Options

Obsolete Fallout thread. Please lock.

freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jonesand his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
freakish light on

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Haha, nice thread title too.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No Mutants, Al!

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll be here in the corner waiting for the game to come out.

why does this game have to release itself in the first month back at school? =(

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't played the first fallout games, I love RPGs, how worth it will it be for me to play one of the previous ones before this comes out? or should I just read the whole Wiki article? If I do play one, which one should it be?

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Bamzu commercials make me think of Fallout.
    walnutmon wrote: »
    I haven't played the first fallout games, I love RPGs, how worth it will it be for me to play one of the previous ones before this comes out? or should I just read the whole Wiki article? If I do play one, which one should it be?

Definitely worth it and play both if you can.

Bamzu!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I've just started replaying the first game and it holds up incredibly well. It's also really, really fun. I don't know how much this new game is going to relate to the first two, but you should play them both anyway.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do you work for Turner or something, Skutskut?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Do you work for Turner or something, Skutskut?

No but I like that commercial.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is either decidedly better than the other? Time is not of the essence, I will certainly attempt to play both.

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Depends, 1, depending on who you ask, has the better story, but 2 improves the overall gameplay a small amount, nothing drastic.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I think if I could only play one of them I'd probably choose the first.

Of course, ask me again in week and I'll probably change my mind.

Start with the first just because you'll enjoy all the references and improvements in the second game better that way.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I put in some links in the OP to make the Fallout 1 experience a little easier. Fallout 2 incoming after I get back from work =(

freakish light on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In terms of pre-ordering this. If you are going with either PS3 or Xbox360- is there one version that seems to have a slight edge?

Or does it really kind of go either way type thing (as it usually seems).

I've heard things about the xbox and pc version being in development longer, but Bethesda saying that doesn't really matter... Also about DLC for Pc and Xbox (but I'm guessing this will come to ps3?).

But I haven't read anything in previews that state one or the other looks more polished, plays better, etc.

Egos on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    re: playing Fallout1+2

They're similar enough that you can do your first playthough fallout 1, then move to fallout 2 for your second and third. They are both quality games that should really not be missed, especially if you are excited for Fallout 3. There are a few mods out there also to make the old games more "expansive" but totally not a requirement. (and not the right thread..)

Every gamer should play Fallout 1 and 2, you owe it to yourselves.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Egos wrote: »
    In terms of pre-ordering this. If you are going with either PS3 or Xbox360- is there one version that seems to have a slight edge?

I've heard things about the xbox and pc version being in development longer, but Bethesda saying that doesn't really matter... Also about DLC for Pc and Xbox (but I'm guessing this will come to ps3?).

But I haven't read anything in previews that state one or the other looks more polished, plays better, etc.

Not sure but I think just 360 and PC will have DLC, and 360 version will have achievements.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nalouto wrote: »
    I'll be here in the corner waiting for the game to come out.

why does this game have to release itself in the first month back at school? =(

You should move to the states and take a class with me. I wrote the syllabi for the classes I'm teaching around the release of this game. This will, of course, backfire horribly if the game is pushed back.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Gamecrazy apparently has a new preorder bonus.

"Pre-order Fallout 3 and receive a free Vault Boy Keychain. Offer good while supplies last."

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

You'll probably have to wait longer for the DLC to be collected I'm guessing.

august on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    august wrote: »

You'll probably have to wait longer for the DLC to be collected I'm guessing.

See: Team Fortress 2.

well, maybe not that bad, but not as instant as pc

freakish light on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks a bunch for those Fallout 1 links. Do we know if it works on Vista?

I'm currently waiting on gog.com to go up to play F1. By which time, Fallout 3 will probably be out.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Gorilla Salad's been playing on Vista, and if gog lives up to its promises then all those games will be 100% vista compatible.

Also, gog launches in September and Fallout in October or November.

freakish light on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am super psyched for this game.

Super psyched.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    thanks for the input freakish, skut, and august. I'll probably end up going console due to my PC not being top notch.

Egos on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The thread title reminds me...

I sometimes go eat at a restaurant called NORMS. Not "Norm's," it's all one big word with no apostrophe. When I park there, there's a sign saying

"Parking for NORMS only"

I always, always wonder where the mutants are supposed to park.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bursar wrote: »
    The thread title reminds me...

I sometimes go eat at a restaurant called NORMS. Not "Norm's," it's all one big word with no apostrophe. When I park there, there's a sign saying

"Parking for NORMS only"

I always, always wonder where the mutants are supposed to park.

Heh. Reminds me of a restaurant where I used to live that had a sign calling the place "Norm and Jean's" but the menus stated that the place was "Norma and Jean's". Always confused me.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    I am super psyched for this game.

Super psyched.

Mandatory signed.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As someone who is currently playing Fallout 2 for the very first time I can only say fuck golden geckos

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Macera wrote: »
    As someone who is currently playing Fallout 2 for the very first time I can only say fuck golden geckos

Fire are worse, crit hit through armor. Those are bottom of the map "holy shit u gone get raped" mobs though.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fire Geckos are why you keep a minigun around, and hope your power armor doesn't melt too fast.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Like you really need a reason to keep a minigun around.

And I've been watching more Fallout previews and such. Holy sweet hell does this game look good. I have a warm fuzzy place in my heart for it if it lives up to the hype.

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I do hope we can get some Enclave armor, that stuff looks win.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Fire Geckos are why you keep Sulik up front.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Golden Geckos are part of the reason people complain about Fallout having "slow" combat. Everything in Fallout 2 has a million hp, but mainly those damn geckos. It takes years to kill them.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yep, this is still my most anticipated game this year.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Have they released system reqs yet? I think I should be good, since my old computer could run Oblivion, and my new one is at least somewhat better, but it'd be nice to know.

Also, looking at the images around the PA comic on the Fallout site make me feel that at the very least the web folks at Bethesda know the Fallout atmosphere. Pipboy leading smiley pastel people into the vaults. Yes please.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No system reqs yet.

august on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I've just started replaying the first game and it holds up incredibly well. It's also really, really fun. I don't know how much this new game is going to relate to the first two, but you should play them both anyway.

OH GOD YES!
    I just bought the 3 game disc; Fallout, Fallout 2 and Tactics. I played the first one for a couple hours and then decided these talented folks deserve my monies so I bought the game for myself.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They all hold up pretty well. And if 640x480 is annoying (it is kind of annoying to me, no longer used to low resolutions), there are apparently mods to improve it.

Graphically, the sprites and backgrounds are well made and detailed. There's loads of stuff to do, and fuck the haters, because combat is damn fun.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    goddamnit!

my "ironman" no reload run is over, way too ****ing soon.

fallout1 spoilers
    THANK YOU IAN YOU ****.

goddamn, i gave the ****er a smg and we went to kick gizmo out of junktown and i like completely forgot npcs are burst happy ****ers and i was standing in front of ian and i sniped out izo and then ian comes along and BOOM, im splatted in one ****ing shot.

goddamn. was so pissed off i decided to ignore it and call it a aibugout and carried on, i then did a **** load of stuff like getting tycho, dogmeat ect ect, and went to the hub, and ran into this guy who's home got taken over, and i decided to go help him out and those ****ing raiders. that bastard killed dogmeat i managed to take him out but then another dude blasted me away.. so decide to end this ironman run properly there. goddamn.

i need to think about my character next time, going to start from scratch tomorrow i think, i need to think about what quests to do and what fights to get into based on my abilities at the time, since i wont be abusing the quicksave feature like i usually do in rpgs like this.. now i got a feel for the game again (and reminded not to give npcs smg's) i can start a proper no reload ironman run.

tell you what tho.. loosing npcs in battle like that with no reloading is quite ****ing awesome feeling, im usualy like "ah damnit, reload!" and now its "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! DOGMEAT!! YOU ****ERS WILL PAY!"

truly i may start doing a few more ironman runs on rpgs, adds a ton of excitement to it, the key is to only save when you exit the game to reduce the temptation of going "ohh.. lets ignore that and go back a few saves".

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wasn't following this until after the results, but I've got to say that some of these entries are great. Crazy Eye should have won.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/falloutcontest.html

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png