As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brutal Legend: Buy it, it's awesome.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's an interview with Tim Schafer here if anyone's interested. Doesn't say too much new stuff about the game, it's more about its development and reactions to it and stuff.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is that sarcasm?

Because a special guitar model only available in game is a pretty shitty pre-order bonus, if you ask me. If EA follows pattern, you'll be able to buy it as DLC a month or two after release anyway.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I love Tenacious D

That guitar is way cooler than the one you actually get

I'm sick of getting T-shirts

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I dig the D too, as any intelligent person should.

I just think an unlock code for a set of textures already on the disc is a lousy bonus. Skate 2 came with a t-shirt and special textures.

xzzy on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wait wait wait.

According to that blog, the guitar comes with new voice-over work from Jack Black AND Kyle Gass.

Which gives me hope that there's Tenacious D stuff in the game itself.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    But it's so much more!

"Forged by the evil geniuses at Double Fine in close collaboration with Jack Black and Kyle Gass of Tenacious D, this amazing piece of badness will feature an entirely new and different suite of effects – not only a unique, sexy body inspired by the members of Tenacious D (OMG look at that screenshot), but new sound effects, new voice over work from Jack Black and Kyle Gass, a new visual effects suite, and new geeky technical stuff like unique textures, materials and shaders – trust us, it’s going to rule very, very hard."

I'm guessing some of the riffs you play will be Tenacious D inspired, maybe with Jack and Kyle singing along or something,

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you read the story you'd realize it's a lot more than just the guitar model.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes, you are a hero for pointing out I did not itemize every feature they're putting in. Good work.

Doesn't change my opinion, I still think it's a crappy bonus.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Man, most pre-order bonuses end up sucking.

This, this I can actually use.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    Yes, you are a hero for pointing out I did not itemize every feature they're putting in. Good work.

Doesn't change my opinion, I still think it's a crappy bonus.

To be fair, the other stuff DOES make it more interesting than just some dull texture swap.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    and its a different model

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Prediction: the preorder guitar is sentient, voiced by KG.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh my fucking god yes, I want that.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Prediction: the preorder guitar is sentient, voiced by KG.

Oh man, if only.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "pssst. Hey, Eddie. Pluck my g-string."

But in all seriousness, I hope that when you use different "spells", each one will be to the tune of a different D song, along with heavenly singing from JB and KG.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    More impressions on Brutal Legend's gameplay, this time talking more about gameplay with controlling your army. It sounds like these sections play like a heavy metal Pikmin mashed up with Dynasty Warriors, which is really a tantalizing phrase when you mull it over for a few moments.
    Brutal Legend's more strategic side was the subject of a recent demo led by Tim Schafer. He guided us through some of the troop-command elements of the game, something we saw a little bit of in our most recent look. Basically, Eddie has liberated a legion of headbanging teenagers and recruited them into his army as part of his quest to save this alternate world from demonic control. Eddie's most immediate enemy is General Lionwhyte, a glam rocker with "hair so fabulous he can fly on it." At various points in the game, you'll need to stage large-scale battles with troops of varying classes against Lionwhyte's own army.

You'll take your army of headbangers and runaways and guide them around the battlefield using basic squad commands, such as go, follow, and stay. As they fight opposing troops (characters who happen to look and behave just like yours, only with glam metal outfits), you can run along and fight on your own using the trusty battle-axe for melee combat and your magical guitar, Clementine, for ranged warfare. If you want to get fancy, you can also perform double-team attacks where you interact with your troops for added effectiveness. There's one attack where headbangers put you in the middle of their mosh circle to keep you protected and another where a runaway will sit on your shoulder and fire flaming arrows lit by a lighter you hold above your head in true metal fashion.

The end goal is to destroy the opposing base. On the path to victory you'll run into a few more obstacles besides enemy troops. One we were shown was the fan leech, which is a giant monster who drains all the fans in your area to keep you from spawning new troops. With a proper mix of troop management and good old-fashioned brawling mayhem, you should be able to power your way to victory.

Based on our previous looks at Brutal Legend, these strategic sections of the game should be a fun alternative to the basic brawling and vehicle-based combat that make up the bulk of the gameplay. If you're worried that it will veer too far into real-time strategy territory, don't be. What we saw looks just as accessible as the more straightforward action bits, but with just as much of a sense of humor driving it all. We'll have more on Brutal Legend in the very near future, so stay tuned.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just came in here to post about that last bit Lunker said.

They were talking about this on yesterday's Giant Bombcast and I don't know, now my interest in Brutal Legend has kind of died down. RTS is pretty much the only genre I specifically hate, I really never thought I'd see the day where it was interfering with a good action game experience.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think genre bending has been overlooked for too long, and am glad to see games introducing it. Obviously all the components have to be done "right", but that's true for any game.

