As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPhone - 2.1 firmware release!

KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
The iPhone

iphone_home.gif

So 2.1 firmware was released today to possibly help fix the widespread reception issues and bugs of the 3G (which I have had a bittersweet relationship with for the past month).

Sometimes it is a cool phone, sometimes it is a paperweight.

Right now Im "Restoring" my iPhone after a failed attempt to update the firmware. It bricked my phone a minute ago installing the update (said "unknown error occurred") and now Im restoring it, hoping I didnt lose all my contacts, data, apps, etc. edit: Restore has fixed my phone, but I have to resync my library to it. Oh well.

Anyone else using the new 2.1 firmware? Notice any difference yet?

Here is Arstechnica's initial report on the update. Seems positive.

Theft 4 Bread
KungFu on

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm using it, I haven't noticed a difference. People are talking about it being more responsive and not crashing but I just can't tell the difference in responsiveness and in the week I've had my phone I haven't had crashing issues.

Oh well, happy to do it anyhow, I hear it improves battery life (though the cynic in me can't help but wonder if that just means brightness/contrast are reduced.)

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Safari is still quite unstable for me, especially over edge.

Saar on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Any updates on the third-party program lockdown? I wasn't very thrilled with the 2.0 touch firmware "upgrade" since it meant I was paying not to be able to use MediaMonkey anymore.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just updated last night, haven't noticed much of a difference yet but I'm hopeful that Safari won't be such a buggy bitch anymore.

Usagi on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Any updates on the third-party program lockdown? I wasn't very thrilled with the 2.0 touch firmware "upgrade" since it meant I was paying not to be able to use MediaMonkey anymore.

Um, not sure what you're talking about. If you had a jailbroken device, 2.0 removed the jailbreak, but there is also an official app store for third party apps.

I have 2.1 on my iPod touch, and it's a hell of a lot better than 2.0.2. much more responsive, and I havne't had a single app crash since the update.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This post by a MediaMonkey developer talks about the 2.0 firmware lockout. This page is dedicated to cracking it. No success yet. This page talks about not being able to sync to 2.0 firmware with Ubuntu. So far, this firmware update seems to be succeeding in transforming an otherwise fine piece of hardware into something I would never buy.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I didn't have a problem with call dropping so I can't speak to that. But the interface is MUCH more responsive for me. Ever since I got this thing (I own 3G) the text message interface would be laggy about 70% of the time. By laggy I mean over a second delay between pressing a key and getting it to display. That delay's gone. I also had lag from firing up the Contacts to being able to actually scroll them. Gone. Not one of my apps has crashed since either.

No complaints yet.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Updated it today and so far I haven't seen the infuriating texting-keyboard lag. If that is gone for good then this update was totally worth it.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Scrublet wrote: »
    I didn't have a problem with call dropping so I can't speak to that. But the interface is MUCH more responsive for me. Ever since I got this thing (I own 3G) the text message interface would be laggy about 70% of the time. By laggy I mean over a second delay between pressing a key and getting it to display. That delay's gone. I also had lag from firing up the Contacts to being able to actually scroll them. Gone. Not one of my apps has crashed since either.

No complaints yet.

Oh God. Must update when I get home tonight. The occasional lag is my one bug-bear with the iPhone. The speed of apps loading and such on the advert has to date been a severe misrepresentation of the iPhone experience.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been getting something with 2.1 that I hadn't gotten with previous firmware versions. Audio skipping or stopping then starting. Also Safari seems crash happy a lot more now for some reason. Also, the audio skipping will happen most when i'm using safari.

Anyone else been getting these issues?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah I know when Safari is about to crash when the audio starts skipping for me.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was hoping the 2.1 update would fix my phone's mysterious 'No Service' mishap but it did not. I was lucky though since my phone was able to activate. I took the sim card out and now I basically have an ipod touch.

Shogun on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Im back after a couple days of use. It has not improved my reception in any noticable way. I still sometimes have 4 bars in my house and sometimes have huge breaks in my calls and then they drop. Sometimes I have to restart my phone to get a decent signal so I can talk to someone. (This happens only like 10% of the time, but when it does it is frustrating as hell).

I havent seen the texting keyboard lag anymore though.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread