Options

if not an ipod, then what?

geeeeoffffgeeeeoffff Registered User regular
sup guys

i have a 4 gig mp3 player from meizu, the chinese company that makes mp3 players that oddly resemble ipods

it's not bad, but it takes like 20-30 seconds to start up, occasionally it'll play really loud static at the end of a song, cut off songs, and other random bugs

needless to say i'm searching for a new mp3 player. i'm not a big fan of the ipods but if not an ipod then what? i'm looking for competitors to the ipod nano. i don't really care about video, but i do care about being able to easily browse my music.

suggestions?

GD on paforums
geeeeoffff on

• Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zune

Zoolander on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Get a Zune.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Get an iPod anyway.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A zune

EDIT: Why?

Because an 80 gig zune, which look damn nice and has a super easy to use interface, will only run you 200 bucks!

Want MORE bang for your buck?

The recently released 120 gig zune is retailing right now for only fifty dollars more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqsHBJg3aB8

Need I say more?

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zune.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Perhaps have a look at Creative and see if they offer anything you fancy.

Trentus on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd be curious to know the OPs reasons for not wanting an iPod. I reluctantly recommend a Zune as second choice, though I believe it still may prove productive to at least state why he doesn't like iPods, as that may better inform people to make more appropriate suggestions.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    A zune

EDIT: Why?

Because an 80 gig zune, which look damn nice and has a super easy to use interface, will only run you 200 bucks!

Want MORE bang for your buck?

The recently released 120 gig zune is retailing right now for only fifty dollars more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqsHBJg3aB8

Need I say more?

woah

that is actually pretty neat. i didn't know that they had expanded the wifi capabilities so much.

i'm not sure if i want a hard drive player since it has moving parts, and i might be working out with it.

geeeeoffff on
    GD on paforums
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, that video was pretty awesome. I think if my ipod ever died -- which is a possibility, it's seen better days, I'd be heavily considering a Zune to replace it.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    does the Zune have the ability to browse the web like the iPod touch?

i'm in the market for a new mp3 device and really want the wifi websurfing capability...

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    No, it does not.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Legacy wrote: »
    No, it does not.

d-d-d-d-d-deal breaker!

guess i'm going with a touch then.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    No, it does not.

d-d-d-d-d-deal breaker!

i was considering the touch, but the htc g1 dream is coming out in a couple weeks. it's the phone with androidOS from google. it isn't multi touch, but it is open source, so anyone can develop for it. so you won't be forced to use apple's instant messenger client and web browser. imo, a far better choice. it supports wifi AND you do not need to buy a data package like with the iphone. so if you're like me and you're around wifi all day, you can skip the data plan.

plus the htc g1 slides to reveal a keyboard. which makes typing a little easier.

geeeeoffff on
    GD on paforums
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There isn't an apple im app for the ipod touch/iphone is there?

There are third party ones though.

Jake! on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    geeeeoffff wrote: »
    No, it does not.

d-d-d-d-d-deal breaker!

i was considering the touch, but the htc g1 dream is coming out in a couple weeks. it's the phone with androidOS from google. it isn't multi touch, but it is open source, so anyone can develop for it. so you won't be forced to use apple's instant messenger client and web browser. imo, a far better choice. it supports wifi AND you do not need to buy a data package like with the iphone. so if you're like me and you're around wifi all day, you can skip the data plan.

plus the htc g1 slides to reveal a keyboard. which makes typing a little easier.

he's talking about the touch ipod, not the iphone, which doesn't require a data package either.

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Go Zune. All-you-can-eat Music For the WIN

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sandisk's Sansa line is also good, but if you're looking for Zune/iPod Classic capacities I don't think they offer anything for you.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    woah

that is actually pretty neat. i didn't know that they had expanded the wifi capabilities so much.

i'm not sure if i want a hard drive player since it has moving parts, and i might be working out with it.

Zune comes in both Flash and HD flavors, and they both have the same wifi functionality. The only difference is the amount of space.

4, 8, 16 - Flash

80, 120 - HD

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Got a DS that you already carry everywhere?

Get a DSTT and a nice, big (yet tiny!) MicroSDHC card.

edit: you'll even have (limited) Wi-Fi web browsing capabilities.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Got a DS that you already carry everywhere?

Get a DSTT and a nice, big (yet tiny!) MicroSDHC card.

edit: you'll even have (limited) Wi-Fi web browsing capabilities.

Wicked impractical though. They're huge comparded to any MP3 player. I am a former zune owner-- hardware failure ftl. It can happen to any hard drive based player though, so I suggest going flash. Also, Zunepass is awesome. For the price of about a new CD a month, I have unlimited CD downloading.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd check out Cowon Audio. I have an older X5 (two years old) and the output quality is superior to even the IPod Touch.

Also, Fuck IPod. ITunes was the sole reason I returned my IPod and got the X5.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The only mp3 player that has more functionality than the Zune is the iPod Touch. The Zune 80gig is a great deal and MS will continue to update them.

If you don't go iPod Touch go Zune.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The way it works is that no portable media player is worth anything unless you have the proper software to interface with it.

In the 18+ years I've been using computers nothing has matched iTunes in terms of ease-of-use and power.

Thus iPod is the way to go, in my eyes.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    RBach wrote: »
    Sandisk's Sansa line is also good, but if you're looking for Zune/iPod Classic capacities I don't think they offer anything for you.
    I have the cheap ass version of one of these and it works fine for everything I do. Built in FM tuner, recording capabilities, SD expansion slot, built in USB plug so I don't need a cable. Sadly it doesn't hold much, but it turns out I'm happy with about 2GB of music anyway. And all for a quarter the price and a smaller form factor. Conclusion: I've never been that sad that my nano was stolen.

If I was looking to go the ultracheap route again, I'd probably look through their outlet section, although I've never owned any of those and can't vouch for anything about them.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The way it works is that no portable media player is worth anything unless you have the proper software to interface with it.

In the 18+ years I've been using computers nothing has matched iTunes in terms of ease-of-use and power.

The Zune 2.0 software was a giant leap forward. Zune 3.0 software adds evolutionary improvement. I think I like the Zune software more than iTunes now. Its interface is really modern-looking, unlike iTunes which is getting very long-in-the-tooth. And the Zune firmware is much better than any iPod's besides the Touch (which costs insanely more).

I have yet to see any other companies come out with a good software/firmware combo. The Creative Zen I owned briefly, while a nice piece of hardware and ridiculously cheap, had the shittiest firmware ever. They came out with a new model recently, and one of the most pertinent improvements they made was to make the reset button easier to press. From what I've seen, none of the Asian mp3 player makers come even close to the firmware and software quality of the Zune and iPod.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    there is no better mobile browsing experience than the iPod touch. A d that is the truth. I am at my girlfriends house right now, been helping her with her homework. I have been using my iPod touch to browse the Internet pretty heavily for the past 2 hours, and except for the lack of flash support I have not felt restricted by the device at all. Browsing the web on the iPod touch is simply a fantastic experience. In fact, I just typed this post on the touch itself.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd say try out the Zune. The new update has some really neat features (as already been said), and I find the software more pleasant to use than iTunes (at least on Windows.)

That being said, I've noticed somewhat high memory usage for the Zune software, similar to what I've seen some people mention about iTunes for Windows; last night it hit about 200MB, downloading several podcasts while listening to another. I didn't notice any slowdown, but I just thought I'd throw that out there (I still stand firmly by recommending the Zune :P)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've had two Creative mp3 players, and have been very satisfied with both. (Only upgraded for more capacity-- 5GB gets pretty tight.) I got my Vision:M two years ago, and it's still going strong. For that reason, I have no idea what new players are out there! But I can warrant for Creative's build quality.

I use it with WMP11, which is pretty solid. With the WMPKeys plugin (F7 is back, F8 is play/pause, F9 is next), I don't really need anything else.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I came here to say how great Sansas are because they aren't all bloated with useless "extras" you'll never touch.

I left wanting a Zune. :(

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    I've had two Creative mp3 players, and have been very satisfied with both. (Only upgraded for more capacity-- 5GB gets pretty tight.) I got my Vision:M two years ago, and it's still going strong. For that reason, I have no idea what new players are out there! But I can warrant for Creative's build quality.

I use it with WMP11, which is pretty solid. With the WMPKeys plugin (F7 is back, F8 is play/pause, F9 is next), I don't really need anything else.

My Zen Vision:M (which I got maybe... 3ish years ago) locks up quite frequently, but so long as the paper clip I carry around in the pouch hasn't fallen out somewhere, it isn't that big of a deal. All in all, I'm quite happy with it, and I would certainly check out their newer players if I was looking to buy.

Trentus on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My first MP3 player was a Sansa, which was a great MP3 player. I recently got the 120 gig Zune and it is awesome. I got that mainly for the video, though. Also, the Zune software is nice, and I have finally been listening to those dang fangled PA podcasts everyone is talking about.

So I would recommend a Sansa or a flash Zune. The blue ones look sweet, too bad the 120s only came in black :-(

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think the digital copy thing alot of studios are doing now is the best idea ever. Having to work with Mactheripper and handbrake was beginning to get tedious.

Wall-E on Nov 18...can't wait to get that onto my touch.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Zune software is better, in my opinion. They nailed it.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How does the Zune software handle audiobooks? IIRC it still doesn't have Audible support, but can I arbitrarily mark files as books (or at least tell it to save my position in them) in it? I'm mainly asking out of curiosity--I have an iPod Touch and won't be giving it up any time soon--but such features were the original reason I went with iPods (and iTunes) in the first place. Well, audiobooks and podcasts...

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    RBach wrote: »
    How does the Zune software handle audiobooks? IIRC it still doesn't have Audible support, but can I arbitrarily mark files as books (or at least tell it to save my position in them) in it? I'm mainly asking out of curiosity--I have an iPod Touch and won't be giving it up any time soon--but such features were the original reason I went with iPods (and iTunes) in the first place. Well, audiobooks and podcasts...
    The Zune PC software itself still doesn't handle audiobooks, but you can use Audible's software to sync up your Zune. Podcast support was added a while back, I believe.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Audible support for audiobooks was added with the 3.0 software release.

And Zune has always been really good for podcasts, in my opinion.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    TiantTiant Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    So I'm getting a new player and at the moment I can get an 8gb for $150 or an 8gb nano for $170 (In Canada). I'm leaning slightly towards the zune but I have no experience with them. How is podcast support and their reliability?

Tiant on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, CNet says that the Zune is better for podcasts than the iPod (I think so too).

They're very reliable devices too. I've never had a real problem with mine.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it's pretty good at podcasts. If there's one that you want to subscribe to that isn't in the Zune Marketplace (podcasts are under there, but you don't have to pay for them, obviously), you can just plug the podcast feed into the software and it'll figure it out.

(I'm sure iTunes has this too, but in case there were doubts about podcasts that aren't in the Zune directory.)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    sup guys

i have a 4 gig mp3 player from meizu, the chinese company that makes mp3 players that oddly resemble ipods

it's not bad, but it takes like 20-30 seconds to start up, occasionally it'll play really loud static at the end of a song, cut off songs, and other random bugs

needless to say i'm searching for a new mp3 player. i'm not a big fan of the ipods but if not an ipod then what? i'm looking for competitors to the ipod nano. i don't really care about video, but i do care about being able to easily browse my music.

suggestions?

I was wondering, is there any particular reason you're not a fan of the iPods? I know it's weird to say this, but the new Nano is probably the best option. I was using the 2nd gen nano until I got my 2nd gen touch, actually, and even though I upgraded for video it was still going strong. Plus, those yellow nanos are sexy.

I could be a little bit bias because I prefer the iTunes software to the Zune software.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!