As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Newb Game?

flatline82flatline82 Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Critical Failures
Hey PA/D&D fans... I wasnt really seeing what I wanted so I decided to toss up a post in attempts to organize something us the new guys. First, I'm used to a non-D20 system.. (playing Palladiums new Robotech RPG via PbP...) and havent played a D&D game in ages and as many are, am taking the 4E release as a chance to get back into it. So with that I was hoping I could round up a GM and 3-4 other players so we could get a newb game going? Perhaps an adventure in Shadowfell so it would be relatively easy to run? Anyway, I'd prefer to take the game to a dedicated forum (which I can host at any time) for PbP or if the group wants, arrange a weekly chat/IRC/Maptool based game. I personally have no idea whats best so we'd have to figure that out... anybody interested? or am I fighting for a lost cause?

(Quick note for real new guys: PbP stands for Play By Post, which generally runs quite a bit slower but allows for better RPing story. Usually you set a post limit per week...usually 2-3.)

Post here or PM me if this might sound like a possibility and I apologize if I myself come off completely idiotic and new but I really want to have some fun with this and make a regular gaming group of buds.

Thanks!

flatline82 on

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd love to get into DnD, and this seems like a good way to try. I'm up for PbP or a weekly session.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    EyeoftheIslandEyeoftheIsland Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    I'm new to the forum and D&D but I'm down with this, been wanting to learn 4E, either IRC or pbp is cool with me.

EyeoftheIsland on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    im down for some PbP 4e. the board i usually play with is heavily inactive, and staying 3.5 i believe.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    ZetaStrikerZetaStriker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've been toying with the idea of putting up the 4E campaign I've been planning on running for my group(which may or may not end up existing...). I'm notoriously unreliable when it comes to online pbp games though, and the fact that my campaign is halfway based on KotS makes me less eager to put it into the digital space. Sure, I've changed literally every encounter, thrown in several new creatures and NPCs, changed the plot and most of the setting, added new areas and encounters while removing most of the stuff I didn't want or need... but it still reuses several areas, some NPCs and a few plot points. Also, I'd planned to houserule level progression by allowing PCs to gain a level after completing each chapter of the adventure, rather than basing it off of the number of enemies killed and skill challenges completed.

ZetaStriker on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I sure wish I had my books so I could throw in for this

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for replying to my thread guys. I'll let this go on through tomorrow...maybe we might get enough by then, who knows.

Zeta - not quite sure what you are trying to tell us, lol... that a rant? an offer? just an FYI?

flatline82 on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not exactly a newb, but to this 4e stuff you might as well consider me as such. In any event, I'd play if you needed more players.

Goose! on
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    flatline82 wrote: »
    I havent played a D&D game in ages and as many are, am taking the 4E release as a chance to get back into it.

Replace ages with a couple years, and this describes me quite well. I was planning on picked up the 4e books, or at least the player's manual, this weekend, and I'd be happy to join a game of newer players in order to refresh myself and get familiar with the 4e changes. The play format is not really important to me, I'd prefer a PbP set up, but if we had a weekly chat time that'd be alright.

Varcayn on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm just trying to put out a 'maybe' in response to the thread, I guess. I'll think about it tomorrow and decide whether I want to try it tomorrow night.

ZetaStriker on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd like to play. Play by post is perfect for me, because I'm 13 hours ahead of EST. PM me if you still need players.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    im in guys

The problem with play by post is it is hard to keep enthusiasm high as the game progresses as I found out with some RPGs ive played in the past that arent DnD.

An IRC/OpenRPG game would be the best imo and since I am currently a student with nothing on half the time i cnat finally play with you americans in the middle of the day (your nightime)

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Alrighty..let's see, we obviously have some interest in a newb/new to 4E sort of game. We also have interest in a chat or PbP game...another good thing. With enough people we could split apart and form two groups if need be in order to accommodate all of us. Next order of business...a DM or two. Any DM's out there willing to aid us and work with us on this possible venture? 8-)

(Zeta is a maybe thus far so I wont say anything for sure out of respect, let us know Zeta)

Another random note: I have can also setup a forum off my website and/or a chat room as well unless we use something different. For sure a forum for whatever...playing/saying you cant make a game..etc.

flatline82 on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd probably be up for a chat/maptool game. Not much a fan of pbp.

Havent played since 3.0 first came out so I'm considering myself a newb.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I might be up for something non-PbP. I'd like to see some DMs appearing, though.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Rainfall: Agreed.

No DM's out there...? =(

flatline82 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well I don't have time for anything but play-by-post, although I'd likely try to use photoshop and hand drawn maps to throw up on every one of my posts. I'd probably also have to do something along the lines of group initiative to get it to work. Having to worry about waiting to post because enemy x goes before you and could take action y is really lame... although having massive smackdown laid out at a time, and reduced battlefield options from non-concurrent actions, is only slightly less lame.

