As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metal Gear Raiden? See Page 85 (Previously the MGS4 Thread)

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm in Act 3 on my second playthrough.

I'm surprised that, considering who voices a certain character, they haven't made any Catwoman references. No "purrrrrfect" or anything.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I got official permission from the misses to buy a PS3 today :D

what fucking sucks is I can't find the 80gig MSS PS3 anywhere. EB was sold out of all PS3s period, HMV was out, Sony Store said they are not expecting anymore from Sony ever and that they have customers who paid for them and still haven't gotten them (wtf sony store?!?), Best Buy is out and it's been taken off of their Website! and Futureshop is out as well, and The Source (radioshack) said they might get more in mid July.

what the hell??

Low shipments, and the current word is mid July for a restock of the bundle.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    If anything this is great news for PS3 sales, I suppose.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I got official permission from the misses to buy a PS3 today :D

what fucking sucks is I can't find the 80gig MSS PS3 anywhere. EB was sold out of all PS3s period, HMV was out, Sony Store said they are not expecting anymore from Sony ever and that they have customers who paid for them and still haven't gotten them (wtf sony store?!?), Best Buy is out and it's been taken off of their Website! and Futureshop is out as well, and The Source (radioshack) said they might get more in mid July.

what the hell??

Low shipments, and the current word is mid July for a restock of the bundle.
    what is super annoying is that last week i noticed the futureshop near me got resupplied for about 2 days, but I hadn't convinced my fiancee yet that it was a good buy so i didn't pick one up, of course by now they are long gone.

I don't get Sony's thinking, they phase out the old 80gb one months ago in preparation of this new bundle, but then when they actually make a product people want to buy they only have a tiny amount of it available. A bunch of people I know caved and got the 40gb version instad in the states last week for that walmart giftcard, but we don't ge deals like that in canada so I'm just gonna wait it out until I can get the 80gb, but I guarantee a bunch of people are gonna get fed up with waiting and just not buy one at all.

I can't believe there were people who ordered from the official sony store and they didn't get a system, that is just fucked up.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Just finished it. God, what a great game.

I got to the credits and I was like 'holy shit' but then
    the debriefing started and i was like holy shit

time to read every spoiler ever

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just finished Act II of my BB Hard no kills/no alerts run. Now for Act 3. Motorcycle chase. D:

After this, a nice relaxing easy playthrough to grab some more emblems, like the Assassin one, then no kills/alerts/continues/healing on Extreme, and then a formal BB Emblem run.

And then I'll probably not touch the one player for like two years.

Got a tip here for you when you hit the Motorcycle chase. I'm gonna spoiler it just in case, although I don't think there's really any huge spoilers in here.
    Pull out your Mk. 2 (tranq gun) and turn Auto Aim on. It helps a ton.

Igort on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited June 2008
    Just started act 3.

man, what a game. This is pretty much the next gen experience I've been waiting for since the Xbox 360 came out. Nothing has met my expectations until this.

I don't know what I was thinking when I bought a PS3, but I don't really regret it anymore.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As far as a MGS movie is concerned...

david-hayter-voices-solid-snake.jpg

I think Hayter would be the only one to play Snake. Dude could probably pull it off if he hit the gym a bit.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ever seen him talk?

That voice sounds a lot more stupid coming out of a human being than it does from a game character.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I don't think it could work without the voice.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »

[snip]

I think Hayter would be the only one to play Snake. Dude could probably pull it off if he hit the gym a bit.

You've seen this right?

Igort on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm at work, Youtube be blocked.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wow, they got the name of the Game of the Year wrong. That's just shameful.

And that video is a perfect example of why a live-action Snake's voice wouldn't work.

You need someone who sounds gruff without going over the top. Snake just sounds corny in the end.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm at work, Youtube be blocked.

Oh. Well it's David Hayter presenting an award as "Solid" Snake.
    Wow, they got the name of the Game of the Year wrong. That's just shameful.

And that video is a perfect example of why a live-action Snake's voice wouldn't work.

You need someone who sounds gruff without going over the top. Snake just sounds corny in the end.

They should just make a CGI film set between MGS1 & 2, or between 2 & 4. But it'll never happen.

Only actor who could pull of Snake is Christian Bale, in my eyes.

Igort on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I just can't see Bale as Snake. olol Batman stigma.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I just can't see Bale as Snake. olol Batman stigma.

I see where you're coming from, but I can't see anyone else in the role. I just think Bale is a hell of an actor.

Igort on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Igort wrote: »

[snip]

You've seen this right?
    So fucking awesome!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

[snip]

You've seen this right?
    So fucking awesome!

Yeah, hit the gym. Forgot how good 2007 was with Video games though. Seriously.

Sueve on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Sueve wrote: »

[snip]

You've seen this right?
    So fucking awesome!

Yeah, hit the gym. Forgot how good 2007 was with Video games though. Seriously.

David Hayter was in an interview for MGS4 recently, and he isn't really in the best shape. He need so to slim down his face a shitload, so he could probably stand to lose like 20 pounds and get some good muscle on. Then he would be about ready for Snake.

Too bad that won't ever happen, though. I heard Christian Bale is going to be snake.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Christian Bale should play everything. Even the shark in Jaws.

He's already Batman and going to be John Connor. If he were Snake I would shit myself with glee.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How recent was the interview? Because when you start a new game you can flip through the "channels" and see Hayter being interviewed and wearing the Solid Eye system and he doesn't look too bad. There's also a battlefield cooking show, a marine biology show (about ocotopi, natch) and that fitness video/nano machine ad.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    How recent was the interview? Because when you start a new game you can flip through the "channels" and see Hayter being interviewed and wearing the Solid Eye system and he doesn't look too bad. There's also a battlefield cooking show, a marine biology show (about ocotopi, natch) and that fitness video/nano machine ad.

How do you flip through them?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Up/down on the left stick.

Maybe right stick.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Almost every button works i think, even L3 and R3 i think.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Press buttons.

No joke, most of the buttons will flip through them.

Igort on
  • Options
    WordsworthWordsworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ok, so I tried Big Boss difficulty. A little too punishing for me on a first playthrough, but I will definitely tackle it later. Right now I just don't have the patience to do everything perfectly in order to get the juicy plot conclusion. Solid Normal feels just right.

Wordsworth on
    Xbox LIVE: Wordsworth IV
  • Options
    GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How does one go about getting the "Solar Gun"?

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    To get the Solar Gun:
    Collect all of the boss figurines for Sunny.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Christian Bale should play everything. Even the shark in Jaws.

He's already Batman and going to be John Connor. If he were Snake I would shit myself with glee.

Considering he was the darling of the indie movie scene not that far back I find it kind of funny he is now franchiseboi. Not a complaint by any stretch as I am a massive fan and think he can play anything

yes even the shark in jaws

lolaffleck

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Okay so I just beat Laughing Beauty in my no-kills run. Over the course of the fight I shot some of her missiles and they exploded over a tranq'd FROG and killed her. That doesn't count as a kill for me, does it?

A good question. It wouldn't surprise me it if it was yes, but I can't say for sure. I highly advise keeping a pre-fight save handy - you only have... 1... 3 more 'sections' in that act to go through, so it wouldn't be a huge hassle to have to go back if it counts as a kill.

Aside from the 'say hello to my little friend!' factor, why would you wanna' use a rocket launcher on her? For my money the quickest method is...
    use the Rail Gun fully charged for headshots when she's hiding and doesn't move, and switch to the Barrett .50 cal when she tries shooting at you, using an uzi/M4 for her little explodie-seeker things.
    It's not as impressive as a missile launcher but it does allow you to keep the ambient destruction to a minimum.

What are you talking about? LO shoots these little slow moving missile things and he said he shot one and killed a frog on accident. He wasn't using a missile launcher, dummy!

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Italax wrote: »
    Wasn't there rumors going around a while ago about the Metal Gear movie actually going somewhere? Whatever happened to that..

I think it's still being worked on. There were rumours that Kojima was spending a lot of time in Hollywood, even after MGS4's music had been completed.

Haha, Italax you show off.

And yeah, they recently attached a writer and possible director for the project. I don't recall his name, but it was the guy who made Equilibrium and Ultraviolet.

So it could be good or bad.

Equilibrium has several utterly badass CQC-like scenes. At one point Christian Bale breaks a guy's fingers in the trigger guard of his assault rifle.

Ultraviolet really was quite terrible on every level though, so it could go either way.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    ShadowRaidenShadowRaiden Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think Kurt Russel would have been the perfect person to play snake when he was younger.
    From what I understand Hideo Kojima himself has openly stated that he based the Solid Snake character on Kurt Russel in Escape from N.Y. and Escape from L.A. And also there are a bunch of small references (Snake in MGS2 anyone?).
    But since that would not really be possible anymore (Kurt Russel is sadly getting too old) Im not really sure who I would like for snake. IMO Christian Bale has a way too long and skinny face for Snake (there is a word Im looking for that explains it better but I must be having some sort of mental blackout so I only know it in swedish)

ShadowRaiden on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Let's get the FBI to do a facial search on Snake and any actor who's worked in the past 6 months that looks like him.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think Kurt Russel would have been the perfect person to play snake when he was younger.
    From what I understand Hideo Kojima himself has openly stated that he based the Solid Snake character on Kurt Russel in Escape from N.Y. and Escape from L.A. And also there are a bunch of small references (Snake in MGS2 anyone?).
    But since that would not really be possible anymore (Kurt Russel is sadly getting too old) Im not really sure who I would like for snake. IMO Christian Bale has a way too long and skinny face for Snake (there is a word Im looking for that explains it better but I must be having some sort of mental blackout so I only know it in swedish)

Well, if Bale could nearly starve to death for a movie (The Machinist. By the end of filming he was less than a 100 pounds), I'm sure he could get himself beefier than even his batman role to play snake.

Alls I'm sayin is anything is possible.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    major_tom wrote: »
    Italax wrote: »
    Wasn't there rumors going around a while ago about the Metal Gear movie actually going somewhere? Whatever happened to that..

I think it's still being worked on. There were rumours that Kojima was spending a lot of time in Hollywood, even after MGS4's music had been completed.

Haha, Italax you show off.

And yeah, they recently attached a writer and possible director for the project. I don't recall his name, but it was the guy who made Equilibrium and Ultraviolet.

So it could be good or bad.

Equilibrium has several utterly badass CQC-like scenes. At one point Christian Bale breaks a guy's fingers in the trigger guard of his assault rifle.

Ultraviolet really was quite terrible on every level though, so it could go either way.

Exactly. It's Bales performance in that film that makes me think he could pull off Snake, what with Gun Kata being so similar to CQC.

I also just wanted to clarify that the guy who made Equilibrium is literally "the writer and maybe director" for the MGS Movie. I worded it kind of weird in that post there.

Hideo Kojima has openly admitted that Snake Plissken was the basis for Solid Snake.

Hideo Kojima also expressed interest in Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman and Viggo Mortensen for Snake. But he also went on to say he thinks Mortensen may be a little too old.

Igort on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hugh can play Solidus and Viggo can be big boss

Sorted

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I say "no" to Christian Bale as Snake. That guy is in everything. And he'll just speak like Christian Bale, or do another terrible voice like his Batman voice. I'd like a lesser-known actor to play Snake, if he's good.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    they should do an Old Snake movie and have Kurt Russel play him.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So,what exactly is the point of the Live Action videos when starting a new game?

I get the second videos,they are commercials for the PMCs but what the hell is up with the game show/interview? The hosts are completely nuts.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    ReverendToastReverendToast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If they get ANYBODY to play "Old Snake" I would have to say it has to be Sam Elliot. (Virgil in Tombstone, the General in the first Hulk, the cowboy in the Big Lebowski). I am pretty sure they based Old Snakes' face off of his.

ReverendToast on
    -The Good Reverend Toast

XboxLive Reverend Toast (Don't forget the Space); PSN ReverendToast (No space here)