As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LTTP: PC Adventure Games

Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
Unfortunately, I didn't grow up as a PC gamer so I missed a lot of good Adventure games. I've recently built a pretty decent gaming rig and would like to make up for lost time. I have two requests:
  • 1) Can people just recommend some adventures game I should have played [Grim Fandango?] and games I should be playing [Sam and Max?]?
  • 2) Can somebody recommend a fairly modern, realistic looking adventure game with a solid and coherent story?
I picked up Syberia on a whim about a year ago, I never did get around to playing too much of it. I heard on these forums though that it wasn't that great at all, is it worth my time?

We don't really need to worry about system requirements either.

Thanks. =)

EDIT:

The Longest Journey (Steam)
Dreamfall (Steam)
Monkey Island Games (RARE)
Day of the Tentacle (RARE)
Broken Sword 1, 2 and 3 (RARE)
Discworld Noir (RARE)
Full Throttle (RARE)
Grim Fandango (RARE)
Sam and Max series (Retail, or Steam?) - Xagarath

Quest for Glory (Gametap) - nlawalker

Maniac Mansion (RARE)
Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis (RARE) - Shadowfire

Beneath a Steel Sky (http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php)
Discworld 1
Police Quest series - bigwillch

Regicid3 on

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Play The Longest Journey (and sequal Dreamfall), the first 3 Monkey Island Games, Day of the Tentacle, Broken Sword 1, 2 and 3, Discworld Noir, Full Throttle and the two you named.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You should pick up any of the old Lucasarts adventure games you can find. Also, try out the two free sam and max episodes from telltale

Can't really help with the realistic adventure games

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Quest for Glory is old (you'll need DosBox, and maybe some other compatibility helpers for the newer ones), but it's brilliant and funny. There's fighting too, but the majority of each game is spent adventuring: talking, solving puzzles, getting/applying items, etc.

There's an "anthology" that has the first four games, and I think there's a "collection" that has all five. You'll probably have to eBay for them. The first two games were controlled with arrow keys and typed commands, but the first game was updated to VGA and mouse input. The second one was never updated, but it's fantastic.

You can export your character from each adventure and into the next one if you like. If you do this across each game, as opposed to starting a new character each time, you can become pretty powerful and varied.

They are a challenge, too, in some cases really calling for looking up hints on the Internet. Very satisfying and fun to play though.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Quest for Glory 1-3 are available on Gametap, if you're into that. Same with the new Sam & Max series.

If you can get a hold of them, I'll second the suggestion of the first three Monkey Island games, as well as Grim Fandango, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis, and any other LucasArts adventure game.

Also, The Longest Journey, then Dreamfall.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My ultimate favorites are:
    Escape from Monkey Island. So very awesome.
    Day of the Tentacle. Hilariously hilarious.

Smashism on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm glad to see QfG mentioned so early. Those games practically defined my childhood.

One of the best parts about Quest For Glory is that they tried so hard to avoid the "You missed one innocuous item 3 hours ago and now you have to restart" scenarios that plagued early adventure games. They're a unique kind of game though, in that they're fairly slow-paced, even for adventure games, and rely more heavily on dialogue than any other game I've played barring Phoenix Wright. If that thought doesn't turn you off, though, you'll probably love them.

Mars on
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just finished The Longest Journey, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. It's absolutely fantastic, and it's only $9.99 on Steam. There is no excuse. I haven't played Dreamfall yet, but I will shortly, if only because I want to know what happens next.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mars wrote: »
    I'm glad to see QfG mentioned so early. Those games practically defined my childhood.

One of the best parts about Quest For Glory is that they tried so hard to avoid the "You missed one innocuous item 3 hours ago and now you have to restart" scenarios that plagued early adventure games. They're a unique kind of game though, in that they're fairly slow-paced, even for adventure games, and rely more heavily on dialogue than any other game I've played barring Phoenix Wright. If that thought doesn't turn you off, though, you'll probably love them.

i.e. Kings Quest series.

I still loved playing them though.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    bigwillchbigwillch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Beneath a Steel Sky. (Now freeware. Download here http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php)

Discworld 1

Police Quest series

bigwillch on
    fss.png
    xbox GT: Big Will C H
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    In this age of digital distribution, the persistent unavailability of its old adventure games is further evidence that Lucasarts is evil.

