As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jack Thompson would probably have a seizure if he saw this video...

• Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    SimBen wrote: »
    Are you guys arguing the merits of universal democracy?

Seriously?

I'm never serious about anything.

Evander on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why the fuck are you even talking about this.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    Dyvion wrote: »
    If you're looking to expand it from just military service in to "something that benefits society", then you run in to a HUGE issue of subjectivity. IMO, we should do our darndest to keep the government away from subjective legislation.
    Also, what about folks who simply have no ability to serve our country in any regard? Should they be denied a vote?

Hmm... The only people I can think of that have no ability to serve our country in any regard are criminals in prison, people in a coma... and... uh... none of them vote anyway. If somehow you're implying that competency should be required to vote, then yes, I believe you should be required to meet the criteria for being competent in court to vote.

You're being very coy about outlining your idea of "service", so I cn't give any specific examples, but suffice to say, they will ALWAYS be exceptions, and it realluy bothers me the fact that you are okay with the idea of some folks just being left out in the cold.

This country was founded in order to give people rights. You are advocating changing the costitution in order to REDUCE people's rights. THAT is fucked up, IMO.

No... I'm doing what everyone else is doing, trying to make this a better country. Do you disagree that requiring competency to vote is a bad thing? Should those who lack the mental ability to make decisions that are beneficial to themselves, or who would choose to hurt themselves and/or others, have the ability to influence the way the country is governed? I'm not disputing their right to hurt themselves, I'm disputing their right to influence the governing of my beloved country. Requiring competency to vote would not be a Bad Thing [tm]. Also, this country was founded in order to give people the freedom of religion... many people in this country when it was founded didn't have rights.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Why the fuck are you even talking about this.

Because I am a patriot.

Which is WHY I hate Thomp Jackson

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    If you're looking to expand it from just military service in to "something that benefits society", then you run in to a HUGE issue of subjectivity. IMO, we should do our darndest to keep the government away from subjective legislation.
    Also, what about folks who simply have no ability to serve our country in any regard? Should they be denied a vote?

Hmm... The only people I can think of that have no ability to serve our country in any regard are criminals in prison, people in a coma... and... uh... none of them vote anyway. If somehow you're implying that competency should be required to vote, then yes, I believe you should be required to meet the criteria for being competent in court to vote.

You're being very coy about outlining your idea of "service", so I cn't give any specific examples, but suffice to say, they will ALWAYS be exceptions, and it realluy bothers me the fact that you are okay with the idea of some folks just being left out in the cold.

This country was founded in order to give people rights. You are advocating changing the costitution in order to REDUCE people's rights. THAT is fucked up, IMO.

No... I'm doing what everyone else is doing, trying to make this a better country. Do you disagree that requiring competency to vote is a bad thing? Should those who lack the mental ability to make decisions that are beneficial to themselves, or who would choose to hurt themselves and/or others, have the ability to influence the way the country is governed? I'm not disputing their right to hurt themselves, I'm disputing their right to influence the governing of my beloved country. Requiring competency to vote would not be a Bad Thing [tm]. Also, this country was founded in order to give people the freedom of religion... many people in this country when it was founded didn't have rights.

You are a complete fuckwit to whom the concepts of liberty and democracy are entirely alien and oh god why am I even responding to this.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Also, if I don't "earn" the right to vote, then does that mean that I don't have to pay taxes?

No, you still have to pay taxes, but if you served your two years and then became an economist, you'd get a tax break!

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Founded for religion? Did you miss the Boston Tea Party? The founding of this nation was HEAVILY about taxation without representation, which seems to be what you are advocating.

A single vote from some one lacking competancy will not drive the nation astray, but it WILL protect the votes of many other people who DO deserve them.

It's been a long hard road to get to the point where we are at, but just because we used to have slaves doesn't mean that we should now strip some folks of their right to vote.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You are a complete fuckwit to whom the concepts of liberty and democracy are entirely alien and oh god why am I even responding to this.

Please, and I am being serious, explain to me how liberty and democracy are alien to me.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Also, if I don't "earn" the right to vote, then does that mean that I don't have to pay taxes?

No, you still have to pay taxes, but if you served your two years and then became an economist, you'd get a tax break!

So, you are LITTERALY espousing taxation without representation?

Evander on
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    CaspianX wrote: »
    Most people here are generally in agreement that videogames can have a negative mental impact on young (not like, 15, 16) children, aren't they? Same with schlock gore films.

Um, no. I'm not.

