As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo DSi, the new DS iteration. Larger screens, camera, SD slot, DLC focus.

gilraingilrain Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
I was just wandering around some gaming news sites, and was surprised to see this. I usually get my news here in G&T, but I can't find a thread about it anywhere. I'll take the case!

dsi.jpg

dsiside.jpg

Let me give you the quick breakdown.
  • Larger screens
  • Two cameras
  • SD card slot (might make homebrew even easier/better)
  • Focus on downloadable games (region locked)
  • Web browser
  • Japanese release is Nov 1, international release is "2009."
  • 18,900 yen, ~$185

And, like the NDS wasn't a replacement for the GBA, the DSi is currently not planned to replace the DS Lite. Yeah. :P

Below is a summary from Wired. I can't find an official press release, yet.
Wired wrote:
Nintendo has just fired the latest salvo in the portable gaming wars.

Although the company's Nintendo DS Lite is still selling like gangbusters, even setting sales records, Nintendo said at a press conference Thursday that it will not wait for its popularity to wane. The Kyoto company will introduce a new model of its two-screened handheld, called Nintendo DSi, this November in Japan.

It's got bigger screens. It comes equipped with a small camera to take pictures. It can play music files. It can store all that content on an SD memory card. But most importantly, it's fully equipped for the digital distribution revolution. Just as Nintendo sells Wii games through its own direct-download store, so too will it begin selling Nintendo DS titles directly to consumers.

Some downloadable DSi software will be free, and some will be priced from $2 to $10, Nintendo said. The company is pursuing a gung-ho strategy to get DSi purchasers online with their handhelds and buying games -- it said it would give a free 1000 Nintendo Points (about $10 in online currency) to each DSi owner through the spring of 2010.

One of the first free applications that users can download from the DSi Shop is a web browser.

What the DSi is not is a brand-new gaming platform. It's a Nintendo DS with significant feature upgrades. While Nintendo has said that it will release software that is only playable on the DSi, it mostly just plays the same games as the current DS Lite.

So if you're not into the upgrades, you don't need to buy one.

There are actually two cameras on the device, one that faces outward (shown right) and one that faces inward, like a MacBook's camera. Nintendo says that the images the cameras snap are 300,000 pixels large, which works out to 640X480 resolution.

DSi can also play back audio, and you can alter the pitch and playback speed of the sound files you're playing.

An SD card slot sits on the right side of the machine, storing all the camera photos, music files, and games that you've added on to the system.

The DSi brings Nintendo's product offering closer to what rival Sony has with its PSP portable system, which has an optional camera attachment, robust media playback functionality, and can download games to Memory Stick media.

What it lacks is a Game Boy Advance game slot. So if you still want to play your old Pokemon games, you'll want to stick with the current DS Lite.

DSi will cost more than the DS Lite -- 18,900 yen, or about $185 -- and debut in Japan on November 1. Nintendo will release it outside Japan in 2009.

gilrain on

• Options
    edited October 2008
    To get it out of the way... I hear it has two cameras!

gilrain on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Motherfucker. Thread title didn't have DSi in it, is why I missed that while searching.

gilrain on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think the DSi is totally and utterly worth it's own thread, though, especially since the other one was clogged with all of the Wii announcements as well.

I guess we can get the ball rolling by the news that the downloadable DSi software will be region locked. Commence bitching!

EDIT: I'm going to wait until the system launches in the U.S. next year before making up my mind on the system. On the one hand it seems like a pretty minimal physical upgrade, but on the other end since I now run all my PSP games off of a memory stick, the immense potential of having software on the internal memory or being able to swap out SD cards for software could be huge. It all depends on how robust the DSi Store ends up being, though. Even the PSP is still fairly slow with offering full games as downloads.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Region locked in what sense? I can't download stuff that is exclusive to the Americas while I'm here in the UK? Or does it go further than that, and I wouldn't be able to download stuff while physically in the Americas if I have a UK-bought DSi?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Region locked in what sense? I can't download stuff that is exclusive to the Americas while I'm here in the UK? Or does it go further than that, and I wouldn't be able to download stuff while physically in the Americas if I have a UK-bought DSi?
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=253920
    Nintendo has told us that software is their term for everything these days, including games products, so it sounds like the DSi's region-locking will be broad-based on all releases that require the new hardware.
    uh oh

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    OmegasquashOmegasquash Boston, MARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm going to wait and see, but I'm mostly on the "not gonna get it" side of the fence. Rather, it seems like one of those things that I can just put on a birthday/holiday gift list.

