As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crisis at Infinite Salads [NOW GIRL THREAD WITH UPDATES]

EriosErios Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a leafy problem:

I have a girl coming over tomorrow for a first date. She's gorgeous (captain of the tae kwon do team :winky:) and she's really awesome and funny and *gush*. I am cooking her dinner, as I am an excellent cook. The menu so far is this:

-Old bottle of red wine from Napa.
-Grass-fed NY strip steaks.
-Garlic and rosemary red potatoes cooked in the oven.

The logical compliment to this would be a salad. However, I just realized, I know NOTHING about salad (which is weird, as my brother was trained as a chef and I am an excellent cook). So, suggest me a bitchin' salad recipe. No holds barred in terms of cost or technique. No anchovies, preferably.

Also, if anyone has an idea for a good homemade dessert (maybe some home made fudge sauce to put over ice cream) that would be good for romancin', I would be happy to listen.

After dinner, we're going to see Transporter 3, as per her suggestion, and then we're going back to my place so I can introduce her to House. Naturally if you good folks help me out, I will be happy to provide updates.

Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
Erios on

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hmm... do you know if she prefers creamy sauces for salads, or vinegary ones? I don't know what the odds are that you might know, but it will be important, as those are the two primary divisions of salad. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Wait...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Arugula-Salad/Detail.aspx

Score. Apparently this is the kind of salad Italians serve with steak, and is delicious. (I knew it was delicious from personal experience, though in searching for a recipe for it, I learned that it happened to be the Italian salad of choice with steak =) )

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    VThornheart, you are consistently awesome (and you have good taste in avatars too!)

Erios on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My experience with salads is keep them simple. Romaine lettuce, sliced cucumber, a little grated cheese.... nothing too fancy. Diced tomato and diced hard boiled eggs are also good.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    te he, thanks! You're too good to me =) I'm just glad to help... partly because I'm frustrated at work right now, and want to be doing ANYTHING but work... so I'm procrastinating away my last hour before the weekend. (Naughty, I know! =) )

Good luck though! Judging by the "*gush*", you've fallen head over heels! I really hope it goes well! Something tells me it will! =)=)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    In terms of dessert... it depends what you have available in terms of material.

If you have the time and resources (the little blowtorch thing and the little special cups... I forget what they're called =( ), Creme Brulee is... mmm... awesome. And it's also got this touch of elegance in my opinion, if (as it sounds like) elegance is your call for the evening. =)

EDIT: I'll differ to Alton Brown for Creme Brulee recipe goodness: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/creme-brulee-recipe/index.html

But as you can see, you need some pretty specific stuff to make it happen, as well as time. If this is too much, I'm sure those of us in H&A can do some brainstorming. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm apartment sitting for a friend and, while the 60" plasma tv is awesome, he is very much a bachelor so I don't have anything advanced like creme brulee torches etc. Anything simpler?

Erios on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hmm... let me do a bit of searching, see what I can find. =)

Anyone else have any dessert opinions? (or alternative Salad opinions of course =) )

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Also, plating... as someone who knows how to cook well already, you may already know this, but just in case... do you have access to any plain white plates, so that you can spruce them up all fancy-like? (or is that going too far into fancy? Don't let me pull you too far into fancy if you think that won't go over well with her.)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    Salad:

My personal fave is a spring mix with thin-sliced pears, crumbled bleu cheese (feta or gorgonzola works, too), and candied walnuts (or regular if you can't find/make candied ones). Top with a raspberry vinegrette dressing. Not too fancy or anything, but simple and yummy, and it should pair well with steak.

Dessert:

Get/make some chocolate cups (like this, though it needn't be so ornate). Fill with a homemade vanilla custard. Top with some fresh berries (I recommend blueberries and raspberries for contrast) and a mint leaf (just because it's pretty). It's a nice, light dessert, it's easy to do, and it looks more impressive than it really is.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Salad:

My personal fave is a spring mix with thin-sliced pears, crumbled bleu cheese (feta or gorgonzola works, too), and candied walnuts (or regular if you can't find/make candied ones). Top with a raspberry vinegrette dressing. Not too fancy or anything, but simple and yummy, and it should pair well with steak.

Dessert:

Get/make some chocolate cups (like this, though it needn't be so ornate). Fill with a homemade vanilla custard. Top with some fresh berries (I recommend blueberries and raspberries for contrast) and a mint leaf (just because it's pretty). It's a nice, light dessert, it's easy to do, and it looks more impressive than it really is.

Those both sound 100% awesome =) I would definitely go with ElJeffe's recommendation on the desert at the least. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh also, if you want a dessert that'll be really quick, you could try this. I've never tried it, but I was searching Google just now and it looks delicious.

Scroll halfway down this page and you'll see a review where someone took a picture and gave a description of it.

http://people.bakersfield.com/home/Business/BakersfieldLoveSushi/View_AllReviews

Apples (sliced thin), Peanut Butter, and chocolate sauce is all you need.

EDIT: But be warned, it looks to me like it's definitely a "form over function" dessert. Like I said before, if you think going too fancy will be going too far, don't bother with it. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I can't claim creation of the salad - I got that receipe from me mum. The dessert I made up one year for my wife when I realized at the last second that I needed to plan something for our anniversary, though I'm sure others have thought of bowl + custard + fruit.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    In terms of easy, if you have a fondue pot, fondue is trivial to do. Melt chocolate, dip stuff in it. It's not as elegant, but it's sort of fun.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    They both sound awesome, I give a big thumbs up to both =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    In terms of easy, if you have a fondue pot, fondue is trivial to do. Melt chocolate, dip stuff in it. It's not as elegant, but it's sort of fun.

What kind of chocolate?

Erios on
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Any kind of chocolate will do really. You might want to throw a bit of heavy cream (whipping cream) in there too and/or some sort of liqueur.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What i have been having with my dinner all this week:
    a box of salad mix from the vegetable store (i think it had carrot, corn, different kinds of lettuce), add some green apple (cubed) and honey mustard.
    extra bonus italian crouton mix (croutons + mixed nuts)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    Hobbit0815Hobbit0815 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Personally, I just like iceberg lettuce and cut up tomatoes with ranch dressing or my homemade italian dressing... (If you want to home make the italian dressing, it's really easy;
    10 oz. olive oil
    3 oz. lemon juice
    1 T salt
    1/2 t garlic powder
    1/2 t italian seasoning

Put into a bottle, shake, done.

But if you're looking for something a little fancier, I haves not. D:

For dessert though, I has some! It's one of my favorites (besides cake God damnit. Cake. But after that sort of meal, it's probably too much to bake a cake.. and eat it too. <__<)

Peach Cobbler
    2 c sliced/quartered peaches (I use canned ones with pear juice, drain some of the pear juice, but leave a little left, and just put the peaches in with the rest of the juice, makes a sticky deliciousness when it bakes)
    1 c sugar (I use brown)
    1 and 1/2 c and 1 T flour
    2 t baking powder
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 c milk
    1 large egg
    1/2 c melted butter
    whipped cream

Grease 8" x 8" baking pan.
    Oven to 425 degrees (I can't figure out how to do the degrees dot lol.)
    Mix fruit, 1/2 c of sugar and 1 T of flour. Put mixture into pan.
    In another bowl, mix 1/2 c sugar, 1 and 1/2 c flour, 2 t baking powder, and 1/2 t salt.
    In another bowl/glass measuring cup, combine 1/2 c milk, egg, and 1/2 c melted butter, beat together and add to dry mixture and mix.
    Spread the batter over the peaches in the pan. It's almost dough like, so it'll be a little annoying. ;)
    Bake for 30 mins or until the top's light brown. Side/top with whipped cream.

That one's DELICIOUS, imo.

You could also make a fruit dish for dessert, though are always lovely, leaving a light taste. I personally (and don't know anyone who doesn't) like strawberries. Strawberries and peaches together topped with whipped cream and seedless cherries, or those candy cherries.