Would you watch Reservoir Dogs with your eight-year olds? Seriously, that comes under the "bad parenting" label for me, and most people I'd hope.

No, I probably would not. However, until you can show substantive proof that viewing violent images has a long-term negative affect on a childs development, then its MY damn business if I do decide to watch it with them.

Also, in case it wasn't clear, I don't agree that there is any proof of "negative mental impact" on young children from violent / sexual videogames.

Also, to establish credentials, I'm a 33 year old father of 2 (number 3 on the way). My son has been playing GTA with me since he was 8.

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Please, and I am being serious, explain to me how liberty and democracy are alien to me.

You want to strip rights and voice from a bunch of people, and create a tiered citizenry.

You LITTERALLY want to create a second class of citizens.

What bothers me more, though, is thatyou think that military service somehow prepares people to vote. I don't see how having a military background makes you better suited for voting, but having an economics background does not.

Evander on
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why do you love Starship Troopers?

fixed.

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Fun to be had by all, no? Ok, so how's this, no service requirement, but you must have a license to vote, similar to a drivers license, showing that you are mentally competent?

e: Added mentally before competent.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Democracy is all ABOUT giving everyone the right to vote. Western civilization is built on the very principle that nobody knows better than anyone else how best to govern, that government is a matter of consensus if the fairest outcome is to be reached. If you start thinking some people's votes are "bad", then it's a slippery slope until you start thinking that only Our Wise Leader knows best and fuck everyone else.

Also, a military-only "democracy" would naturally bend the votes towards militaristic governments, making people opposed to the military silenced, and with no opposition, there is no democracy.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So back to the Jack Thompson thing.

They're going to ban video games (all of them) in Afghanistan. Also reinstate most of the Sharia laws that were in place under the Taliban. (women not allowed to show faces in public, etc.)

Maybe JT should move there. He'd be a happier man for it.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2008%5C04%5C17%5Cstory_17-4-2008_pg7_5

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Fun to be had by all, no? Ok, so how's this, no service requirement, but you must have a license to vote, similar to a drivers license, showing that you are mentally competent?

e: Added mentally before competent.

I do not like it BECAUSE of the potential for abuse.

Voting ALREADY requires registration. Adding some kind of exam to it brings dangerous legal ground. What if there is no one available to proctor in a language that the potential voter speaks? Are the questions the same nation wide, or do they varry by state? Are the requireents the same nation wide, or do they varry by state? Etcetera.

I believe that the sorts of exams you are talking about have been challenged in court, and deemed unlawful. You're advocating rewriting the constitution, then?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Democracy is all ABOUT giving everyone the right to vote. Western civilization is built on the very principle that nobody knows better than anyone else how best to govern, that government is a matter of consensus if the fairest outcome is to be reached. If you start thinking some people's votes are "bad", then it's a slippery slope until you start thinking that only Our Wise Leader knows best and fuck everyone else.

Also, a military-only "democracy" would naturally bend the votes towards militaristic governments, making people opposed to the military silenced, and with no opposition, there is no democracy.

Wait, huh? You were replying to me about what I said about people who want to hurt themselves or others not having the right to vote... I'm not sure you're aware, but people with a felony on their record are not allowed to vote. So in our current system, not everyone has the right to vote. I would just add that people who are not mentally competent in a court of law should also not be allowed to vote. If they have no possible way of understanding the issues at hand, as determined by a court of law, then you're saying they should still be allowed to vote?

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Wait, huh? You were replying to me about what I said about people who want to hurt themselves or others not having the right to vote... I'm not sure you're aware, but people with a felony on their record are not allowed to vote. So in our current system, not everyone has the right to vote. I would just add that people who are not mentally competent in a court of law should also not be allowed to vote. If they have no possible way of understanding the issues at hand, as determined by a court of law, then you're saying they should still be allowed to vote?

I'm saying every citizen should be allowed to vote, no matter the condition. As it is up here in Canada (yes, even convicted felons get to vote here). Putting restrictions is anti-democratic, period.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    SimBen... NOOOOO THEY PULLED YOU INTO THIS TOO!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    FUCK

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I believe that the sorts of exams you are talking about have been challenged in court, and deemed unlawful. You're advocating rewriting the constitution, then?

For the record, I never said anything about an examination. Thinking about it, then yes, it would probably be required, similar to a drivers test I'm thinking. Model it after a drivers license and you pretty much have what I'm thinking of. But to make it really spicy we could add in a mandatory tracking chip that you would be required to use to log on to any computer that would identify you with biometrics so there's no possible way someone to steal your identity. And you would have to pay a monthly fee to keep it current. And just to see if anyone made it this far, we could add backward cat stroking.

