As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Japanimation] Quarantine Thread

Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!!Cambridge. MAModerator mod
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is where sad grown-ups discuss cartoons intended for Japanese children.

Wqdwp8l.png
Irond Will on

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This thread is to be about the discussion of anime, sometimes referred to weeaboo. Anime in this discussion refers to animated shows originating in Japan, as well as shows similar in style to that of animation from Japan. In this opening post, I will discuss three possible topics of discussion the following posts will have. There will be talks of anime come and gone, the next season of anime, and of clawshrimpy.

First, the following posts may contain anime come and gone. In a previous thread, there have been posts discussing Macross Frontier. This is a series that has recently concluded. People interested in the show may inquire about the show, as well as the implications of watching other series in the Macross cannon beforehand. There may also be posts discussing anime people are currently watching, or shows they have seen previously.

Second, there may be posts about the upcoming season of anime. The preview list of anime premiering in the winter season was recently released. As seen in
    the past, when a preview list is released, people may post speculation as to what they will watch when the season begins. As time progresses and the season begins, people will continue to post about these shows. These posts can be categorized as discussion on shows come and gone.

Lastly, ClawShrimpy. ClawShirmpy is a fan of anime who is very vocal about his opinion. As opinions differ among people, there are many debates sparked and sustained by ClawShrimpy's views. The topics discussed are all anime centric, and because of this, to not stray from the topic of this thread.

Again, this is a thread about anime. I have covered three examples of topics that can be discussed in this thread, such as anime come and gone, upcoming anime, and ClawShrimpy. Note that there may be other topics discussed in here, but realize that they are all related to anime. Anime is a vast and varied subject, and examples of possible posts cannot all be contained within this opening post. In conclusion, I hope we can all post about anime in this thread. Thank you for your time.
    If you missed fall or winter, it's there, and here's a possible next year spring lineup.
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Interesting. I found an image of some more shows showing in Spring.
    1226189694939.jpg
    Going from left to right, I see (Seems I suck at identifying stuff):

FMA, Slayers, Hetalia Axis Powers, ?, ?, Winter Sonata, ?, ?, Guin Saga(?), Haruhi(!?), Hayate no Gotoku, ?, ?, Tales of, ?, Spice & Wolf, Asura Klein, ? (seems familiar), Basara, ?, Shangri-la(?), ?, Umineko, The Girl Who Leapt Through Space, Black Lagoon, Minami-ke, Hatsuoki Limited, Tenchi Muyo(?).

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Continuations of discussions of animation from Japan goes in this thread.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So how bout that Basquash?

Godfather on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    So how bout that Basquash?

Looks rather interesting. Has there been other info besides the preview, such as when it will air? I don't recall seeing it in the list of shows for next season, so I'm thinking it won't be until April at least.

Slicer on
  • Options
    QuentinQuentin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    To return to the Last Order discussion, the means by which Alita returns is pretty crazy, and you haven't seen madness until you've seen the Venusians' seeded Z.O.T.T. team.

Quentin on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As far as I know it's just this trailer:

http://www.catsuka.com/player.php?id=basquash_trailer

The basketball cars are starting to grow on me, if only because they're so ridiculously silly.

Godfather on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Surprise thread locks are always fun.

...damnit I forgot what I was in the middle of typing when it was locked.

Oh, right. I was all excited by imagining a Battle Angel anime and how awesome it would be, but now the buzz got killed.

Falx on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quentin wrote: »
    To return to the Last Order discussion, the means by which Alita returns is pretty crazy, and you haven't seen madness until you've seen the Venusians' seeded Z.O.T.T. team.
    HEH! Obvious spoilers about this. Volume 10... 11-ish.
    Cat-lita. Powered by a black hole engine. Crushing Mbadi's hand like it was nothing!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I want to complain about spoilers, but after a year I don't remember if what Quentin's saying is in the past or in upcoming volumes (10 uncluded)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

The basketball cars are starting to grow on me, if only because they're so ridiculously silly.

Yeah, they're interesting.

The CG isn't completely horrible, either, unlike some studios that use CG for their mechs (coughGonzocough).

Slicer on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    I want to complain about spoilers, but after a year I don't remember if what Quentin's saying is in the past or in upcoming volumes (10 uncluded)

I'm not even looking at it, I'm avoiding reading ahead online. I'm sure it is great though, Yukito doesn't often let us down in that regard.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    kdrudy wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »

I'm not even looking at it, I'm avoiding reading ahead online. I'm sure it is great though, Yukito doesn't often let us down in that regard.
    Pretty much why I want to rush to the store and read it as soon as possible. I know what I consider a spoiler is a lot more strict than what others consider one.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh noooooooooooooo, now DarkPrimus will never see our questions! :(

Arminas on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Falx wrote: »

Oh, right. I was all excited by imagining a Battle Angel anime and how awesome it would be, but now the buzz got killed.

You mean another Battle Angel anime?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Honestly, I wish people would just admit that they enjoy watching shows written for Japanese children instead of trying to rationalize it. Yes, shows like Naruto and Bleach are intended for 13 year olds. And most of the more mature series you like were probably written for 16 year olds. It's okay, you're posting on a forum about video games, nobody holds it against you.

Zek on
  • Options
    LavenlianLavenlian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

The glowing, robot sized kicks are sweet.

Lavenlian on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Revisiting it wouldn't be too bad an idea, it has been long enough since the initial attempt. I mean imagine a good series starting right at the beginning and telling it all, I probably wouldn't need another anime to watch ever again, it would make me so happy. I would give much for an animated Desty Nova.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Revisiting it wouldn't be too bad an idea, it has been long enough since the initial attempt. I mean imagine a good series starting right at the beginning and telling it all, I probably wouldn't need another anime to watch ever again, it would make me so happy. I would give much for an animated Desty Nova.
    Yeah, I picked it up on a used VHS somewhere for like, 2 bucks, and really enjoyed it. It had like, 2-3 little halfhour ish episodes and I thought it was a shame that was all their was. I've never seen the manga or anything.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yeah. The first OVA kind of sucked. I'm guessing it was made not long after the manga was at that point in the story? Now's a great time to give it another go, though. The first season can cover the first series up until the branching off point, then the second season can cover Last Order, however long that one goes for.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I started One Piece 4/5 days ago, and I'm already finished with the Crocodile arc.

Owwwww.....

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

They look like CGI versions of MegasXLR, though they need more flaming 8-ball decals 8-)

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The robots are ugly. Ugly ugly ugly. The other stuff isn't.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Coming back to Tytania, I enjoy Fan Hyulick's theme A LOT. Every time it plays in the anime it's all "Fan Hyulick is doing something awesome" but then he just sits there and does nothing.

Also he is a genius. And a Space Bum.

Oh and I totally want him to lead a fleet or something again and be all "I do THIS" and then one of the Tytania lords goes D: and there's a big space "fabulous".

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh my God is this an anime about giant robots playing basketball

Oh my God

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lol, what's going on with the thread title?

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    I started One Piece 4/5 days ago, and I'm already finished with the Crocodile arc.

Owwwww.....

So how'd ya like round three?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Oh my God is this an anime about giant robots playing basketball

Oh my God

And then there's the basketball NINJA.

...This is simultaneously the best and worst thing I've ever seen. Is it out yet?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Lol, what's going on with the thread title?
    Last edited by ElJeffe : Today at 11:37 AM.

The OP is probably different since it actually states who edited it, whereas every other time it was a hidden edit. Or it's there so that I won't edit it, and leave the "last edited by" message there. In which case, the plans working, and I apparently like little boys. Third option being Irond Will likes to cover his tracks and ElJeffe doesn't care either way.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The title needs to be longer and more insulting I say.

[Weaboo] discussion of cartoons written for Japanese children by grown men with basements full of pvc animu girl statues and shame.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've mentioned this before, but:

NEW BLACK LAGOON IN SPRING 8-)

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of spring shows, it's been mentioned here that the FMA anime has officially gotten the date of april, right?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm reading the One Piece manga, and I was curious upon hearing of a sequence in the anime with dvorak's 9th symphony.

At what point in the anime is that-is it before or after Water 7?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ergandar wrote: »
    I'm reading the One Piece manga, and I was curious upon hearing of a sequence in the anime with dvorak's 9th symphony.

I just got to that point, it's the final part of the Crocodile fight.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Thetheroo wrote: »

Owwwww.....

So how'd ya like round three?

I know the feeling. I don't remember exactly how long it took me to rewatch the entire series (sans non-G8 filler) when I did it a few months ago, but it wasn't more than a month, so I must've been averaging at least 10-15 episodes a day. Once you start watching episodes, it's very hard to stop.

Cantide on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

BAM!

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    The title needs to be longer and more insulting I say.

[Weaboo] discussion of cartoons written for Japanese children by grown men with basements full of pvc animu girl statues and shame.

This thread... it was made for me!

drr drr drr...

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    darunia106 wrote: »

BAM!

That is really rad, I never saw that.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    More mod shenanigans, more!

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I, for one, enjoy watching cartoons written for Japanese children. I am not ashamed of this fact. This doesn't mean I volunteer such information, of course - my power level is kept thoroughly suppressed.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Jesuits wrote: »
    I, for one, enjoy watching cartoons written for Japanese children. I am not ashamed of this fact. This doesn't mean I volunteer such information, of course - my power level is kept thoroughly suppressed.

In a perfect world, this would be the thread title.

juice for jesus on
This discussion has been closed.