As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] This Thread is Defunct.

1676869707173»

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The D&D group I play regularely with right now did not start out as some of my closest friends.

They were dudes I met at an anime club and overheard them talking about D&D and expressed interest and got invited.

They only became my close friends afterwards.

Pony on
  • Options
    FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear, I don't understand why anybody would want to do this, the game of D&D by itself isn't that fun, but doing it with a group of friends is.
    ....obviously people disagree with you. Also, some people can have pleasant social interactions with people they do not label "friends".

Thats fine, I am just stating my opinion on the matter, there are a ton of other games that are much more simple and better suited to having "pleasant" social interactions with random people. I guess we need SOMETHING to discuss because most of us aren't playing yet, it just seems silly to me to get stuck on a single power that has many simple solutions some of which may be posted on the site before we even get our books.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    The D&D group I play regularely with right now did not start out as some of my closest friends.

They were dudes I met at an anime club and overheard them talking about D&D and expressed interest and got invited.

They only became my close friends afterwards.

I agree, the group I am hoping to lose my D&D virginity with are people I have yet to meet. By the time this particular issue becomes a "problem" the group your playing with is mostly likely going to be friends.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ...I guess we need SOMETHING to discuss because most of us aren't playing yet, it just seems silly to me to get stuck on a single power ....

We are not alone there, the DDI/Gleemax boards are burning up over this, and far...FAR more insignificant topics.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Is Keep on the Shadowfell intended to be set in the Forgotten Realms?

Edit: So my order shipped from Barnes and Noble a couple of days ago and has just reached Hodgkins, IL which is presumably a few hours out of Chicago, the city I live in. Estimated arrival is Monday and I am very bummed.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    you should see enworld
    most pedantic shit ever

Pony on
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Their Nerd-Rage runneth over!

EDIT: @FanciestWalnut Shadowfell is were ever you want it. They purposely made things in the core books super generic. the PDF issue of dungeon on DDI has an article on putting shadowfell in a specific setting.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thats fine, I am just stating my opinion on the matter, there are a ton of other games that are much more simple and better suited to having "pleasant" social interactions with random people. I guess we need SOMETHING to discuss because most of us aren't playing yet, it just seems silly to me to get stuck on a single power that has many simple solutions some of which may be posted on the site before we even get our books.
    Having done quite a bit of "Con" gaming I'd say I think it works well for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest is probably the self-selecting subset of players in such things. Around 90% of the people I've played with were "Fun" to "Neutral" where neutral is closer to "Shy". Around 9% were mildly annoying but nothing really out of bounds for any social group. The 1% is best not spoken of.

As for innane BS I'm rather surprised to have not seen anything about Careful Attack here yet. I have been skimming the past few days because of my workload though.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There are people who want the core books to be extremely rigid and consistent, and are still friends with each other.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aegeri is approaching DnD as a complete system that he wants to get consistent results from with all of the involved factors (Like the card game Magic) That way the DM is there to encourage roleplaying and making the monsters work well, instead of making sure the system works, or inventing new factors to ensure that system works before you even sit at the table. This approach is good for any group of people, from "good friends" to "random people from the street"

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Fucking hell Hodgkins is maybe 30 minutes away from where I live if the books sit there until Monday I am going to flip my shit.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fucking hell Hodgkins is maybe 30 minutes away from where I live if the books sit there until Monday I am going to flip my shit.
    Amazon sent the Billing Information at 3 pm on the release date for my product that I ordered with Next Day shipping. Those bastards.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    OH YEAH!

Type: Package
    Delivered On: 06/06/2008
    6:08 P.M.

B & N delivered it 3 days early!
    WOOOOOOO!

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got the rulebooks.

awm nawm nawm

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shadowfell spoiler:
    Why do a bunch of the enemies seem to have an additional +1 bonus to all of their attribute modifiers?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So the Gift Set is now backordered on Amazon (not avail until the 16th). My order hasn't shipped yet... I'm hoping there are still some that are being used to fill preorders...

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Shadowfell spoiler:
    Why do a bunch of the enemies seem to have an additional +1 bonus to all of their attribute modifiers?
    Because all monster stats show the ability modifier + half their level, as that is what you would used for untrained skills or opposed ability checks or anything like that.

they do the math for you so you don't forget.

Pony on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cool story from a game last night:

We were in a "circular" room with a 10' tall platform in the center of the room as well as a ramp to the south leading to a 10' high ledge and stairs to the east leading to another 10' high ledge. Part of the gimmick of the room is that as soon as we enter, a large boulder comes down the ramp and begins rolling around the base of the center platform, and so if you stay in that portion too long, the boulder runs you over. On top of that, there are several kobolds on both the south and east ledges raining attacks down on us.

So, most of our group (myself included) manages to get up the ramp to the south ledge, whereas the rest manage to get up the stairs to the east ledge. We manage to drop all of the kobolds on the south ledge, but our dragonborn warlord (who is with us) can't get to the guys on the east ledge safely because of the rolling boulder. Instead, he does a running, leaping diagonal charge across the gap between the two ledges, bull rushing the kobold talonpriest on the other side out of the way, knocking the kobold off the ledge (for 1d10 falling damage) and directly into the path of the boulder!

It was awesome.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Teleportation counts as movement. The Orcus killer would either be dead or very very hurt before he got to do anything at all to Orcus. Well, unless Orcus missed his tail lash.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My last anon group of D&D ended very badly due to elitist and power-gamey shit-dickery. (if you want to power-game, that is fine, when you shit over what I like to use and play as as a player, or worse, when I'm a DM, I have a problem with you. "Oh noes we might have to make unranked Knowledge: Psionics checks. BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!")

Now, I talk to people and guage for shit-dickery first.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Maticore on
This discussion has been closed.