As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Open Source Boob Project: degrading or celebrating women?

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What the hell is OSS?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    open source software

Medopine on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The problem, Oboro, is you can only be naive when you're not getting told over and over that you have a problem with gender. This is one of the reasons I don't take OSS advocates seriously.
    You are aware that this really doesn't have anything to do with open-source anything (particularly software), right? This is about some random small group of people at a con who did something, and then one of them ill-advisedly decided it should be a movement once he got home.

I'm a female Linux user with a degree in CS, so trust me, I know what you're on about, but it's not relevant here really at all.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    AngelHedgie do you know more than the rest of us or did you not read the thread? Rectify it, either way (share or catch up or expand on how this is relevant). :D

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    OSS people have a poor habit of not thinking things through. Something seems like a neat idea, and fuck any downsides. It's very much a mentality that things should work the way they should work, and anything beyond the immediate scope of that isn't bothered with.

It's not really OSS people only, but they lack the management structure that says "No" to most techies when they go down this road.

In his case, he had an idea, it started with the grain of an interesting concept, a way for people to know if other people were okay with sexuality at any given point. A packet flag for fondling, as it were. Okay, in a vacuum, this is an interesting concept to play around with.

In reality, it's a QoS flag for self validation, creepy oogling, and underaged desire to be accepted by your peers even on a superficial level. The implimentation was fucked up and involved a lot of shit beyond the initial scope of the project. However, since the implimentation involved a rather fascinating end result (boobs), you have techies going full steam and ignoring the side effects. It's the Ooh Shiney Principal, and it's a dangerous thing that leads to design flaws and scope creep (imagine if they realised girls have other parts than boobies!).

Now that I've completely outed myself as a total fucking nerd, I will say it was a bad idea, it should never have gotten off the ground, and someone should have immediately called foul when that poor girl asked if she was pretty enough to be fondled. At that point the reaction is not "I shall grace your bosoms with my blessings", it's "jesus christ some of these girls have serious issues and need proper support and role models in life to validate them as more than a rack with motor functions." And I'm highly dissapointed that they were so blinded by the idea that this was a noble cause that they proceeded down a dark pathway of being creepy fucks.

kildy on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    As disturbing as this is said button system would make second dates a lot more efficent.

"Red Button? Well no red Lobster for you honey"

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    AngelHedgie do you know more than the rest of us or did you not read the thread? Rectify it, either way (share or catch up or expand on how this is relevant). :D

Well, basically we're just seeing more of the same - kildy has a pretty good explanation of some of the dynamics above. The OSS community has had some serious problems with actually getting women involved, and a large part of it is due to the fact that the vast majority of the community (which is overwhelmingly male) doesn't see anything wrong. Again, I'd really recommend reading that study. This isn't just one idiot, it's just that he's done something profoundly idiotic in a sea of stupid misogynism.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Well, basically we're just seeing more of the same - kildy has a pretty good explanation of some of the dynamics above. The OSS community has had some serious problems with actually getting women involved, and a large part of it is due to the fact that the vast majority of the community (which is overwhelmingly male) doesn't see anything wrong. Again, I'd really recommend reading that study. This isn't just one idiot, it's just that he's done something profoundly idiotic in a sea of stupid misogynism.

We're talking about cons. You're talking about software. The words "Open Source" are only a name, it isn't connected to the software in any relevant way other than possibly a significant overlap in participants and the fact that both fall under the "nerd" umbrella.
    Honestly, this guy needed to get laid in high school, he mentions how the pressures from high school fell away as he fondled the breasts of high school aged girls. I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

We're talking about cons. You're talking about software. The words "Open Source" are only a name, it isn't connected to the software in any relevant way other than possibly a significant overlap in participants and the fact that both fall under the "nerd" umbrella.
    Honestly, this guy needed to get laid in high school, he mentions how the pressures from high school fell away as he fondled the breasts of high school aged girls.
    I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said.

D:

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    To add another point, it seems like initially he was thinking of the fact that some of these girls would want to be groped for their self esteem's sake,
    Yet it wasn't a come-on, either. There wasn't that undertow of desperation of come on, touch me, I need you to validate my self-esteem and maybe we'll hook up later tonight. There was no promise of anything but a simple grope.
    It just seems that as soon as people realized that this was actually happening all thoughts of why someone would want to be fondled got thrown out the window.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    OSS people have a poor habit of not thinking things through. Something seems like a neat idea, and fuck any downsides. It's very much a mentality that things should work the way they should work, and anything beyond the immediate scope of that isn't bothered with.

It's not really OSS people only, but they lack the management structure that says "No" to most techies when they go down this road.

[...]

It's the Ooh Shiney Principal, and it's a dangerous thing that leads to design flaws and scope creep (imagine if they realised girls have other parts than boobies!).

Now that I've completely outed myself as a total fucking nerd, I will say it was a bad idea, it should never have gotten off the ground, and someone should have immediately called foul when that poor girl asked if she was pretty enough to be fondled. At that point the reaction is not "I shall grace your bosoms with my blessings", it's "jesus christ some of these girls have serious issues and need proper support and role models in life to validate them as more than a rack with motor functions." And I'm highly disappointed that they were so blinded by the idea that this was a noble cause that they proceeded down a dark pathway of being creepy fucks.

So then it's not just that the people have social ineptitude or naivety, but rather a mentality common within the OSS community? The "Ooh Shiny Principal" as you put it. It certainly make sense to me in a few ways. I don't necessarily think these guys (and ladies) had malicious intent. But that doesn't change the fact this is incredibly unhealthy and an offensive idea.

I'm not totally convinced there was no manipulation or malicious intent involved, though. Some men and women are plain ol' bad, manipulative and malicious.

And of course I don't mean every nerd guy out there is either an evil creep or a social dumb-ass. I mean there are people who fit these descriptions, period. There are plenty of kind, intelligent nerd men and women out there. Nerds and non-nerds among them. And I'm glad to see the widespread outcry against this.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

Honestly, this guy needed to get laid in high school, he mentions how the pressures from high school fell away as he fondled the breasts of high school aged girls.
    I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said.

D:

Well, he didn't say that.
    But considering that there were high school age girls dressing up in nearly nothing at the con (according to this thread), and that this was at a con, its putting two and two together. Somebody somewhere did something that should have gotten him into a molestation lawsuit, at least considering the button things. Whether it was him, I don't know, but he certainly didn't seem to care who's breasts he was fondling as long as he was granted permission.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Hey, guess what movie I will never ever go see in a theater ever I am so not fucking kidding?
    Really? I went to one once and had a blast.

Don't they ask the people who come if they're "virgins" - ie, first timers - and if you are they basically take you to the front of the theater and have people do some sort of weird S&M dry-humping ritual on you? Because I've heard from multiple independent sources who frequent those things that that sort of shit goes on.

I...I might be into that.

Unless it's dudes, or like that scene from Superbad. D:

You know, it just isn't worth it.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    theferrett wrote:
    I felt the terrors of high school washing away from me. It could be this easy. Just ask!
    theferrett wrote:
    For a moment, everything that was awkward about high school would fade away and you could just say what was on your mind. It was as though parts of me were being healed whenever I did it, and I touched at least fifteen sets of boobs at Penguicon.

I think this is the primary place where it could be argued that he needs psychiatric help.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Holy shit, this is a fucked up thread.

Wow.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    To add another point, it seems like initially he was thinking of the fact that some of these girls would want to be groped for their self esteem's sake,
    Yet it wasn't a come-on, either. There wasn't that undertow of desperation of come on, touch me, I need you to validate my self-esteem and maybe we'll hook up later tonight. There was no promise of anything but a simple grope.
    It just seems that as soon as people realized that this was actually happening all thoughts of why someone would want to be fondled got thrown out the window.

I'm confused, what are you saying here exactly? Are you saying it was or wasn't sexual to one or both parties. It seems pretty clear to me what was going on. It was a negative validation of the nerd girls' self-worth, though not necessarily the only reason. Groping says to them "you are a sexy thing that I find attractive." Many women want to be treated like they are attractive. But some of these nerd girls & women no doubt have a poor self-image, and I can assure you some of them would say yes to a stranger groping them at a con because they feel like it might make this stranger like them. Saying no makes this person not like them, which would only contribute to their poor self-image. Not to say gropings would improve it. They could have easily felt guilty or regretful or creeped out after or during the act.

I can't think of a convincing reason why this "open source boobs project" could result in something positive, though. On some level the men feel good because they can circumvent their social ineptitude to "get some." And the women are either looked down upon for saying no, looking down upon for saying yes, and generally don't get any good feelings out of it.