Man thinking of it makes me giggle with delight... Anyway, I have more, if you're unsatisfied. :D

Hobbit0815 on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Basic guidelines for oil/vinegar-based salad dressing:

1 part vinegar (red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, lemon juice, etc) to 2-3 parts oil (usually olive oil)
    salt
    other spices

put in bottle/jar and shake.

That'll do you good for everything from a basic vinaigrette (red wine or balsamic vinegar, pepper and garlic) to Hobbit's italian (lemon juice, garlic powder, italian seasoning) to a non-creamy caesar (red wine vinegar and lemon juice, garlic, raw egg, Worcestershire sauce, parmesan). I find that homemade salad dressing is so much better than most store-bought and it's ridiculously easy to make.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like baby greens, dried cranberries, walnuts, blue cheese, all tossed together with a vinaigrette.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That first recipe sounds great. Pine nuts and avocado practically guarantee an amazing salad.

Capers even more so, if they would mesh well with the other ingredients.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Update:

So dinner was served:
    -NY strips (prime, grass-fed) with matre'd butter
    -Roasted Yukon Golds with minced garlic, olive oil and rosemary.
    -Spring mix salad with crumbled goat cheese, raspberry vinaigrette, walnuts, sliced pears and pomegranate seeds.

Dinner was a pretty huge hit, though I basically went on a binge in the kitchen because I was so anxious. Fortunately that made my charm factor go up, rather than down. We then went to Transporter 3, which was pretty fun (we touched shoulders yay) and all the while I was an exploding ball of nervous energy. We went back to my place and watched her favorite Thai martial arts movie "Born to Fight" on my friend's jumbo 60" TV. We then talked about humor, former relationships, our friends and our on campus activities and what we percieve as our own flaws, all while getting a little touchy-feely. 4:30 AM rolled around faster than I would have liked (I still had yet to make a move) and so I offered to walk her to her place on W120 from my friend's place on W89. On the way back, we joke and stuff and at some point, she shoves me really hard as a joke. We play fought walking back to her place until we got to her stairs.

Also, she said the food was the best thing she's ever had outside of a restaurant and even better than most of those! :D

I'm a really good reader of body language and hers wasn't exactly "OMG TAKE ME NOW" but she gave me a really tight hug and said she had such a good time. So, as she was going up, I flip a coin quickly and it lands heads, which I guess is my sign for "YES FUCKER DO IT" so I just, stammering and nervous ask "Can I ask you a question?" to which she responds positively and I just ask, in the least creative and most nervous way possible "would you like to go out with me." She said she'd like to see me a few more times before that, but then rushed back down and gave me a hug so tight both our backs cracked. Then she play punched me a few times in the ribs and went in to her building. As I was walking back, she texted me saying she had a really good time and thanking me for the good night, while wishing me a pleasant night/morning.

Also she kept dropping words like "cute" and "sweet" describing me all night.

So H/A, I think I have my foot in the door. Confirm/deny.

The real question is, what the hell do I do now? I can be a real ladies man, but only when I don't really care about the girl, I am basically head-over-heels for her, and I don't want to screw things up (REALLY DON'T).

Erios on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Congrats! Sounds like you have a good thing going for you!

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Erios wrote: »
    I'm a really good reader of body language and hers wasn't exactly "OMG TAKE ME NOW" but she gave me a really tight hug and said she had such a good time. So, as she was going up, I flip a coin quickly and it lands heads, which I guess is my sign for "YES FUCKER DO IT" so I just, stammering and nervous ask "Can I ask you a question?" to which she responds positively and I just ask, in the least creative and most nervous way possible "would you like to go out with me." She said she'd like to see me a few more times before that, but then rushed back down and gave me a hug so tight both our backs cracked. Then she play punched me a few times in the ribs and went in to her building. As I was walking back, she texted me saying she had a really good time and thanking me for the good night, while wishing me a pleasant night/morning.

I don't get the bolded part. Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider asking someone out a big time commitment, as in that in shouldn't take her a couple of times of seeing each other before she can figure out if she wants to go out on a date with you. It's not like you asked her to be your girlfriend or anything like that..

