when he said he talked to god about the Iraq war? Thats a pretty scary exchange right there, the concepts of President, God and War don't mix too well in a thought.

I'd like to keep this discussion on the topic of Religion and Nationalism. We'll probably get into stuff like the (very religious) monarchies in Europe and the like, but I'd like to try to stick with modern nation states here.

So, what do you guys think? Does it make sense to classify it this way? Is this completely obvious and I just didn't get it? Are church and state separate on some fundamental level, is it not possible to link them into a single entity? Or is it possible? Has it been done? Are there any examples that exist today? Think any will come up in the near future? Do they have to suck? What would a state like this be like (what is it like in fiction like V for Vendetta?)? And so on.

mvaYcgc.jpg
[Tycho?] on

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Do I think they are separate on a fundamental level? No, I believe that there must be an active effort made in order to have a true separation - by which I mean a clear non-affiliation of government laws and entities with a specific religion.

Is it scary to have a president who claims to talk to god? I suppose; the only people I ever hear about having talked to god usually end up drowning their kids in a bathtub. But, I don't think that much can be done to prevent this or that anything further should be done because then you'd have to do something like disallow political groups with a religious connection and at that point you'd be imposing on the right to organize and express.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The seperation of Church and State was instituted to keep religious INSISTITUTIONS from having overt government influence, not neccessarily to prevent one's religious beliefs from informing and influencing their own policy. A great deal of US law is routed in Judeo-Christian moral ethic, after all (though certainly not expressly or exclusively).

Basically, what I'm saying is that in many European countries, there were large religious entities literally called "The Church" (see: The Church of England) that wielded enormous political power. The Consititutional seperation tries to prevent such bodies from wielding control here (and fortunately, the US doesn't really have a large, overbearing religious entity with the power of national European churches, instead we just have lobbies).

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think the example of a nation state being a religion you were looking for is Israel. It was founded on religious dogma, maintains it's claims to deeply contested land (and expansion) by virtue of religious right, and draws it's national identity from it's religious heritage. I can't necessarily say whether that's a good or bad thing, but it does meet the idea you seem to be thinking of.

werehippy on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    We can argue what was meant by "separation of church and state" enough, but if you're asking my opinion, I think it doesn't matter what the founding fathers' meant by it, we've progressed, or should have progressed, to the point where religious factions should play no part whatsoever in policy driving in the way it does now with Intelligent Design, stem cell research, etc.

Yes, I even think politicians should stifle their own religious beliefs as best they can when making decisions. They aren't running a spiritual or godly government, they running what should be a secular government, as it governs the people, not by god, and it governs over a great number and variety of people.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, the "anti-science" religious policies found in public schools and with regards to government funding are usually rooted right smack in stupid land.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Foreign policy as well. My girlfriend's mother actually said, "We need to help out Isreal. As a Christian nation, it's our duty."

So, yeah. No. Never. That should never be the case.

We need a president to come out fucking right and say it. "We are not a Christian Nation. In fact, we're a strictly secular nation."

Maybe I'm living in the wrong America, though. Maybe all the fundies are right and I'm delusional.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Foreign policy as well. My girlfriend's mother actually said, "We need to help out Isreal. As a Christian nation, it's our duty."

So, yeah. No. Never. That should never be the case.

We need a president to come out fucking right and say it. "We are not a Christian Nation. In fact, we're a strictly secular nation."

Maybe I'm living in the wrong America, though. Maybe all the fundies are right and I'm delusional.

The United States Congress did, in a treaty with Tripoli in the late 1700s.

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,— as it has in itself no character or enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,— and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Matrijs on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And we have such a great history with keeping our words on treaties too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_guadalupe_hidalgo

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    No one cares about that anymore. Frankly, not even I care about that anymore. It makes for a wonderful argument to the "The Founding Fathers wanted a Christian Nation" bit, but to our present problem, it's just for show. The nation could have changed, it could have decided to become Christian.

That's not the case here, but my point is that even if the Treaty of Tripoli didn't exist, I'd be just as right as I am now, and for all the same reasons. It's illogical for such a developed world to cling so tightly to any religion, or even a spirituality.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No one cares about that anymore. Frankly, not even I care about that anymore. It makes for a wonderful argument to the "The Founding Fathers wanted a Christian Nation" bit, but to our present problem, it's just for show. The nation could have changed, it could have decided to become Christian.

