Options

Family Politics

ScooterScooter Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
There's been a lot of parent stories in the AmPres thread, but since it moves at a rate of about 80 pages a day, I'm curious to hear stories in its own discussion.

How are your politics different than your family's, and why?

Personally, my dad is a conservative out of self interest, which I can kind of understand. He's a consultant for mostly oil companies, and while I don't know exactly what he earns, we're at least upper middle class. As a result I think he buys into other Pub talking points like a package deal; he mocks the concept of global warming and opposes stem cell research, for example (he's a well-educated engineer, btw). He's also a fan of talk radio.

As for me, while I resist attaching myself to a party, I've always been liberal. While our family is 'secular' basically, I'm outright atheist/agnostic, so the fundie control of the GOP has always scared me. My work history is a series of shitty/insecure jobs, and having worked retail (which my dad's never done) I know exactly how expendable corporations can view their frontline workers. And generally, I'm glad for the social services the government can provide to the poorly-off.

Generally we avoid talking politics in my family.

Also, my sister (who's the kind of person who when asked "Where's Paris?" responds "It's that country near London, right?") has apparently started soaking up Libertarian, or at least economically conservative, viewpoints from somewhere. She's friended Ron Paul on facebook! D:

How's it for you guys? Do we have any conservatives here from liberal families?

Scooter on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My family is full of a bunch of republicans. All they talk about is how Bush is the greatest president we've ever had. I hate them.

My brother in law is a democrat, he thinks Bush is the worst president we had and we should impeach him. I hate him too.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My dad is a fairly liberal guy, and viciously atheistic, but he's also over sixty and old-fashioned at the same time.

We had a long argument about the fact that he thought piercings and tattoos were unilaterally stupid and ridiculous, followed by him saying that polyamory is a totally valid and understandable lifestyle choice, and that most drugs should be legalized and taxed.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My mom is a right-wing evangelical, and we don't talk politics very much even though we go to the same church where right-wing evangelical topics come up frequently in sermons (it's not as bad as it could be though, our pastor seems to understand that folks on the left are working from good faith and have some good ideas on helping the poor and such).

My dad is a lifelong conservative whose political development was affected very deeply by the Vietnam War even though he didn't fight in it. He sees the Iraq War as a repeat of history's mistakes, enough so that he abstained for voting for president in 2004 rather than voting for GW. We talk about politics fairly often, and I think there's a good chance I'll be able to convince him to vote Obama.

I also have a cousin who is a rabid O'Reilly watching, Coulter reading right wing crazy; despite this he is one of my closest friends and we can comfortably talk about politics without making each other angry.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My parents (divorced) are Democrats. I asked them all to make sure they're voting Obama. It just dawned on me the other day that my extended family on my mother's side might be Republicans, since they all live in rural areas and seem pretty culturally conservitive. I avoid them and rarely talk to them though, so I don't know. I'm pretty confident my extended family on my Dad's side are all Democrats, as well as my step-mother's family.

Cauld on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Most of my extended family are born & bred, church on Sunday Catholics. I rarely talk politics with anyone in my family, though I've gotten into theological debates with my parents when I left the church. I know my parents are anti-gay marraige, (they refuse to acknowledge the existence of my sister's girlfriend) but they aren't very vocal on controversial subjects. The only mention of it that's come up is a brief exchange with my mom - we were talking about Obama and she said "I like him. He seems like a good, sincere guy."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2008
    both of my (divorced) parents are democrat. My dad is voting Obama and supported him through the primary. His wife supported Clinton, now supports Obama. My mom supported Obama from the start, and is now working in his campaign as a phone bank manager.

My extended family is as varied as is humanly possible, from a staunchly conservative uncle who got fed up with the current path and will vote Obama, another conservative uncle who is still riding the McCain train, a professor aunt (happens to be a lesbian) who is writing Clinton in on her ballot no matter what), and a bunch of very liberal, theater-type pro Obama younger cousins who will be exercising their first presidential vote in his name, parents supporting or not.

Meanwhile, I am a registered independent who leans liberal 99% of the time, who was backing Clinton and now goes for Obama. I more or less followed in my family's footsteps, except for the whole party identity thing.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have extremely similar views to both my mother and father on most issues. I just got this from her in my e-mail: (edited for names, and the two are my sister and her boyfriend)

Monroe,
    We just watched McCain's speech with Todd and Jessica. SO weird to
    find myself more liberal than these young ones.
    Jessica is being supportive of Todd, who is all "USA first" and shit.
    Very disappointing but I am trying not to alienate my potential son-
    in-law--gun-loving militaristic sweetheart that he is.
    Love,
    Mom
    PS But I still like McCain better than Palin!

