As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DAMNNATION: Steam powered pistols? Im in! (NSF56K)

LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
damnation_logo-cmyk_merged__small.jpg

What is Damnation?

Damnnation is a new, Steam punk driven game coming out for the Xbox 360, Playstaion 3 and PC made by Codemasters.
It is expected to be released On Febuary 24th 2009 for all three systems.

Okay, but what kind of game is it?

Its a steam punk based 3rd person shooter, with various platforming parts to it. How is it a platformer? Your able to go, just about anywhere it seems. By this I mean you can go onto the roof of a building and say, shoot the enemy on the ground, in another building, or ontop another building as well. From what we can tell, this is going to be the basis of the game, as they have said that "Along with miles of horizontal landscape, the player will be able to travel thousands of feet verticaly", so its going to be very heavily based on acrobatics.

damnation-20081028051417845_640w.jpg

Okay, but what about the setting and the story?

Its set in the early 20th century, a few decades after amercian civil war. As I said before, its steam punk. So guns, robots, vehicles and just about everything else is going to run on steam. So its going to be set, more or less, in the industrial era of Amercia, except without electricity and instetead steam as the primary source of power.

Yeah, there is both vehicles and robots. That run on steam.

They havent said it yet, but from the looks of it, you will play as this guy:

art3.jpg

His name is Captian Hamilton Rorck (Rurik? Not sure which one to use), and the rebel group he is in is called the "Peace Makers".

You will be acompanied by at least one companion throughout the game. Who is this woman here in the middle, no idea who the dude on the left it though:

damnation-20080625023056777_640w.jpg

Story wise, its apperently about some dude who comes to power and forms a dictator ship, its up to Hamilton, and the rebel group he is in, to stop this man and make eveything better again.

What kind of weapons are there?

How about a 4 cylinder, 32 shot magnum? Or a rail way spike gun that is able to pin enemies to the wall? Or a motorclylce that is as big as one of our cars?

damnation-20080625023041997_640w.jpg

Well, that there is a trike, but you get the idea.

How about the Ai?

Its hard to tell how good it will be, but we do know this. The Ai has the same abilites as you, so they will try to get to higher ground to snipe at you, or will chase right after you if you plan on running away.

What about multiplayer?

It seems pretty standard, you know, capture the flag, death match, team death match and king of the hill. But the way the game plays will probally make it pretty fancy. I know ill have fun shooting an enemey who is jumping across the roof tops. There are appernetly special ablities that will allow things like seeing an enemy through walls. As to whether these are online only I am not sure.

Ill update the OP with more info when I see more has been released, or if I find something of importance that ive missed right now or if someone posts something in this thread that I missed.

Decembers issue of QORE is free and has a video of Damnation in it, so if you have a PS3 and ascess to the Playstaion Net Work, I would recomend checking it out.

Main website is here. Their main webstie also has 4 videos, which more or less, show how the game is going to work, so I highly recomend checking them out. If I can figure out how to imbed them into this page, then I will, but I dont know yet, ill poke around and see how though.

Now, this is my first thread I have ever made, but I think I did a good job. Mabye a few too many pictures compared to words, but that will be fixed when more info of the game is released.

EDIT 1: The special abilities like the spirt vision are able to be used in single player, but will cause you to be unable to move while you use it.

Lagnar on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hate that woman.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    why would anyone think it is a good idea to put that kind of ridiculous outfit on a woman

my god

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There are so many Victorian-esque outfits they could design but nooooooooooo.

Couscous on
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    guess we're not out of the dark ages yet

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That is the most ridiculous female outfit in a video game I have ever seen
    Ever
    I mean, just, wow
    Looks like an interesting game, though

Rent on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    I hate that woman.

That character design makes me weep for mankind.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have nothing to add besides terrible outfit

I guess I could plug Dystopia, because Cyberpunk is the superior *punk

http://www.dystopia-game.com/

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    why would anyone think it is a good idea to put that kind of ridiculous outfit on a woman

my god

Why would anyone think it is a good idea to put that kind of ridiculous outfit on anything at all?

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    the combination of third person shooting with decent platforming sounds tasty though

especially in multiplayer.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

my god

Why would anyone think it is a good idea to put that kind of ridiculous outfit on anything at all?

on a man that would just be a poorly fitting vest, actually. it wouldn't be that bad. more suitable for a desert, of course, but what can you do

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    not gonna lie, the men's designs aren't any better, they just don't show off any groodies

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That outfit she's wearing is not conducive to any kind of movement, let alone running at any speed.

I dig the hats, but the clothing just doesn't seem right to me. I get where they are going, but it doesn't look right. Maybe it's the colors.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The outfit on the woman is terrible

But I have seen far worse and anyone who says they haven't is a dirty liar

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Every picture I found had her in that outfit, so we will have to make do it seems.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Visti wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    I hate that woman.

That character design makes me weep for mankind.

Seriously, I was gonna post the same thing, but I see there's other good people on here. That retarded costume is holding me right back on giving any kind of a damn about this game. Get the juvenile simpletons out of your art department, then we'll talk.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Seriously, if she was in a big Victorian dress with a bonnet doing acrobatics and gunplay, I'd be far more interested.