P.S. I'm not contradicting or arguing with you, just wondering if you feel this was inherently sexual or nor for either or both parties.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    theferrett wrote:
    I felt the terrors of high school washing away from me. It could be this easy. Just ask!
    theferrett wrote:
    For a moment, everything that was awkward about high school would fade away and you could just say what was on your mind. It was as though parts of me were being healed whenever I did it, and I touched at least fifteen sets of boobs at Penguicon.

I think this is the primary place where it could be argued that he needs psychiatric help.
    If you need therapy to get over what happened in high school, go to a fucking therapist and leave me and my breasts out of it.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I forgot about that part.

Fucking...FUCK.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I'm confused, what are you saying here exactly? Are you saying it was or wasn't sexual to one or both parties. It seems pretty clear to me what was going on. It was a negative validation of the nerd girls' self-worth, though not necessarily the only reason. Groping says to them "you are a sexy thing that I find attractive." Many women want to be treated like they are attractive. But some of these nerd girls & women no doubt have a poor self-image, and I can assure you some of them would say yes to a stranger groping them at a con because they feel like it might make this stranger like them. Saying no makes this person not like them, which would only contribute to their poor self-image. Not to say gropings would improve it. They could have easily felt guilty or regretful or creeped out after or during the act.

I can't think of a convincing reason why this "open source boobs project" could result in something positive, though. On some level the men feel good because they can circumvent their social ineptitude to "get some." And the women are either looked down upon for saying no, looking down upon for saying yes, and generally don't get any good feelings out of it.

P.S. I'm not contradicting or arguing with you, just wondering if you feel this was inherently sexual or nor for either or both parties.

I mean that at first he had his initially "noble" goals and stated that it wasn't about girls validating themselves by having themselves groped, the meaning of the quote. And I believe that, but as time went on him and his groping mob ignored where the boobs were coming from.
    As far as said "noble" goals, he basically thinks that by allowing people to randomly grope each other he would do the world a favor by allowing people to express their sexual desires and remove sexual tension. This also went both ways, although the "Open Source Scrotum project" was less noticed by this thread due to the fact that its mentioned deep within the thread, in the edits.
    Essentially, if anyone was allowed to grope anyone nobody would feel dirty about the fact that they wanted to grope someone but they couldn't.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

Wow.

So...no green button for you?

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    And since I know where the next comment is coming from no, I don't think the rights of nerds to feel less sexually awkward through being able to grope people is a more important right then the right of women to not feel marginalized because they don't want to be groped. I don't agree with him, but thats where he's coming from.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Wow.

If I ever go to a con I'm dressing entirely in red

Medopine on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How could this possibly be taken as a "celebration" of women? I mean, yes it's technically people exercising freedom but that in no way makes it not demeaning to women. It's like saying prostitution isn't inherently exploitative as long as the prostitute engages in the act willingly, consensual it may be, but exploitation it definitely is.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    And since I know where the next comment is coming from no, I don't think the rights of nerds to feel less sexually awkward through being able to grope people is a more important right then the right of women to not feel marginalized because they don't want to be groped. I don't agree with him, but thats where he's coming from.

*Nods* I didn't think you were agreeing with him, trust me! I understand now his thought process, and I'm sad to see he didn't think it through enough.

I sort of glad his intentions weren't initially malicious, but I am severely disappointed that he didn't think it through, and apparently he didn't stop when he realized it was a way for him to vicariously defeat the sexual frustration of his youth. I mean Jesus it sounds like he possibly fondled and underage girl, and no warning bells went off in his head until after the fact. Not good, I think he needs some help.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Wow.

Frankly you might as well just dress entirely in stun guns and mace sprayers.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    How could this possibly be taken as a "celebration" of women? I mean, yes it's technically people exercising freedom but that in no way makes it not demeaning to women. It's like saying prostitution isn't inherently exploitative as long as the prostitute engages in the act willingly, consensual it may be, but exploitation it definitely is.

It isn't a celebration of women, its a celebration of tits. They don't even mention the names of the girls who have the tits.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Wow.
    Frankly you might as well just dress entirely in stun guns and mace sprayers.
    Soap would probably be a better deterrent.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Or just pull an I Love Lucy and dress like a guy.

Kagera on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    why on earth do you think that it is a failing of his that he didn't put names of people on the internet, picard? Are you retarded?

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I get behind the idea that these buttons might be just fine if there were a green/red button for the guys. It's just, guys don't have anything exactly equal to a girls breasts, not from my prespective.