I love my mom.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't know about my siblings, but my dad's one of the crazy liberal folks... sort of. It's anathema to him that anybody could ever think any differently or not be as 'open minded' as he is. He's also gotten increasingly militantly atheistic as he's aged. My mom's much more relaxed, but still pretty liberal and pretty much unilaterally hates all Republicans, she just doesn't take every available chance to pick fights with random people over it. It doesn't help that he's a really horrible debater either. Nothing quite like going to Red Robin with them to have my dad berate the poor waitress for saying that she didn't know who she was voting for yet. "I can't understand how anybody with a working brain would vote Republican." Yeah dad, great argument.

I just sort of smile and nod during the random tirades these days. The only politics I find even vaguely interesting are the ones of the batshit insane variety. Thank you, Ron Paul.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Not much to say for me. I'm from a black family whose members range from lower middle to middle class, with about 40% of us being college educated, so of course we're all Democrats. I'm not sure about my mom's side of the family, most of which are Mexican-American (or partly so). My wife's family is pretty much like my black family as well and are Democrats. Political discussions with my family ends up being an echo chamber. The only exception to that was the primaries, where my sister-in-law's family and my mother in law were pro-Hillary.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    All of my family are Christian or Catholic, but outside my aunt and her family and a brief ultra religious stage from my mom, nobody is Republican and actually are pretty liberal.
    The only way my views differ are on abortion (I don't think anyone in my family is for it). Thankfully nobody in my family thinks anybody is God's chosen candidate or hates gay people or anything, as that seems to be the norm in all of my other religious friends families.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Options
    acronomiconacronomicon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My parents were both very liberal, to the point of being blind to the bad things Democrats do. My grandmother, who for as long as I know had a blind eye on the bad things Republicans do, surprised me recently by saying she was likely to vote for Obama now that her pick (Romney) was out of the race.

I'd say I tend toward being more economically conservative, which means neither party really appeals to me. I'm disgusted by the behavior that I see in both parties, and think term limits on all positions would lend itself to getting rid of a lot of politicians that are acting solely in their best interest to remain electable.

I will say I'm more socially liberal. Whatever consenting adults do is their own business, and it shouldn't be regulated one way or the other (assuming that nobody is actually harmed). Making the process of buying Sudafed more onerous for me because some asshat might misuse it seems sort of backwards. I'm a pretty big fan of the whole Bill of Rights thing, and both parties seem to be against bits and pieces of it.

acronomicon on
    32340.jpg
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My parents are conservative Catholic Democrats (economic populists). They voted Clinton in the primaries, think Obama is a muslim, are pretty racist at times, dislike illegal immigrants (they are legal immigrants), and are really uncomfortable with homosexuality. Ever since I told them that my best friend was a lesbian they've either threatened to disown me if I turned out similarly, or dismissed it as "just a phase". My sister is a staunch Obama supporter and thought Hillary was acting like a bitch. My brother doesn't care about politics but is voting Obama because I told him about Obama's positions on nuclear energy and net neutrality.

My Aunt and Uncle are liberal Democrats and economic populists. They supported Edwards and are hilariously the only Democrats in their neighborhood. They hate Bush with a passion.

I have a few relatives in California who are new age crystal wearing psychos and members of PETA. I have, on more than one occasion, offended them to the point of tears.

I consider myself independent and am a social liberal, a humanist feminist, a huge supporter of gay rights, an atheist, but still determining where I stand fiscally. I used to be fiscally conservative but have reconsidered in the face of reality and the empirical evidence against deregulation. I've been a supporter of Barack Obama ever since I saw his speech at the 2004 DNC (knew nothing of his policies, only that he left quite an impression) and was ecstatic when he declared, changing my party affiliation to Democrat just for the chance to vote for him.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've always been the most political of my family and friends, although that's been changing in recent years. I've been growing tired of having to make choices based on bad policies from every party and this election in Canada is the worst yet.

My dad, however, has been growing more and more vocal and is frightfully ill informed. A friend of his is a brutal racist and fundamentalist and my dad has gained the annoying habit of agreeing with whatever this friend says.

Anyway, we have discussions where my dad will never answer any of my questions straight on and I'm really considering never talking politics with him ever again. :P The rest of my family continues to be politically apathetic, so I don't debate with them at all.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My parents raised us Catholic, but it was a kind of soft, left-coast Catholicism wherein we went about it in the way that seemed sensible to us and didn't worry too much if that didn't gel with the edicts that came out of Rome. We were against abortion, of course, but birth control was A-OK and gay people were technically wrong but live and let live, etc. My Mom voted down-the-ticket Democrat. My Dad was a registered Republican, but his vote swung and he supported universal healthcare. Very little friction. It wasn't until I was about thirteen that I started researching a little more about Christianity in general and the Church in particular and realized I couldn't be a part of either one. I made a pretty big, self-important deal about refusing to go, and the tension over both religion and politics has been there ever since. We've gotten more polarized.

I remember the OJ trial did something strange to my Dad. I'd never known him to be racist before that, but after it he started talking a lot about the failures of the black culture, their stubborn, apparently intentional refusal to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and behave like civilized members of society, and so on. He wrote letters to our local paper about this, and made obscene gestures at the evening news. Thankfully he didn't have the internet.

More recently he officially converted to Catholicism, and became twenty times more religious. He also listens to a lot of right-wing radio. He doesn't look for political arguments with me but he always plays a kind of cheerleader for western civilization and culture, and if you push him he speaks frankly of a contempt for non-european religions, cultures, political ideas, etc. My Mom has started voting Republican out of religious duty over the abortion issue, despite the fact that she hates virtually everything else about their platform, especially when it comes to social programs and healthcare.

My extended family is all from the South, and I'd guess they're conservative, but I don't really know them well.

darthmix on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My direct family is solidly Independent. We're too convinced of our own superior intellect to throw our hat in with something as dirty as a party machine. I was always taught to distrust a group, think for myself, check facts independently, and to make my own judgments. Hell, my dad used to play pranks on me and my sister when we were 4-5, just to make sure we never got complacent and started taking him at face value just because he was our dad.

My mom voted for Ross Perot, both voted Dole, both voted Kerry, and both are voting Obama. They would have voted Biden, so they're excited to get him now.

My extended family is full of ostensibly self-interested conservatives who don't understand they aren't actually rich. Except for my cousins, who are for the most part incredibly well-educated liberals.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mom is a proud Democrat and is pretty liberal public policy wise (she's a teacher in a pretty impoverished area) -- otherwise she's conservative in an irritating religous sense.

My Dad has embraced every generic american ideal and motto since I can remember. He claims to be republican and believes that democrats want to tax the middle-classes. I don't really sweat him so much on his ideals because, for the most part, he's politically unconcious. Despite holding a B.A. and Master's from relatively big schools (Pac-10), he couldn't tell you who the VP is, the governor of his state, nor any political topic of importance to anyone in america outside of watching local evening news. He's always sort of been this way because it was part of his assimilation to the US, having immigrating here as a boy -- illegally from Mexico. Pretty much most of my family has embraced America in this fashion while acculturating and solidifying their middle-class lifestyles. I grew up with their quoting beer commercials during NFL games, showing off their new trade in for whatever Mustang or Nissan was popular, and their comsumption of every pop-cultural trend to a "T".

Why I'm posting this:

My realization that my father's claim to being republican to be only at face value -- I doubt he really votes -- indicative of the republican party's ability to project the most popular image of America. A homogenized image filled with self-congratulation and fantasy towards its political efficacy and impact on America.

Werdna on
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Other fun political thing about my Dad I just remembered: around 1999 or so my brother went through a drug phase, ran into some trouble with the police, etc. My father was absolutely convinced that he'd been driven to drugs primarily by Bill Clinton's admission that he'd (sort of?) smoked pot. That admission came out during the 1992 campaign, 7 years earlier. My brother has never paid attention to politics.

darthmix on
  • Options
    mad4drpeppermad4drpepper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My Dad is a Republican and my mom is a Democrat. Up until this year and thanks to this deployment, I myself am a Independent. I’m sure that with both sides of my family having both major parties covered has something to do with me being a Independent. While I lived with my dad, however, I was registered as a Republican and voted for the party every time. :|

mad4drpepper on
    Making the world taste better one can at a time. :winky:
  • Options
    WerewulfyWerewulfy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My extended family are almost entirely pro-Union southern democrats. They won't be voting this November. You get three no-guesses as to why.

I don't like my extended family.

Werewulfy on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I grew up in a hermetically sealed fundiebubble, so it was much to my parents' chagrin when I announced my support of Obama. Mom's response was, "Well, I'm just so concerned about his potential connection to the Muslim world."

dot dot dot

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    I grew up in a hermetically sealed fundiebubble, so it was much to my parents' chagrin when I announced my support of Obama. Mom's response was, "Well, I'm just so concerned about his potential connection to the Muslim world."

dot dot dot

what will our children say about us?

Werdna on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Werdna wrote: »

dot dot dot

Well I really hope my brain doesn't atrophy to the point of believing ridiculous rumors when I'm that age.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My parents are each the black sheep in a Republican family. My mother just recently (after voting for Democrats in each election for like twenty years consecutively) switched her party affiliation from Republican to Decline to State. We're not allowed to tell her parents, though. My dad voted for McGovern, Carter, John Anderson, Mondale, Dukakis, Clinton, Clinton, Kerry, and will vote for Obama. For some reason, though, he's been registered Republican his entire life. I don't get it.

Matrijs on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My parents are fairly liberal, but were raised in a different time. Both seem to kinda have the liberal guilt thing where they know how they feel about certain issues, frequently race, isn't really how they want to feel about it.

My dad is very into alternative energy and I frequently find myself arguing the more moderate side of issues like bio-fuel. Socially he's more conservative, though he makes an effort.

My mom is a pretty strong feminist, and was a supporter of Clinton. Last time we spoke about it, before Clinton had been defeated, she had misgivings about Obama. I very much doubt that she would not vote for him in the general, but I would be equally surprised to find she was doing much to support his campaign.

They were both raised as Catholics, and converted over to Society of Friends(Quakers) shortly before I was born. I don't believe they baptized either of my older brothers, and know they were not taught Catholicism.

I'm more progressive than either of them on most things.

My oldest brother is fairly conservative, and pretty much adores Charle Crist. Since he's started working in south florida as a Fish and Wildlife officer, he has become a bit prejudice. Not horribly so. He supported the Iraq war initially, but has since changed his opinion on the subject. He may vote McCain, but the Palin nonsense and general tone of the campaign may well put him off. He cares a good a lot about the environment, believes somewhat in human augmented global warming, and doesn't trust large businesses all that much. Nor sure what is current views on off-shore drilling, but it could well push him away from McCain, and Crist, particularly because he is smart enough to know how little of a difference it would make at the pump or in the middle east.

On social issues he's fairly pragmatic and does not believe it's the government's place to tell what to do with or to their bodies. Pro-choice, pro-gay rights, pro-legalized recreational drugs(with Draconian laws for DUI), pro-gun(ok with waiting periods, in favor of background checks and registry).

My other brother, the middle, is fairly ignorant, but will probably vote democrat if bothers to vote at all. Pretty much because my parents did a good job of impressing upon us that Republicans are bad. His views on most issues tend to be dictated by whatever bumpersticker he last saw or what the talking head was saying on his way between UFC and Speed Channel. He'll be a NASCAR dad, eventually.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Werdna wrote: »

dot dot dot

Well I really hope my brain doesn't atrophy to the point of believing ridiculous rumors when I'm that age.
    You know we'll think that that gene splicing stuff is rotting their genome and will go on about how back in our day VR meant actually running around and doing stuff in a virtual environment. None of this brain uploading bull pocky.

Quid on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm a moderate Conservative, fiscally conservative and socially moderate (altough non religious) to be more precise.

My Father used to be a Québec separatist but his conviction grew weaker and weaker with age and now he just dont believe in it anymore. Besides that he's a capitalist. He said he would vote for Obama if he was american.

My Mother is pretty apolotical tough if I had to guess, I'd say she leans liberal.

On my mother side they are pretty much all liberals, altough one of my cousins is NDP and another one is Conservative. No one is really extreme in their believes tough.

On my father side they are all staunch separatists.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    From a British perspective: my father is a Conservative, and is in fact standing in local elections to become a councillor. He's not blind to their failings, and isn't a Thatcherite by any means, although he does rather like David Cameron. My mother votes Tory, but isn't really a strong supporter; generally she doesn't really discuss parties but people, and is more than willing to call out failures she sees in any of the parties.

My elder brother votes Green consistently, while my younger brother goes to the local Conservative club and is highly zealous. My younger sister is too young to have any political views whatsoever.

As for myself? Old Labour, of the Tony Benn persuasion. Can't stand what New Labour have done with the party.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Vulpine wrote: »
    From a British perspective: my father is a Conservative, and is in fact standing in local elections to become a councillor. He's not blind to their failings, and isn't a Thatcherite by any means, although he does rather like David Cameron. My mother votes Tory, but isn't really a strong supporter; generally she doesn't really discuss parties but people, and is more than willing to call out failures she sees in any of the parties.

My elder brother votes Green consistently, while my younger brother goes to the local Conservative club and is highly zealous. My younger sister is too young to have any political views whatsoever.

As for myself? Old Labour, of the Tony Benn persuasion. Can't stand what New Labour have done with the party.

I'm just going to assume that by US standards I can replace all those party names with "pinko liberals".

Scooter on
  • Options
    TheStrangerTheStranger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My mother falls pretty far on the left side, and is somewhat 'militant' about it (she's encouraged in this by her sister... who is far more militant).

My father falls to the right, though how far is somewhat hard to tell (he tends to be fairly sarcastic).

For my brothers... one follows me in the social liberal fiscal conservative libertarian line (following our father) one falls to the left and one is hard to judge (but seems to follow the majority in many ways).

Needless to say there are "off limits" topics... and we all have to be careful when it comes to saying anything to 'right leaning' around Mom.

TheStranger on
    "Those who live by the sword die by the sword.
    Those who cower from tyrants deserve their chains."
    -unknown
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I'm just going to assume that by US standards I can replace all those party names with "pinko liberals".

Conservatives (Tories) are traditionally right-of centre, Labour left, but both parties have been moving to the centre significantly. "New Labour" refers to the party since Tony Blair, which represented the most significant shift away from the party's traditional socialist policies (most importantly, they dropped their commitment to nationalisation of public services). Smaller than those two, but with significant parliamentary representation, are the Liberal Democrats who are firmly to the middle.

By US standards, however, you'd be right in saying they're all further to the left than the Republicans.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

<3<3<3<3

Clause 4. I so miss it.
    Scooter wrote: »

Doesn't even come close!

So: my birth dad was a dyed in the wool socialist - I asked my mum after he died (I was 13), she said he voted for "the man with the pipe" (Harold Wilson - Labour Prime Minister). My mum is a Daily Mail reading, believing Tory. My step dad thinks they're all rubbish, but would vote Tory Why, I have no idea. They are both retired, on State pensions, and have very little spare money.

I'm a card carrying member of the Labour Party, as is LP's daddy, and count several Councillors and MPs/Ministers as friends. I'm left of centre, love Tony Benn, heard him speak at Glasto this year. That man is awesome.

Oh, and the whole of LP's daddy's family are right wing Tory - we NEVER discuss politics - although his sister has been very proud of us when we've stood in local elections - unwinnable seats, but we have to provide the voters with a choice. Maybe in 2010 he'll have a winnable seat, and win.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My parents are registered Republicans, but they weren't always this way. My dad's from Pennsylvania and comes from a family of Democrats. He voted for Carter at least once. I'm pretty sure he voted for Mondale too. Something happened in the 80s, though. He ended up quitting his job and we moved to Arizona (from Illinois) because of affirmative action-related. I don't know the details, but basically someone was promoted, my dad had to help the promotee and was disgusted at how little the guy knew about his own job. Ever since then, he'll go into an absolute rage when he sees Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton on TV. He'll go off on a racist rant every now and then when he's had a few to drink.

He actually did vote for Clinton twice, but at some point he changed his affiliation to Republican and voted for Bush. And then voted for him again 4 years ago. I'd characterize him as fiscally conservative, and mostly indifferent about social issues.

His mother is, as I said, a lifelong Democrat, and will usually vote straight Democrat. Apparently that's not happening this year. She's apparently blatantly racist these days. My dad's brother and two sisters are apparently also Democrats, but I don't know where they stand on this year's race. One of my cousins on that side is a Republican and is apparently looking to run for president one day. It'd be interesting, if only to see people try to pronounce our last name.

