As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play : Secret of Mana - Episode 15 : Over 30GB Served this month!

• Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wasn't this game originally supposed to be a sequel to a Gameboy game called Final Fantasy Adventure?

Matthew on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hm, so I recorded my new episode, but there were some technical difficulties regarding my new microphone... so I'll have to record it again. AWESOME. It should be up tonight, either way.
    It's night in Cali, now. Let's have it. :)

gilrain on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Matthew wrote: »
    Wasn't this game originally supposed to be a sequel to a Gameboy game called Final Fantasy Adventure?

Yes it was, and I didn't get the memo about it not being that anymore...

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seeks wrote: »
    Man, pathfinding issues are hilarious when they happen to people that aren't me.

There is some interesting things in SoM. There are some different paths that happen if you do or don't do certain actions. My play through caused me not to get snatched up by the goblins(or something like that on that little sign) and attacked by two tough wolves. It was a pain but I pushed it through.

I need to find a secret of mana cart now :/

And pathfinding? ugh. I hate losing my path. I remember doing that in final fantasy 1 and having such headaches with that.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not quite what I meant (I can't tell if you're joking or not), but interesting nonetheless.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, pathfinding issues are hilarious when they happen to people that aren't me.

There is some interesting things in SoM. There are some different paths that happen if you do or don't do certain actions. My play through caused me not to get snatched up by the goblins(or something like that on that little sign) and attacked by two tough wolves. It was a pain but I pushed it through.

And pathfinding? ugh. I hate losing my path. I remember doing that in final fantasy 1 and having such headaches with that.

Umm... pathfinding is the process through which AI characters find a path around obstacles. It sucks in SoM. That's the joke.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So... Seiken Densetsu 3(sp?)... pretty fucking hard boss fights it seems.
    It wouldn't be so bad if the game would let me bring up the item/spell ring more often. Instead it's like, "Oh hey, you already just brought one up, I think I'll chill here for a few seconds and not let you do that anymore for no reason (I'm not the caster). You don't mind if these motherfucking golems sit here and spam thunderbolts and explosions until you're all dead, right?"

Is there some special strategy that I'm missing out on? This has happened with every boss fight so far, though it's not as big a problem until now, since most bosses didn't constantly spam 120+ dmg spells one right after the other. I can't even use any fucking items. I'm just always dead in pretty much 1 "round". Judging by a walkthrough at Gamefaqs, I'd be doing good if I was level 18 by this point... only I'm actually level 22 or so. I should be kicking ass. What the hell is wrong with me?

Edit: Gah, nevermind. Took care of it not two minutes after typing this out.

Still fucking frustrating, though.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SimBen wrote: »

Umm... pathfinding is the process through which AI characters find a path around obstacles. It sucks in SoM. That's the joke.

I thought you were referencing the losing of ones path in some rpg. "so I have to go here and do what now?!?" And ya, Always amusing. I thought SoM had a glitch where it could be abused to go back into the potos village?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hm, so I recorded my new episode, but there were some technical difficulties regarding my new microphone... so I'll have to record it again. AWESOME. It should be up tonight, either way.

LIES! LIES AND DECEPTION!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So... Seiken Densetsu 3(sp?)... pretty fucking hard boss fights it seems.
    It wouldn't be so bad if the game would let me bring up the item/spell ring more often. Instead it's like, "Oh hey, you already just brought one up, I think I'll chill here for a few seconds and not let you do that anymore for no reason (I'm not the caster). You don't mind if these motherfucking golems sit here and spam thunderbolts and explosions until you're all dead, right?"

Is there some special strategy that I'm missing out on? This has happened with every boss fight so far, though it's not as big a problem until now, since most bosses didn't constantly spam 120+ dmg spells one right after the other. I can't even use any fucking items. I'm just always dead in pretty much 1 "round". Judging by a walkthrough at Gamefaqs, I'd be doing good if I was level 18 by this point... only I'm actually level 22 or so. I should be kicking ass. What the hell is wrong with me?

Edit: Gah, nevermind. Took care of it not two minutes after typing this out.

Still fucking frustrating, though.
    It's been a while since I've played but I seem to recall strategies amounting to using your BAs every time you get the chance. Try to cancel them if you can. If that doesn't work try to memorize the monsters attack patterns and to avoid all physical attacks if possible. You can never grind enough though. I had gotten the first class upgrade before leaving that one mountainous area early in the game. Hope that's one of the later bosses that's giving you trouble. If you're having problems early then you're going to have a hell of time later. Some bosses are quite ridiculous.

Sorry for not following the LP as much. I've been kinda sick of the internet recently so I took a short break.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I know. Curses. It's going up now... it would have been up earlier, but Transmit (my ftp app) is dumb. When it finishes uploading something it's like "awesome, that was fun! I'll do it again!" and deletes the thing it uploaded, and starts the upload again. This happens over and over until I notice and scold it, then use a different FTP app.

Maybe... 45 more minutes?

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I know. Curses. It's going up now... it would have been up earlier, but Transmit (my ftp app) is dumb. When it finishes uploading something it's like "awesome, that was fun! I'll do it again!" and deletes the thing it uploaded, and starts the upload again. This happens over and over until I notice and scold it, then use a different FTP app.

Maybe... 45 more minutes?

New Secret of Mana video in exactly 45 minutes? Great! I'm setting my watch right now!

Food on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Holy shit, 1.8 MB/s. That's the fastest I've ever downloaded.

Edit: and done. Man, Doc. Yours is the best-encoded LP out there, and it's so much more fun to watch as a result. N... never change. :cry:

gilrain on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    man, I left it loading, took a piss, and it was already 80% downloaded

so awesome

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sorry I just noticed there is a hum in the audio and it's coming from my external hard drive's fan kicking on while backing up my data. It's making me sound a bit more distant than I should with this new fancy micromophone. It should be better for the next episode.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sorry I just noticed there is a hum in the audio and it's coming from my external hard drive's fan kicking on while backing up my data. It's making me sound a bit more distant than I should with this new fancy micromophone. It should be better for the next episode.
    Ahh, I was thinking, "Man, for a fancy new microphone..." :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ha. It's still scores better than my last one.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    On remarks about FF6 and FF7:
    I'd say they're about equally dark.
    I mean, seriously, sure one of your party members dies in FF7, but I mean, unless you're some sort of fish catching expert you've probably gone through Celes trying to kill herself more than a couple of times.
    I'd also say the entire FF-series takes itself pretty seriously.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    wrong thread?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited March 2008
    Naw I made some FF6 / FF7 remarks in the LP on the topic of reznik's recent foray into the FF7 LP.

I agree that the topic is dark, SimPerson, but it's the atmosphere and setting in FF7 that are dark to me. The derelict future with the neons and the prostitutes and whatnot.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yes, but in 7 you save the world (okay, yes, Midgar's not so hot afterwards, but still...)! In 6, the world ends! All is desolation from which there is no escape! A crazy dude fries towns depending on his own whim and mood! (A mood that often points him towards frying more things, at that.)

I mean, I concede the point because I misinterpreted you, but I'm just throwing that out there if there's anyone who thinks 6 is significantly less dark than 7 is.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    oh, i just started watching. sorry.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd recommend you try to stay current with armor, which does take a pretty big leap in price from here on out, but it's worth it. The Tiger Suit has 52 defense (Bikini has 64) and the Magical Armor is 78. The other pieces aren't as big a jump, but they're still worth it, especially since magic using enemies are going to be getting more common (as I recall, I could be totally wrong).

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    ShamuuuShamuuu regular
    edited March 2008
    So how many good RPG's were made for the SNES?

Shamuuu on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Craigopogo wrote: »
    I'd recommend you try to stay current with armor, which does take a pretty big leap in price from here on out, but it's worth it. The Tiger Suit has 52 defense (Bikini has 64) and the Magical Armor is 78. The other pieces aren't as big a jump, but they're still worth it, especially since magic using enemies are going to be getting more common (as I recall, I could be totally wrong).
    If you hate yourself, you could grind Gauntlets and Unicorn Hats from the enemies in the Shadow Temple.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Shamuuu wrote: »
    So how many good RPG's were made for the SNES?

Quite a few. Off the top of my head I can think of, that I've played:

Final Fantasy 2 (4)
    Final Fantasy 3 (6) (The Best)
    Chrono Trigger
    Earthbound
    Lufia 2
    Secret of Evermore
    Breath of Fire
    Robotrek
    Illusion of Gaia (though it's really more of a Zelda-esque game)
    Super Mario RPG

FF 3, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are probably the best.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The second time I rented SoM, I had the game glitch out on me in a way that made the game unbeatable.
    At some point not long after getting all three party members, I stepped on one of those creatures that bounces all your characters up to a higher level. After it bounced us up, the sprite "died," and then disappeared completely from the party. No 0/XXX health bar. He was completely gone, so I couldn't just resurrect him. I went to every currently reachable location in the game. No sprite.

I actually soldiered on for a while with only the boy and the girl, but once I got to the first wall face boss, I just could not put out enough damage with only those two before it crushed them against the spikes for the auto-kill. I ended up having to start over since I had saved over the previous save after it happened (I didn't think it would be permanent), which was very disheartening given it was only a weekend rental.