I am interested but in the store, but I'm waiting to hear how it'll work/what's going to be offered. 'Til then, well, it's another piece of hardware in the pipeline.

Omegasquash on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yah I've been wondering this as well. If I imported a Japanese DSi, would I be able to access the store once the NA store launches? Or would I be out of luck?

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20525
    Nintendo: DSi Software Will Be Region-Locked

Nintendo now says that software released specifically for the DSi will be region-locked, restricting gamers from downloading and loading games intended for other regions.

"DSi is region locked because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself, and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region," said a statement given to UK consumer website CVG.

The statement reasons that region-locking its upcoming DS hardware upgrade is necessary as the new system will feature parental control features which will be dependent on each region's unique age limit.

The DSi, however, will be able to play standard Nintendo software from any region, similar to the original Nintendo DS model and the Nintendo DS Lite. Users will also be able to browse the Internet on their DSi from anywhere in there world and exchange photos with friends in other countries.

The statement runs contrary to recent comments from Nintendo of America's Sales and Marketing EVP Cammie Dunaway, who told Wired's GameLife blog, "I believe that just as you can currently buy a DS in Japan and use it here in the U.S., that you should be able to do that with DSi... I carry around my Ice Blue DS because I like the color, and I could find it in Japan and couldn’t find it here."

Further demonstrating the company's uncertainty over the DSi's region-lockout status, when asked by G4TV whether the forthcoming handheld will be able to play titles from other countries, NOA COO and president Reggie Fils-Aimé said, "To be honest I don’t know for sure, I will look into it."

According to recent indications from the company, the Nintendo DSi will launch on November 1st in Japan, after April 2009 in the U.S., in spring 2009 in Europe, and in the second half of 2009 in Australia.

I kind of figured that the download stores would be region-locked, but it remains to be seen whether or not there will be any cart-based DSi exclusive games or software.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Are the screens the same resolution as before, or higher (because they're larger, and to go with the downloadable games?)

If this thing has 320x240 screens (or higher, I guess), I'm fucking sold.

(If it doesn't, though, don't count on downloadable Virtual Console for anything but old handheld games).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Are the screens the same resolution as before, or higher (because they're larger, and to go with the downloadable games?)

Its the same resolution just larger.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just want to say the top of it with the camera is just fucking ugly.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

We aren't getting downloadable console games on it, then. Or, if we do, they'll use terrible-looking scaling.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm not really digging the camera thing, but I can't say "no" to portable DLC.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    OmegasquashOmegasquash Boston, MARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008

We aren't getting downloadable console games on it, then. Or, if we do, they'll use terrible-looking scaling.

I was sort of hoping for 640/480 myself, given the inside camera.

Omegasquash on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I was sort of hoping for 640/480 myself, given the inside camera.

That would be nice, but prohibitively expensive, and would mean that DS games would need to get upscaled (again, terrible-looking).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Maybe when this comes out I'll finally upgrade my DS fatty. Then again, I really don't play it... I play it even less than the PSP, and I haven't upgraded that yet either. hmm

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    And to make matters even more head-scratching, The DSi's audio player will only play AAC format, which means no MP3s. I realize the same thing happened with the Wii, so this must be a Nintendo thing, but really? Really?

This does seem like a test-bed of a variety of features for a full handheld successor.

Lunker on
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am still not sure whether the cameras are .3 or 3 megapixel. Did that ever get cleared up?

Arceus on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    I am still not sure whether the cameras are .3 or 3 megapixel. Did that ever get cleared up?

Both.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

3 megapixel camera on the outside, .3 megapixel camera on the inside hinge.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    I now run all my PSP games off of a memory stick
    The PSP has an update that lets you copy game discs onto a memory stick?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    agoaj wrote: »

Both.

I don't think anything official has been said; Rumors on the Internets are that the outside camera is definitely only 0.3MP, and people are claiming the inside one is either 3MP or 0.3MP. The only thing Iwata said at the JP conference was:
    For cell phones and digital cameras, manufacturers have been increasing the number of pixels in order to appeal to consumers. However, we have taken almost the opposite approach. We cannot boast about the resolution as the camera for DSi has the 300,000 pixels resolution.

Given the translation, it doesn't sound like the resolution is all that great, so I'd bank on only 0.3 MP, which is apparently 640x480 resolution but I'm not 100 percent sure.

BTW, here's the link to the full English translation of Iwata's JP conference.

EDIT: A slide!

l19.jpg

Lunker on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You can include AAC encoding w/o paying any licensing fees. There also may be a deal with iTunes in the works that we don't know about, but I'd argue that not paying mp3 fees (and AAC is a better format, anyway) is the real reason.

So this is really just the DS-Not-As-Lite? No real change to the actual gaming hardware? If I get into playing DS again, this might get me to upgrade my DS Phat, but there'd have to be some pretty amazing new games for that to happen. I haven't picked mine up in over a year.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    So this is really just the DS-Not-As-Lite?
    It's actually liter

Opium on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You can include AAC encoding w/o paying any licensing fees. There also may be a deal with iTunes in the works that we don't know about, but I'd argue that not paying mp3 fees (and AAC is a better format, anyway) is the real reason.

So this is really just the DS-Not-As-Lite? No real change to the actual gaming hardware? If I get into playing DS again, this might get me to upgrade my DS Phat, but there'd have to be some pretty amazing new games for that to happen. I haven't picked mine up in over a year.

It just seems like a strange move for the DS audience, which is as a mainstream as you can get and will be confused because they can't drag their MP3 folders onto an SD card and get it to work, unless Nintendo offers some kind of auto-conversation software.

Right now the jury's out because we don't know how robust the DSi Store is going to be, but yes, this looks like a Game Boy Color/Micro situation: a boutique version of the handheld with some extra features and others removed.

Lunker on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I really didn't see a need to get the GBA Micro when it came out, despite how cool it looked. And it looks like this falls into the same category as that. Maybe sometime down the line if the price has dropped and I'm looking for a different colour DS, but I'm not going to go out of my way to get this.

Also, the SD slot kinda worries me. I'm sure they'll have safeguards in place, but I can't help think that's going to be a pretty easy door in for homebrew. Which isn't bad in itself, but that does lead to opening the door to piracy. It's already rediculously easy to pirate WiiWare games with nothing more than an SD card. I can't help think that putting one on the DS is just going to lead to the same thing.

Then again, I guess it's already easy enough with that R-5 or whatever that thing is called for the DS. So I dunno...

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    is the DSi smaller, but the hinge the same size at the lite so it's sticking up a bit?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2008

It just seems like a strange move for the DS audience, which is as a mainstream as you can get and will be confused because they can't drag their MP3 folders onto an SD card and get it to work, unless Nintendo offers some kind of auto-conversation software.

Right now the jury's out because we don't know how robust the DSi Store is going to be, but yes, this looks like a Game Boy Color/Micro situation: a boutique version of the handheld with some extra features and others removed.
    Game Boy Color didn't have any features removed I don't think, just awesome stuff added such as color (obviously), infrared port, more horsepower, etc.
    I agree on the Micro though, still pissed that they cut GBC support from that. Still an awesome gadget to have though, it's so tiny! The iPod Nano of videogame systems.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »

In a manner of speaking, yes.

Seriously, having something like Brain Age on the DSi's internal memory is a really awesome idea. I'd love to have something like that or Picross always sitting in memory and available to be picked at for five or 10 minutes. And if future DS games were ever offered up simultaneously for either retail purchase or DSi download, it could be an interesting tack into territory that the PSP and iPhone are already wading into.
    Yeah, I really didn't see a need to get the GBA Micro when it came out, despite how cool it looked. And it looks like this falls into the same category as that. Maybe sometime down the line if the price has dropped and I'm looking for a different colour DS, but I'm not going to go out of my way to get this.

Strangely enough, I have a Micro that hasn't gotten much use since I bought a Lite, but if I were ever to sell off the Lite and pick up a DSi, the Micro would be perfect to keep around for GBA games.

Lunker on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Photo notebook for female junior-high and high-school students to store pictures of friendships

I can't wait for Fox News to get a hold of this line.

Surely this device was designed to corrupt the youth of America, by urging them to photograph each other during acts of "friendship" - yeah, Nintendo, we know what you really meant, "group sex" - and then using this diabolic device's built-in wireless connectivity, share them with other children. The touch-screen and intuitive paint program even allows them to scrawl lewd communication on the images and send them back! Nintendo is responsible for the upswing in teen pregnancies.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Strangely enough, I have a Micro that hasn't gotten much use since I bought a Lite, but if I were ever to sell off the Lite and pick up a DSi, the Micro would be perfect to keep around for GBA games.

I submit that with the plethora of awesome GBA games, it's hard to beat a GBM in the "Videogame Fun per cubic inch" metric.

[tiny]ibsomeonecorruptsthatstatement[/tiny]

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

The DS can do that, too, so it's a moot point to bring up.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I discovered this while researching whether it was a good time to get another DS Lite. I sold my last one to help pay for a move. It was a bad idea in retrospect, but, eh, y'know. The cameras don't appeal to me at all, although I wouldn't put it past some developer to find an awesome, innovative way to use the on-the-hinge one, somehow. The larger screens, likewise -- if it were a resolution increase, or even just contrast or color gamut, I would be sold. As it is...

I'll probably just get another DS Lite. The GBA slot just seals the deal, as GBA games have held up great and I still play a lot. I do have an NES SP, so a DSi wouldn't cut me off, but the two-handhelds-in-one factor of the DS Lite is convenient.

I am not even very antsy for them to release a real DS successor, actually. I am afraid to lose the last haven for gorgeous, market-viable 2D and 2.5D games that is the DS.

gilrain on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Remeber that Fatal Frame cellphone game? Well, probably not since it was Japan-onry. It was playable on cellphones with cameras and essentially made your phone the Camera Obscura. You'd battle ghosts yourself in the way you watched Fatal Frame's protagonists do so on-screen, putting you in their shoes.

Well, now take that idea and apply it to DSi. For full effect you'll have fly to Japan and play in a creepy old abandoned village at night, though.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited October 2008

The DS can do that, too, so it's a moot point to bring up.

I wasn't really looking to make distinctions, but PSP custom firmware allow you to literally rip your own UMDs (as in not obtaining them from anywhere else) and then run them. As I understand it, similar DS solutions don't work the same way, but I admittedly haven't stayed keyed into the DS homebrew scene.

Regardless, digital distribution for handhelds is a brilliant idea and I hope all the players involve push forward with it.

Lunker on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    I'll probably just get another DS Lite. The GBA slot just seals the deal, as GBA games have held up great and I still play a lot. I do have an NES SP, so a DSi wouldn't cut me off, but the two-handhelds-in-one factor of the DS Lite is convenient.
    That convenience is nullified by the useless second screen, IMO. SP or Micro is still the best way to go for GBA games.

Opium on
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    I am not even very antsy for them to release a real DS successor, actually. I am afraid to lose the last haven for gorgeous, market-viable 2D and 2.5D games that is the DS.
    Wario-Land-Shake-it-US.jpg

Arceus on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The DLC is cool, but the rest seems kind of pointless to me. I have an iPhone, and before that I had a Samsung Blackjack. I don't need another camera/mp3 player/web browser.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Mp3 decoding would cost them like $3 per DSi sold. Nintendo likes their money. Hence no mp3 decoding.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.