As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rock On] Guitar Hero II - Play Freebird!

Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
That's right! Harmonix's sequel to the hit game Guitar Hero will be rocking its way onto the 360!

PS2 RELEASE DATE: IT'S OUT!

360 RELEASE DATE: 4/3/07
Guitar Hero II is going to be rocking a new stage! RedOctane announced today that the Guitar Hero crew will bring their award-winning tour to the Xbox 360 "The tour will continue the rockin' gameplay Guitar Hero fans have come to enjoy, and will now include expanded Xbox 360 capabilities," said Kai Huang, president of RedOctane. "With Guitar Hero II for Xbox 360 rock rhythm, lead, or bass guitar tracks with downloadable content and the new X-Plorer controller, designed specifically for the Xbox 360."

RedOctane will reveal an early glimpse of Guitar Hero II and the X-Plorer controller at X06, the Xbox brand experience for the games and entertainment industry, being held on September 27th and 28th in Barcelona, Spain. This industry event is open to media and retailers from around the world to view the next-generation of games and accessories.

"With its large integrated hard drive, Xbox 360 provides an incredible platform for facilitating downloadable content," said Dusty Welch, Head of Publishing, RedOctane. "We believe there is no better title to feature micro-transactions than a music game like Guitar Hero II, where the content is the basis of your experience. The relationship with the Xbox Live Marketplace creates endless possibilities for exclusive content."

Prototype 360 controller:

guitar-hero-2-20060927112623964.jpg

Well, it looks like I may end up getting a 360 now.

Songs In GH2:

1. Opening Licks

* "Shout at the Devil" - Mötley Crüe
* "Mother" - Danzig
* "Surrender" - Cheap Trick
* "Woman" - Wolfmother
* "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight" - Spınal Tap

2. Amp-Warmers

* "Strutter" - KISS
* "Heart-Shaped Box" - Nirvana
* "Message in a Bottle" - The Police
* "You Really Got Me" - Van Halen
* "Carry On Wayward Son" - Kansas

3. String-Snappers

* "Monkey Wrench" - Foo Fighters
* "Them Bones" - Alice in Chains
* "Search and Destroy" - Iggy Pop and The Stooges
* "Tattooed Love Boys" - The Pretenders
* "War Pigs" - Black Sabbath

4. Thrash and Burn

* "Cherry Pie" - Warrant
* "Who Was in My Room Last Night?" - Butthole Surfers
* "Girlfriend" - Matthew Sweet
* "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" - The Rolling Stones
* "Sweet Child O' Mine" - Guns N' Roses

5. Return of the Shred

* "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine
* "John the Fisherman" - Primus
* "Freya" - The Sword
* "Bad Reputation" - Thin Lizzy
* "Last Child" - Aerosmith

6. Relentless Riffs

* "Crazy on You" - Heart
* "Trippin' On a Hole in a Paper Heart" - Stone Temple Pilots
* "Rock This Town" - Stray Cats
* "Jessica" - The Allman Brothers Band
* "Stop!" - Jane's Addiction

7. Furious Fretwork

* "Madhouse" - Anthrax
* "Carry Me Home" - The Living End
* "Laid to Rest" - Lamb of God
* "Psychobilly Freakout" - The Reverend Horton Heat
* "YYZ" - Rush

8. Face-Melters

* "Beast and the Harlot" - Avenged Sevenfold
* "Institutionalized" - Suicidal Tendencies
* "Misirlou" - Dick Dale
* "Hangar 18" - Megadeth
* "Free Bird" - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Bonus tracks

* "Arterial Black" - Drist
* "Collide" - Anarchy Club
* "Elephant Bones" - That Handsome Devil
* "Fall of Pangea" - Valient Thorr
* "FTK" - Vagiant
* "Gemini" - Brian Kahanek
* "Jordan" - Buckethead
* "Laughtrack" - The Acro-brats
* "Less Talk More Rokk" - Freezepop
* "The Light that Blinds" - Shadows Fall
* "Mr. Fix-it" - The Amazing Royal Crowns
* "The New Black" - Every Time I Die
* "One for the Road" - Breaking Wheel
* "Parasite" - The Neighborhoods
* "Push Push (Lady Lightning)" - Bang Camaro
* "Radium Eyes" - Count Zero
* "Raw Dog" - The Last Vegas (Winner of the "Be a Guitar Hero" Contest)
* "Red Lottery" - Megasus
* "Six" - All That Remains
* "Soy Bomb" - Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives
* "Thunderhorse" - Dethklok
* "Trogdor" - Strong Bad
* "The X-Stream" - Voivod
* "Yes We Can" - Made in Mexico

/sig
The+Rabid+Llama.png
Rabid_Llama on

• Options
    FreakinchairFreakinchair Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Huzzah!

Freakinchair on
    I'd construct a situation such that everyone died at the exact same moment so that we could attack whatever afterlife there happens to be en masse and so take it over and create a perfect unending afterlife existence. Also, everyone who wanted one would have an afterlife pony.
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you get the game at Best Buy, you can also pick up a Wayne's World DVD (dunno if you can pick 1 or 2). And allegedly, if you get the game at Circuit City, you get a GH2 beanie or some kind of hat and a sunburst decal.

And I wish "For those about to rock" would have fit in the subject title. I honestly woke up this morning with that song in my head because I knew today I'd be getting this game!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    trogdor lol.

KKprofit on
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Psychobilly Freakout is so much harder than Beast and the Harlot and Institutionalized. No clue why Beast and Harlot belongs in the top tier...

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Find me a youtube video of guitar hero 2 that doesn't feature the comment "whoever is playing this sux".

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    jmdbcooljmdbcool Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Is this the new thread?

It is the new thread!

It's Nov. 7th-- why don't I have this game yet?

jmdbcool on
    dragons2.jpgdragon-sig-edge.gif
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    My PRE-Order won't be here until tomorrow.

Because by PRE-Ordering it I apparently indicated to Red Octane that I really don't want the game that much.

Bastards.

_J_ on
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Not sure how you ordered it, but I got the bundle with the game, controller, and gig bag (despite already having 2 controllers from the previous game) with free shipping (google'd a code) from RedOctane.com and it is arriving today (in Chicago).

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    "Not sure how you ordered it, but I got the bundle with the game, controller, and gig bag (despite already having 2 controllers from the previous game) with free shipping (google'd a code) from RedOctane.com and it is arriving today (in Chicago)."

I got the game, controller, t-shirt bundle and ordered the 2 controller carrying case. I live in Northern Indiana and it won't be here till tomorrow.

So hell if I know what happenened. On what date was yours shipped? Mine was shipped on 11/2/06.

Apparently it is sitting in HODGKINS, IL.

_J_ on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    My Fred Meyer told me they'd have it out at 7am. They'd better not be lying.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How much is just the game by itself? Tell me 30$ or 40$.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    $49.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Uriel wrote:
    $49.
    Those bastards.
    Wanting to make money if there great game.
    Bastards.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My coworker and I who ordered the exact same thing had ours shipped on the first. It looks like it is just a case of them trying to ship out as many as possible all at the same time. Ours was chilling in Hodgkins yesterday. I wish I could give you mine for a day since I will be busy with Gears of War and probably won't get to crack this sucker open until later this week.
    _J_ wrote:
    "Not sure how you ordered it, but I got the bundle with the game, controller, and gig bag (despite already having 2 controllers from the previous game) with free shipping (google'd a code) from RedOctane.com and it is arriving today (in Chicago)."

I got the game, controller, t-shirt bundle and ordered the 2 controller carrying case. I live in Northern Indiana and it won't be here till tomorrow.

So hell if I know what happenened. On what date was yours shipped? Mine was shipped on 11/2/06.

Apparently it is sitting in HODGKINS, IL.

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    A Pox on Hodgkins, IL.....after they ship my game.

A POX, I say!

_J_ on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I will not stop playing this game until I unlock Trogdor. Then I will just play that for three hours.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited November 2006
    I have to work from noon 'til 7:00 today.

I have to go buy the game from the mall just before then, then bring it to work with me.

I have to sit at work for seven hours with the box just lying beside me.

I will go insane.

Menace on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm going to leave campus early today to pick up my copy, and then I may very well play until midnight.

I can't wait.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Menace wrote:

I have to go buy the game from the mall just before then, then bring it to work with me.

I will go insane.
    I'm in a similar situation; I'm going to buy it on my lunch break (man, I love being in Manhattan) but then it's going to sit next to me at work in my cube and on the bus ride home. I probably won't get to crack it open until 8 p.m.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited November 2006
    Lunker wrote:
    Menace wrote:

I will go insane.
    I'm in a similar situation; I'm going to buy it on my lunch break (man, I love being in Manhattan) but then it's going to sit next to me at work in my cube and on the bus ride home. I probably won't get to crack it open until 8 p.m.

Well, at least I'm not alone.

Edit: I may not be able to resist the urge to open it up and play the controller, even though it won't be plugged into anything. Airguitar ++.

Menace on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I took tomorrow off work.

So I will be sitting by the door, like a tiny little child person, as I wait for the UPS man to arrive with my game.

It will be delightful.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:c7efbdc6c2]TROGDOOOOOOOOOR!![/spoiler:c7efbdc6c2]

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Anyone know if the guitar coming in GH2 is just the 2nd gen SG with a new coat of paint, or are there supposed to be other improvements, too?

Ballman on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I decided to skip out on GH2 for now, considering I'm already in over my head with FF12, and I want to finish it before the Wii+Zelda get here but damn... knowing that I could go out and buy it today... there's this little voice in my head crying "Come on!! I wanna ROCK!" And then there's Wallet telling me "You don't need GH2 right now, you're already spending a lot of money, and you've got plenty of gaming for the upcoming weeks!"

The voices are fighting in my head ahhhh!!!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Goddamnit...

Fred Meyer has the game now...but without the guitar. :|

Fuckers. They said they should get some copies with the guitar in later today...

D:

Do I get it now and assure I can rock out after work or do I check after work and hope they did get the guitar copies in...? Fuck. Cause I know I'll never get another guitar unless I buy one with the game...but I want to make sure I get the game...

Legacy on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Listening to that Made in Mexico track I'm afraid to say I think it's going to get a similar reaction to Farewell Myth from most :lol:

I quite like them as a band, from what I've heard, but picking them for two Guitar Hero games? Bold.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    Listening to that Made in Mexico track I'm afraid to say I think it's going to get a similar reaction to Farewell Myth from most :lol:
    noooooosmzq4.jpg

Dear god, I hated that song. I'll give the new one a fair go, but I'm also quite content with 5-starring it and then pretending it doesn't even exist, like I do with Farewell Myth.

Lunker on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    On an almost related topic, I just learned that this saturday in Montreal there's a show with the Minibosses, Freezepop, and Touchboy. (I have no idea who Touchboy is tho).

I think I might go see it!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I skipped buying a PS2 and got an XBox back in the day. (I don't play console games very much so it was never really an issue.) But yesterday my PSX died while playing FFT. And two days ago I ordered FFAnthology to play FFV (yes I've also passed on the DS).

So this morning I went out to pick up a PS2, and while there grabbed GH2.

Wow. My hand is cramped and my fingertips are raw from playing for like 3 hours now. Going to require some serious hand conditioning to take on anything beyond medium without numbing pain it seems.

Only complaint is the ridge on the middle button is a bit too prominent, it causes more fingertip irritation than it would if it was smoothed down a bit. No need to be three feet off the button.

Oh, and it's lame that the guitar has to be plugged into the first controller port to play one player. Having to swap back and forth is a pain in the ass.

Awesome game though. Now I have to get the first one to play some Pantera.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    BottlesBottles Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Damn you, damn you all. Britain doesn't get this until the 24th.

To make matters worse, I went into my local Gamestation today, and they had a ten-song demo. Which I played until I stopped. I've now got the chorus of 'Strutter' repeating in my head, and I can't play it for weeks. Curses.

Bottles on
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited November 2006
    FightTest wrote:
    Oh, and it's lame that the guitar has to be plugged into the first controller port to play one player. Having to swap back and forth is a pain in the ass.

GH2 should be the only thing in your PS2 for weeks, so this should not be a problem.

Menace on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Eating cereal. After that, I am questing for GH2.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I guess I'm going to wait until after work. They'd better get their guitar versions in by then. And still have one available... D: Wish me luck.

Legacy on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    goddamn Gamefly

I had my que all set up for GH2. Clicked 'keep it' on FFXII just in time as GH2 went on available: "now" and it sat there for a fucking day and now it is "short wait".

I emptied my que of all things except GH2, they better fucking ship it.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just picked mine up. Here goes nothing!!

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So the Best Buy by my office has it in stock; looks like I'l be strolling over on my lunch break and carting a suspicious-looking box back into my cubicle. :D And I can watch Wayne's World while waiting for work to end (it's slow, and I brought my laptop with me); best of both worlds!

In other news: TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Lunker on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You lucky bastards. I could buy it, but I'd rather have people be able to buy it for me for either my birthday (the 23rd) or Christmas.

Eh, I can wait. Not because I don't want it of course...

Because I'm hardcore.

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, I recently found the 10-song demo at an EB while window shopping this weekend. We were very tired and hungry, but we stopped and played anyway. That's just how we roll. :)

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Jacoby wrote:
    You lucky bastards. I could buy it, but I'd rather have people be able to buy it for me for either my birthday (the 23rd) or Christmas.

Eh, I can wait. Not because I don't want it of course...

Because I'm hardcore.

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, I recently found the 10-song demo at an EB while window shopping this weekend. We were very tired and hungry, but we stopped and played anyway. That's just how we roll. :)
    Hell, my birthday was in August, and I've had $75 in Best Buy gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, but I've actively been saving them specifically for GH2. Few situations have ever tested my willpower to that degree.

Lunker on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    FightTest wrote:
    Only complaint is the ridge on the middle button is a bit too prominent, it causes more fingertip irritation than it would if it was smoothed down a bit. No need to be three feet off the button.

This is why I can't stand in-store demos.

My personal guitar has had the yellow nub rubbed down from so much use that it's there, but only slightly. and it's not painful. =)

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    so report on the practice mode anyone?

is it helping?

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
This discussion has been closed.