My mom moved to the US from the Netherlands when she was 9. She didn't go to college and met my dad at work. I'm pretty sure she mostly follows along with my dad on most things. She's definitely more socially conservative, though. She's anti-abortion, but doesn't have any problems with homosexuality. A little bit of racism comes out every now and then.

My brother and I are definitely more on the liberal side. I'm not sure if he's party affiliated, but I am not. I don't talk politics with my parents. I don't think my dad is reasonable at all, so I think it would be pointless to discuss anything with him. Whenever I get home from work, they're listening to stuff like Hannity, Michael Savage, and one particularly annoying fellow named Mark Levin. Yet my dad will also listen to NPR, so it's not always bad when the radio is on.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My father is a project manager for IBM and makes shitloads of money. He is also a greedy asshole who laps up the bullshit Fox news and Bill ORLY spew forth. As such he is a hardcore Republican who votes based on 1 issue and 1 issue alone.

$

His world view would be aptly summed up with "I got mine, fuck em".

The rest of my family is much more level, ranging from pretty liberal to independent. And when I say independent I don't mean the idiots who know nothing and decide in the voting booth, I mean the people who actually pick their candidate based on policy stances.

Me, I drank the Kool-Aid. Nothing would be better imo than to adopt the *gasp* socialist social programs for health care, education etc that those "elitist" (and much more happy) northern Europeans have.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    edited September 2008

<3<3<3<3

Clause 4. I so miss it.

Me too. I honestly think we lost something vital the day Smith died. Kinnock, we could tell, was going populist, but even he didn't go as far as gutting the party's entire position just to gain power.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I met John Smith before he was Leader - what a lovely man he was, his death was a massive loss to Britain. Kinnock was too wooly, Foot, although spot on politically, was a total vote loser, as, sadly would Tony Benn be. I worry about where we'll end up.
    R U in Manc?

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Alas not, although I've some good friends in the various universities. I'm in Bristol at the moment, which is rather nice.

What do you make of the current Labour infighting?

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My mother is a very conservative Christian, but also somewhat sane (for instance, she doesn't necessarily approve of gay relationships, but she also accepts that they are real and that you should treat those people as human beings).

My father is a conservative to a point, but not religious at all, and not happy with the Republican party at all.

I used to be a very conservative Christian (I wanted to be a minister when I grew up). Now I most easily define myself as Libertarian (though there are about 5,342,988 variations of the term).

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My parents aren't really affiliated with either party; they typically just vote for whoever will give them the lowest taxes. However, this time their hatred of Bush is leading them to vote for Obama, even though it'll mean higher taxes than with McCain (I don't know exactly how much money they make, but they're in one of the upper brackets). My sister and I are both Democrats, although I've rarely talked politics with her.

At the start of the Iraq invasion I made the unpleasant discovery that my family is kinda racist. My mother told me that Iraqis didn't really want Saddam gone, that living under the boot of a dictator was what made them happy, "just part of their culture." My sister flat out said that American lives were worth more than Iraqi lives. I don't recall any specific statements from my father, but I'm fairly sure he would've been happy if we just glassed the entire Middle East.

Cantide on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My father's side of the family (my mother's being almost completely dead) is entirely, and I do mean entirely very hard-core Southern Baptist. The really pushy kind of Southern Baptist. Most of them have generations of latent racism within them. They are all Republican. My father listens to Rush Limbaugh every day at work, watches Bill O'Reilly at night, and owns every book written (ghost or otherwise) by both of them. My family has a history of short fuses.

I am an atheist liberal Democrat.

It is impossible to have rational political discourse with anyone. Oh, it'll start out well, but once the racial slurs start flying, I just totally lose it and then it's over.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My immediate family mostly are liberals like me. My mom is liberal; my dad is a bit more traditional but hates Bush enough that he'd vote for anyone the Democrats dominated. We all collectively supported Obama over Clinton eventually, even though for a while mom sort of like the "first woman president" thing. My sister in law is about the same, but my brother is more a "fuck the establishment" type. He voted Nader in 2000 and was looking into Ron Paul in the primaries. I think we'll browbeat him into voting for Obama, though; not that it matters here in Illinois.

We don't discuss politics outside of the immediate family. Given that my mom's side are religious, very whitebread suburban types, and my dad's side are all fairly crazy people from rural Peoria, we assume it's for the best.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.