Do your best to seek them out though, as they are truly great and entertaining games. Grim Fandango is one of my favourites.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mars wrote: »

I always enjoyed the RPG part of QfG, the puzzles were also damn good and not of the old hair ripping frustration stuff that early Sierra games were made of. I just wish that more games would have stolen QfG's formula of Adventure and RPG.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Syberia I and II were pretty good, although the second was far too hard. Recently I played through Still Life as there's supposed to be a sequel out at some point. It's an enjoyable story but the game isn't that great. Good if you're an idiot like me though.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So, it looks like I'll definitely be getting The Longest Journey and Quest For Glory as they're easy to currently access. Hopefully Goozex can help me with the old Lucasarts adventures.

I'm going to update the OP with the recommendations.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Sweet Jesus... GameTap has Betrayal at Krondor (not an adventure game but a good-sized component of my youth) and QFG 1-3. I will be seriously checking out that site tonight, as I've never really looked at it before.

My only warning is that QFG 1 on GameTap is not the enhanced VGA version. It will be more difficult, but probably more rewarding.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks, I've got a lot of good recommendations and learned that Lucasarts truly is evil. It looks like TLJ and Dreamfall are the closest I'll get to my desire for a realistic adventure game?

I'm with you, nlawalker . . . I will be checking out Gametap tonight as well.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Are there any old LucasArts games that are legally free now? I've always wanted to play the Monkey Islands, the Sam & Max's, the Indiana Joneses, etc.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I recommend the Gabriel Knight series. It's notorious for having shitty puzzles and generally being very obtuse and difficult, but I personally think they're among the finest examples of non-comedic adventure games you can find. The characters are very charismatic, and, aside from the terrible FMV acting in the second game, it has a great cast. Tim Curry is especially wonderful, with his exaggerated New Orleans accent.

It also has fantastic music, and a surprisingly complex pulp detective plot; The Beast Within revolves around a lost Wagner opera, for example. The second and third games will seem dated by today's standards, but the first game has some very awesome sprite art. At least check that one out if you can find it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Blade Runner
    Culpa Innata

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A LucasArts game that seems to be particularly hard to find, but that I quite enjoyed is Loom. It is a story based around music, and it doesn't give you an inventory, but rather an instrument upon which you can play a set of notes. Those notes can be used to perform various spells (basically) and they are used for the game puzzles. The difficulty levels, if I remember correctly, correspond to whether you can see what notes are being played, or whether you have to judge and repeat them by ear. (I'm essentially tone deaf, so I can't do that, but it's neat for the musically inclined). It's very short, though, so it's not worth a great expenditure to get it. One thing to note is that there are a few versions of this game, and while CD audio might be an improvement, I've read that they did some significant story cutting to do it, so you might want the older text version if you can find it on ebay or something.

Full Throttle is my favorite of the old LucasArts games, but it's also pretty short. It is so much fun to go back and replay, though. It has such a great "feel." I really wish they hadn't cancelled the sequel.

Honestly, they need to make a LucasArts pack available on Steam with all of the old DOS games running in Dosbox (they'd prolly have to cut out the combat in Full Throttle, it doesn't seem to run well for me). I'd happily spend $60 to get a complete collection, because I've lost most of mine and have never played some of them, like The Dig.

In terms of "realistic" adventure games, you might try Myst V. It's not the same sort of dialog/joke/point-and-click game, but I would still consider it an adventure game. I don't think you need to have played the prior games to appreciate it. Though I would recommend going back and playing Myst and Riven just because they're so nifty anyways. I haven't played most of the more point-and-click heavy realistic adventures that have been out lately, so I'm also hoping for recommendations from this thread.

edit: I second Blade Runner. I had forgotten about it, but it's really quite nifty, and although the graphics aren't great and some of the puzzles force me to run to a FAQ, I think it's definitely worth the time. It has a lot of the feel of Blade Runner.

Also, I don't know of any of the LucasArts games being free. You might find them, but I would make the assumption that it is not legal to do so. This goes back to them needing to put them on Gametap or Steam or wherever! Put in a little effort so I can give you my money!

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I recommend the Gabriel Knight series. It's notorious for having shitty puzzles and generally being very obtuse and difficult, but I personally think they're the finest examples of non-comedic adventure games you can find. The characters are very charismatic, and, aside from the terrible FMV acting in the second game, it has a great cast. Tim Curry is especially wonderful, with his exaggerated New Orleans accent.

It also has fantastic music, and a surprisingly complex pulp detective plot; The Beast Within revolves around a lost Wagner opera, for example. The second and third games will seem dated by today's standards, but the first game has some very awesome sprite art. At least check that one out if you can find it.

Man what. I know GK3 had that illogical moustache puzzle (and the cuckoo clock thing in GK2, I guess), GK1 didn't (to my knowledge) really have shitty puzzles and I don't recall it being overtly difficult (although it's been years and I'm ofcourse looking back on it now with the knowledge on how to beat the games).