That, along with the whole rib punching thing makes me think she might like you more as a friend than anything else.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well you asked her out, she essentially said "probably" and then played around with you and reiterated her enjoyment of the evening.

In other words, she likes you, enjoyed what you two did yesterday, but doesn't want to commit to being a "girlfriend" after only 1 date. Which is pretty normal. The "proper" next step is, in my opinion, to just act like you're already dating. Call her up and ask her out for more stuff, have fun, and so on. You don't have to top yourself each time, and if you're worried about expectations, just state "hey let's have something low-key tonight, what do you think?"

edit: noir, I'm pretty sure she interpreted "go out with me" as "be my girlfriend." "go out with me?" at the end of a date is more "enter into a more serious relationship" compared to, say, "go out with me (again/saturday/next week)?).

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah. You were already on a date with her, so I'm sure she thought you're question was more about committing to a relationship right off the bat. No worries though, I don't think that scared her off or anything.

Next time you meet, give her a hug and kiss her. It'll work.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, noir, I really basically asked her on the girlfriend part. I got a pause and a headcock and a "can I see you a few more times." We went out to pizza tonight, had to make it mega fast though, since we both have 20 page papers due tomorrow. Frankly, I take her being willing to step out of a group project for me a good sign! Got an unrequested hug and a pinch or two. I found out (from a friend) that her last boyfriend did fuck her over pretty hard, so I suppose she's just being cautious.

Oh and she facebook messaged me out of the blue today and then we talked for a few hours so yay. I even (apparently) made her blush by her admission. I don't think I'm "in" (:winky::winky::winky: ) yet, but I think I'm off to a good start.

Oh and I plagiarized material from Awesome Posts (like Leprechaun Twilight-which she thought was hilarious) to further my charm.

Random thing, I saw up her shirt a bit (not like that, cretins) when she was sliding off my couch last night and I noticed that she is completely ripped. Like, Jason Statham ripped, which is kind of funny on a 120 lb white chick. It also means I have to LIVE in the gym over Christmas break :P.

Erios on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, noir, I really basically asked her on the girlfriend part. I got a pause and a headcock and a "can I see you a few more times." We went out to pizza tonight, had to make it mega fast though, since we both have 20 page papers due tomorrow. Frankly, I take her being willing to step out of a group project for me a good sign! Got an unrequested hug and a pinch or two. I found out (from a friend) that her last boyfriend did fuck her over pretty hard, so I suppose she's just being cautious.

Oh and she facebook messaged me out of the blue today and then we talked for a few hours so yay. I even (apparently) made her blush by her admission. I don't think I'm "in" (:winky::winky::winky: ) yet, but I think I'm off to a good start.

Oh and I plagiarized material from Awesome Posts (like Leprechaun Twilight-which she thought was hilarious) to further my charm.

Random thing, I saw up her shirt a bit (not like that, cretins) when she was sliding off my couch last night and I noticed that she is completely ripped. Like, Jason Statham ripped, which is kind of funny on a 120 lb white chick. It also means I have to LIVE in the gym over Christmas break :P.

I'm glad to see you so happy. It sounds like she likes you.

I hate to sound so negative, but you need to make a move. Pinching and hugging is still in 'friend' territory. Try kissing her next time you guys go out. Try holding her hand. I know you are eager to start a relationship with this girl, who wouldn't? You have to keep it cool though.

Hmm.. what i'm trying to say, as disjointed as this post is, is that you need to lower your expectations, because it sounds like you putting her on a pedestal. Don't think you're exclusive with her, is all I'm saying.

I am rooting for you! Good luck mate ;)

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    =) Congrats! It sounds like a great start! It sounds, to me, like she's in the "I'm pretty sure I want to, but I'm still making my mind up" stage.

Though others can correct if they feel this is wrong, I've personally found that the only thing which can go truly wrong that stage is if you push too hard. So take it nice and slow, let her make up her mind. It sounds to me like if you let things progress naturally, she'll choose you. =)

I definitely wish you luck, and keep us posted! =)=)

EDIT: Ah, lol, I just realized my advice is the exact opposite of Demerdar... which is good, the two sides to this coin as they say. =)

I personally think it was enough that you expressed you want to go out with her. But I can definitely see how making a bolder move might be good... though in my experience, pushing too hard when someone's making up their mind about what they want to do tends to not end well. BUT that's just in my experience, I'd take it as just one person's example among the other responses that'll come in here. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think you're both right. I need to make a move at some point, but if I push too hard, I'll totally screw myself over.

