As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What the..Woman dies ignored on hospital waiting room floor

KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I couldn't really find a way to word it well so I just stole the headline.
Story Highlights
Surveillance video shows woman fall from chair, thrash on floor, then lie still

People around ignore her for almost an hour, the video shows

Several staffers fired at Kings County Hospital, Brooklyn, over the incident

Lawyers are suing hospital, alleging neglect and abuse of patients

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/01/hospital.death.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

The gist of this is that a lady involuntarily committed, waited 24 hours in the waiting room to get a bed, collapses and dies from unknown causes while people nearby ignore her for an hour until someone finally had the brains to check her out (another patient mind you).

This was caught on video. However notes in her medical records said she was up and about during the time she was on the floor, possibly to cover up the incident.

Oh ho, but this isn't the first time this psychiatric facility has been part of negative attention.
A state agency, the New York State Mental Hygiene Legal Service, filed a lawsuit a year ago, calling the psychiatric center "a chamber of filth, decay, indifference and danger."

Patients, the suit said, "are subjected to overcrowded and squalid conditions often accompanied by physical abuse and unnecessary and punitive injections of mind-altering drugs."

"From the moment a person steps through the doors," it added, "she is stripped of her freedom and dignity and literally forced to fight for the essentials of life."

The suit was especially critical of the hospital's emergency ward, saying it is so poorly staffed that patients are often marooned there for days while they wait to be evaluated.

The suit also says the bathroom facilities are horrible and people who complain about anything are handcuffed, beaten, or drugged.

So, what the hell? I mean, I'm sure people have heard stories like this before. In fact just over a year ago a lady in L.A. died in the emergency room of a hospital. Apparently the hospital they were at weren't helping, so the husband called 911, who refused to send someone to take her to another hospital. Instead the police arrived to arrest her and she died while they were taking her out.

So, my interests of discussion are several fold:

1. How the hell do people become so callous as to ignore those suffering right before their eyes? Just what the hell kind of depravity is going on in the medical industry?

2. How the hell are we allowing this to even be a possibility in our country and why the fuck is it happening?

3. How can we fix this? I don't mean 'eventually' meaning never I mean like now. Because we always say we're going to change shit like with the VA and it's treatment of vets but it never happens the damn problem gets band-aided for a while until people forget about it then it happens again.

4. Why can the state involuntarily commit someone when they don't even have the resources to give them even basic care?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
Kagera on

• Options
    Popped CollarPopped Collar __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    First person to post about the bystander effect gets beat over the head

Popped Collar on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    First person to post about the bystander effect gets beat over the head

Its real and normal enough. For the patients. The STAFF, on the other hand, gets no such pass..

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    These stories are always fun. Wasn't there one in LA a year back where a woman bled to death on the floor and people just stepped over her?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't know anything about that Brooklyn Hospital, but I will tell you that the King-Harbor hospital in LA is an absolute bureaucratic clusterfuck. Edith Rodriguez's death was just the tip of the iceberg of a much deeper organizational sickness at that hospital.

Unfortunately LA needs a hospital in that location, but if they could just fire everybody that works there, bulldoze it, and build it again from scratch with all new people they'd be better off. Unfortunately there are a lot of people in the county that just want it closed permanently because it's in the middle of the ghetto and, well fuck those poor people who go to the ER and don't pay taxes, right?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    These stories are always fun. Wasn't there one in LA a year back where a woman bled to death on the floor and people just stepped over her?

She was shot in a store in a mall or something, as I recall, and was on the floor for like an hour before someone helped her.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Popped CollarPopped Collar __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008

She was shot in a store in a mall or something, as I recall, and was on the floor for like an hour before someone helped her.

And a bum was shot and killed in an alley and layed against a wall for days before anyone even gave a damn to report it to the police (after the dude started to rot and stink the place). But this kind of behavior isn't exactly new or interesting to discuss. Its human nature. There are bigger things to talk about here.

Popped Collar on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    You see, this is why you should never go to a hospital with the name of a type of royalty, because there's always ghosts, axe murderers, AXE murderers, deplorable conditions, or some combination of the four.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    You see, this is why you should never go to a hospital with the name of a type of royalty, because there's always ghosts, axe murderers, AXE murderers, deplorable conditions, or some combination of the four.

Well actually I was thinking both hospitals were named after Martin Luther King. Jr.

At least the LA one is.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Every few years somebody died at King-Harbor (FKA King-Drew) due to blatant negligence. The hospital is closed now, but that just means that ambulances have to drive even farther to get people from the ghetto to emergency rooms.

Again, we need something there, but nobody wanted to actually work there because it's fucking South-Central (we're talking next door to Compton here), the county didn't want to hire any actual skilled management because it was a big old money sink, nobody with money or insurance to pay their bills wanted to go there because there are a dozen other better hospitals in LA county to choose from, and I mean it when I say the whole facility was/is a goddamn clusterfuck.