But yes, the Gabriel Knight games, they're awesome.

Also, agreed with the guys that are recommended the Quest for Glory games (ah, memories). Not that I disagree with the other recommendations in this thread ;)

Also also, the Dig. It's great if you enjoy a good sci-fi story.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Man what. I know GK3 had that illogical moustache puzzle (and the cuckoo clock thing in GK2, I guess), GK1 didn't (to my knowledge) really have shitty puzzles and I don't recall it being overtly difficult (although it's been years and I'm ofcourse looking back on it now with the knowledge on how to beat the games).

It's certainly more difficult than any Lucasarts game. Although it has also been years since I've played it, I seem to recall having been stuck at the puzzle where you have to dress up as a priest.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited April 2008

It's certainly more difficult than any Lucasarts game. Although it has also been years since I've played it, I seem to recall having been stuck at the puzzle where you have to dress up as a priest.

Heh. That didn't take my young mind very long to figure out at all. The game does hint it at you as well, no perma deaths for such things in this game (thank god). I must say though, years of playing adventure games as a kid twisted and warped my mind to find such puzzles *logical*.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest and Space Quest series MUST be played!

Well..KQ not so much, but still, all three massive collections are available on store shelves for super cheap. There is literally no excuse not to play them.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Heh. That didn't take my young mind very long to figure out at all. The game does hint it at you as well, no perma deaths for such things in this game (thank god). I must say though, years of playing adventure games as a kid twisted and warped my mind to find such puzzles *logical*.

Yeah, the one puzzle that always sticks out in my mind as being the perfect example of illogical logic is the part in Monkey Island 2 where you have to use a monkey as a winch to lower a bridge or somesuch.

It's not like I haven't played tons of adventure games in my day, but sometimes it clicks and sometimes it doesn't. I've always found it funny when people complain about the cat puzzle in GK 3, because it never occurred to me how absurd that thing is until Old Man Murray pointed it out. When I first played the game I didn't have much trouble with it on account of just being corrupted by adventure game logic.

That puzzle aside, I do still consider the GK games to be on the harder end of the difficulty spectrum. If you're new to the genre, you'll probably find more enjoyment with the use of a FAQ.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah, the one puzzle that always sticks out in my mind as being the perfect example of illogical logic is the part in Monkey Island 2 where you have to use a monkey as a winch to lower a bridge or somesuch.
    Ah yes, the infamous monkey wrench.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Agreed Cherrn. The first time I saw the cat puzzle pointed out I thought "but that puzzle wasn't that hard. I mean.. it's logical that jam is sticky, isn't it? And then using it on the cat hair to make a moustache that makes perfect sense!". Which, thinking on it, it really doesn't. I mean, who logically would stick cat hair on their upper lip with jam? Really?

Still, GK1 is worth a shot. The story's really good (not that the other two GK games aren't good, it's just probably better to start with part 1).

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

So I wasn't the only one that had to look that up.

In fact, as far as I can remember, I had to look up how to do everything from there on. If I remember right,
    You dress up as the priest so you can get into some underground base where a bunch of bad guys are. Trying to figure out what to do when you are there is a royal pain in the ass.

EDIT: Did anyone in here play the Legend of Kyrandia games? I remember those being pretty fun, if not very difficult and needing a walkthrough for a lot of things. There's only a single "use" action that you use to interact with the world, but puzzles revolve around use of your inventory items on the environment and on each other, often in nonintuitive ways.

There's none of the stupid "you missed an item three hours ago, you die now," but the entire game is item focused. It's pretty much moving screen to screen, clicking everything that looks like it can be picked up, and then trying to figure out how you're supposed to use it. I played through all three, and they were fun but not particularly memorable.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    nlawalker wrote: »

So I wasn't the only one that had to look that up.

In fact, as far as I can remember, I had to look up how to do everything from there on. If I remember right,
    You dress up as the priest so you can get into some underground base where a bunch of bad guys are. Trying to figure out what to do when you are there is a royal pain in the ass.
    You dress up as a priest to get into the old lady's house so you can make a copy of the snake bracelet. You don't need to dress up as a priest for the underground base in the cathedral. I think mostly about the base what bothered me was the feeling of pressure, that feeling of "if I don't hurry someone's gonna catch me and kill me". Though really, the only scary thing down there is Dr John. Such a bastard he was

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The main ones I was going to recommend (Beneath a Steel Sky, original Sam and Max, Grim Fandango, Discworld, Blade Runner) have all been mentioned.