Except that it can't do that. The First Amendment specifically provides for that eventuality: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

The whole reason that the Treaty of Tripoli is relevant is not that it's somehow binding, but rather that it demonstrates the intent of the Founding Fathers in writing the First Amendment.

Matrijs on
  • Options
    IloroKamouIloroKamou Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There's a lot of very subtle ways in which the U.S. has, despite it being written in our Constitution, failed to separate Church and State. For example, the fact that our Congressman/Senators/Presidents are sworn in by placing their hand on the Bible(see also, the dude that was sworn in on the Koran...you have your choice of religious institution upon which you'd like to swear your oath of loyalty to the nation). I spent some time living in France, and when I talked to people there about this subject, one of the things that always came up was that the U.S. "claims" to have separation of Church and State yet still does stuff like this. In France, the separation is much more...institutionalized. There are almost no vestiges of religion in the administrative workings of government, although this probably has more to do with the Revolution than anything.

IloroKamou on
    "There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts."
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It is, unfortunately, very difficult, in a democracy, to go against what the majority wants, which is for Jesus to be President.

Our only saving grace is that they can't agree on which Jesus to elect.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The concept of a separation between church and state is a fairly recent idea, a product of the early middle ages at the earliest. Certainly during the Roman empire or previously what we think of as two different spheres of human activity were completely and inexorably bound together. Political views had theological implications and vice versa.

The structure and creed of all modern Christianity in particular is largely based on a series of political / religious arguments in the second and third centuries CE. However much different Christians may disagree about their religion today, even protestants and catholics, they are extremely homogeneous compared to the wildly diverging forms of the religion that existed before it became the state religion of Rome.

Questions such as whether Yeshua (read: Jesus if you want the version we ended up with via the Greek translations) rose from the dead, the authority and authenticity of the gospels, whether the apostles and their successors had any special authority, whether martyrdom was praiseworthy, whether Yeshua was the result of a virgin birth ( the concept of Mary as a perpetual virgin and the idea that Yeshua had no siblings was a 6th-7th century addition to the religion and was not really debated in the early church) and many other ideas later considered vital orthodoxy were hotly debated. And all of these issues which today would be considered purely theological had political ramifications. The authenticity of the apostles was equivalent to the temporal authority of the bishops and vice versa. The physical resurrection of Yeshua (and the rather dubious series of events which followed in some of the gospels) was vital to the claim by the Bishop of Rome to primacy over all others etc...

Christianity is by no means alone in this. More ancient religions, from bronze age Mesopotamia or Egypt down to classical Greece or Persia even more strongly exemplify the unification of the political with the religious as we define them today.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Riemann... in an argument about which pie is the best, it's like you just posted the history of pie crust, and left it at that.

What we need is someone who thinks Church and State need to be hardcore fucking together.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well of course I'm all for the separation of church and state.

But the OP seemed to be dumbfounded that there could be any other possibility. When in fact for the majority of history the religious and the political have been completely intertwined.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, so the post was a little more justified. I'm going to pretend it's not, however, 'cause it's funnier that way.

I'd play devil's advocate on this one, but I risk becoming actually, really frustrated by my own talking points.

I'd also never lose. Stalwart stupidity is the best defense ever.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd have to say that the clear separation of Church and State is one of the greatest things going. Unfortunately, democracy means that the people can get what they want, and I don't see an atheist presidential candidate probably doesn't stand a chance. I don't live in the US, but that's the way it looks to me. I think that a politicians duties to their constituents takes president over their religious beliefs, though. At least it should.

Like Incenjucar said, if the Church runs the majority then they could end up running the State, too. Luckily the majority is divided enough to prevent that in most cases.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    I'd have to say that the clear separation of Church and State is one of the greatest things going. Unfortunately, democracy means that the people can get what they want, and I don't see an atheist presidential candidate probably doesn't stand a chance. I don't live in the US, but that's the way it looks to me. I think that a politicians duties to their constituents takes president over their religious beliefs, though. At least it should.

Like Incenjucar said, if the Church runs the majority then they could end up running the State, too. Luckily the majority is divided enough to prevent that in most cases.
    I think this is an interesting point. I really doubt that an openly atheist presidential candidate would have any chance at winning an election or even the nomination here in the US.

