Options

Where do lost games go?

harvestharvest By birthright,a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
I suspect lost games end up the same place that lost socks and pens go. Maybe some kind of parallel dimension where these everyday objects gain sentience and go about their own lives. Wherever.

Today I'm sad because I seem to have lost my Guitar Hero 3 disc. It's not in the TV room, I cleaned it good and didn't find it. It's not in the living room, or my bedroom, or any other place I've looked. I can't afford to replace it either, so that's a double bummer.

Now I'm kind of listlessly staring at my HDTV thinking Now what am I supposed to play? My brain is like a skipping vinyl record going "Guitar hero is fun, lets play that!" over and over.

Past lost games I really regret losing include Deus Ex, Batman (NES), Donkey Kong Country, and Final Fantasy Legend 2.

B6yM5w2.gif
harvest on

• Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    maybe someone stole it.

:p

But i've lost D2 and starcraft discs alot. thank god they're cheap.

Fuga on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm pretty hermit or dragonlike and never leave my lair, and never invite anyone into it.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Only game I've lost is Kirby Superstar. I had a friend in like the 4th grade who was fucking obsessed with it, even more than me. It got to the point where all he would want to do when he came over was play that. So I hid it and told him that I had lost it.

When I checked the hiding spot later it had somehow vanished on me. Never found it. In retrospect I wouldn't be surprised if that fucker found it and stole it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2008
    They go on vacation to the Louvre.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My sister stole my GH2 disk. Which sucks because a movie theater by me is having a GH2 tournament in the coming weeks and I wanted to practice...

Remington on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Island of Misfit Games?

I don't remember ever actually losing game. Like, ever. I've had a few stolen, lent a few and didn't get them back, and damaged a few beyond playability...but can't think of any I've actually just "lost."

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd love to know where lost games go. I lost my NES 190-games-in-1 cartridge.
    I also lost Mario Paint ages ago, but we've found it a year ago. It fell no in the crack of the sofa, but thru some hole in the tissue INTO the sofa.

Look there, and you might find one of your lost gems.

Djiem on
  • Options
    StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As I was reading this thread, I was thinking I hadn't ever lost a game, but then I remembered one.

Years ago, I got a Gameboy Color for my birthday. I only ever had two games for it: Link's Awakening and Pokemon Blue.

I don't know where I usually stashed the games, but they'd turn up when I wanted them. But a few years later I found myself unable to find my Pokemon cartridge and it still hasn't turned up.

The world may never know.

Stasis on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    I'd love to know where lost games go. I lost my NES 190-games-in-1 cartridge.
    I also lost Mario Paint ages ago, but we've found it a year ago. It fell no in the crack of the sofa, but thru some hole in the tissue INTO the sofa.

Look there, and you might find one of your lost gems.

We actually did, before tossing the couch. Found our old cordless phone handset. We had long since replaced it, obviously.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I suffer this not so much with games, but with cds and dvds, although oddly I dropped a drawer filled with PC discs games in a wide open area not so long ago. When I refilled the drawer, only half of its original contents seemed to be there and yet there is no sign of the missing stuff anywhere.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey, Guitar Hero is fun, I might go play that. Thanks, OP!

Also, my Xenogears disc disappeared in my old house and we never found it while we were moving. Now it's gone forever. I'd also like to know where all my god damned manuals keep going, because it's cost me a couple of "Full Package" goozex deals. grumble grumble grumble

freakish light on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Where do lost games go, Twisp?

Away

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Where do lost games go?

Into nothingness, that is, everything.

A while ago I bought some random DS game and a used copy of Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance (the kind they have in the case where it is just the cartridge and no packaging) from the mall Gamestop. It was late in the afternoon and I hadn't eaten, so I stopped by the foodcourt to get something to eat. Of course, since I was sitting down anyways I fired up the DS and started playing whatever DS game I had bought. After I finished I threw away the Gamestop bag without even thinking about it, not realizing that my copy of FFT:A was inside until I got home.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want to know. Because whoever runs the place has my goddamned copy of X-Men Legends 2.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There's a small creature that eats lost games.