When it first happened, I remember thinking "huh, I don't recall this happening the first time I rented the game." It made me a very sad 12-year old.

Every time since that incident, I hold my breath when I step on one of those bouncy guys.

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Any game where you run around beating shit up with your flute automatically loses, in my book.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Any game where you run around beating shit up with your flute automatically loses, in my book.

Hey. Hey you. It's a magic flute and you can move stuff around with it. Illusion of Gaia rules.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    Pixel BluePixel Blue Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    -

Pixel Blue on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Hey. Hey you. It's a magic flute and you can move stuff around with it. Illusion of Gaia rules.

This one time, at Wizard Camp...

Sorry.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Man, lot of Illusion of Gaia fans in here.

All I'm saying is Soul Blazer was 10000% better.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Pixel Blue wrote: »

Plus, it's gotta be one of the darker RPGs I've ever played. The contents aren't that dark, I guess, but the characters are just so darn serious. The game has a lot of gravitas.
    I don't think any game has made slavery seem as dark/terrible as Illusion of Gaia. Normally it's just a little plot device "zo noes, now we are slaves, let's free these people/break out ourselves!" But here it's more like you save a few and then have to move on. The designers make the evil slaver-types so scary.

There's also the man who dies playing Russian Glass, who forgives you posthumously because he was going to die anyway because of a terminal disease, and was just trying to make money for his wife and kid ... D:

And Hamlet kills himself ... and poor Seth. I remember thinking "oh no, Seth! But we'll save him, right? Right?" You just don't see that kind of thing in most games.

That's the thing I love about the SNES era games. They are serious business, but the environment and setting are so happy and light-hearted.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, lot of Illusion of Gaia fans in here.

All I'm saying is Soul Blazer was 10000% better.

Doesn't matter. It wasn't published by Nintendo here with an awesome shirt, Zelda-style logo, and a Nintendo Power mini-guide in the box. Besides, Illusion of Gaia rocks.

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Pixel Blue wrote: »

Plus, it's gotta be one of the darker RPGs I've ever played. The contents aren't that dark, I guess, but the characters are just so darn serious. The game has a lot of gravitas.
    I don't think any game has made slavery seem as dark/terrible as Illusion of Gaia. Normally it's just a little plot device "zo noes, now we are slaves, let's free these people/break out ourselves!" But here it's more like you save a few and then have to move on. The designers make the evil slaver-types so scary.

There's also the man who dies playing Russian Glass, who forgives you posthumously because he was going to die anyway because of a terminal disease, and was just trying to make money for his wife and kid ... D:

And Hamlet kills himself ... and poor Seth. I remember thinking "oh no, Seth! But we'll save him, right? Right?" You just don't see that kind of thing in most games.

That's the thing I love about the SNES era games. They are serious business, but the environment and setting are so happy and light-hearted.

Reminds me of Poo's ordeal before he joins the party in Earthbound.
    A ghost comes and basically tortures him to death, breaking his arms, then his legs, then removing his eyes. Then, of course, Poo comes to and teleports to Ness' party by running very very quickly in a straight line, so it kind of breaks the tension.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Besides, Illusion of Gaia rocks.

A flute that pulls things toward you when you spin it around.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Besides, Illusion of Gaia rocks.

A flute that pulls things toward you when you spin it around.
    You seem to be forgetting that you can transform into a fucking knight. A knight with a long ass sword that shoots huge balls of dark energy that explodes into beams of even deadlier dark energy.

There's also this shadow guy who takes on the god damn moon.

Don't mess with Gaia fans.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The knight looks stupid. There, I said it.

...although, every time I became him, I'd just get pissed when the game would make me go back to being Will. The knight may have looked like he had downs syndrome, but dammit, at least he had a sword and not a flute. It got to the point that I'd start avoiding enemies and try to find the gate that turns you into Freedan, just so I wouldn't have to fight them with the stupid flute kid instead of the knight. Unless they were in my way or some shit.

Oh, but god help me if there was a wall or pillar that needed breakin'.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The knight looks stupid. There, I said it.

...although, every time I became him, I'd just get pissed when the game would make me go back to being Will. The knight may have looked like he had downs syndrome, but dammit, at least he had a sword and not a flute. It got to the point that I'd start avoiding enemies and try to find the gate that turns you into Freedan, just so I wouldn't have to fight them with the stupid flute kid instead of the knight. Unless they were in my way or some shit.

Oh, but god help me if there was a wall or pillar that needed breakin'.
    This means war, salesman.

Tonberry King on