But that's not really a separation of church and state issue as much as it is an issue with the majority of the American populace vehemently believing in the idea of us being a "christian nation".

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've always seen the issue as separation of religion and state rather than Church - if just for the reason that I, like all the others living in the US/Canada/Australia or NZ live in a society settled by a bunch of different churches not just one.

Anyway, the issue came up in NZ last year or maybe was it 06? When we came off a long running open sore debate about the right to use force while disciplining children (called the anti smacking bill) and whether or not it should be banned. In the end it was and legally now one cannot use smacking to discipline children, although whether or not you'd get prosecuted isn't really certain. The reason why it is relevant to this discussion was that the split between organised opposition and organised support for the bill/move came down to straight old fashioned culture war reactionary Christians (Family First) vs. liberals. So at the protests/debates we saw marchers holding bible quotations and using biblical justifications to use force on their children - which was rather surreal I suspect for most New Zealanders, wherever one sat on the debate.

This split provoked calls by a radical Bishop (who owns his own church - still quite rare in NZ) to demand NZ be declared a Christian nation - without ever really saying what that would mean. While most think he is crazy a fair few people I think kind of liked some recognition of that fact, possibly due to fear of Islam/recent immigration/whatever and it is still possible to have this debate to this day (I had it last week with an agnostic friend who is in favour). So what does it actually mean to be a Christian nation, if one was to declare as such in a modern English speaking democracy, where 1/3 people have legally declared that they have no religion?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    To some extent if you have a democracy, and a religious population, there is going to be some overlap. Human enterprises are just sloppy that way. So you have to choose your battles. Personal liberty is the best battle ground I think. Grousing about "In God We Trust" on coins and George Bush funnelling some small fraction of public money to religious charities whose work accomplishes a public purpose? I can live with it. I file it under giving democracy a wide play in public affairs.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Shinto wrote: »
    To some extent if you have a democracy, and a religious population, there is going to be some overlap. Human enterprises are just sloppy that way. So you have to choose your battles. Personal liberty is the best battle ground I think. Grousing about "In God We Trust" on coins and George Bush funnelling some small fraction of public money to religious charities whose work accomplishes a public purpose? I can live with it. I file it under giving democracy a wide play in public affairs.

I'm as comfortable with faith-based initiatives and "In God We Trust" on coins as I am going without socks on a hot day.

I'll live, sure...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I think it doesn't matter what the founding fathers' meant by it, we've progressed, or should have progressed, to the point where religious factions should play no part whatsoever in policy driving in the way it does now with Intelligent Design, stem cell research, etc.

This is why I'm so sick and fucking tired of arguments about what the founding fathers intended. I don't give a flying fuck. I really don't. Most of them owned slaves. Most of them would be considered white supremacists today. They were smart men for the time, but they were mostly still utterly of that time.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Shinto wrote: »

At least one of those programs I know of defines "public work" as proselytizing. Specifically, the prison ones. Fuck those people.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    At least one of those programs I know of defines "public work" as proselytizing. Specifically, the prison ones. Fuck those people.

MrMister on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think it doesn't matter what the founding fathers' meant by it, we've progressed, or should have progressed, to the point where religious factions should play no part whatsoever in policy driving in the way it does now with Intelligent Design, stem cell research, etc.

This is why I'm so sick and fucking tired of arguments about what the founding fathers intended. I don't give a flying fuck. I really don't. Most of them owned slaves. Most of them would be considered white supremacists today. They were smart men for the time, but they were mostly still utterly of that time.

From what i remember reading, most of them did not in fact own slaves and many members of the northern colonies were members of anti slavery groups.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

From what i remember reading, most of them did not in fact own slaves and many members of the northern colonies were members of anti slavery groups.

Uh, most of the notable ones (see: Thomas Jefferson) did in fact own slaves. And even some of the ones that were against slavery were still racist.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Uh, most of the notable ones (see: Thomas Jefferson) did in fact own slaves. And even some of the ones that were against slavery were still racist.

They existed in the late 1700s in America, of course they were racist. Everyone was racist.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think this is off-topic.

Point is, even if you could demonstrably prove that all the founding fathers intended for a strictly secular government, it would only sort of matter.

