As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - Bring Down the Sky and patch 1.01 out now for PC

• Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So does anyone else get lost looking for the sidequest planets or am I missing somthing?

Also, thanks for the input on the Garrus sniper.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    I put Liara on my boarding party in Feros and she kicked all kinds of ass with her powers. Tali is also pretty useful. Garrus dies too fast, unfortunately. The two humans are the least cool and useful buddies so far.

Garrus can be difficult to use early on. If you find any shield+ mods, give them to him. Make sure you're putting points into his armor slot and if you give him points to unlock the sniper rifle early, he'll also tend to stay back more.

Now I'm sad because I don't think I've put any points into his sniping abilities.

But are two snipers really a good idea? (I'm an Infiltraitor too.)

If you're set on using Garrus, then his best weapon is the sniper rifle. And he doesn't take damage easily so anything you can do to minimize it helps. It's not impossible to play through without letting Garrus use the rifle, but it requires a lot of hand holding. Making sure he gets behind cover, turn auto-skill use to Defense Only, and use what skills he has that are offensively effective.

The third member of the party will also play a factor. Liara is probably most useful because of Lift, Throw, and Singularity. Tali is good against the Geth because of AI Hacking. Kaidan isn't as good at biotics as Liara can be, but he does have Lift and Throw. Basically, you'll either adjust your team based on your style or adjust your style based on your team.

EDIT
    So does anyone else get lost looking for the sidequest planets or am I missing somthing?
    Take notes. I have a notebook filled with all the planets, which I can land on, which have Thresher Maws, etc.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I started a new character and was playing through Eden Prime taking screenshots of everything as I like to do and I noticed something interesting about the way Kaiden holds his pistol.

meffect20080613185446oq8.png

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm going to use the new Nvidia driver that was leaked and see if that fixes ME for me. I'll let you guys know if
    it fixes BSOD problem.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    He likes to hide it under a too-dark filter?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I put Liara on my boarding party in Feros and she kicked all kinds of ass with her powers. Tali is also pretty useful. Garrus dies too fast, unfortunately. The two humans are the least cool and useful buddies so far.

Garrus can be difficult to use early on. If you find any shield+ mods, give them to him. Make sure you're putting points into his armor slot and if you give him points to unlock the sniper rifle early, he'll also tend to stay back more.

Now I'm sad because I don't think I've put any points into his sniping abilities.

If you're set on using Garrus, then his best weapon is the sniper rifle. And he doesn't take damage easily so anything you can do to minimize it helps. It's not impossible to play through without letting Garrus use the rifle, but it requires a lot of hand holding. Making sure he gets behind cover, turn auto-skill use to Defense Only, and use what skills he has that are offensively effective.

The third member of the party will also play a factor. Liara is probably most useful because of Lift, Throw, and Singularity. Tali is good against the Geth because of AI Hacking. Kaidan isn't as good at biotics as Liara can be, but he does have Lift and Throw. Basically, you'll either adjust your team based on your style or adjust your style based on your team.

EDIT
    Take notes. I have a notebook filled with all the planets, which I can land on, which have Thresher Maws, etc.

I just wish the Journals were more specific about what to do.

I'm a dim-witted guy though.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
  • Options
    edited June 2008

EDIT

How could they be more specific? They say to go to this system in this cluster and do this and they get updated if your goal changes.

I don't get how they could be more clear.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Pancake wrote: »

EDIT

How could they be more specific? They say to go to this system in this cluster and do this and they get updated if your goal changes.

I don't get how they could be more clear.

I must have messed somthing up because none of my quests say to go to a system or cluster..

Huh.

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    forbis316forbis316 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you actually want to kill things yourself with your sniper rifle, don't take Garrus with you if you upgrade his sniper talent.

He's a better sniper than you are. I don't care how good you think you are. He's better.

I've got Garrus using the Spectre sniper rifle, with two rail extension upgrades and high-explosive ammo. He overheats with every shot, but they fly about fifty feet when he hits them!

forbis316 on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ride the elevator, watch the cutscene, die. Ride the elevator, watch the cutscene, die. Ride the elevator, watch the cutscene, die. Repeat ad infinitum.

My party is made of Tali, Garrus and me, a soldier. I somehow do not think my complete lack of biotics is helping. The Geth pretty much evaporate on sight, but goddamn that cheapass charge gets me every time.

I really do love you, Mass Effect, but why you gotta make it so hard sometimes?

