As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ikariam On] kitten-poem-wielding pirate-based alliance

1394041424345»

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do the level 2 and 3 technologies give you points in the total score now? I'm going to have 160 cargo ships next week, and am considering finishing my research or going for another colony as the next project.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Do the level 2 and 3 technologies give you points in the total score now? I'm going to have 160 cargo ships next week, and am considering finishing my research or going for another colony as the next project.

A few pages back someone implied that they do affect your score, but I dunno. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Does defending someone's port actually keep invaders out of their town?

The reason I ask is that I had an odd experience earlier today. I sent a second wave of troops to loot an idle town, the defenses I had taken out earlier in the day, and when I checked on it later, I noticed I had gotten a red 'Sea battle near so-and-so' message, which showed that another member of the idle's alliance had shown up, and that my fleet had been lost.

However, just above that message, was a green 'Battle for so-and-so' message. My troops were able to get in there and haul away some resources just fine. I sent a third wave of land troops, and got the same results; a failed sea battle followed by a successful land battle (although next to no resources pillaged, I guess I scrapped that barrel dry).

Any idea if that's normal or not? I thought that any lost sea battle would keep the attackers from getting to land, but maybe that's only if the town still has at least some naval forces left?

Dizzen on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There is a bug right now wherein you can land troops while the sea battle is still ongoing. Timing troops to land just after the sea battle has begun, therefore, is considered bug-using and is a bannable offense if done on purpose.

On the other hand, if you are attacking from the same island then their ships in port don't matter for the pillage.

Darian on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    There is a bug right now wherein you can land troops while the sea battle is still ongoing. Timing troops to land just after the sea battle has begun, therefore, is considered bug-using and is a bannable offense if done on purpose.

On the other hand, if you are attacking from the same island then their ships in port don't matter for the pillage.

Yeah, I ran into that one within a few days of the 0.3.0 update. Fun stuff! In this case though, I didn't send any naval ships to engage the idle-defender pair, and it was on a different island than my attacking colony, so it's kinda baffling.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Since I've got the new town that needs a meuseum I'm working on getting myself out of the cultural hole I'm in. Up to only -12! Anyone who needs a treaty with me, send it along. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hey Darian, McNuggle wants to interview you!
    1. How did you come to lead your alliance?

2. Why did you wish/accept to be the leader of said alliance?

3. Whats your favorite part of being a leader?

4 Least Favorite part?

5 What do you think it takes to be a good leader?

6 How long have you been playing Beta?

7 Are you ok if I use parts of your message in a post on the forums?

:P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    skarsol wrote: »

A few pages back someone implied that they do affect your score, but I dunno. :P

They do, but not a lot. It's like 15 or 20k added to your score. I have level 2 everything and am working on level 3 economy.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm finishing my last unit upgrade now. Once they're all done, I can destroy the workshop safely, right?

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm finishing my last unit upgrade now. Once they're all done, I can destroy the workshop safely, right?

Me too! I think we're safe, until they decide to add new units or something.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just finished my last upgrade and demolished my workshop to make room for another warehouse, and I can confirm that the little gold icons still show up in the barracks and shipyard.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Awesome, just lost 100 boats of goods cause apparently I was supposed to know we were updating to 3.1 today...

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This transition seems kind of buggy. Most of my ships were sent back to port after the update, so I had to resend them. Well, okay. Now one of the attackers seems to be fighting himself in a target inactive's town. That is, I sent a phalanx out, and now he's locked in combat -- Orogogus from Oxnard vs. jman from vegor and Orogogus from Oxnard.

I can only assume that I'm going to lose.

===

EDIT: It's been about an hour, and there haven't been any updates on the fight. I tried retreating my force, which usually gets it killed, but nothing. So I guess I need to file a bug report or something, since it's tying up an action point and 11 ships.

I notice that the reporting on the Trade fleet screen has reverted to the pre-0.3.0 method, where you can see how many resources you've looted as soon as you win the battle. In 0.3.0 I'd have to wait until the ships had finished loading, unless I was looting from the same island that the target was on.

Also, action points are tied to the ships again. I'm pretty sure that in 0.3.0 I would get my action points back as soon as I won the battle, but now I have to wait for the ships to return to port. Oh well, that was nice while it lasted, just like the museum "bug".

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just stumbled on http://www.playnileonline.com/ which is by tilted mill, the Children of the Nile guys. It's an online game pretty similar to Ikariam. I'm gonna play for a few days and see what I think.

captaink on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Alright, so this KK168 is starting to really piss me off. He's been attacking my wine colony and both of my marble colonies from his wine colony, RHT WINE at Enoutia[32:38].

I'm doing the best I can with what resources I have, but it'd be totally cool if one of you guys could pound his face in for me. He's sending somewhere around 50 ships to blockade Obstacle 2 (my 1st marble colony) right now, and I'm responding by sending pretty much my whole navy of 67 ships.

edit:

On the 14.05.2009 22:31 Kajusta wrote:
    > I'd appreciate it if you didn't attack my towns for no reason, mate.

Reply:
    > That's life, I have beed attack everyday when I was new, now is payback time.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Looks like it's a 21 hour one way from my closest town. If he's still doing it tomorrow and noone else steps up, holler and I'll try sending something.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I have -6 cultural things and 3 free meuseam slots. I can't seem to sent cultural treaties to anyone (going through the cultural treaty thread on the boards). Any idea if I have to get remove some dongs to get to a non-negative number in order to send more? Or more details on how this shit works now?

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have -6 cultural things and 3 free meuseam slots. I can't seem to sent cultural treaties to anyone (going through the cultural treaty thread on the boards). Any idea if I have to get remove some dongs to get to a non-negative number in order to send more? Or more details on how this shit works now?

You'll need to get back to non-negative before you can send more, yes. I think you can probably still accept at a negative, though, if you can get other people to send them to you.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Darian wrote: »

You'll need to get back to non-negative before you can send more, yes. I think you can probably still accept at a negative, though, if you can get other people to send them to you.

No, I had too many outstanding. I deleted some requests and I'm able to send them out now even though I'm at -6.

Edit: It might be because I have actual open mueseum slots.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It looks like there's a cooldown time between when you cancel a cultural asset treaty and yet get to attack the former treaty partner with impunity. Does anyone know how long this cooldown is? I'm not sure if it's a new thing or not. Also, how bad is the happiness hit if I attack anyway?

Something else I noticed: Failed attacks teleport the cargo ships back to port again, like in pre-0.3.0. The changelog is badly incomplete.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It looks like there's a cooldown time between when you cancel a cultural asset treaty and yet get to attack the former treaty partner with impunity. Does anyone know how long this cooldown is? I'm not sure if it's a new thing or not. Also, how bad is the happiness hit if I attack anyway?

Something else I noticed: Failed attacks teleport the cargo ships back to port again, like in pre-0.3.0. The changelog is badly incomplete.

The penalty is pretty bad. I accidentally did it and it was several hundred happiness.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The time limit is 3 days, incidentally. I received a message in my Towns menu as follows:

3 days ago the termination of our culture goods agreement with xxxx was announced. Now all his works of art from the museum in yyyy have been removed and are ceremoniously being thrown into the sea.

Orogogus on