As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Penny Arcade comic scared Cliffy.

PugnatePugnate Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/02/28/epics-mark-and-cliffyb-explains-what-pc-gaming-alliance-means-for-gamers-disarray-dismissed/
Multiplayer: “Cliff, you buy it? PC gaming is back?”

Bleszinski: “Abso-frigging-lutely. The thing is, I think everybody coming together in that kind of way will essentially kind of help re-glue things back together and kind of help fix the market. I have a big PC gaming heritage and I love playing games with a keyboard and a mouse, as well as a console, and I’d just love to see it.”

That was fast. We must do more to spread awareness of schizophrenia among developers.

Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx -- Echo
Signature1.jpg
Pugnate on

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pugnate wrote: »
    http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/02/28/epics-mark-and-cliffyb-explains-what-pc-gaming-alliance-means-for-gamers-disarray-dismissed/
    Multiplayer: “Cliff, you buy it? PC gaming is back?”

Bleszinski: “Abso-frigging-lutely. The thing is, I think everybody coming together in that kind of way will essentially kind of help re-glue things back together and kind of help fix the market. I have a big PC gaming heritage and I love playing games with a keyboard and a mouse, as well as a console, and I’d just love to see it.”

That was fast. We must do more to spread awareness of schizophrenia among developers.

That's not schizophrenia, it's Mark Reins hand shoved all the way up CliffyB's backside.

subedii on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm sure someone (Mark Rein) probably told him to STFU when it comes to saying the PC market is dying.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    PugnatePugnate Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I wonder if Cliffy sent hidden messages in that video through blinking.

MARK

HAS

MY

CHILDREN

Pugnate on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx -- Echo
    Signature1.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    subedii wrote: »

That's not schizophrenia, it's Mark Reins hand shoved all the way up CliffyB's backside.

:winky:

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ha, yeah. I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that Epic is part of the newly formed PCGA.

Way to cover your ass, Cliffy.

Seriously, is it possible for someone to be more than completely full of shit?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    PC GAMING IS DEAD! LONG LIVE PC GAMING!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

The PC Gaming industry had the fastest turn-around ever!

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

You mean it's spinning in it's grave?

subedii on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008

It spun around faster than Dick Button at the 1948 Olympics!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited February 2008
    I vote we start calling CliffyB ClefairyB instead, as per Tycho.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »

That would be doing Clefairy a disservice.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Let's just start calling him "Shit-Head".

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Let's just start calling him "Shit-Head".

I'm sorry he can't hear you because his solid gold mansion has double glazing. It's also on the moon.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    We could just ambush him in a bathroom and threaten to cut off his balls if the next UT game isn't PC first and foremost

override367 on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    We could just ambush him in a bathroom and threaten to cut off his balls if the next UT game isn't PC first and foremost

Judging from his turn-around, he doesn't have balls.

Djiem on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why does everyone hate this dude again?

He seems to make good games

Javen on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't know. I didn't find what he said last time that inflammatory. But then I don't think this guy is exactly representing the zeitgeist of gaming culture these days. There is room for dissent.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Javen wrote: »

And at least he doesn't slap his name on the title of every goddamn thing he touches, like American McGee.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    CliffyB is a prophet of gaming like Michael Jackson is a prophet of music. It's fun to see what they both say but for the actual analysis you want to go with someone who doesn't show up to trade events in a pimp suit.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    First time I heard of him, he was described as a "smarty man game designar".

Those were the days.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Mostly, he's just fun to hate. It was not even a couple of weeks ago that he was lamenting how bad PC piracy has gotten, and how he's trying to move away from PCs towards consoles. Then, the PCGA is announced, and Epic is one of the companies behind it. Ole' Shit-Head goes back to being all buddy-buddy with the PC platform again.

It's just funny to watch the dude wiggle around for a few bucks.

He's not a bad guy, it's just that he's obviously being fed lines about things that he doesn't really believe. In essence, Shit-Head is just a patsy.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Games like Gears of War have no place on Pcs anymore though. The PC version of that game barely scraped 1 million, and that's mostly off the back of the huge console success.

Imagine if they had not released the console version at all.

Cliffy was right to say PC gaming is dead. It is dead for the specific types of games that Epic games produces. I think he was either misquoted or spoke out of place originally, he was clearly implying that Gears being a console game was the best move Epic games has made for ages.

This is not him backtracking completely, someone at epic has clearly asked him to clarify his meaning, PC isnt dead (it's undead) its just the style of games that are viable on the platform are not Epic games.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You know, calling him Shit head for no other reason than 'he's just fun to hate' makes you seem like a much more annoying asshole than he is. You've never met the guy, he doesnt know who you are nor cares and its childish to call people you dont know childish names.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    He's actually a pretty cool guy. When I was into UT (the original one), I remember how fun it was to hang out in the editor channel making maps. He'd be in there chatting, offering advice (pretty frank advice too, like not to use the stair-maker in UED cause it's glitchy crap) and playing DM on the maps people made.

That's a pretty narrow range in which to know someone --in an IRC channel and playing an FPS, but about as wide a range as I 'know' most anyone on the internet. When someone spends their spare time playing the game they work on, you know they're at least a real gamer. If nothing else, that's a value a lot of people 'in the industry' --that we get a look at-- seem to lack.

I totally disagree with him about PC's, but apparently he also disagrees with himself.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I'm not even sure what games the man's been involved with, I don't recognize his name. (I play the games, I don't tend to actuvly follow a developer's career)
    CliffyB is a prophet of gaming like Michael Jackson is a prophet of music. It's fun to see what they both say but for the actual analysis you want to go with someone who doesn't show up to trade events in a pimp suit.

Ahh, he's not that skinny twit with spiky hair from ID is he?

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    You know, calling him Shit head for no other reason than 'he's just fun to hate' makes you seem like a much more annoying asshole than he is. You've never met the guy, he doesnt know who you are nor cares and its childish to call people you dont know childish names.

What're you, his cousin or something?

Calling him Shit-Head is a term of endearment!

Honestly, I can't be mad at the guy. He's not even in control of what he says anymore. I can't hold a man like that responsible.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    I don't know. I didn't find what he said last time that inflammatory. But then I don't think this guy is exactly representing the zeitgeist of gaming culture these days. There is room for dissent.

Not at PA! No sir! You can't tell someone that PC gaming is not doing so well without freaking out. :lol:

Seriously though, When the hell are they going to get around making a standard graphics card? or hell, a standard MLG gaming computer setup? PC gaming is not doing so well because consoles are moving up in power and processing. It almost looks like what happened to arcades in the states. People could play arcade machine quality titles at home so there really was not nearly as much of a need for them.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Strikerkc wrote: »

Yeah, the one voted one of the hottest guys in gaming. <3

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Not at PA! No sir! You can't tell someone that PC gaming is not doing so well without freaking out. :lol:

Seriously though, When the hell are they going to get around making a standard graphics card? or hell, a standard MLG gaming computer setup? PC gaming is not doing so well because consoles are moving up in power and processing. It almost looks like what happened to arcades in the states. People could play arcade machine quality titles at home so there really was not nearly as much of a need for them.

PC gaming has been on suicide watch for 15 years and is still here. Consoles rise and fall, console manufacturers come and go. PCs are still here. They are eternal. They. Are. Legion.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

PC gaming has been on suicide watch for 15 years and is still here. Consoles rise and fall, console manufacturers come and go. PCs are still here. They are eternal. They. Are. Legion.

Hey we're still here playing. I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    We're largely just laughing because of the sudden 180, and the odds being that Mark Rein was behind it. :lol:

It's not like anyone here actively hates him or anything. Or even holds what he says against him, it's his opinion after all and having been in the industry as long as he has he's entitled to it and he ought to know at least partly what he's talking about.

Doesn't change the fact that it's still a funny thing to watch. :mrgreen:

Plus, people like to make fun of the ridiculous cult of personality that's been built up around the guy. It's like the game industry has to report his every word and gesture, and to be honest I doubt even he wants that situation.

subedii on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I never even heard of the guy before, didnt care what he had to say then, and dont care what he has to say now. If any of these big developers want to leave the PC platform, good riddance. Make room for a younger crowd with new ideas (Audiosurf, Portal etc etc)

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I dont think it was Mark Rein. It was clearly Tim Sweeney, that maniacal son of a bitch.
    If you have ever met him, he's like the nicest human being ever.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »

From ID? Say what?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I dont think it was Mark Rein. It was clearly Tim Sweeney, that maniacal son of a bitch.
    If you have ever met him, he's like the nicest human being ever.

Man, you never hear about Sweeney at all. It's all "Rein said this" and "Bleszinski said that," while Sweeney sits quietly like a nerd in the corner coding pretty engines and making Epic mad money in licensing fees.

I can't hate on CliffyB. Because, man, Jazz Jackrabbit.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

From ID? Say what?

Maybe talking about Todd Hollenshead.

Who will always be an international hero as the man who fired not only john romero but also american mcgee.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It is really cute how he puts his foot in his mouth. Remind me to hate on whatever he says.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

From ID? Say what?

Maybe talking about Todd Hollenshead.

Na, I threw them both into google, the "spiky haired twit" is the guy I was thinking of, though I was mistaken that he was with ID at some time in the past, I remember him gabing about unreal stuff now (I was thinking of ID becuase most game shows/documentaries tend to cover Doom and unreal at the same time, often going from one to the other).

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

Judging from his turn-around, he doesn't have balls.

Ooh, burn.

Accualt on
  • Options
    life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Doesn't CliffyB have the job security of, well..... someone with a very secure job. So why the turnaround I wonder?

Anyways, I'm not going to start calling him DoucheyB or anything(the B is for BAG of course), but it is kind of a strike against the guy. Come on though, as stated above, Jazz Jackrabbit.

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW