As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Image Metrics believe they've cracked Uncanny Valley

APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
Image Metrics did the facial animation for GTA4. They've got a very impressive tech demo which shows how they believe they've cracked the uncanny valley issue with some new facial animation techniques and extremely high-end graphics.

Video/Article:
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article4557935.ece

This absolutely amazed me. It's not perfect, but it just astonishes me. There's not much else to say. In the words of the Matrix, I can't tell you - you really just have to see the video for yourself.

I wouldn't say Uncanny Valley is cracked but.. damn this is a huge step forward. The only problem I can see really is there doesn't seem to be enough movement in her face outside of the main areas like her brow, mouth and eyes. But.. that's kind of it. Amazing.

APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
APZonerunner on

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hasn't the Uncanny Valley been hopped over by dozens of people? I know I don't run screaming when characters from Mass Effect speak. Uncanny Valley doesn't mean "Is not absolutely photorealistic".

That said, it's definitely amazing in terms of how well-animated it is.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    her lip movements are off and her eyes are too steady, but yeah, that's pretty cool

now show it to me in a way that's interactive

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hasn't the Uncanny Valley been hopped over by dozens of people? I know I don't run screaming when characters from Mass Effect speak. Uncanny Valley doesn't mean "Is not absolutely photorealistic".

I don't know. There's something about the way characters are modelled and animated in games like Mass Effect and GTA4 that makes it very different (and less susceptable to uncanny valley syndrome) to what they're trying to achieve here. Though I can't explain what.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    her lip movements are off and her eyes are too steady, but yeah, that's pretty cool

now show it to me in a way that's interactive

where's rvcontre and his crane operator simulation?

there are a few flaws with it, but that didn't stop me from shitting bricks.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Something about it.... motion too fluid, lacked the little twitches of a real muscle and nervous system

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I don't know. There's something about the way characters are modelled and animated in games like Mass Effect and GTA4 that makes it very different (and less susceptable to uncanny valley syndrome) to what they're trying to achieve here. Though I can't explain what.

It's probably because they look just fine in the context of the videogame's world and environment. If you took a character from mass effect or GTAiV and placed them next to real-life footage of a person talking and emoting it would look weird and robotic. It's all about context.

Anyway, even if all the humans in Mass Effect were rendered photorealistically, they'd still look bloody weird.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's still light years ahead of anything else I've seen. Believable at a glance.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    sometimes uncanny valley doesn't mean "creepy" or "unsettling," it just means you know almost immediately that what you're watching isn't real. mass effect never looked real to me, but it was damn close if you just glanced at it or caught it from the corner of your eye.

edit: holy shit watched the video.

on a small monitor, that was 100% photorealistic to me. i wouldn't be able to tell that was computer generated at all. not on this monitor.

that is fucking incredible.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Actually this unsettled me more than a bit.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    sometimes uncanny valley doesn't mean "creepy" or "unsettling," it just means you know almost immediately that what you're watching isn't real. mass effect never looked real to me, but it was damn close if you just glanced at it or caught it from the corner of your eye.

edit: holy shit watched the video.

on a small monitor, that was 100% photorealistic to me. i wouldn't be able to tell that was computer generated at all. not on this monitor.

that is fucking incredible.

Yeah, it just means that the closer you get to real-looking, the more obvious the little flaws appear. This generally causes revulsion or a creepy feeling, but the main point is that you focus more on the little details rather than letting them slide.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The facial expressions right at the end are much stronger.

Also look at those hands, damn.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »

I agree, at the beginning I was like, no--this is pretty uncanny. But the ending ones were very convincing.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Longer and higher quality video here.

It's amazing.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, that is frighteningly awesome.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just showed this to a few guys at work, they didn't believe me.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There may be a few little flaws here and there, but as a tool for conveying emotion, this could literally change everything.

Of course, because it's so good, game studios might have to stop hiring second rate actors.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Part of things being uncanny is not just the animation but the graphics detail (which includes rigging). We still have a long way to go before we can display something that looks like this in a game environment, even if it's rigged/animated this well, which it probably wouldn't be.

Maybe by the end of the next console generation, though.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Falstaff wrote: »
    Of course, because it's so good, film studios might have to stop hiring actors.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    isn't this how they did it in one of the matrix movies? They took the animations of the face of an actor and pasted it onto a model and made sure it looked alright

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Falstaff wrote: »
    There may be a few little flaws here and there, but as a tool for conveying emotion, this could literally change everything.

Of course, because it's so good, game studios might have to stop hiring second rate actors.

I've quite found that is not the problem, in my opinion the problem is more game studios hiring first rate actors who just phone it in

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's better than anything I've seen in the past, but the eyes are still a little off. It looks like the eyes are independant of the face or something.

Deicist on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    Part of things being uncanny is not just the animation but the graphics detail (which includes rigging). We still have a long way to go before we can display something that looks like this in a game environment, even if it's rigged/animated this well, which it probably wouldn't be.

Maybe by the end of the next console generation, though.

i think the animations are more important than the graphics detail as far as textures etc go. What really makes games like Mass Effect look unrealistic is the animation, which is always way too smooth and noticeably distinct from how real people move. The faces have similar problems. Resolve the animation issues, and lower-quality graphics aren't so bad, especially when blurry or filtered or seen from a distance.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The thing that scares me is that with something this good people can commit crimes and then frame other people by using something like this that looks exactly like them on film.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MadroxMadrox NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Also look at those hands, damn.

It's just the face

Madrox on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    part of why HL2 was so fantastic was because the animations made characters come alive

more game companies should put an emphasis on animations

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That is amazing.

I'm also laughing at the people that popped in with criticisms.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I cant get over how crooked the mouth looks. Other than that its great. But we are talking about the face only right? The rest of the actress is real... if im not mistaken?

And HL2 has had the best facial expressions ive ever seen so far. But i have yet to play Mass Effect so maybe its been dethroned.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Witchsight wrote: »
    I cant get over how crooked the mouth looks. Other than that its great. But we are talking about the face only right? The rest of the actress is real... if im not mistaken?

And HL2 has had the best facial expressions ive ever seen so far. But i have yet to play Mass Effect so maybe its been dethroned.

Yeah, they just superimposed the CG face over her actual face.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    @Satanismymotor:
    me too! I thought that what IM have done is astounding, and as for the critics... well, on the one hand, you have Image Metrics, who have created what may be the most believable piece of CG rendering of a human being to date, and have contributed their technology to one of the best- selling games of the year so far. On the other hand, you have someone posting on an internet message board... Hrm!

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Witchsight wrote: »

Yeah, they just superimposed the CG face over her actual face.

yeah, that's a little disappointing actually

they didn't model the head or body motions, which are what make it realistic to me

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't quite get why some of you guys are criticizing the small details, maybe you guys have seen stuff that blows this away, but as far as I'm concerned, it's amazing.

It really just... blows everything I've seen so far away. And I'm really excited about it.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's very good, but I still feel like they barely landed in the valley. Something is very disturbing about it.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's still light years ahead of anything else I've seen. Believable at a glance.

LIGHT YEARS ARE A MEASUREMENT OF DISTANCE. NOT TIME.

[/nerd]

Yeah, that's pretty freaky though, in its total non-freakiness.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mr Ray wrote: »

LIGHT YEARS ARE A MEASUREMENT OF DISTANCE. NOT TIME.

[/nerd]

Yeah, that's pretty freaky though, in its total non-freakiness.

'Miles ahead of blah blah' is a pretty common saying. Miles are a measurement of distance as well.

Deicist on
  • Options
    Claw ShrimpClaw Shrimp Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's really good, but her skin is waaaay too unblemished. Still, I probably wouldn't have noticed or even known she was CG if I as just shown the video.

As for the uncanny valley, I wasn't disturbed by the fact that something artificial could look so real, but it did bother me that I would have trouble telling the two apart.

Claw Shrimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The valley will be just as uncanny to a cultured eye; just wait for your perception to catch up with another stride along our asymptotic progression toward reality.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Inzigna wrote: »
    I don't quite get why some of you guys are criticizing the small details, maybe you guys have seen stuff that blows this away, but as far as I'm concerned, it's amazing.

That's pretty much the nature of the uncanny valley though. The closer you get to realism, the more the little things are going to stick out and make it look awkward.

subedii on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kaseius wrote: »
    It's very good, but I still feel like they barely landed in the valley. Something is very disturbing about it.

Then they landed smack dab in the middle of the valley, no?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »

That's pretty much the nature of the uncanny valley though. The closer you get to realism, the more the little things are going to stick out and make it look awkward.

Yeah, that's.. exactly what it is. Seriously, people need to go and look up the definition of it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Precisely.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.