There's a lot of things I don't like about pbp. That's why I'm so hesitant to do this. It works better in an rp that doesn't really run off of any kind of complex system... the best pbp games I've played have used a non-system that was basically opposed d100s, with characters 4 actions a turn and inherit bonuses(+5, +10, whatever). They could 'focus' a single action, or chain actions, to gain varying bonuses to their attacks, or try to target enemy weaknesses or play off their strengths, but there wasn't much system involved really.

I'll stay on for maybe, for now. Especially since everyone seems to hate pbp so much.

ZetaStriker on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Doing a Sunday bump for last hope... =/

Zeta: I'd rather you not do something you dont want to do.. I'd rather do a chat based one as well.

Edit: PbP would be fine, chat is just preferred.

flatline82 on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm tempted to DM Keep on the Shadowfell. Bad thing: I can only do PbP.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    PM sent =)

flatline82 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ok, folks who would be interested in a PbP game, here's my situation:

-I can update most weekdays, although there may be the occasional day where I'm not able to update.
    -My weekends are less available, but I'd most likely be able to update at least on Sunday nights.
    -In all, this means 4-5 nights a week where I'd be able to update.
    -I tend to get home from work at around 10PM EST, so my updates would probably occur at around those times.
    -I would be interested in running KotS, with some possible modifications. I'm much more interested in roleplaying, so there would likely be more NPC interaction. Above all else, I like description and I like character stuff, so I'd like to have posts with more information than just "I swing my sword at the kobold. Hard."
    -As of right now, I'll run the KotS module, if the game takes off from there, I would likely be interested in continuing the H-series module path or venturing off into modules conceived by me.
    -Above all else, the important unspoken/spoken agreement that I like to have between my players and I as a DM is this: I'll give you cool situations and interesting conflict. In return, you give me badassery.

If you're interested, please respond with a character concept. I'm looking for 5 PCs. Right now, I'm less concerned with your stats than what and who your character is. If more than 5 people respond, I'll go with the character concepts I find the most interesting. Once we have characters, we'll collaborate and figure out why and how the group got together. I'd recommend the Leader/Striker/Defender/Controller combination until I have a better handle on how encounters with enemies in different roles will play out.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    Bok ChoiBok Choi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd be down if someone wants to take on another D&D newb player. Who wanted to DM, and do you have enough players?

Play-by-post sounds good, other tools are cool too.

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    Pirate ViperPirate Viper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would be up for this. I don't currently have any of the books. Due to Amazon not understanding how pre-ordering things work. But, count me in for sure.

Pirate Viper on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Alright, I'll try to come up with a cool concept. I'm really tempted to set up one of those fancy dancy Dragonborn Warlords that everyone has been talking about.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ^--- thats what I was thinking lol, hmmm guess I'll go Paladin then. Was thinking Dragonborn for race as well.. I'll do some more research.

flatline82 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Nah man, take what you want.

I might go with a drunken human rogue brawler kinda guy. Question: I'm guessing we're limited to races mentioned in the PHB? I've heard people mention other races (what the hell is a bugbear?).

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm doing some research... I'll post my choice later, yard work time. Go for a Warlord if you want =) Will need both anyway.

flatline82 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I was going to go warlord-but since you guys were both posting about it first...
    I think I'll go with something more slicey- a fighter or maybe a paladin?

Or maybe the opposite direction-a warlock?

I don't know :(

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nah man, take what you want.

I might go with a drunken human rogue brawler kinda guy. Question: I'm guessing we're limited to races mentioned in the PHB? I've heard people mention other races (what the hell is a bugbear?).

Bugbears are creatures related to goblins, stats are located in the Monster Manual.

I'll be submitting a Cleric or Ranger here in a bit, since we have 2-3 people already saying they will play a leader it'll probably be a ranger.

Last Son on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If there's room I'd like to try out playing a wizard, possibly Eladarin. I'll work on fleshing out a concept and post it here when I've got something.

Jebu on
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    aw man I'd totally want to be on this

but it'd be my first game as whenever I look at a character sheet I freak out and run.

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Playing by pbp is always something I'm willing to try, as it generally feels better when you're not the one sitting there trying to figure out how to make system X work in format Y. I think I'll leave all the open spots to these 'DnD Newbs' though. Besides, I own KotS, and know pretty much everything that could happen. I can withhold OoC info, but it still wont seem as shiny and new to me as it might to other people.

I will make a couple suggestions to the prestigious DM who decided to give this a try for everyone's sakes though.

ZetaStriker on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm already, or at least it appears to be already, in a KOTS campaign on these very forums. So, rather than spoil it for the rest of ya, let me know if it does take off and I can join in the next adventure(s).

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm open to the alternate races listed in the back of the Monster Manual, as long as you realize that your character is likely to face a great deal of discrimination in the civilized areas of the world.

ie. I don't see goblins or orcs getting warm reception in predominately human towns.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I also want to reiterate that this game is primarily intended for n00bs, whether you're new to D&D or to RPGs in general. Don't be afraid to give it a shot just because you're new to it.

In other words, we know it's your first time. We'll be gentle.

Also, just to remind you guys again, I'm more interested in your character bio/history/personality than in cold, hard numbers at this point.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Just a general idea I've come up with...nothing to fancy, I'm new to this as well (havent played D&D in 10+ years). I'm used to sci-fi based stuff =)

Name: Seragon Kylus
    Race: Dragonborn
    Scale Color: Dark Brown
    Height: 5’10
    Weight: 220

Back-story:
    Born in a noble family of champions, a single child and certainly not of the weight and strength his Dad had hoped for in his was to be champion son. Many moons had passed for the young Dragonborn as he felt he had done wrong and hadn’t belonged in the family he was born into. He knew due to his lack of bulk his father would be displeased in his only child as he was not in the weight class of his fathers previous generation of champions. Despite the depression and urge to give up, Seragon packed a small traveling satchel and headed out to gain and learn perhaps what would make his family proud and re-instate his honor in the Kylus Dragonborn family. Upon leaving his home he was pulled aside secretly by his mother, she had some interesting words of encouragement for the still young Dragonborn of 15. She explained to him that his father had failed the trials to become a Warlord thus losing his honor and hiding his shame since the event. This indeed happened prior to Seragon being born and his father certainly never told him of this “trail” she spoke of. This was his chance; his honor was to be fulfilled with the duty of becoming a strong intelligent Warlord, a tactical Warlord… due to his size of course.

flatline82 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I can dig it, flatline. The path toward becoming a strong leader seems like it has some good RP potential.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Due a rather annoying series of events on my end, I won't have a copy of the player's manual until about Thursday, if shipping is to be believed. That said, if the game takes that long to kick off, or if we're still looking for people then:

I'd love to try a Rogue, probably a human.

Someone who is comparatively young, perhaps 18-20, who left his small hometown some years prior with the goal see the world and follow in the footsteps of fabled explorers and adventures. Since then he has bounced from city to city earning his way by taking various odd jobs and gambling, but he has never stayed long in one place as he continues to seek his fame and fortune. To date, he has found neither.

Personality wise, he comes from a humble background. He fits in well in the backs of taverns and alehouses, and has enough boyish charisma to charm his way through many of the altercations that result from his often suspicious victories in various dice games. While not the brightest man, he has a good amount of common sense. His biggest downfall is perhaps his overconfidence. That said, he avoids rash behavior and prefers to think his actions through while considering all options, perhaps an unusual trait for his age.

----

It's been several years since I came up with one of these, so I hope this is alright and what you were looking for; suggestions welcome. I'll probably adjust it a bit once I get the actual book, if I can still get the game by then. I more wanted to post something to state my continued interest, despite my annoying lack of source material until the end of the week.

Varcayn on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm going to be playing Bjorn, a rough and tumble dwarven paladin.

I'll update with a better description, but for now: his holy symbol is a mug he keeps with him at all time.

Edit:

Bjorn began his adventuring career with a good old fashioned bar brawl; nothing too spectacular, drunken men boasting, taking things too far, spilling blood and ale with glee. Bjorn left his ancestral mountain keep in order to prove himself in combat to his patron deity against any and all foes; he prefers to travel in solitude despite his eagerness for a good ale and a challenging fight.

Bjorn is quick to anger and always ready to cleave a foe in two, but still good natured and would willing to defend those in need-presuming he doesn't have anything better to attend to and it provides a good fight.

Though he has no particular qualms against his clan, Bjorn longs to see and combat all that the vast world has to offer.

Bjorn wears his dark black hair long, and his beard matching. He carries a heavy mug on his belt at all times and claims that it is an ancient heirloom which only the mightiest of warriors are fit to drink from.

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm considering switching it to an Eldarin...similar story, cept with a minor change. Thinking about it =)

Update: Quick thinking hehe, going to stick to the Dragon. Always have RP'ed human type races...going with something different this time. So ya, thats my char...with some other twists in store should I get a chance to play in this game.

flatline82 on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hm. I do want to try out 4E, and it doesn't look like any IRC games are popping up. I suppose I can mix up a character and try D&D fo' realz. I'll write up a propah sheet for this in a bit, I guess.

Name: Gwen Sim'ei
    Race: Half-Elf
    Height: 5'7
    Weight: 122 lbs

Born to a traveling circus, a bastard child loved by her sadly unimaginative mother, Gwen was named from the first names of her mother and father. Quick, charming, and quite likable, Gwen found herself inexorably drawn to the old fortune-teller, who told her dark secrets of the entities that lived among the stars.
    Finally, the oracle summoned a creature from far beyond to her tent, and Gwen pledged a compact to the Power Beyond. The creature tattooed the words of her oath onto her body with its own blood, and granted her power, in exchange for her destiny.
    Emerging from the tent as something more, Gwen knew she had outgrown the circus. She packed her things, said goodbye to her mother, and started off to find the destiny she had so recently sold.

Rainfall on