It would only matter in the same way it would matter to hear that H.P. Lovecraft wanted to write scary stories.

This isn't Thomas Jeffersonia, or John Adam's Land, or George Washingstan.

Most of them were deists, anyhow. I imagine only because they were highly intelligent and academic persons, and had Darwin's theory of evolution been around at the time, I imagine more than a few would even be atheists. At the time, however, atheism was based only around, "Well I haven't seen this God fellow..." which was a weak argument when you'd still have to explain the world.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Most of them were deists, anyhow. I imagine only because they were highly intelligent and academic persons, and had Darwin's theory of evolution been around at the time, I imagine more than a few would even be atheists. At the time, however, atheism was based only around, "Well I haven't seen this God fellow..." which was a weak argument when you'd still have to explain the world.

My respect for Jefferson grew quite a bit (if that was actually possible) when I found out he was a deist. Nowadays, most people don't even know what it is.

geckahn on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Here in Finland, we have state religion. The Evangelical Lutheran Church gets to collect tax from everyone belonging to the church. Their dependency on tax money pretty much ensures that they stay rather moderate, almost secular, in their official stance on political hot potatoes, and their overwhelming financial advantage and entrenchment in every aspect of society from school up makes it easy for them to push various fundie movements to the fringe. As a result we're, paradoxally, a very secular country where the vast majority of the population are members of the state church. I think I'd be against separating the church and the state here, but I don't know how much of the above arises from the system itself, and how much is entirely cultural.

edit: I realize part of the reason why this works is that it's a small country in terms of population. Fundie movements have a difficult time reaching critical mass here, although they still manage to do it in some regions.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Here in Finland, we have state religion. The Evangelical Lutheran Church gets to collect tax from everyone belonging to the church. Their dependency on tax money pretty much ensures that they stay rather moderate, almost secular, in their official stance on political hot potatoes, and their overwhelming financial advantage and entrenchment in every aspect of society from school up makes it easy for them to push various fundie movements to the fringe. As a result we're, paradoxally, a very secular country where the vast majority of the population are members of the state church. I think I'd be against separating the church and the state here, but I don't know how much of the above arises from the system itself, and how much is entirely cultural.

I lived in Sweden for a year, same deal there. And I don't think I met anybody who ever went to church. Not even on Christmas and Easter.

Definitely showed me how true it is that separating church from state leads to good things for religion.

geckahn on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There is a separation of church and state in America. There is no religion officially endorsed by the government, nor is the leader of the official church the head of state. I believe this was the intent of the founding fathers and it has caused problems throughout history. Even Dante made mention of it in the the Inferno.

What America has is a lot of people who are religious to some degree. Yes, these people will run for office and people who have things in common, often from the same religion, will vote for them. In a democracy where 85% of the population was gay, it would be difficult to elect a straight guy or gal as leader. There's nothing shocking about this.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm specifically arguing that it's not enough anymore to just claim separation of church and state. It should be, needs to be, separation of religion and state.

And Gay or straight wouldn't matter if the country were tolerant. It isn't the 85% straight people of the country keeping the gays out simply because they're the minority. It's the fundies.

Or if Richy is reading this, it's anyone with a spiritual belief. They're all the same kind of nutcase.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    DickerdoodleDickerdoodle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    an_alt wrote: »
    There is a separation of church and state in America. There is no religion officially endorsed by the government, nor is the leader of the official church the head of state. I believe this was the intent of the founding fathers and it has caused problems throughout history. Even Dante made mention of it in the the Inferno.

What America has is a lot of people who are religious to some degree. Yes, these people will run for office and people who have things in common, often from the same religion, will vote for them. In a democracy where 85% of the population was gay, it would be difficult to elect a straight guy or gal as leader. There's nothing shocking about this.

I think the problem is religious groups using money and influence to advance agendas within the government. The message to them should be "STAY OUT".

Dickerdoodle on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's weird, but I continue to believe that Very Very Religious Americans are a group on the decline, and their actions (even if there's a lot of optimistic talk about how America is a Christian Nation) tend to point to this reality. They use the language of an aggrieved minority that is slowly being buried by, I dunno, modernity or MTV or whatever.

Anyway, I think it's this sense of slipping authority that actually causes them to try to assert themselves politically, even if it's only on a few relatively meaningless symbolic issues (prayer in school, gay marriage, abortion). The funny thing, to me, is that making religion a partisan issue has probably hurt churches and the Republican party in the long run.