Great thread though.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The ones that mostly stuck with me for Kyrandia were 2 and 3. Two because it was one of the few games in those days where I got to play as a woman (King's Quest 4 being the other one, a few years earlier) and three because you got to play as Malcolm. Although I was stuck on that whole jungle temple bit for ages. They're not quite as excellent as some of the stuff mentioned in this thread though.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The ones that mostly stuck with me for Kyrandia were 2 and 3. Two because it was one of the few games in those days where I got to play as a woman (King's Quest 4 being the other one, a few years earlier) and three because you got to play as Malcolm. Although I was stuck on that whole jungle temple bit for ages. They're not quite as excellent as some of the stuff mentioned in this thread though.

For all its many, many flaws, I really enjoyed the Kyrandia series, the Malcolm one in particular. Not enough adventure games let you play as the widely reviled bad guy.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, Kyrandia 3 had some really cool stuff in it, but the whole game just felt broken. It was one of my first CD-ROM games, though, along with 7th Guest, so it'll always have a special place in my broken soul. Malcolm was awesome; that game had terrific voice acting.

The whole game was very non-linear and I don't think I ever saw all the different ways you could progress to the end. I do remember finding a magic knife at some point near the end, and if you used it on yourself it'd go something like:

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS?

YES/NO

YOU WILL DIE

YES/NO

OKAY, YOU ASKED FOR IT

And then the knife would stab the shit of you, filling the screen up with gore. That got a big D: out of me.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    7th Guest - Horror-ish, puzzle
    11th Hour - Sequel to the above

Already mentioned, but:
    Syberia I
    Syberia II

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, Kyrandia 3 had some really cool stuff in it, but the whole game just felt broken. It was one of my first CD-ROM games, though, along with 7th Guest, so it'll always have a special place in my broken soul. Malcolm was awesome; that game had terrific voice acting.

The whole game was very non-linear and I don't think I ever saw all the different ways you could progress to the end. I do remember finding a magic knife at some point near the end, and if you used it on yourself it'd go something like:

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS?

YES/NO

YOU WILL DIE

YES/NO

OKAY, YOU ASKED FOR IT

And then the knife would stab the shit of you, filling the screen up with gore. That got a big D: out of me.

Hahaha, I vaguely remember that. Same facial expression and all, here. The first time you do it, it's so unexpected that it scares the shit out of you.

And to FantasyRogue, that just goes to show how long ago I played that game. I remember there being very few hints, and I remember getting caught over and over in that underground area. I only got ten minutes into the FMV game before it struck me as stupid and I uninstalled it.

Kyrandia 2 was "cute." It had some neat ideas in it. And there was a typo at the beginning I'll never forget:
    Anyone remember "windy woof?" It took me so long to figure out what the deal was with that.

But yeah, all three of those games felt broken to me. Sometimes they gave you absolutely nothing to go on, and devolved into clickfests worse than Myst.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm going to second Police Quest, Space Quest, and Loom.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Nlawalker, I just have such a selective memory and such a love for old adventures, *especially* Gabriel Knight, that I could probably beat the game right now, off the top of my head, without actually having the game in front of me :P I'm just weird like that. GK2, the FMV one, was actually pretty good. It's the only FMV game I've played actually that wasn't horribly painfully bad.

Kyrandia 2 was indeed, cute. I liked the whole potion making aspect of it and the lightheartedness.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2008
    I find the lack of Superhero League of Hoboken to be disturbing.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2008

Kyrandia 2 was "cute." It had some neat ideas in it. And there was a typo at the beginning I'll never forget:
    Anyone remember "windy woof?" It took me so long to figure out what the deal was with that.

That's not a typo, it's a bad pun.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you're curious to try some of the older DOS adventure games, gametap has a half dozen of the Sierra ones.

And two, why does everyone keep calling Dreamfall an adventure game? The lack of puzzles in that game was criminal - you bobbed along solving puzzles even the lowliest of noobs could figure out, getting into the occasional broken sword fighting sequence or out-of-place stealth section. Dreamfall wasn't even a game but rather a narrative with fetch quests.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »

That's not a typo, it's a bad pun.

It's a typo!

It's supposed to be
    "windy wood." Not "windy" as in "the wind that blows" but "windy" as in "wind up clock." It refers to the gnarlybark, the twisted up branch you can take off of the tree as a potion ingredient. The F and D keys are right next to each other, thus, "windy woof."

Anyways, it still boggles my mind that the Kyrandia games were so friendly and cute, yet so difficult. A built in hint system or better design would have made them really memorable.

nlawalker on