As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

holy fuck a BAT in my home

HamjuHamju Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Social Entropy++
So I was sitting on the couch, happily playing guitar hero in my apartment tonight when all of a sudden, my wife shrieks and yells, "THERE'S SOMETHING FLYING AROUND!" Out of the corner of my eye I see some flapping and my first thought is "large moth". However, the moth ended up being a huge monstrosity that flew around in circles in my living room while my wife screamed like, well, a little girl.

Me, being the manly man that I am, cower behind my guitar hero controller taking little pansy swings at it as it passes over my head. I yell to my wife, "stay low! go open the front door and open it and maybe it'll fly out!" She does this and while she's over there, takes shelter in the bathroom, not to be seen from again until things calm down.

Well, now I figure I've had enough of this flying menace's bullshit and stand up and start taking serious swings at this thing. All the while in the background on the TV all I hear is "CLINK CLANK CLANK CLINK DUNK" seeing as I haven't actually turned off Guitar Hero and I'm issuing a whole bunch of commands seeing as I am holding the controller like a mighty battle axe. Every once in a while I nick the unidentified flying creature, but do no damage and the fucking thing REFUSES to fly into the hallway. It always gets close to the door and decides to turn around and fly right back at me.

Well, it doesn't take long before I take a swing and SMACK I fucking SMOKED that bastard. He flies into my kitchen and lands on the floor, stunned. I do a quick victory dance and yell something like "HA TAKE THAT YOU STUPID LITTLE SHIT!" and run to get a pot. Now I can clearly see that it is in fact, a bat. I grab a small pot and try to scoop it up into it, assuming it was unconscious. Well, it wasn't and it freaks out, squeals at me and starts flailing. I trap it under another, larger pot, but can't get anything underneath it. When I try it escapes the pot and flies to my kitchen window. I seemingly disappears and I spend about half an hour looking for it before I find it behind my basil plant.

Right now the window is closed and the bat is between the screen and the window, but the screen is propped open enough that it can get out, if it will just move from its goddamn corner. I'm going to wait overnight and hope it leaves on its own.

tl;dr a bat got in my house, I smoked it with a guitar hero controller and now it's subdued, but still around

So, what tales of battles with flying rodents do you have?

kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
Hamju on

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    109633231_3c478c15e1.jpg

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    do you own a copy of sonic the hedgehog

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think you know who you need to call
    dwight.jpg

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    do you own a copy of sonic the hedgehog

chararougenm2.gif

:?:

Just bag the bat and toss it out.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    just saying that I hear bats like sonics

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    it's a sign

you must become a bat

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    didn't this thread just come up last week

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    chararougenm2.gif

It's mind-boggling how a character like this got into the sonic series.

basicly everything you ever did sent her tits flying around everywhere

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    a BAT?

gijoewave080503.jpg

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    it's a sign

you must become a bat

No thanks. An episode of BBC's Planet Earth is about caves and talks about this one cave with a 100m high pile of bat shit that supports and entire eco-system. Sometimes the bats fall in their own poop and are trapped. They then get eaten by roaches.

Hamju on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Sonar? Oh, like a-"

"That's right Mr. Wayne, like a submarine."

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you can, put some sort of cover between the bat/window/plant and the rest of your house. Then it'll have to fly through the window to escape.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    didn't this thread just come up last week

I believe so.

And before that there was a thread about an article about a bat that was in a woman's bra.

And there was obviously the whole Dark Knight saga which entailed 13,576 threads about bats.

I'm noticing a trend for bats. Bats are obviously planning to take over the world, one internet forum at a time.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ALSO MY USER NAME HAS BAT IN IT.

WHOAH WHAT THE FUCK I'M TRIPPING OUT MAN

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think it's gone now having flown out of the screen that I opened a little. However, something to add to the story: while I was knocking the bat out with the controller apparently while hitting the keys I made a new band called AAAAFG

Hamju on
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    you're not very smart, are you

a bat flew into your home and you decided to try and hit it with your plastic guitar, instead of being a sensible person and throwing a towel over it so you could get it outside

come on what the fuck

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To be fair, I'm fairly certain that rational thought is one of the first things to go when a bat flies into your house; replaced quickly by OH SHIT FUCK WHAT THERE'S A BAT IN MY FACE.

I mean, I'm not speaking from personal experience here, but I did have a run in with a large owl in my youth. I imagine the two situations would be somewhat similar.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Bingo. Rational thoughts are pretty much impossible when you've got a bat flying around in your home while your wife shrieks wildly to "get it get it get it aaaaaaahh!"

Hamju on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A bat flew into my house once through an open window and landed on the floor and looked up at me, confused and squeaked.

Then my dog ran up and ate it in one gulp.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    it is just a bat ain't nothin to be afraid of

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

just wait till an unwanted bat comes into your home.

then we'll see just how unafraid you really are.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It wasnt scary. It was kinda cute.

Then it was dead.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    bats are pretty cute overall, really

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    One time as a teenager I fell asleep on my couch in the living room.

I woke up at like 2am with a snowy TV screen and a fucking bat doing laps about a foot over my head.

This was my first experience with a bat, so naturally my reaction was calmly starting calling for my grandma (lived with my grandma), increasing the volume of my voice as my terror rose.

She very calmly came out of her room armed with only a shoebox, watched it fly around a couple times, then jumped in and caught that sombitch right in that there shoebox.

She has had many run-ins with foul night beasts in her time on this planet

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I've had a bat in my home before

we opened the door and shooed it out

nobody screamed, nobody hit it

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited August 2008
    A bat flew into my house once through an open window and landed on the floor and looked up at me, confused and squeaked.

fantastic

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the problem with bats isn't their appearance, it's that you don't hear them coming and they only really move around at night so when you do see them it is a complete surprise

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    bats are pretty cute overall, really

I'm always surprised at how small they really are. Once it was sitting quietly in the corner of the windowsill I got a good look at it and its tiny fury body. However, I don't find their wrinkly faces cute.

Hamju on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I used to live in a tropical country, near a jungle. At dusk, we'd get this huge cloud of bats streaming overhead, screeching and definitely unlike bird flocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r3DrOxeHgg&feature=related

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    bat.jpg

Awww

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    When I had the owl in my house, everybody was freaking out and screaming/yelling all manly like; then the owl flew head first into the kitchen window and fell onto the floor with a meaty thud. At which point my mother and sister, who had until then been screaching the loudest, made "awww" and "oh the poor thing" noises over the unfortunate bird, and told us all off for yelling and scaring it. We took it outside, where it shook itself off, tried to eat one of my dad's fingers and flew away.

My point is that nocturnal flying animals aren't scary, but the mass hysteria they generate when they visit unexpectedly is never pleasant. Also, there's the surprise of having a bat or what-have-you in your house when, seconds ago, there wasn't one. That sort of thing can cramp anyone's style.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Only sort of related, but when i was like...11? I was walking down the streets with some friends, when we hear this dull THUD from behind us.

We turn around and there's a black squirrel laying motionless in the street. Apparently he lost his grip on a tree or electric wire or something and took a spill.

So one of our stupider friends walks over and checks it out. It's still breathing, not bleeding or anything, so he picks it up and starts to carry it.

After a few seconds it wakes up, absolutely tears his chest and arms to shit, then darts off into the bushes. That was a pretty awesome day.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Later, your friend got rabies, right?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Later, your friend got rabies, right?
    I can only assume so.

We didn't really like him so I'm not sure if we hung out with him again after that.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Tell that to the people in Venezuela

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm a bat man! dee doop da deedee doo, bee bopba bada boo.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Just the sheer almost-non-sequitur-ness of that second sentence is making me laugh myself silly

Ledneh on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    nooo why would you hit a bat

aww poor bat

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think this was later. I was watering the plants when seagull landed in our front yard and started wandering about, pecking at the ground, then it turned to stare at me.

That dog appeared out of nowhere and bit the seagull's upper body off.

I swear we kept him well fed.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Remind me to stay the fuck away from your dog, Synthetic Orange. I'm noticing it has a prediliction for rending things' heads from their bodies

Nechriah on