But yeah, back in primary school when I was friends with some guy who later I found to be a douchebag, my copy of Pokemon Red "mysteriously" vanished. Of course HE didn't steal it, cos HIS Pokemon Red had a STICKER on it and mine didn't.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Where do lost games go?
    Can they find their way home
    Into the open tray of the console waiting there?

Captain K on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Freakiest thing happened the other day.

I lost my Grand Theft Auto IV disc. Like, I took my Scrubs DVD out of the PS3 and went to the GTAIV case and it wasn't in there. So I looked in the Scrubs case, 'cause sometimes I'll just switch out discs. Not in there either. Look for about fifteen minutes, get really discouraged.

So I look through my entire DVD shelf. By the time I get to the M's, I find it in the case for Maria Full of Grace. Right on top of the DVD already in there, too, so it was barely on the spindle.

No one comes into my room, and I haven't watched that movie in about two years. I don't know how the fuck it happened. But weirder things have definitely happened to me in terms of games in cases.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I lost my Grand Theft Auto IV disc. Like, I took my Scrubs DVD out of the PS3 and went to the GTAIV case and it wasn't in there. So I looked in the Scrubs case, 'cause sometimes I'll just switch out discs. Not in there either. Look for about fifteen minutes, get really discouraged.

So I look through my entire DVD shelf. By the time I get to the M's, I find it in the case for Maria Full of Grace. Right on top of the DVD already in there, too, so it was barely on the spindle.

No one comes into my room, and I haven't watched that movie in about two years. I don't know how the fuck it happened. But weirder things have definitely happened to me in terms of games in cases.

The two discs were trying to mate.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »

The two discs were trying to mate.

What would the bastard spawn of that unholy union look like??!?!

Well... a DVD, I suppose.

freakish light on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They all go to Silicon Heaven with all the little calculators.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Probably the weirdest thing that ever happened to me, game-wise, was I bought a new, factory-sealed copy of Dead or Alive 3 at Blockbuster once. I got it home and opened it and inside was...disc two of the fullscreen edition of X2: X-Men United.

I brought it back to Blockbuster and they gave me weird looks, but let me change it out.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    They all go to Silicon Heaven with all the little calculators.

Or maybe they slip into Silicone Heaven due to a clerical error.

freakish light on
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is quite possibly the most smart-ass question that I've ever asked completely seriously: Is the game in your console?

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is quite possibly the most smart-ass question that I've ever asked completely seriously: Is the game in your console?

If only it were that simple :(

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't find the last disc of my Knights of the old republic 2.

I spent about an hour and a half digging through all the old pc game discs I have to no avail. It really sucks, because I wanted to play as a dark jedi this time :(

I also can't find my call of duty discs.

Burgu on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Burgu wrote: »
    I can't find the last disc of my Knights of the old republic 2.

I spent about an hour and a half digging through all the old pc game discs I have to no avail. It really sucks, because I wanted to play as a dark jedi this time :(

I also can't find my call of duty discs.

Heh, I can't find the first disc for Kotor 1 :P

e: Which is actually pretty weird since there's 3 discs in the box and an empty cover slip on the other side of the box...

Tav on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I found a lost copy of Mortal Kombat for the GameGear one time in a Taco Bell parking lot. I regret picking it up. I would go put it back where I found it, but I don't like to litter. :P

Also, my copy of Kirby's Dream Land 2 vanished a few years ago while I was out with my dad a few years ago. I keep meaning to search his truck for it, but I'm afraid that it ended up like that copy of Mortal Kombat. Lost in a parking lot somewhere, possibly picked up by a random stranger.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I bought a sealed copy of Project Snowblind a year back and there was no disc in there.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I like to think some poor kid with no friends found my Pokemon Leafgreen after I left it in Florida when I was on vacation. He played it, nurtured the team I had, and then went on to become champion of a local pokemon tournament. I like to think it turned his life around.