It'll be nice to have FPS on one side, and RTS on the other, and somewhere in the middle is a happy medium.

xzzy on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You guys need to play Battlezone 2 then. And Pikmin.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Seriously. Battlezone 2 is a delight and a third. So long as the soldiers do the bare minimum needed to keep them from being a nuisance to control it is totally fine.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cantido wrote: »

I've played Pikmin.

I don't like it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cantido wrote: »

I've played Pikmin.

I don't like it.

Did you like the squad gameplay in San Andreas?

I'm still excited to see this game, because if nothing else you've got Tim Schaefer and Jack Black being hilarious.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just came in here to post about that last bit Lunker said.

They were talking about this on yesterday's Giant Bombcast and I don't know, now my interest in Brutal Legend has kind of died down. RTS is pretty much the only genre I specifically hate, I really never thought I'd see the day where it was interfering with a good action game experience.

From the impression I got, it's not like the entire game is strictly RTS. It seems like this is kind of an interspersed mode used for certain battles, and the rest of the game is more of a direct-control kind of thing. I really don't like Pikmin either, but at least with this kind of play you still have control over your character.

In all, though, if the writing is as amazing as I expect it to be, this will be the kind of game that you play through in spite of the gameplay; it's incidental to the full experience. I don't think most people loved Psychonauts because it was an amazing platformer.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    I don't think most people loved Psychonauts because it was an amazing platformer.

It was a tedious collectathon topped only by Donkey Kong 64. Though, I did enjoy the mostly-unlimited use of psychic powers.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Motherfucking YES.

Brütal Thoughts with Jack Black: Part 1.

I enjoy that "Coming this Rocktober" is actually part of the marketing pitch.

Lunker on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Motherfucking YES.

Brütal Thoughts with Jack Black: Part 1.

I enjoy that "Coming this Rocktober" is actually part of the marketing pitch.

Nice.

Also, about the troop commanding...it sounds more like Overlord than it does a bona-fide RTS. I imagine those who don't like RTS games won't be as intimidated by it than it sounds on paper.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I might have been wrong on the Overlord reference, but anyway...

BL has it's own e3 website...http://e3.brutallegend.com/

Also, that page has a contest to win a guitar modeled, if I'm reading it right, exactly like the pre-order bonus guitar.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ACTUAL GAMEPLAY MOTHERFUCKERS

CAN YOU DIG IT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XNgSGtEsw4

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can dig it.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    *hi5*

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Every time I get more information about this game, I just want to cry from pure joy. And then go do something badass.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tim schafer seems like such a nice guy.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man this game is gonna be awesome.

edit: man this interviewer is bad

tofu on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oooooh. It just keeps getting better and better!

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    Man this game is gonna be awesome.

edit: man this interviewer is bad
    The guy is sitting in front of Tim Schafer and weapons-grade concentrated digital rock.

I would be a gibbering idiot, too.

Monger on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Activision filed a lawsuit against Double Fine to prevent the release of Brutal Legend.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/04/activision-sues-double-fine-over-brutal-legend/

I am filled with rage.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    Activision filed a lawsuit against Double Fine to prevent the release of Brutal Legend.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/04/activision-sues-double-fine-over-brutal-legend/

I am filled with rage.

...again?

Quoting again EA's awesome response:
    That would be like a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better looking guy

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You can't kill the metal
    The metal will live on
    Punk-Rock tried to kill the metal
    But they failed, as they were smite to the ground
    New-wave tried to kill the metal
    But they failed, as they were stricken down to the ground
    Grunge tried to kill the metal Ha,hahahahaha
    They failed, as they were thrown to the ground
    Aargh! yaow!

No-one can destroy the metal
    The metal will strike you down with a vicious blow
    We are the vanquished foes of the metal
    We tried to win for why we do not know

New-wave tried to destroy the metal, but the metal had its way
    Grunge then tried to dethrone the metal, but metal was in the way
    Punk-rock tried to destroy the metal, but metal was much too strong
    Techno tried to defile the metal, but techno was proven wrong
    Yea!

Metal!
    It comes from hell!

Lunker on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Igpx407 wrote: »

I am filled with rage.

...again?

Quoting again EA's awesome response:
    That would be like a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better looking guy

It's not quite again, it's Activision beefing up its threats with legal filings.

Still, what an odd dick move. I mean, if Activision had so much invested in it and wanted it back, why didn't they, y'know, release the damn thing? (Besides the fact that it doesn't fit into their new and official strategy to only release mega-huge games that can be sequelled to death.)

Then again this is just a strategy to delay the game and prevent someone else from making money.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293