Suriko on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Suriko wrote: »
    Ride the elevator, watch the cutscene, die. Ride the elevator, watch the cutscene, die. Ride the elevator, watch the cutscene, die. Repeat ad infinitum.

My party is made of Tali, Garrus and me, a soldier. I somehow do not think my complete lack of biotics is helping. The Geth pretty much evaporate on sight, but goddamn that cheapass charge gets me every time.

They're charging you? If you could, you really need to find someway to keep them away. If you can't change out for a biotic character (life and throw are awesome), then you might want to look into using grenade upgrades that cause knockdown effects.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So I started a new character and was playing through Eden Prime taking screenshots of everything as I like to do and I noticed something interesting about the way Kaiden holds his pistol.

He holds it with both hands?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Is this End Game you're talking about? Cover, cover, cover, cover.
    Those Geth Destroyers will keep coming up to about a dozen. Either stay back and snipe them or methodically move down the corridors and they'll stop sooner. Better to stay back.

Use cover. Lots of it. Got any grenades? Use them too. Pick one target and single them out for death. Go for the Krogan first. Tali can AI Hack to get the Geth off your back for a bit.

Did I mention cover? No? Use cover. Seriously...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Those Geth Destroyers will keep coming up to about a dozen. Either stay back and snipe them or methodically move down the corridors and they'll stop sooner. Better to stay back.

Use cover. Lots of it. Got any grenades? Use them too. Pick one target and single them out for death. Go for the Krogan first. Tali can AI Hack to get the Geth off your back for a bit.

Just after rescuing Liara. Also, cover tends to mean the warmaster pummels me against it after dashing across the room.

Suriko on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Just after rescuing Liara. Also, cover tends to mean the warmaster pummels me against it after dashing across the room.

Liara can mess that bastard up, but I don't think you have control of her at this stage, do you?

Anyway try to biot him is your best bet. Lift.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Greeper wrote: »
    Liara can mess that bastard up, but I don't think you have control of her at this stage, do you?

Anyway try to biot him is your best bet. Lift.

Therein lies the problem.

1) I can't use Liara.
    2) I have no biotic-using characters in my party.

:(

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Oh...

AI Hack and Grenades. Use any defensive skills you have ASAP. And just this once...don't use cover. And still concentrate on that fucker. I take it you went there early/first? That is the one battle that is completely over the top that early in the game. Right after that is the Geth Ambush before entering the ruins...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    LamoidLamoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Neural shock is good against krogan, but I dont know if tali or garrus can get it.

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Oh...

AI Hack and Grenades. Use any defensive skills you have ASAP. And just this once...don't use cover. And still concentrate on that fucker. I take it you went there early/first? That is the one battle that is completely over the top that early in the game. Right after that is the Geth Ambush before entering the ruins...

Yep. Went there first.

I had been planning to use Liara as the biotic quotient in the party, seeing as I heavily dislike Wrex, but my plans have gone horribly awry.

AI hack and nades sounds good. Might also switch out the anti-armour rounds for antipersonell and radioactive rounds as well.

edit: IIRC neither Tali nor Garrus have Neural Shock right now.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You can swap out weapon mods mid-fight. Have Garrus follow you around while attacking the Krogan, but you yourself focus on getting rid of the Geth, otherwise the rockets and the sniper will rip you apart. If you go right at the beginning, there's a Shock Trooper that pops out right there. You can kill him before he can get a shot off, and then it's pretty easy from there.

If at any point the Krogan is getting ready to charge, throw a nade down in his obvious charge path. Remember they detonate when you press the key again, so just wait for him to run into it and trigger it.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had some trouble with that fight as well. As soon as the fight began I cast overkill and took out the two geth in fron of me. Then I ran back and to the right behind some cover. From there I just alternated from an overheated pistol and assault rifle. Using adrenaline to bring up my shield boost and overkill. The Krogan eventually rushed me. I just whipped out my shotgun and sprayed him a couple times and switched to my pistol. He was dead not long after that. This was with a party of Garrus and Kaiden.

The fight before you enter the ruins was tougher for me. I eventually found it easier to retreat to the little hill to my right and use the cover up there. My party was pretty much dead before I got there. I took down everything besides the big bot with my assault rifle. Then I would cover snipe him. It took a while, but worked out in the end.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    A shotgun may also help if you use some kind of weapon mod to increase its stopping power.