Clearly the solution involves a boat and a singing crab.

Erios on
  • Options
    GuffreyGuffrey Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Putting in my vote for the "make a move, but at the right time". I've been in situations where I made no move, and ended up firmly in friend territory. And then there was the girl I asked out in 9th grade, and she said give her a week to think. Well, like five days in we are all at a party, things go great, so I bring it up, and she shoots me down. Now, most likely she was going to say no anyways, but she did give her reason as me not respecting her whole week to think. So you certainly don't want to press too hard.

Of course, now I've got my beautiful wife sleeping next to me, and I made the "girlfriend" move on our first date, but our situation was quite different. Best of luck to you!

Guffrey on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    LOL Erios! =) Indeed, we all need Sebastian at times like these. =)

Hmm... and Guffrey has a good point. You definitely want to establish that you want something other than friendship (friendship as part of it, but you know what I mean).

I'm beginning to lean more toward the "make a move" myself. It's going to be a hard line to toe either way... I wish you luck!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I'm beginning to lean more toward the "make a move" myself. It's going to be a hard line to toe either way... I wish you luck!

My 0.02 is that I would give it one more full-bore date effort before I would go for that big move. It sounds like Erios is doing a bang-up job so far in romancing the girl, but if he pushes too hard too soon on the girlfriend issue, it may queer the deal. I've always found that when you have a girlfriend, you don't need to ask to apply the label: you just know.

Based on what we've been told, she seems to be a high-energy, athletic kind of girl. I would look for some athletic outdoor activity the two of you could do around your area. Play to her interests and strengths.

However, I caution this: with winter break fast approaching, you're going to be separated from your potential tae kwon do queen for a period of weeks, and therefore you should be prepared to strike while the iron is white hot.

Good luck brother. Keep us in the loop.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well after the first date going so well along with the pizza get together, I think it's pretty safe to assume that you could attempt a simple kiss next date or hangout. It's pretty understandable that she might be putting up a bit of a wall and is taking things slow because of the last bf but don't let that fact deter you. She's showing all the right signs and she will eventually open up and because there is already a level of kino going on I'm sure she won't object to a small kiss.

My suggestion, the next time you guys get a lil playful with the hugging and what not just smoothly get close for lip connection. Nothing huge just a nice lip kiss held for a sec or two ( not a chicken's peck). You'll be able to tell if she's into it or not and if not then its no big deal.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Not to get too off topic, but this was sent to me on aim this morning from a school mate of mine:

(12/8/2008 10:20:59 AM) (fellow student): see, it's kind of amusing, because i can read your girl thread and i know who you are. but its good because it sounds awesome and good.

Erios on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not to get too off topic, but this was sent to me on aim this morning from a school mate of mine:

(12/8/2008 10:20:59 AM) (fellow student): see, it's kind of amusing, because i can read your girl thread and i know who you are. but its good because it sounds awesome and good.

It's trouble when you know forumers in real life. I woke up one Saturday to a thread titled "Scarlet St. is passed out on my floor, what should I do to him" a couple years ago.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    LOL! Oh no =) That's bad =)

Aye, don't let that happen to you. ;)=)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

It's trouble when you know forumers in real life. I woke up one Saturday to a thread titled "Scarlet St. is passed out on my floor, what should I do to him" a couple years ago.

What did they end up doing to you?

To stay on-topic, I kind of agree with incubus. a single smooch the next time you two are grappling would be a suave maneuver. Just as long as she doesn't knock your head off after.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

What did they end up doing to you?

To stay on-topic, I kind of agree with incubus. a single smooch the next time you two are grappling would be a suave maneuver. Just as long as she doesn't knock your head off after.

Aye, go for it amigo! You can do it! =) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! =)

VThornheart on