As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Edge didn't like it very much...

13»

• Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    If you read the thread, I believe Edge used preview code that didn't have a month's worth of iteration on the combat system and the block mechanic in particular.

Regardless, the block mechanic isn't the only way to win fights in the game, and the criticism they make is still valid. You do have to use trial and error to spot the right moment to block with each enemy and you do use it as a crutch. How important that is depends on each player, but I doubt using the final code would have sent the score up to 7.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    NoelVeiga wrote: »
    You do have to use trial and error to spot the right moment to block with each enemy and you do use it as a crutch.

This is wrong. There is a tooltip that tells you when you need to block. I missed on the 360 demo but I noticed it on the PC one. Noticing it, it makes it a heck of a lot easier.

devoir on
  • Options
    polyGhostpolyGhost Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    As an EDGE reader since issue 1 and a long time Penny Arcade reader I was a little surprised by EDGE's review. I bought Rainslick last night (PC version, I would have **loved** to have bought the PS3 version...) and having played a bit of it I think the EDGE review is way off base. I think EDGE (or at least the anonymous reviewer) was just either just playing The Hard Man Of Game Reviews or just doesn't **get** Penny Arcades brand of humour. Never mind, most gamers don't read EDGE so hopefully the damage will be limited :)

polyGhost on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    NoelVeiga wrote: »
    You do have to use trial and error to spot the right moment to block with each enemy and you do use it as a crutch.

This is wrong. There is a tooltip that tells you when you need to block. I missed on the 360 demo but I noticed it on the PC one. Noticing it, it makes it a heck of a lot easier.

Is there?

There is one that tells you that you need to block "before the attack hits", but I didn't notice any onscreen prompts to tell you when that is, exactly. On the 360, at least. It might be a version thing.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    HH VladHH Vlad Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The enemy health bar will flash within a window of the correct timing to give you a hint to learn that particular enemy.

HH Vlad on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    HH Vlad wrote: »
    The enemy health bar will flash within a window of the correct timing to give you a hint to learn that particular enemy.

Good to know.

I mean, It'd have been good to know yesterday, but it's good to know.

See, this is one of the details of the game that don't scale down good to a 360. Particularly not if you don't have an HDTV or are sitting too far from the TV.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    RosettiRosetti Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I tend to think of Edge as the pessimistic gamers magazine. Well, hay, thankyou for reminding me why I stopped reading it.

Rosetti on
    warcrueid_standing.gif
    A crude broom stand.
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This game is several points above a 4 on a 1/10 scale no matter how you slice it.

Fuck Edge.

Drool on
  • Options
    benjammn311benjammn311 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I mean, It'd have been good to know yesterday, but it's good to know.
    It was definitely in the fighting tutorial. Not to say that I didn't notice it until the third time through the demo, but it is there.

benjammn311 on
    1211437077610tt8.jpg
    I lol'd. :lol: