As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Build Thread

• Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only issue I've had with 64 bit vista is getting 64 bit codecs for Media Center. CoreAVC and NVidia purevideo aren't available. FFDShow tryouts and Matroska Splitter get things working, but wouldn't be my preferred setup if I had the usual 32 bit options available.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, I really came in here to ask a RAM question that I was too embarrassed to start a thread about. I just upgraded my computer, which included bumping it up to 4 gigs of RAM. Dxdiag only shows 2814 MB. Am I right to assume this is a limit of 32 bit Vista?
    Yes, that sounds about right if you have a total of 1 gig on your video card(s).

The Core 2 Duo in the OP is a 64 bit chip? Huh. Ok. So I'm sure this is a dead horse issue, but what are, if any, the current problems in gaming with a 64 bit chip? I don't have a ton of older games but the ones I do have (everything blizzard, homeworld 1/2/cataclysm, disciples, tribes 1-3, FFXI) I don't want problems with.

EDIT: to clarify I don't really care if a game doesn't have any extra 64 bit benefits, if I'm running everything 32bit on a 64 bit chip and it works fine that's good enough for me. I'm just worried about specific 64bit incompatibilities.

There are no issues running 32bit software on 32bit windows on a 64bit CPU (There might be issues running 32bit stuff on 64bit windows though).
    CPUs that people would buy for gaming has been 64bit the last 3-4 years with no issue for users. It's like an additional instruction set. If a program is not written to use it, the program will not notice it exists.

Ah, ok. Thanks. Yeah, it was the 64bit chip with 64bit OS I was referring to. I mean, unless there are serious problems why get a 32bit os witha 64 bit chip?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a screwless case?
    No screwless case fans here, I guess?

Only ones I've seen up close are the alienware cases, but I doubt you can buy just a case from them.

So, I really came in here to ask a RAM question that I was too embarrassed to start a thread about. I just upgraded my computer, which included bumping it up to 4 gigs of RAM. Dxdiag only shows 2814 MB. Am I right to assume this is a limit of 32 bit Vista?

even with 32-bit Vista it should probably show at least three gigs. Hm. What kind of graphics hardware are you using?

I've got an 8800 GTX. I think it's got a gig of memory on it already. So going by what Transparent and ArcticMonkey are saying, that could be a normal result? It's entirely possible I screwed something up in installing it.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    No. It's normal.

Upgrade to 64 bit if you want to make full use of your memory.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Any suggestions for a screwless case?
    No screwless case fans here, I guess?

I was actually looking at one the other day:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156078

There's a sale going on, 49.99 after a $30 MIR. Also "Additional 20% off w/ promo code "SAVE20CASE", ends 10/15"
    The Smilodon case from Raidmax makes assembling a system easier than ever before. It has a modular, tool-less design that makes the initial build and future upgrades easy. Both side panels latch into place for easy access. For the ultimate in convenience the right side panel has the motherboard tray completed with backplate attached. This lets you install the mobo and all your cards, then lock it into the case as a single unit.

Drive installation couldn’t be easier. The external bays all use Clicklock technology, just slide the drive into the bay and lock it into place. The hard drive rack is removable for easy installations and upgrades. All of the necessary drive rails come in a slide out box so you don’t lose them.

Had me seriously interested.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This may be a silly question, but is the power supply in the case in the OP really sufficient for regular gaming?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited October 2008
    There has been talk about changing it, I haven't taken the time to yet.

That power supply is sufficient for the build in the OP, but you'd want something different if you go high end on the video card or CPU.

Transparent on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This may be a silly question, but is the power supply in the case in the OP really sufficient for regular gaming?

Yes. Really.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So recent events (my laptop DIMM slot deciding it doesn't need to transmit all those silly bits) have caused me to look mournfully at the scrap pile that was a dell desktop I'd purchased a couple years ago that decided it didn't like working either. I'd toyed with the idea of raiding it for parts since I've always looked for an opportunity to learn how to build my own computer. I am woefully unaware of hardware trends though.

The desktop has the "Flashing Amber" light problem which is traced to the motherboard, PSU/case for the most part. I'm writing all those off and hoping to salvage something from it.

