As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii] Core Games AOC - After October Conference - Games? GAMES!! [56k GTFO]

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The internet is serious business. You should know that by now.

Darian on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Couscous, it sounds like it could be the infra-red camera on your wiimote itself, since the candle trick didn't work. Do you have a second wii remote you can try with?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    plufim wrote: »
    Couscous, it sounds like it could be the infra-red camera on your wiimote itself, since the candle trick didn't work. Do you have a second wii remote you can try with?

Nay.

Couscous on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bugger. A faulty IR camera is the only problem left I can think of.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    New HOTD : OVERKILL preview

This really is a must watch. The game looks to be shaping up fantastic, and we get to see a lot of new footage that gives us a feel for how it'll play.

Thoughts:

+ Environments, while lacking high amounts of detail, are well rendered and flawlessly add to the grindhouse motif.

+ Frame rate is silky smooth

+ Zombie animation looks pretty great

- Enemy models aren't too hot, but that should improve as development continues

- The IR is a bit shaky, but again, that's something that will likely be fixed.

Guek on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm just going to smoothly segue into asking when the big Nintendo event will be. Is there anything before E3 in May, because since it's been 24 months since the latest stationary Zelda I am predicting an announcement
    of Wii Music 2: Surrender Or Shigsy Will *Punch* Your Mother and *Laugh* At Her.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    there is usually a spring conference. the last one was held in april.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Guek wrote: »

Thanks kindly. If I may inquire more, what was the magnitude/importance of the stuff revealed during this April conference?

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

This really is a must watch. The game looks to be shaping up fantastic, and we get to see a lot of new footage that gives us a feel for how it'll play.

Thoughts:

+ Environments, while lacking high amounts of detail, are well rendered and flawlessly add to the grindhouse motif.

- Enemy models aren't too hot, but that should improve as development continues

- The IR is a bit shaky, but again, that's something that will likely be fixed.

oohhh day 1 buy =)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kastanj wrote: »

Thanks kindly. If I may inquire more, what was the magnitude/importance of the stuff revealed during this April conference?

depends on what software is available. Last april, I believe smash bros was the highlight of the conference.

It's unlikely that they'll announce anything huge since E3 is pretty close to that anyway. You never know, I guess.

Guek on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

depends on what software is available. Last april, I believe smash bros was the highlight of the conference.

It's unlikely that they'll announce anything huge since E3 is pretty close to that anyway. You never know, I guess.
    Nintendo announced shit at E3, then showed off a ton of new games at that October conference. E3 really doesn't mean a whole lot at this point.

Graviija on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Thoughts:

Fuck. They didn't mention if there was going to be 1:1 calibration like in HOTD23 and Ghost Squad.

slash000 on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah hopefully they didn't overlook that because that's what made those other games so easy to control.

I can't believe it's taken companies this long to put out a kick ass, built from the ground up, Wii lightgun shooter.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

So I can safely assume there probably will be no new games of significance but perhaps some new media. Oh well. Roll on May, and the good stuff.

Considering the usual fare "good stuff" by now will probably mean a Pikmin 3 trailer and some Motion Plus zealotry or something.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nickle wrote: »
    From what we can tell through screenshots, there are going to be sections where you can slow down and fight enemies as well as stages where you can blaze through at full speed. I think that choice is up to the player though. It wont be SatSR in terms of controls, that's for certain.

How does anyone think this is a good idea for a Sonic game? It's Sonic the goddamn Hedgehog.

The only part that makes me happy is that they mention it's a choice. Unleashed forces you to be the werehog thing at least half of the time, and it's just so incredibly horrible. It might be helped by some kind of lock on feature, but it would still be boring as hell.

I wasn't one to bag on it before I tried the game, but now I just can't fathom how anyone thought the werehog shit was a good idea.

Say what you will, but I and others think that the werehog sections are fun, and I would argue that they're even more fun that the Daytime sections.
    Really? I guess to each his own. I really liked the day sections, but then again I didn't get very far into the game because of the (IMO) mindless werehog crap.

The werehog stuff just seemed so forced to me. They added in some PoP style platforming, but the controls are so imprecise that it's a joke. And waggling to climb up poles?...
    The problem might be that you were playing the Wii version.

Glal on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah hopefully they didn't overlook that because that's what made those other games so easy to control.

I can't believe it's taken companies this long to put out a kick ass, built from the ground up, Wii lightgun shooter.

Umbrella Chronicles? It is the kickassiest.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Umbrella Chronicles? It is the kickassiest.

yeah, that game is great

Xaquin on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    From what we can tell through screenshots, there are going to be sections where you can slow down and fight enemies as well as stages where you can blaze through at full speed. I think that choice is up to the player though. It wont be SatSR in terms of controls, that's for certain.

How does anyone think this is a good idea for a Sonic game? It's Sonic the goddamn Hedgehog.

The only part that makes me happy is that they mention it's a choice. Unleashed forces you to be the werehog thing at least half of the time, and it's just so incredibly horrible. It might be helped by some kind of lock on feature, but it would still be boring as hell.

I wasn't one to bag on it before I tried the game, but now I just can't fathom how anyone thought the werehog shit was a good idea.

Say what you will, but I and others think that the werehog sections are fun, and I would argue that they're even more fun that the Daytime sections.
    Really? I guess to each his own. I really liked the day sections, but then again I didn't get very far into the game because of the (IMO) mindless werehog crap.

The werehog stuff just seemed so forced to me. They added in some PoP style platforming, but the controls are so imprecise that it's a joke. And waggling to climb up poles?...

Well, the waggle is annoying, but the actual design of the werehog sections is horrid. I'm not sure about the differences between the two in that regard. I'm gonna give it another shot this weekend, maybe if I get a bit further it'll get interesting. As it stands, though, the werehog parts play like N64 shovelware platformer #465.

e: HotD: Overkill is probably gonna be day one. I'd buy it the way it looks now, and if they can improve it substantially in the next coming months it'll be a no-brainer.

e2: Not changing it, it seems appropriate.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Next year is going to be an expensive year for this Wii owner. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Glal wrote: »

Well, the waggle is annoying, but the actual design of the werehog sections is horrid. I'm not sure about the differences between the two in that regard. I'm gonna give it another shot this weekend, maybe if I get a bit further it'll get interesting. As it stands, though, the werehog parts play like N64 shovelware platformer #465.
    Maybe give the game's thread on this forum a glance. While some people like it more than others, pretty much everyone agrees that the Wii/PS2 versions are inferior in most every way, including how well characters control and actual gameplay mechanics despite those not being limited by hardware.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I still need Galaxy, BWii, and a couple others from this year lol

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »

I still haven't bought BWii either...and I still need Okami. ARRGH!

I just bought Animal Crossing, and my next purchase is going to be Mushroom Men...so the other two will wait.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I just bought Animal Crossing, and my next purchase is going to be Mushroom Men...so the other two will wait.

Okami is so worth it.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So is BWii. That game doesn't get enough love around here.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    BWii?

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Battalion Wars II

Renzo on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Battalion Wars. Also Elebits. I fucking loved that game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Okami is so worth it.

It was $10-15 on Amazon on Black Friday. I feel the pain of anyone who didn't jump on that.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Battalion Wars. Also Elebits. I fucking loved that game.

Elebits was awesome. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I still want to buy Mushroom Men. And de Blob (hopefully getting as Christmas gift). And Tales: DotNW (playing the first one now). And Monster Lab. And Fire Emblem. And a bunch of WiiWare / VC releases. And I still need to finish Baroque. And find time to explore Endless Ocean. I don't know how I'm going to get through this backlog.

On the plus side, I don't think I'll ever run into a time in the next year where I say, "I'm bored, I have nothing to play."

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    pslong9 wrote: »

I still want to buy Mushroom Men. And de Blob (hopefully getting as Christmas gift). And Tales: DotNW (playing the first one now). And Monster Lab. And Fire Emblem. And a bunch of WiiWare / VC releases. And I still need to finish Baroque. And find time to explore Endless Ocean. I don't know how I'm going to get through this backlog.

On the plus side, I don't think I'll ever run into a time in the next year where I say, "I'm bored, I have nothing to play."

De Blob! <3

One of my favorite purchases on the system.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Monster Lab was awesome.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Was it good...I hadn't read anything about it once it was released.

Is it like Frankenstein meets Pokemon?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's more Frankenstein meats Custom Robo. It's really good. I had it on my Gamefly, but the sheer amounts of games coming out the past month or so I had to send it back before I spent anymore money.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I liked custom robo...I just might have to give it a try.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    pslong9 wrote: »

Yea, thanks to being abroad without my Wii (or other consoles except DS) most of 2007 and having drastically reduced playing time due to engagement, travel, house buying in 2008, I have a nice backlog of games, particularly on the Wii, I've accumulated over 2 years ... so I'm covered for quite a while. The downside is there are still a lot of games (across all systems) I want but can't justify buying until I work through some of my backlog.

I just finished No More Heroes a few weeks ago (the sequel will be a day one buy for me), and I am finally getting around to playing Metroid Prime 3 (absolutely love it ... though I gotta find someone with some friend vouchers sometime :P )

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I bought both Eledees and Tony Hawk Downhill Jam from bargain. Eledees was pretty much what I was excepting, but I was surprised how much I actually enjoyed THDJ. It's ugly and framerate isn't smooth, but gameplay is pretty solid.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    so phantom brave is being ported to the wii. never played it but i think a lot of people here liked it.

details:
    phantom_bravewii_package.jpg
    - port of PS2 version
    - free run system
    - movement limited by DM points
    - Marona, main character, tethers phantoms to background objects
    - Wii version getting mysterious character, which could be Plenair
    - hits Japan on March 12th for $78 (what the bloody hell??)

probably japan only though.

Guek on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wasn't a big fan of Phantom Brave, but NIS support on the Wii is more than welcome.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rogue Trooper (PS2/XBOX/PC) is now being ported to the Wii

Dr Mario Kart on