You can't have a 2 party system where 1 party claims Christianity in a country as big as the US. It just doesn't make any kind of sense unless you start saying that your party has the 'real' Christians and everyone else is a fag. Which is pretty much the argument today.

As soon as the Catholics give up on abortion and move back to the political Left (where they've traditionally lived through most of the 19th and 20th centuries), I think you'll see a realignment. I know plenty of 'conservative' Catholics who want universal health care, no death penalty, and less militarism. They're just hung up on abortion.

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    I think the example of a nation state being a religion you were looking for is Israel. It was founded on religious dogma, maintains it's claims to deeply contested land (and expansion) by virtue of religious right, and draws it's national identity from it's religious heritage. I can't necessarily say whether that's a good or bad thing, but it does meet the idea you seem to be thinking of.

Huh, good call, I can't believe I didn't think of Israel. I would definately say its a bad thing, or at least something that tends to lead to more bad than good.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Are there actually any states like this that exist today? Now, an obvious response might be Iran, or the US. I don't really think that any of those quite fit. Iran is a theocracy, but I think (correct me if I'm wrong here) that Iranians do not really link their nationalistic beliefs with their religious ones. The religious leaders might try and promote this view, I know Khomeini said stuff like (paraphrase): if you disobey me or the law you are disobeying Islam. I dont think this really stuck though, since Iranians as a whole are pretty hungry for some reforms; they like their religion just fine thanks, but their government they aren't so much a fan of.
    Nevertheless, Shariah law is the law of Iran.

Saudi Arabia might be a better example. The Quran is their constitution. Children learn how to spread Islam in government-funded schools.

As Riemman said, separation of church and state is a recent invention. Almost all the major religions contain explicitly political and legal strictures. In Islam, there is no distinction between political life and religion, since the Quran contains the ideal legal code for human civilization. This is something more Westerners need to wrap their heads around before they start talking about "spreading democracy" to the middle east.

I think the only reason we have widespread support for separation of church and state in the West is because nobody actually believes in the Bible anymore—even the evangelicals are pussy-footed about instituting all of them good ol' Old Testament laws. The Enlightenment eroded the moral and rational basis for Christianity.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

edit: I realize part of the reason why this works is that it's a small country in terms of population. Fundie movements have a difficult time reaching critical mass here, although they still manage to do it in some regions.

Thats very interesting, I didn't know that. A state religion that ends up making the state more secular.... I like it! Not that I think I'd be a member myself, but its certainly preferable to a lot of other religious options, in my mind anyway.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Nevertheless, Shariah law is the law of Iran.

Saudi Arabia might be a better example. The Quran is their constitution. Children learn how to spread Islam in government-funded schools.

As Riemman said, separation of church and state is a recent invention. Almost all the major religions contain explicitly political and legal strictures. In Islam, there is no distinction between political life and religion, since the Quran contains the ideal legal code for human civilization. This is something more Westerners need to wrap their heads around before they start talking about "spreading democracy" to the middle east.

I think the only reason we have widespread support for separation of church and state in the West is because nobody actually believes in the Bible anymore—even the evangelicals are pussy-footed about instituting all of them good ol' Old Testament laws. The Enlightenment eroded the moral and rational basis for Christianity.

I actually had listed Saudi Arabia in my examples, but I edited it out. Namely because while Saudi Arabia is very religious, there is a great deal of strife between the government and the fundamentalists. There have been numerous bombings by al-Queda and other groups against Saudi targets, and big time Saudi crackdowns against them. I think this is another example where the rules of Saudi Arabia may like the idea of using Islam to shore up support for themselves, in reality it doesn't work that way, and they end up fighting the religious elements intead of getting support from them.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think the problem is religious groups using money and influence to advance agendas within the government. The message to them should be "STAY OUT".

On the other hand, plenty of people donate money to MoveOn to advance agendas within the government as do the NAACP, AARP, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the Evangelicals, but it's no surprise that anyone tries to influence policy in the way they see as right.

RedShell, Catholics have a left/right split and aren't part of the religious right. In at least the last 50 years, no party has gotten 60% of the Catholic vote on the federal level and it's rare to even get 55%.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.