The stats of the deceased:
    Dell Dimension E510 Series Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 640 w/HT Technology (3.2GHz,800FSB)
    Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x256M)
    Video Card 256MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory X600SE
    Hard Drive 160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 8MB cache 160S
    CD or DVD Drive Single Drive: 48x CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive 48COMBO
    Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D), w/Dolby® Digital 5.1 XFI

I'd like to reuse the capture card, not being at home I can't tell if it's PCI or PCIe from here. I suspect PCIe. I also added in this (2x1gig of 533 RAM) as soon as it arrived and wouldn't mind salvaging it. I have a variety of hard drives kicking around so those really are not a concern either.

I'm primarily looking to use this as a file server/media center. I absolutely do not care about game performance. As far as PC gaming goes I lose interest in anything beyond Civ 4 and the above ran that just fine for my tastes.

Reading through this thread I'm almost tempted to just go with the budget media box in the OP and write off everything from this. Your thoughts and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2008
    hey guys

I'm looking at getting a laptop, how are these specs?

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9400 (2.53GHz

250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

512MB NIVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

2gig of ram

I need it for scoring software, some music recording and some gaming

Tube on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hey guys

I'm looking at getting a laptop, how are these specs?

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9400 (2.53GHz

250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

512MB NIVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

2gig of ram

I need it for scoring software, some music recording and some gaming

Some onboard souncards don't sound so hot while plugged in. The interference from proximity of the circuits doesn't help. I thought sound blaster used to make an external soundcard for laptops to get around that issue. You may be forced to go that route if the sound quality is unacceptable.

Otherwise, it looks solid enough for what you want. You may want 4gigs of ram but if your vista is only 32 bit, then 2gb is fine then.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Thanks. I'm not sure what Vista being 32 bit means, is that a bad thing? There is an optional upgrade to 4 gigs.

I can also go for a laptop that's slightly cheaper and has 4 gig, a bigger hard drive and a slightly slower processor, a 2.1 ghz AMD Turion. The graphics card is an NVIDIA GEFORCE 7150M

Tube on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The main difference you'll come across between 64 and 32-bit Vista is the amount of RAM it will be able to address. 32bit can only address up to 4GB of memory total, and as some of that amount is taken up by your graphics card memory and a couple of other things, you'll only be able to address about 3.25GB of your RAM. 64-bit Vista doesn't have this limitation.

Otherwise, you likely won't see other factors come into play, and can just stick with 32-bit Vista.

The first laptop you posted is much better. The Core 2 Duo line is generally considered superior to AMD's offerings, and the 7150M is really crappy.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I'm a little behind the times in building.

Need a new machine for the mother-in-law. The typical Internet/Word user, so nothing fancy needed.

How are those $200ish systems from Newegg or Tiger? Total garbage or OK for her usage? Thanks for the help.

RE: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3990192&CatId=3446

No cheap PC fans (haha!) around here?

I didn't buy my "No Tech Support" t-shirt soon enough, so now I've got to help her.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    The main difference you'll come across between 64 and 32-bit Vista is the amount of RAM it will be able to address. 32bit can only address up to 4GB of memory total, and as some of that amount is taken up by your graphics card memory and a couple of other things, you'll only be able to address about 3.25GB of your RAM. 64-bit Vista doesn't have this limitation.

Otherwise, you likely won't see other factors come into play, and can just stick with 32-bit Vista.

The first laptop you posted is much better. The Core 2 Duo line is generally considered superior to AMD's offerings, and the 7150M is really crappy.

Thanks! It turns out the vista is 64 bit. Is the processor likely to be a problem or should this computer last me a good couple of years?

Tube on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You'll be fine for a couple of years. It looks like the T9x00 is Intel's latest line of C2D mobile processors, and 2.53GHz with a 6MB cache is great for a laptop.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    The DoctorThe Doctor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

ASUS P5QL Pro

4Gb of ram

SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850

2 hard drives at least.

What would be a good power supply?

The Doctor on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For what you've got there I would say the antec trio unit, the 650 watt model

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What would be a good fan/heatsink for Intel Core 2 Duo E8400?

The Doctor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    For what you've got there I would say the antec trio unit, the 650 watt model
    That will work (it's what I have in my system, no problems for a year now), but for modern builds we've been recommending single rail power supplies such as this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Transparent on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A motherboard failure has left my old machine as basically just a box of bolts. My intent is to build most of a new machine and bring over the old video card, RAM and hard drive, which are relatively new and undamaged. This is what I'm considering; prices based on Newegg:

Silverstone Kublai Series KL01B-W case (134.99)
    Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750 watt power supply (129.99)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz (169.99)
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 cooling fan (36.99)
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 775 Intel motherboard (224.99)
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi 24bit sound card (90.99)
    2 Samsung Black 22x DVD+R drives (25.99 each)
    Logitech S-220 Speakers (19.99)

The card's an NVidia 8800GT. I have four sticks of Kingston 1-gig DDR2 SDRAM, and a 300gig hard drive.

Adds up to about $860 before shipping, which is within budget; looking locally for as many parts as I can to minimize the costs and wait time. Since I'm relatively new to assembling a computer, I'd appreciate help with a few basic questions.

1) Are hard drives fairly interchangeable? I don't know the manufacturer/model of the drive offhand, save that it's about two years old, so if they're not, is there an easy way to check? (I.E. on the drive itself; never noticed if it was) I've backed up most of the important data, but would still like to avoid reinstalling everything again if it's an option.

2) The motherboard is the only other component, besides the hard drive, that I've never really messed with. The case measures at about 19"x8"x18", the mobo at 12"x9.6"; given that it has to allow for disk drives, processor, fans, etc, is it safe to assume the board will fit? And is there anything special involved in installing a board to a case, anything that requires extra tools, cables, and such?

3) Assuming everything snaps and screws together like it should, what is involved in booting up an existing hard drive with mostly new hardware? I'm told I'll need to reinstall Windows, which isn't a problem, but is there anything I need to do with respect to the hard drive?

Other part recommendations would be appreciated if any of the above don't pass muster, or I'm paying too much for something.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    1) Are hard drives fairly interchangeable?
    The only thing you really have to worry about is SATA vs. PATA. Your motherboard will have 6 SATA slots and 1 PATA (which supports 2 devices), so you won't have to worry about hooking yours up, but buy SATA in the future. You can identify which type yours is by whether it uses a ribbon cable or not.
    2) The motherboard is the only other component, besides the hard drive, that I've never really messed with.
    Your mobo is ATX and the case supports ATX, you'll be fine.
    3) Assuming everything snaps and screws together like it should, what is involved in booting up an existing hard drive with mostly new hardware? I'm told I'll need to reinstall Windows, which isn't a problem, but is there anything I need to do with respect to the hard drive?
    You will want to reformat and reinstall.

As for parts, I think:
    a) You're overpaying for the motherboard.
    b) Is there any reason you are getting a sound card? Onboard sound is fine if you're not an audiophile.
    c) Cases with front doors get really annoying to use, I'd go for another case. However, that's personal opinion.
    What would be a good fan/heatsink for Intel Core 2 Duo E8400?
    For no overclocking, you can get away with stock.
    For some overclocking, Arctic Freezer 7 Pro.
    For really pushing it, look for something from Xigmatek or Thermalright.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    does anyone know if there's likely to be a problem with running an american laptop in england? will I just have to buy a new power supply?

Tube on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    does anyone know if there's likely to be a problem with running an american laptop in england? will I just have to buy a new power supply?

You shouldn't need a new power supply. Modern laptop power supplies automatically adjust to accommodate both 110V/60Hz (US power) and 240V/50Hz (UK power) and everything in between.

You'll need a plug adapter to fit the shape of your mains plug, though. Something like this will work. If you're planning to travel at all, you can usually find stuff like this in duty free shops in airports.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As for parts, I think:
    a) You're overpaying for the motherboard.
    b) Is there any reason you are getting a sound card? Onboard sound is fine if you're not an audiophile.
    c) Cases with front doors get really annoying to use, I'd go for another case. However, that's personal opinion.

A) Gotcha. I'll search around and see what other places offer.
    B) No reason. I'll knock that one off as long as the onboard works.
    C) Hmm, didn't think about that. Size is a minor constraint above 19x19 inches, so another mid tower seems most feasible. I'll take a look at a few others.

This stuff is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for the advice!

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Okay, i've just not been having any luck. The previous problem was a bad motherboard, so I picked up a new one tonight, and now my E8400 is clocking in at a whopping 2.40 ghz. -_- Jumped into the bios, set my FSB to 1333, it shows the correct speed, I reset, and it's right back to 2.40. Go into the bios again, and it's set back down to the default FSB setting leaving it at 2.40.