I like Evanders stance about never being serious about anything.

Oh, and the constitution is re-written on a regular basis. The first ten amendments stay roughly the same, but the rest of them are fair game.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I like Evanders stance about never being serious about anything.

The other day at work, I was tasked with figuring out if there was a difference between the value of a human life in Wisconsin, and the value of a human life in Virginia.

When you look at things through that lense, how can you take them seriously?

Evander on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Guys, can we move the voting discussion to D&D so we don't get this thread locked? I'd much rather talk about olol Hompson...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    how this thread wasn't locked 8 pages ago is beyond me.

The thread was about Jack Thomson, and now you are talking about civil liberties?

Where are the mods?

Seriously, take this off to D&D, and lets get this thread locked.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    To be fair, Jack Thompson is concerned with civil liberties. He's just concerned with taking them away.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    CaspianXCaspianX Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    To be fair, Jack Thompson is concerned with civil liberties. He's just concerned with taking them away.

For our safety!

... Well, okay, not our safety, as I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy if all gamers suffered a simultaneous worldwide seizure and died. But the safety of everyone else, at least. You know, so long as it gets him book sales and time on poorly-researched TV news shows.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008

For our safety!

... Well, okay, not our safety, as I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy if all gamers suffered a simultaneous worldwide seizure and died. But the safety of everyone else, at least. You know, so long as it gets him book sales and time on poorly-researched TV news shows.

Does he have a book?

Jackie's not anti-gamer; he's anti-youth culture. Games are his current outlet, but far from his first.

Evander on
  • Options
    CaspianXCaspianX Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

For our safety!

Does he have a book?

Jackie's not anti-gamer; he's anti-youth culture. Games are his current outlet, but far from his first.

Yeah, he has a book. Don't ask me any more than that though - I couldn't tell you. You're right about the other thing, though. He's rallied against virtually everything kids these days enjoy, even if adults enjoy it too. It's a wonder he hasn't led a crusade against Harry Potter.

On a side note, I wonder just what this guy was like when he was a kid. I'll bet his mom was over-protective. He probably had to wear protective padding just to be allowed to go outside.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    God fucking damn it Jack you peice of shit. (Updated for accuracy and the fact that the internet is one giant chinese whispers clusterfuck)

Update - It seems it wasn't to his mother, that was an overreaction. It was actually his Lawyer

Fucking internet, get it right.

"I emailed Mr. Thompson who did in fact confirm that he sent this letter, though he sent it to the lawyers representing Strauss Zelnick. In his own words:

I sent it to Strauss Zelnick’s lawyer. I have no idea who his mother is or where she is. You’re familiar with the concept of “shame,” right? He can show it to his mother or not, but of course he won’t because he wouldn’t want his mother to know what he does and how he harms other people’s kids. Can you even grasp the concept?

Jack Thompson, Attorney"

So before rumors get out on the web, this letter was not sent to Zelnick’s mother, but to his lawyers.

We have let Mr. Thompson know that if he has further comments on the matter he is open to contact our website, and are waiting to see if there is a response from Take-Two."

"Dear Mrs. Zelnick:

Your son, as you may know (or maybe you don’t know), is Chairman of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc., whose most popular video games are the Grand Theft Auto murder simulator games banned in some countries but sold to children here.

Your son last week was reported to have said the following about Grand Theft Auto IV, due to be released Tuesday, April 29: “We’ve already received numerous [GTA IV] reviews, and to a one, they are perfect scores. My mom couldn’t write better reviews…” Taking your son’s thought, I would encourage you either to play this game or have an adroit video gamer play it for you. Some of the latter gamers are on death row, so try to find one out in the civilian population who hasn’t killed someone yet.

What you will see in your son’s game, if this iteration of GTA is anything like its predecessors, is incredible interactive violence aimed at police officers (whom you can shoot in the head and see the blood spray), innocent bystanders (whom you can run over with your car just for the heck of it), and of course the plentiful female prostitutes you can have sex with and then filet with a knife or stomp with your feet in order to get your money back. Experts note that the recent plethora of cop killings is caused in part by your darling son’s entrepreneurial energy. There are three policemen dead in Alabama because of Grand Theft Auto. I was on 60 Minutes about it. I hope Strauss has provided you with a flat screen tv to see the grief of the bereaved families that fills the screen.