One day, I'll battle him, and we will be evenly matched. It will be epic.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    AaronKI wrote: »
    I found a lost copy of Mortal Kombat for the GameGear one time in a Taco Bell parking lot. I regret picking it up. I would go put it back where I found it, but I don't like to litter. :P

Hahaha.

Yeah, have any of you guys actually found game stuff that didn't belong to you?

I lived in this apartment complex for a few years, and I was like the only kid in there. So I was surprised one day when I took out the trash to the dumpster to find a PS1 memory card lying on the ground right next to it.

Curious, I picked it up and took it inside. Whoever it was had save files from pretty much every Squaresoft PS1 game, including several files for Front Mission 3 that each had over a hundred hours logged in.

I can't throw away memory cards, it feels like I'm throwing away a dedicated log of my life.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I usually take good care with organizing my games so they don't get lost, though I do have a few lost and found stories...

Once my Game Boy Advance SP disappeared for a few weeks...

Eventually it was found in the mud in a pit near the entrance of the condo. Apparently a younger brother had brought it outside to play, lost it and forgot about it. So it sat in the mud during cold nights and severe storms.

It was still in working condition, a game cartridge was in the slot and it was folded up to protect most of the vital openings from mud. The buttons weren't as sensitive, but we were able to play with it, the cartridge was perfectly fine as well. Unfortunately the recharger plug was ruined in the mud and because it has those weird batteries it eventually died out permamently.

Another time I lost my Super Mario World GBA cartridge for who knows how long, it must've fallen out of the Game Boy. Later our car was totalled in an accident where it was hit from the side and rolled over three times into a ditch (only my dad was in it and wasn't hurt). We found the cartridge in perfect condition when going through the wreckage the next day.

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Nintendo really does make pretty solid products.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Oh man, you just opened up another story. I was biking around some backroads one day for exercise when I came across a Game Boy Advance lying around on the dirt road. The screen was shattered and it had a Stuart Little GBC cartridge in it, which stuck out slightly bent. It didn't have any batteries so of course I brought it home with me.

The cartridge didn't really look that bad, but apparently it was bent enough to only get as far as a glitched "Game Boy Color" logo screen. As for the Game Boy Advance itself, it worked fine except for the screen being completely dead. But I was able to boot up Super Mario World with it and beat the first level by ear (pretty much have the game memorized).

Don't ever feel like throwing video game systems out, so now I have two busted Game Boys lying around.

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That reminds me, my old Gameboy Color was lost for a while.

Found it under the couch months later.

yalborap on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    That reminds me, my old Gameboy Color was lost for a while.

Found it under the couch months later.

That always happened to me.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Plutonium on
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I've never purposefully taken any video games, but whenever I've moved out of the dorm room, I usually end up with 1-2 new games that I didn't own before. I picked up God of War and San Andreas this year.

But the thing is, I usually end up losing the same amount of stuff, which I just assume my room mate had also taken. I'm missing disc 1 and 2 from Arrested Development season 1. I think I came out of the deal way worse honestly.

Burgu on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A friend lent me the latest ace attorney game - I took out shiren the wanderer to play it, thinking "I will surely lose this" (I did).

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I lost Wario Land for GB, who knows where it is, probably under a lot of shit in the garage. I always tend to find things when I am not actively looking for them. I'll be looking for something else completely unrelated, and boom, i find the thing I was looking for years ago.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've lost the cart for my copy of Brain Age. I played that pretty much every day for a couple of months after I picked it up. Then I got bored with it, and put it down. I eventually went to look for the Brain Age cart and had no luck finding it.

I think it may have fallen behind my dresser, but its one of the heaviest pieces of furniture I own and I can't move it. So until I move the truth might never be known.

Aggril on