As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Has Many Threads, but this is the Main one.

1656667686971»

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The impression I have is that WotC wants people to hit about 51% of the time.

The trick to hitting more often is to make heavy use of tactical advantages.

The fact that there are dozens of ways to get combat advantage in 4E helps here.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's not min-maxing to put a high stat in your primary ability. Min-maxing implies some minning in there. :P Delro didn't suggest gimping everything about your character.

When you make a more well-rounded character and then are concerned about your ability to hit, increasing your primary stat which is keyed to almost all your attacks is a very reasonable suggestion. You won't be well-rounded when you want to "hit more" because the "more" means just that, you're going to get into tradeoffs.

I've found 4e very simple for making effective characters. With the pairing of abilities for defenses you often won't need many high abilities, it seems like a lot of people are just used to the feel of 3.5e and not looking at the crunch. For example, I wouldn't dream of playing an 8 Dex wizard in 3.5e, but I could totally do that now if I wanted to since having a non-graceful wizard not only is mechanically sound but makes more sense anyways.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I've generally noticed people have been stressing over the difference in to-hit expectation on WotC's part.

At the end of the day, they expect you to be able to hit on an 11 on the d20, and people all seem to be freaking out about it in play and in how they build their characters.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I've generally noticed people have been stressing over the difference in to-hit expectation on WotC's part.

At the end of the day, they expect you to be able to hit on an 11 on the d20, and people all seem to be freaking out about it in play and in how they build their characters.

I just stress about it because I feel like a bitch when I use a power and I whiff.

It's why I like the warlord's at-will that gives 1+CHAMOD bonus to hit and damage to an ally on their next attack. Make sure all their /encounters and /dailies stick.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I just stress about it because I feel like a bitch when I use a power and I whiff.

It's why I like the warlord's at-will that gives 1+CHAMOD bonus to hit and damage to an ally on their next attack. Make sure all their /encounters and /dailies stick.

That's the way it should be! :) Making combat a coin-toss if the players don't work together is just fine by me. Using tactics and complementing other's powers should be required to do well.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Infidel wrote: »
    That's the way it should be! :) Making combat a coin-toss if the players don't work together is just fine by me. Using tactics and complementing other's powers should be required to do well.

Exactly.

Earn your hits with teamwork, otherwise you're just a bunch of solo dudes.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I agree it looks like 11/20 is the target roll to hit an even level monster.

With a 16 in the relevant stat: A fighter will have around +6 to hit vs average ac of 16, a warlock will have around a +3 to hit vs an average reflex of 14.

Things work better for everyone if you flank, use warlord powers, etc. However it does seem like casters need to focus their stats a bit more than weapon using martial classes to get the same success rate at lvl1.
    Yeah, its a good sign, missing with "Tide of Iron" feels allot worse than missing with "sword attack"

dscrilla on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Or maybe it's just a screw-up, because they're also apt to do that as well. Look at previous editions when the Rogue could sneak attack every single damn attack.

And really, if I'm being a smart-ass commenting on your "Comic Book Guy" demeanor about the game and telling you to shove it up your ass, I'm fine with that.

I'm pretty certain it's "Previous Edition", 2nd and before you basically had to not exist in order to get sneak attack and I think I saw it used like once, maybe.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    2nd Edition you had to catch someone completely unawares yeah, but it also could put some hurt on enemies. It started at 2x damage and ramped up with level until 5x.

It was rarely used in tabletop, but in video game versions it for some reason was allowed all the time, basically so long as the target had their back to you.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That post is over a week old, though i doubt you care.

Also, Ranger multi-classing got changed so that you only get 1 round out of the quarry.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, we've got two threads concurrently. I knew I was way behind on this one and have been ignoring it because of the massive backlog....

D'oh.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I skipped a bunch of pages when it was getting spammed over rapebabies. :lol:

This thread needs a lock at this point.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ... the heck just happened to the maptools website?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
This discussion has been closed.