You could make it sexy and conservative at the same time.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Not caring about a game because of a chick's terrible outfit is pretty dumb

If the game turns out to be fun no one will give half a shit what she's wearing

The fact that the game sounds incredibly generic is what's keeping me from giving a damn

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    When Bayonetta beats your outfit design even if it was taken as not-ironic parody there is a problem.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Not caring about a game because of a chick's terrible outfit is pretty dumb.

Wrong. It speaks volumes about the art staff.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    haha i'm so desensitized to that crap, i didn't even notice how horrible her clothes were until someone mentioned it. the only good thing is the goggles.

the guy on the left is pretty bad, too, with his skin tight stretched cotton.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

The fact that the game sounds incredibly generic is what's keeping me from giving a damn

See these two things that are bolded?

They go hand in hand.

EDIT

That guy in the pic with all three. He looks like something that douche bag over at Square would design.

"Imma put super tight nylon on this guy cause it's so fucking stylish."

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Endomatic wrote: »

It's one fuckin' outfit

Maybe you should wait until we see another female character and then maybe we would see a trend developing

As it is it's no worse than, say, this

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I like titties. Love them, in fact.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sheep wrote: »

See these two things that are bolded?

They go hand in hand.

EDIT

That guy in the pic with all three. He looks like something that douche bag over at Square would design.

"Imma put super tight nylon on this guy cause it's so fucking stylish."

I don't think the design of the costume of one of the main characters really has anything to do with sounding generic

There are games that look really unique and play like every other platformer ever

This sounds like that except replace "platformer" with "third person shooter" and remove the "look really unique" part

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Endomatic wrote: »

It's one fuckin' outfit

Maybe you should wait until we see another female character and then maybe we would see a trend developing

As it is it's no worse than, say, this

It's no worse than any fantasy game ever.

Which means it's terrible.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I don't think the design of the costume of one of the main characters really has anything to do with sounding generic

Generic is what I'm focusing on here. You take one look at the setting and say generic. Fair enough. I look at these characters and say generic.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Look, everyone's gettin' all up in arms about this one costume "oh god it's so terrible look at that oh no" whereas if it were an established brand or a fantasy game or whatever no one would give it a second glance

I'm just looking for a little consistency in how we treat terrible female costume design in games

And it's not the setting that bothers me, it's the game itself. "oh it's a third person shooter and you have these two companions with you and there's a vehicle section and you jump on platforms to shoot at guys better." Wow that is some original thinking you got goin' there son

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A while back I saw a video of a producer walking someone through the first level.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37589.html

Here is a transcription of some of her amazing commentary:
    "This is one of the first places where you have a chance to use some of your platforming abilities... which, here, takes the form of... jumping."

"Now in this case, this is a very kind of typical puzzle in Damnation in that... Ok, well here's a locked gate, we know we want to get through here, we want to get to this elevator shaft, what do we do? Well, y'know, what would you do in the real world? You're a guy with a gun, you're a big badass. Uh, so, why not just go through the window? Uhh, huh huh huh. Alright."

"Uh, this is a sniper rifle, and to pick it up you just hold down... a... button? And, I will - Because it's a shooter, we have to have the, y'know, the things shooter fans come to expect. So, you get your ability for the headshot."

Needless to say, it did not sell me on the game. To say it sounds generic is fair, I think.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    See now that is a reason not to care about this game!

Glad we could all find some common ground

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Look, everyone's gettin' all up in arms about this one costume "oh god it's so terrible look at that oh no" whereas if it were an established brand or a fantasy game or whatever no one would give it a second glance

Ivy.
    Glad we could all find some common ground

It was established last page that some people think this game is pretty generic, for one reason or the other.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sheep wrote: »

Ivy.

Yes I already posted her as an example of terrible costume design that no one gives a damn about thank you

ANYWAY let's get away from this topic because otherwise we'll all get mad at each other for no reason

Did I just see someone jump and get stuck on the geometry in that demo? I swear to God I did, just after she used the "spirit vision" (which is super lame)

edit: yes I did indeed

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ha ha, nice catch. I guess Codemasters has a bit of code they've yet to master.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My initial reaction was 'Who would design that? Why? Are gamers really such a cheap consumer base?'
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. These ridiculous female designs are getting up to obnoxious-level.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Wow

the interview posted above is so much worse than the costume design

i am all about implementing the removal of arbitrary barriers in games, like "get the red key for the red gate"

but come on

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And we all simultaneously gravitate how insane that costume is. You can imagine all the wardrobe malfuctions that would go on (:winky:).

This reminds me of Duke Nukem- Zero Hour, for some reason; the Wild West levels in particular.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    did your mom ever tell you "alright, you've ruined it for everyone" and take away the video game so nobody could play?

that's what the Internet has done to steampunk. it's kinda sad that what should be a niche is now generic as hell.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Ha ha, nice catch. I guess Codemasters has a bit of code they've yet to master.

Oh ho ho

I see what you did there

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This OP is better than the bit they have in Qore about this game. I was unimpressed.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I remember watching that commentary earlier in the year. I'm sorry, but this game both looks and sounds horrible

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    "Oh hey is that guy hiding behind an explosive barrel. Oh yeah he is ha ha ha" (she puts a lot of emotion in her laughs)
    The game looks really glitchy and generally not ready to be showcased like that. Also horrible. I love steampunk, but nothing in that video said "steampunk."

Tharghor on