My immediate thought was balls. But on second thought, a lot probably wouldn't see that as fair game. Guy boobs... that'd be like trading a kiss for a hug. Guy boobs just don't carry any of the strong social weight that girl boobies do. See "Shirtlessness between sexes."

Ass-grabbing also seems a weak trade...

I just don't know.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

*Nods* I didn't think you were agreeing with him, trust me! I understand now his thought process, and I'm sad to see he didn't think it through enough.

I sort of glad his intentions weren't initially malicious, but I am severely disappointed that he didn't think it through, and apparently he didn't stop when he realized it was a way for him to vicariously defeat the sexual frustration of his youth. I mean Jesus it sounds like he possibly fondled and underage girl, and no warning bells went off in his head until after the fact. Not good, I think he needs some help.

And his thought process is why this connects back into cons in general: nerds are almost by definition sexually frustrated. Putting them next to girls who dress in order to attract sexual attention is almost asking for stuff like this to take place.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

It isn't a celebration of women, its a celebration of tits. They don't even mention the names of the girls who have the tits.

i like how the dude tries to make this thing sound like some kind of holy grail of human self-worth and mutual respect that he and his dumbass friends discovered but can't think of another word to use except "boobs"

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I get behind the idea that these buttons might be just fine if there were a green/red button for the guys. It's just, guys don't have anything exactly equal to a girls breasts, not from my prespective.

My immediate thought was balls. But on second thought, a lot probably wouldn't see that as fair game. Guy boobs... that'd be like trading a kiss for a hug. Guy boobs just don't carry any of the strong social weight that girl boobies do. See "Shirtlessness between sexes."

Ass-grabbing also seems a weak trade...

I just don't know.

Read the article. They had buttons for the guys' junk.
    Hmmm... though I guess you're right, because the vast majority of guys at the con would want to have their junk grabbed, so that doesn't really make it equal. I think the reason isn't actually physiology but just the way gender roles work. We expect guys to be horndogs and girls to act like they have no needs. That's the reason it isn't equal, more than anything.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »

i like how the dude tries to make this thing sound like some kind of holy grail of human self-worth and mutual respect that he and his dumbass friends discovered but can't think of another word to use except "boobs"

I feel like using more then one description for the mammary glands would weaken the writing, so he used the "common term", so to speak.
    Either it would weaken the writing or make him sound like a perv, describing all of the tits, boobs, chesticles, funbags etc.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »

I feel like using more then one description for the mammary glands would weaken the writing, so he used the "common term", so to speak.
    Either it would weaken the writing or make him sound like a perv, describing all of the tits, boobs, chesticles, funbags etc.

or he could've just said "breasts" so he didn't seem like as much of a horny 13 year old

i just think it's funny that this guy tries to use incredibly flowery and lofty language to try and put his plan for feeling girls up in the most positive and mature light, but then decided on using the word "boobs"

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's been said before, but damn, this is the kind of thing that makes the majority that are normal con-goers hide the fact that they go to cons, then you don't have to explain shit like this. Just an embarrassment. Too often at anime cons at least it seems like people just don't stop to think "Is what I'm doing reasonable?" or they are so in their own little world anyways that they don't have a proper concept of what is reasonable.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Wow.

If i was female i wouldn't go unless i was dressed like this
    m1abrams.jpg

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008

And his thought process is why this connects back into cons in general: nerds are almost by definition sexually frustrated. Putting them next to girls who dress in order to attract sexual attention is almost asking for stuff like this to take place.

it certainly doesn't make it excusable. People in any social situation need to act with a minimum modicum of respect and maturity. (I'm not saying you are excusing this behavior.) Being socially inept or awkward isn't an excuse, it's a common problem that men and women deal with. Hell for years I was incredibly socially awkward and shy, but I did my best and I got better using various techniques.

being very shy or socially naive/awkward isn't inherently a bad thing people should be ashamed of. But when they use it as a rationale or crutch for really negative behavior like the OSBP, that's unacceptable. People need to think, educate themselves, and get help if they need it.

If I may be so bold, I'm going to say there isn't a male equivalent, because mens' bodies are so rarely treated as sex objects.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Wow.

If i was female i wouldn't go unless i was dressed like this
    m1abrams.jpg

I'm kinda curious to hear the thought process which led you to believe that a girl in a tank would attract less attention from nerds.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm sure she'd get a lot of self-worth validating attention, but i think that crushing the unwashed hordes as they try to grope your metal flanks is the positive kind.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]