I'm having a little problem with my tenses here because it's technically indefinitely shut down, but if they don't reopen it or reopen something in Willowbrook within the next few years they're begging to have another riot on their hands. Figuratively and literally.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    steamypilesteamypile Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just to clear up a bit, it's a psych ward, not an ER.

steamypile on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Something similar happened here in Atlanta at Grady Hospital. A woman had very obvious signs of severe injury or something, but the hopsital wouldn't admit her immediately. There was some mumbling of stuff about insurance or racism or something (she was a poor black woman), but ultimately some bystanders helped her call an ambulance so she could go to another hospital, but the dispatcher wouldn't send one for her since she was already at a hospital. She died on the floor of the waiting room.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Are Grady Hospital and Kings County Hospital in the middle of the ghetto too?

Wikipedia tells me that Kings County Hospital sees 600 gunshot and stabbing victims per year and is the target of 1/3 of the malpractice lawsuits in New York.

Feral on

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This seems to happen at least once a year and I'm always astounded by it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    To answer question one I'm going to take a wild guess that psych patients quite often do weird things like lay on the floor, scream, or make weird noises. I have never worked with the mentally ill, but I just try to imagine what it is like for those people in a hospital. I would guess that they see behavior like this all the time but without the dying part. I still don't think its appropriate to ignore them but I could see how it might happen.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    To answer question one I'm going to take a wild guess that psych patients quite often do weird things like lay on the floor, scream, or make weird noises. I have never worked with the mentally ill, but I just try to imagine what it is like for those people in a hospital. I would guess that they see behavior like this all the time but without the dying part. I still don't think its appropriate to ignore them but I could see how it might happen.

I was thinking something like this too, but like you say it's not appropriate to ignore them. Somebody should at least have come checked her vitals and responsiveness.

Feral on

• Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Well actually I was thinking both hospitals were named after Martin Luther King. Jr.

At least the LA one is.

Kings County hospital is named after, no surpise, Kings County, which is Brooklyn.

All these mentions of 911 not sending an ambulance to transport people claiming they're not being treated to another hospital seem reasonable to me, at least as far as 911 is concerned. They have to assume the patient has gone through triage correctly where they are and moving them will have no effect for them and tie up emergency services in the mean time. Just think for each of the cases where someone dies after making a call like that, how many are just impatient patients (heh) who think they deserve faster care?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Are Grady Hospital and Kings County Hospital in the middle of the ghetto too?

Wikipedia tells me that Kings County Hospital sees 600 gunshot and stabbing victims per year and is the target of 1/3 of the malpractice lawsuits in New York.

Yeah, Grady's Atlanta's public hospital. As far as I'm aware, it's not known for horrible abuses and mistreatment, just some very serious funding and staffing problems.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    EDIT: Nevermind - I was confusing articles.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

At least the LA one is.

Kings County hospital is named after, no surpise, Kings County, which is Brooklyn.

All these mentions of 911 not sending an ambulance to transport people claiming they're not being treated to another hospital seem reasonable to me, at least as far as 911 is concerned. They have to assume the patient has gone through triage correctly where they are and moving them will have no effect for them and tie up emergency services in the mean time. Just think for each of the cases where someone dies after making a call like that, how many are just impatient patients (heh) who think they deserve faster care?

I thought the same thing about the "impatient patients" and 911. Just imagine all the bullshit calls 911 must get...and from my understanding for every call an officer has to be dispatched even if you later say everything's calmed down and no one was hurt. If the caller is in a hospital it's natural for 911 to assume they're in a controlled environment. They aren't an ambulance dispatch service that liken themselves to a taxi company.

While I really am not an advocate of universal healthcare in the sense that all parties should be treated as equals (yes, I think pay-in/pay-out should matter but lets not get into that) they certainly shouldn't be treated like animals. In fact, I'm sure 99% of the population wouldn't treat animals like that.

Hembot on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Every few years somebody died at King-Harbor (FKA King-Drew) due to blatant negligence. The hospital is closed now, but that just means that ambulances have to drive even farther to get people from the ghetto to emergency rooms.

Again, we need something there, but nobody wanted to actually work there because it's fucking South-Central (we're talking next door to Compton here), the county didn't want to hire any actual skilled management because it was a big old money sink, nobody with money or insurance to pay their bills wanted to go there because there are a dozen other better hospitals in LA county to choose from, and I mean it when I say the whole facility was/is a goddamn clusterfuck.

I'm having a little problem with my tenses here because it's technically indefinitely shut down, but if they don't reopen it or reopen something in Willowbrook within the next few years they're begging to have another riot on their hands. Figuratively and literally.

Clusterfuck is probably an understatement. You're talking about a county where 6000 people a year die from medical error. Frankly, if only 1 person was left to die unattended in the halls of "Killer King" in 2007, it probably marked an improvement.

If you've heard the Ice Cube song "Alive on Arrival" about bleeding out from a gunshot wound in the waiting room of a hospital, he's talking about King-Drew. And that was back in 1991.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah it's one thing for an actual hospital to do that but a pysch hospital? I don't think it's that outlandish to think especially if according to the story there were other patients sitting right by her not doing anything. It's not a far stretch to assume if you are a passing staff member that there isn't much there that needs attention asap.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!