Core 2 Duo, E8400
    2 GB ram
    Gigabyte 945GCM-S2C
    ATI Radeon 4850

So very weary of all the silly problems I keep encountering. Any input? Again, greatly appreciate any help, and sorry if I'm a bit sparse with the details. Just tired :P Let me know if there is any more info I should throw out there.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Are you measuring it with CPU-Z or Windows?

Also, are you changing the voltage?

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The Doctor wrote: »
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

ASUS P5QL Pro

4Gb of ram

SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850

2 hard drives at least.

What would be a good power supply?

What version of Vista do i want for this?

The Doctor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Are you measuring it with CPU-Z or Windows?

Also, are you changing the voltage?

During post it's saying E8400@2.40Ghz (266x9), and in CPU-Z, this is what it's showing:

cpuz1.jpg
    cpuz2-1.jpg

And I haven't really messed with voltage, I've left the settings to auto.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You might have some form of SpeedStep enabled. Run Prime95 with CPU-Z open, do you see the speeds jump up?

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, so I'm done with my test, so now I can build my gaming rig. I started with the build in the OP and made a few adjustments:

Processor:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Motherboard:
    Foxconn P45A-S LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Hard Drive:
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Graphics Card:
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Ram:
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

I switched out the motherboard for one with dual PCI express x16 if I want to add another of the cards for the crossfire, added more ram, upped from the e7200 to e8400, and a larger hard drive. I'm also planning on running XP sp2 for a while, but adding vista later once it becomes necessary. Let me know if I'm making a silly choice here or something like that.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    Okay, i've just not been having any luck. The previous problem was a bad motherboard, so I picked up a new one tonight, and now my E8400 is clocking in at a whopping 2.40 ghz. -_- Jumped into the bios, set my FSB to 1333, it shows the correct speed, I reset, and it's right back to 2.40. Go into the bios again, and it's set back down to the default FSB setting leaving it at 2.40.

Core 2 Duo, E8400
    2 GB ram
    Gigabyte 945GCM-S2C
    ATI Radeon 4850

So very weary of all the silly problems I keep encountering. Any input? Again, greatly appreciate any help, and sorry if I'm a bit sparse with the details. Just tired :P Let me know if there is any more info I should throw out there.
    Just to cover all the bases, you're selecting the Save & Exit BIOS option, not hard-rebooting the comp, correct?

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You might have some form of SpeedStep enabled. Run Prime95 with CPU-Z open, do you see the speeds jump up?

As a matter of fact I do. It jumps up to 2997.0 mhz when I run a test with Prime95.

Oh, heh, and yeah, I definitely save and exit when I exit the bios.

Huh, I changed my bios again, exact same way I did last night, and it's showing 3.0 ghz at post now, and 1997 mhz in CPU-Z. Once I run Prime95 it jumps up to 2997 mhz now. Sooo, am I okay at this point? O_o

Aoi on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

As a matter of fact I do. It jumps up to 2997.0 mhz when I run a test with Prime95.

Huh, I changed my bios again, exact same way I did last night, and it's showing 3.0 ghz at post now, and 1997 mhz in CPU-Z. Once I run Prime95 it jumps up to 2997 mhz now. Sooo, am I okay at this point? O_o

Yes, the CPU clock multiplier drops down to 6 when there is nothing to do. This is a good thing since lower speed equals less heat.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Yes, the CPU clock multiplier drops down to 6 when there is nothing to do. This is a good thing since lower speed equals less heat.

Wunnerful. Not sure what was going on originally, but thanks for the input. :)

Aoi on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    im shopping around for power supplies and i keep on seeing "sli ready" all over some models. does that really matter in any sense anymore, is "sli ready" worth it?

also i see massive 1000W power supplies, why in Gods green earth would i need one of those?

along those lines, is 650W enough in todays day and age for a high end graphics card and a quad core intel chip + everything else?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    does anyone know if there's likely to be a problem with running an American laptop in england? will I just have to buy a new power supply?

