Options

Black Shades - Psychic Bodyguard Action

ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
Black Shades
AssaultRifle.jpg
In Black Shades you are a psychic bodyguard who protects the VIP. That's right, psychic, not "psychotic." Now that we have the deeply involved backstory out of the way, let's talk a bit more about this game. According to the main site:
Black Shades was one of the winners of the UDevGame 2002 contest, out of about 40 contestants. David Rosen aimed for a much simpler graphical style than in GLFighters and Lugaru in order to complete the game within the deadline. In Black Shades you control a psychic bodyguard, and try to protect the VIP (dressed in white) from a horde of zombies, snipers and other assorted would-be assassins.
Yes, this game can easily be seen as rather ugly. Yes, everything is triangular polygons. Yes, this game is awesome.

As a psychic bodyguard, there are a few powers that you are in possession of, powers that elevate you from the level of this guy:
bodyguard.jpg
To this guy:
2u5gn5w.jpg
You can, for instance, slow down time to help aim. Or, if you really feel like taking things to the world of the supernatural, leave your body to fly around highlighting disguised assassins. But of course, the power you will notice most is that your psychic visions allow you to see the line-of-sight of any assassins with guns, helping you out a bit.

Still, the power you will take advantage of time after time if the power to restart the level, because you suck. How is this level restart explained?
If you die or your VIP is killed.. the level restarts. If you are are interested in the theory behind this: you are a psychic bodyguard, so you can see small distances into the future. The failure only occurred in a possible future which you are now going to try and avoid.
next007.jpg
Yes, you are motherfucking Nicholas Cage

What sets Black Shades apart from the rest of the FPS crowd is the intense feeling you will experience while protecting your VIP by shooting, stabbing, punching, tackling and disarming your way to safety. Unable to kill a shooter? Quickly tackle your client out of harm's way. Out of ammo? Walk right up to an assailant and take his weapon, or knock him out and pick it up from his body. Attacked by zombies? Well, the only advice I can give here is knock them down and go for the head!

Controls
WASD = walk
shift = run
mouse = look
control = crouch/zoom
click = fire (while aiming) or smash (while running) or pick up gun (while crouching over a body and not aiming) or disarm (while not aiming)
q = aim or un-aim (important for picking up guns)
r = reload
e = psychic aim (Slow-mo)
z = toggle soul release
space = dive (while running forwards)

This is not a game to be played by those will short tempers and no patience. You will, over and over again, have mere seconds left on the clock when suddenly this douchebag right here:
SneakyStab.jpg
Cuts the fuck out of your client and starts you on a murderous rampage.

Black Shades is based around score, so even if you haven't beaten it (I'm not sure if you can) post your highest score here. It doesn't matter if this was only the peak, and afterwards you lost scads of points because you accidentally slit up a few civilians. We accept that here. It happens.

Downloads:
Windows
Mac OS Classic
Mac OS X
Linux

Ilmmad.gif
ilmmad on

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This sounds awesome.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This game is rad. Simple yet entertaining.

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    6425 highscore, up to the level with the 1:30 time limit. I've gotten as far as one with a 1:00 zombie stage, but stopped there.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow, these sniper rifle guys keep kicking my ass.

6290, up to the second sniper rifle stage. Those guys are jerks.

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Voranth wrote: »
    Wow, these sniper rifle guys keep kicking my ass.

6290, up to the second sniper rifle stage. Those guys are jerks.

You know duck aims with the rifle right?

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    Thor1590Thor1590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was doing pretty alright until they made me use hand grenades.

Thor1590 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thor1590 wrote: »
    I was doing pretty alright until they made me use hand grenades.

Walk up to someone and click to disarm them.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So the 60 second zombie level is basically the worst thing ever.

Edit: Shazam! Finally beat it.

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sagaxus wrote: »
    So the 60 second zombie level is basically the worst thing ever.

Edit: Shazam! Finally beat it.

Score?

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    3950. I don't know if that's good or bad or what.

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sagaxus wrote: »
    3950. I don't know if that's good or bad or what.

Don't ask me I don't have a clue.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Cool game, can't hit shit though. Damn those controls are hard.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Very cool game, got a bit far until the 1:30 minute mission where you have the Magnum, then, my score dropped to 1000-some so I think I'll try again later.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    6455. For now my standard is "up to the 1:30 level"

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This game sounds interesting. Downloading now.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    8005!

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    game is fun

played like 6 years ago on mac classic

oh damn

Sueve on
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This game is addictive. It's also fucking hard.

It started out great. I was blasting dudes, tackling shit.

Then the game threw zombies at me. I was like, "Alright game, we'll go with it." I went to town with my shotgun.

Then game said, "That's too easy man, here's a knife." And I was like, "Aw dude, for real?" but I made it through.

I said, "What now game, is that all you got?" Game just looked at me, and handed me a pile of grenades.
    Then game sent swarms of guys at me and Mr. White Pajamas. I blew up the VIP so many times I lost count.

You win game... you win.

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    10066, up to the mission after the 1:30 one, which I did in one shot.. Tackling zombies then putting a round in their head is great. Also so is disarming all the snipers in the third mission.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    10600, up to the mission after the 1:30 one, which I managed to do with zero restarts. Tackling zombies then putting a round in their head is great. Also so is disarming all the snipers in the third mission.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hmm... completed the game, but it doesn't count punching someone out as incapacitating them so it doesn't give you points for it. 5090. Now to see if I can actually get a decent score.

Smasher on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jeez, i couldn't get past the 2nd knife level, too many damn snipers and then come the knifers while you try to run back... i love the slow-mo though

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    AHHHHHHH how the hell do you do the minute zombie level where you have a handgun. I cant even manage to get more than 20 seconds in.

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Bill Cosby wrote: »
    AHHHHHHH how the hell do you do the minute zombie level where you have a handgun. I cant even manage to get more than 20 seconds in.

the zombs take 2 shots to down, 3 shots to kill I think, head shots should bring em down perminently in 2 hits... i think. Make good use of the slow-mo power and double tap to keep em' back. That was my strategy anyway

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also, can we put the contols in the OP? I went through like 15 levels before finding out you can tackle and 20 before i found out how to mellee them. How do you disarm and use this "soul release" thing?

Edit: Ah, its in the readme. Still you should put it in there for easy reference.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Controls:
    WASD = walk
    shift = run
    mouse = look
    control = crouch/zoom
    click = fire (while aiming) or smash (while running) or pick up gun (while crouching over a body and not aiming) or disarm (while not aiming)
    q = aim or un-aim (important for picking up guns)
    r = reload
    e = psychic aim
    z = toggle soul release
    space = dive (while running forwards)

High Score of 10615 and I know I can do better.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    Wow, this is tremendously difficult.

I still haven't gotten past the first level. I don't think I'm making adequate use of the 'move your soul' feature... I try to use it but then... blargh. Someone always runs from behind and knifes the fucker.

Organichu on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I remember this from a few years ago. Such a great concept; somebody needs to make a full game out of this, with save support and hundreds of levels.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    One tip: Anybody in the street is your enemy and should be killed immediately. If they haven't pulled out a weapon yet, they're just about to.

Smasher on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Smasher wrote: »
    One tip: Anybody in the street is your enemy and should be killed immediately. If they haven't pulled out a weapon yet, they're just about to.

Killing random civilians reduces your score I think.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Here's a better tip: In case you haven't noticed, normal people do not cross the street. Bust a cap on any jaywalkers because they just want to kill Whitey.

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    That's what I was referring to; I meant street as opposed to the sidewalk.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Smasher wrote: »
    That's what I was referring to; I meant street as opposed to the sidewalk.

I totally knew that...

Umm... Repeatedly tackling Whitey is fun and useful.

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You can enable debug by finding the Black Shades folder (C:\Program Files) and editing config so show fps is 1. Tab will toggle third person, f will force push.

But yeah the best way to juice your score is to disarm everyone. Then shoot them. Except for people with knives; shoot them from he get go because the knife won't let you disarm, and there is a bonus for killing people with knives.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This looks fucking sweet trying right now

EDIT: OH GOD MY EYES. Anyone know how to change the resolution?
    Edit2: NM Found a config file

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Any Linux users managed to compile this? It seems that the author forgot to mention a few dependencies in the readme.
    $ make
    g++ -o ./objs/blackshades ./objs/Camera.o ./objs/Decals.o ./objs/Fog.o ./objs/Frustum.o ./objs/GameDraw.o ./objs/GameInitDispose.o ./objs/GameLoop.o ./objs/GameTick.o ./objs/Globals.o ./objs/MacInput.o ./objs/Main.o ./objs/Maths.o ./objs/Models.o ./objs/Person.o ./objs/Quaternions.o ./objs/Serialize.o ./objs/Skeleton.o ./objs/Sprites.o ./objs/Support.o ./objs/TGALoader.o ./objs/Text.o ./objs/Timer.o -L/usr/lib -lSDL -lGL -lGLU -lopenal -lalut  -lvorbisfile -lvorbis
    ./objs/Decals.o: In function `Decals::LoadCraterTexture(char*)':
    /home/james/games/blackshades/Source/Decals.cpp:290: undefined reference to `loadTexture(char const*, unsigned int, unsigned int, bool)'
    ./objs/Decals.o: In function `Decals::LoadBloodTexture(char*, int)':
    /home/james/games/blackshades/Source/Decals.cpp:285: undefined reference to `loadTexture(char const*, unsigned int, unsigned int, bool)'
    ./objs/Decals.o: In function `Decals::LoadBulletHoleTexture(char*)':
    /home/james/games/blackshades/Source/Decals.cpp:280: undefined reference to `loadTexture(char const*, unsigned int, unsigned int, bool)'
    ./objs/GameInitDispose.o: In function `LoadPersonSpriteTexture(char*, unsigned int*)':
    /home/james/games/blackshades/Source/GameInitDispose.cpp:1349: undefined reference to `loadTexture(char const*, unsigned int, unsigned int, bool)'
    ./objs/Sprites.o: In function `Sprites::LoadBulletTexture(char*)':
    /home/james/games/blackshades/Source/Sprites.cpp:118: undefined reference to `loadTexture(char const*, unsigned int, unsigned int, bool)'
    ./objs/Sprites.o:/home/james/games/blackshades/Source/Sprites.cpp:113: more undefined references to `loadTexture(char const*, unsigned int, unsigned int, bool)' follow
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [objs/blackshades] Error 1

Frem on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    IT'S SO DIFFICULT

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DAMNIT.

I got to the Zombie level. I was doing pretty danged good force pushing everyone... but I just couldn't finish. Again and again.

I want to delete it. I want to.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Does anyone else have enemies randomly disappear for a second or two? They're still there and I can shoot them, but it makes it difficult when I'm trying to snipe them and they vanish.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The game is pretty fun.

Gorilla Salad on