Don't forget that you can dash away from him as well. Might have to kite him by using nades and the shotty to keep stall him, then run some while your party takes potshots at him.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmm I didn't really have any trouble with him. I used sniper fire to clear the helpers, and then pounded the boss with overkill with my assault rifle. I think I chucked a grenade in there too just to totally nuke his shields right off the bat.

... At that point in the game I wasn't really controlling anyone in a fight but Sheperd. I've since... upgraded my strategies a bit :D

Also- mark spoilers guys if you're going to be specific.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

I must have messed somthing up because none of my quests say to go to a system or cluster..

Huh.

Check out the "Assignments" tab in your Journal.

Grudge on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In terms of handling the prothean elevator fight, I noticed that when the enemy moves in to engage you, they split into three distinct groups. The Krogan and one of the geth usually take up a position on your left flank, another geth takes up position on your right flank, while a rocket trooper geth and a sniper take up a position guarding the exit.

At the start of the fight, I found it best to immediately charge forward concentrating all attacks on the rocket trooper first, since he tended to do the most damage. Taking fire from all of the group usually drops him quickly enough for you to close distance to the sniper and eliminate him. With those two out of the picture you're left with a large crate behind which you can take cover. The crate effectively shields you from any attacks from your right flank, while allowing you an angle to attack the krogan.

At this point the krogan either charges forward trying to melee you, or fires at you from behind cover. Either way, this is a good time to have your party focus their attacks on the krogan. Taking attacks from the all of the party he goes down relatively quickly, allowing your party to leisurely dismantle the remaining geth.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I actually enjoy getting killed a lot when there's no cutscene. I like trying to figure out all the different ways I can go about my party formation, because a couple feet here or there can make a huge difference for whether or not a biotic is in range.

Long-winded combat report:
    I just recovered the lost data file from the stupid goddamned monkeys, and then geth swat team assaulted me. Three destroyers, a bunch of shock troops, and a bunch of snipers. I have no grenades and 2 medigels left. Sniper Garrus and Liara with me.

First couple tries I'm out in the open room with the crates, trying to be tactical about it with the cover, and I just get crushed by the Destroyers rushing me. So I then I move back into one of the halls offshooting the main room, and just wait for them to start filing in. This yields better results, but still I get destroyed.

So my master plan is to actually hole up in the one room, I have me on one side of the tunnel, Garrus on the other, and there's a crate near Garrus that Liara can sit behind. So as it's a usual mine layout, there's two doors. I have the one closest to me open, and the one closest to the Geth closed. Open it, shoot a wild shot to get their attention, and then close it and run back to my party and wait. I trigger marksman on myself to get some covering fire while Garrus snipes and Liara waits for them to rush down the tunnel so she can Lift.

This ends up failing some more, until I finally realize that Liara can lift without line of sight. I switch places with her, and I conquer. It was so satisfying, even though I spent like 30 minutes on that one fight. To make up for it, I went around to the monkey colonies and slaughtered them horribly with the Mako.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    But did you find the real ending to the Consort quest afterwards?

Because if you didn't, you still failed.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I haven't bothered to do the Consort quest yet on this run, but I already went to the sooper sekrit ending place. It's pretty and hard to get to.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

You mean the
    Protheans studying the cavemen from Mars, therefore explaining our entire history and fascination with beings in the sky?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »

You mean the
    Protheans studying the cavemen from Mars, therefore explaining our entire history and fascination with beings in the sky?

no. you get to
    sex her up in the two hole

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    dmitdmit Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Grudge wrote: »

Huh.

It seems obvious now, but it took me some time to realize that clicking the quest name in Assignments gives you the task summary and destination, when just clicking the + next to it (like I was doing at first) resulted in an unhelpful blurb like "We should probably investigate it" and "There will be more details when we get there."

dmit on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmmm.....who to take with me. If I'm a Vangaurd, I need shooters, hackers and first aid. I figured Garrus has all those skills, but I'm not sure how good Tali is, and if I went with Liara I'd have to skip everything until I get her so I can attempt to get her achievement. Who complements a Vanguard well, since there's usually combat or biotic overlap?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

You mean the

What? Where's that at?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Heir wrote: »
    A shotgun may also help if you use some kind of weapon mod to increase its stopping power.