I don't know about England's outlets, but i was just in France and Italy for a month with my "American" laptop, and everyone i was with had an American laptop. I don't think anyone had any power issues or anything like that but we all just had adapters. Some had larger ones than others but generally we got along with what was the smallest to take around. But if you are stationary the larger models with some additional protections wouldnt hurt.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, I was gonna start a new thread, but then I saw this, so I'll post here.

My computer just died. Like, dead, dead, dead. I was buying a new one soon anyway, so I guess soon has simply become NOW.

Anyway, I have no fucking idea what to look for. I don't keep abreast of technology stuff usually and I built my last computer in 2002. So, I could really use some advice here.

- I don't mind dropping a good chunk of cash on this. I usually buy something just below the "Blots out the sun with how awesome it is, but will cost you your first born" level. I don't mind splurgging on a good video card or the like, but I'm not looking to drop $3K on this system.

- Generally, I pick Video Card => Processor => RAM => Motherboard => the rest. (This still the way to go about it?)

- Also, I'm a Canuck. If anyone knows a good place in the Toronto area to buy from, I would really appreciate it.

- Quiet, if possible, would be nice. :)

1) Video Card: What should I be looking at? I heard some stuff about the Ati 4870 x2. Is it worth it? Are their issues? 1 Gig or 512mb? And what's a good manufacturer/Specific card?

2) Quad Core or Dual Core? I haven't the faintest clue on this, so any help would be nice. I've heard Intel is the best one right now, but that may be old info.

3) RAM, what type and what speed? Considering the price and so on, I was gonna get 4 Gigs. (In 2 2Gig sticks is best, right?)

4) Motherboard: No fucking clue here. Recommend away.

5) Appropriate Power Supply? And a good hard drive recommendation too.

6) Case. I had one of those quiet Antec ones, which I quite liked. Any recommendations on a good case?

Thanks for all the help!

Also, if you know anywhere else to go look stuff up or ask for advice, I'm open to suggestions.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    this must be the age of the computer death, the death of all those things everyone on here built to play half life 2

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    Ok, I was gonna start a new thread, but then I saw this, so I'll post here.

My computer just died. Like, dead, dead, dead. I was buying a new one soon anyway, so I guess soon has simply become NOW.

Anyway, I have no fucking idea what to look for. I don't keep abreast of technology stuff usually and I built my last computer in 2002. So, I could really use some advice here.

- I don't mind dropping a good chunk of cash on this. I usually buy something just below the "Blots out the sun with how awesome it is, but will cost you your first born" level. I don't mind splurgging on a good video card or the like, but I'm not looking to drop $3K on this system.

- Generally, I pick Video Card => Processor => RAM => Motherboard => the rest. (This still the way to go about it?)

- Also, I'm a Canuck. If anyone knows a good place in the Toronto area to buy from, I would really appreciate it.

- Quiet, if possible, would be nice. :)

1) Video Card: What should I be looking at? I heard some stuff about the Ati 4870 x2. Is it worth it? Are their issues? 1 Gig or 512mb? And what's a good manufacturer/Specific card?

2) Quad Core or Dual Core? I haven't the faintest clue on this, so any help would be nice. I've heard Intel is the best one right now, but that may be old info.

3) RAM, what type and what speed? Considering the price and so on, I was gonna get 4 Gigs. (In 2 2Gig sticks is best, right?)

4) Motherboard: No fucking clue here. Recommend away.

5) Appropriate Power Supply? And a good hard drive recommendation too.

6) Case. I had one of those quiet Antec ones, which I quite liked. Any recommendations on a good case?

Thanks for all the help!

Also, if you know anywhere else to go look stuff up or ask for advice, I'm open to suggestions.

I second all of these questions but i also want to know just what the fuck is up with power supplies these days, what is sli ready and does it matter, etc?... also 1000W, do i really need that madness?

As for your case issue, i also had an antec and i loved it so much i am just reusing it once i clean it out. Its a SUPER QUIET Antec P180. The fans are top notch, the whole thing is so quiet i mostly just hear the zalman fan and occasionally the clicking of my harddrive.... or i did until my mobo shorted out from dust/age.

http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?lan=us&id=81800

however any of the Performance One cases are top of the line, even as good as dare i say... lan li's overpriced shinanigans. Unless you are like 5 and want some flashy glowy shit comming out of the side of your PC. In which case i have a friend that has a very nice 900.

http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?lan=us&id=15900

Barcardi on
This discussion has been closed.