The pornography and violence that your son trafficks in is the kind of stuff that most mothers would be ashamed to see their son putting into the hands of other mothers’ children, but, hey, your son Strauss has recently assured the world that he is “a Boy Scout, everybody knows that.” I’d love to see the merit badges that Scout Troop handed out. Is there a Ted Bundy merit badge? If so, your loving son deserves one now. It should be red and green, for obvious reasons.

With Passover having just come and gone, it is appropriate to note the following from the Old Testament, Proverbs 22:6:

“Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”

Mrs. Zelnick, did you train up your son, Strauss, to make millions of dollars by pushing Mature-rated video games to children? Any kid can go right to little Strauss’ corporate web site and buy GTA IV with no age verification. Strauss is even marketing the new Grand Theft Auto IV on World Wrestling Entertainment tv shows seen by millions of kids. If you trained up Strauss to do this, then shame on you.

But maybe the explanation for your son’s corporate sociopathy is to be found in Old Testament Proverb 29:15:

“The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.”

Maybe you, Mrs. Zelnick, were so taken by your handsome son that you spared the rod and spoiled the child. That would explain why he has brought you, by the way he presently acts, “to shame.”

There’s another mother you would do well to talk to. Mrs. Crump in Alabama had a son who was a police officer. He’s now dead because a teenaged boy unwittingly trained himself to kill him on Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. She has a grief she carries every day that only a mother can know.There are other such mothers in the heartland of America whose inhabitants your son simply sees as commercial targets.

Your son, this very moment, is doing everything he possibly can to sell as many copies of GTA IV to teen boys in the United States, a country in which your son claims you raised him to be “a Boy Scout.” More like the Hitler Youth, I would say. Happy Mother’s day, Mrs. Zelnick, which this year is May 11, two weeks after your son unleashes porn and violence upon other mothers’ boys. I’m sure you’re very proud.

Sincerely, Jack Thompson"

Seriously, this fucker smokes crack cocaine.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    HAHAHAHA

OH MY GOD

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I would encourage you either to play this game or have an adroit video gamer play it for you. Some of the latter gamers are on death row, so try to find one out in the civilian population who hasn’t killed someone yet.

This made me laugh.

Marathon on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dear Mrs Thompson,

Your son is a control freak douchecopter. You should have hit him harder as a child.

Regards

Waka Laka

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Right so JT is now going to get hit will all kinds of shit for harassment.

Good.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    "Literally" is spelled with one "T."

That annoyed me more than anything else in this godforsaken thread.

Unless Evander was making some kind of warped pun with the root "LITTER," suggesting that Dyvion's points are as good as trash, which I would agree with.

But I think he just doesn't know how to spell "literally."

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Right so JT is now going to get hit will all kinds of shit for harassment.

Good.

Apparently he only sent it to take 2's lawyers, not the actual mother. Sadly, I guess he knew the repurcussions had he dine so.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Update - It seems it wasn't to his mother, that was an overreaction. It was actually his Lawyer

Fucking internet, get it right.

"I emailed Mr. Thompson who did in fact confirm that he sent this letter, though he sent it to the lawyers representing Strauss Zelnick. In his own words:

I sent it to Strauss Zelnick’s lawyer. I have no idea who his mother is or where she is. You’re familiar with the concept of “shame,” right? He can show it to his mother or not, but of course he won’t because he wouldn’t want his mother to know what he does and how he harms other people’s kids. Can you even grasp the concept?

Jack Thompson, Attorney"

So before rumors get out on the web, this letter was not sent to Zelnick’s mother, but to his lawyers.

We have let Mr. Thompson know that if he has further comments on the matter he is open to contact our website, and are waiting to see if there is a response from Take-Two."

Jack Thompson, Attorney?

Fuck that noise I'm going to add my status on everything now.

Waka Laka, drunk, philospher, gamer, artist.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh, it's funny because he's got to get his last few ", Attorney" in his messages because soon even that will be taken from him.

That is, if anything is right in this world.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Doesn't Jack Thompson realize how god-awful the targeting controls in previous Grand Theft Auto games were? I could make a stronger argument for these prior games being DETERRANTS to accurate murder simulation/training. Dear God, if the previous GTA games' style of targeting and weapon use is how criminals have to target people in real life it's a wonder how murder ever even happens.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Looks like it's time to breakoutmy copy of Proverbs, and send Jackie a letter.

By the way, idiot, Passover ain't just "come and gone", it is still going on.

Don't be using the old testament if you don't understand it.

Evander on