Don't forget that you can dash away from him as well. Might have to kite him by using nades and the shotty to keep stall him, then run some while your party takes potshots at him.
    This is how i did it. But also equip all your guys with shotguns and hammerheads as well. Keep them alive and keep them near you. It doesn't matter if they have no skill in it. The point isn't damage, the point is to knock the Krogan down.

Kite him with your AR, when he charges sprint behind a pillar and swap to your shotgun. He will be on top of you by the time you pull your shotgun out so be aware. Fire a few blasts and then sprint out of there. Rinse and repeat until you knock him down. Once he is down what you want to do is STAY ON TOP OF HIM. I know this is counter intuitive, but he is MUCH easier to knock down when he's already down.

Just stand over his limp body and fill him full of buckshot. You should be able to get in 2 to 3 blasts before he starts to get up. Between you and your allies you should be able to get in one blast that knocks him down again.

If he does get up though, it's your cue to sprint across the room and start kiting again. G/L.

p.s. The pillars from time to time release steam that hurts and poisons you. Just a heads up.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    mastman wrote: »

You mean the

no. you get to

That's just the ending when you say the reward is not enough. Renegade, Paragon, both endings work. No "real" ending in that concern. However, the quest officially ends;

You mean the

What? Where's that at?

in the Attican Beta > Hercules System.

If you complete the quest in which General Septimus gives you the proof of the consort's innocence and take it to the embassy before you go to her to end it (by taking the proof the genral gave you to the embassy FIRST and then going to the consort to finish the quest), you get a trinket from her instead of just thanks or sex. Then you take the trinket to the last working Prothean Sphere,
    in which you see yourself as a neanderthal being observed by the Protheans in humanity's infancy, as described by narration.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

You mean the

no. you get to

That's just the ending when you say the reward is not enough. Renegade, Paragon, both endings work. No "real" ending in that concern. However, the quest officially ends;

You mean the

What? Where's that at?

If you complete the quest in which General Septimus gives you the proof of the consort's innocence and take it to the embassy before you go to her to end it (by taking the proof the genral gave you to the embassy FIRST and then going to the consort to finish the quest), you get a trinket from her instead of just thanks or sex. Then you take the trinket to the last working Prothean Sphere,
    in which you see yourself as a neanderthal being observed by the Protheans in humanity's infancy, as described by narration.
    Gorram it! I knew there was something I missed! I remember her giving me the trinket now... but I'd completely forgotten about it later.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This game is so much fun. I still like KOTOR better, simply cause of the Star Wars connection, but this is a fascinating new universe Bioware created. One of the few I've ever immediately gone back to play just to see the 'behavior' options (throwing people against the wall and whipping out the pistol at the first sign of dissent is so great) and look for any little tidbit I missed the first time around.

If anything, it all seemed too short for me. I would've been happy with even more non-voiced background content for us reading types (yes I'm aware of the book). Also, the ability to visit Earth and the home planets of the other races (I was dying to check out the Elcor's world) would've been neat. But those are pretty minor complaints and hopefully things will open up more in the rest of the trilogy. Really it was one of the best games I've played in quite a while, so bravo, Bioware.

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    edited June 2008
    dmit wrote: »
    Grudge wrote: »

Huh.

It seems obvious now, but it took me some time to realize that clicking the quest name in Assignments gives you the task summary and destination, when just clicking the + next to it (like I was doing at first) resulted in an unhelpful blurb like "We should probably investigate it" and "There will be more details when we get there."

Thanks. Now I feel like an idiot, heh.

Edit: I feel like I'm taking this game slow, I'm 20 hours in and I'm just now finishing up the 2nd main Assignment. I've done four or five sidequests too, is this normal?

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

You mean the

no. you get to

You mean the

What? Where's that at?

Gorram it! I knew there was something I missed! I remember her giving me the trinket now... but I'd completely forgotten about it later.
    I just did it. Neat stuff but I didn't even get any XP. LAAAAAAAAAAAME. They could have at least re-used the "Shepard is thrown backwards onto his back and then slowly gets up" thing from when the beacon nails you.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I just did it. Neat stuff but I didn't even get any XP. LAAAAAAAAAAAME. They could have at least re-used the "Shepard is thrown backwards onto his back and then slowly gets up" thing from when the beacon nails you.
    Shepard never slowly gets up after the beacon. And the animation on the Normandy doesn't really work for lying flat on the ground.

And it was originally supposed to be a cutscene but time restrictions forced them to abandon that idea.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg