As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Girl at liquor store

robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So there's this girl at this liquor store I ... uh.. frequent. I typically go there every weekend because I like beer on my days off and I typically end up in that area anyway.

Said girl there that is really cute and I would really like to get her number. I just don't know quite how to do so tactfully. I mean, it's a fucking liquor store. I can't imagine how many weird guys hit on the girls there.

I haven't really had any chance to make small talk with her. I can't think of anything that wouldn't be weird. I think I'm too hung up on the fact that it's a liquor store. I don't want to look like an alcholic, but I seriously start to go there just because she's there.

It doesn't help that I'm not that experienced with this kind of stuff in general either. But everytime I see her there she has this ear to ear grin on her face.

So, uh.. any suggestions?

Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
robotbebop on

• Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whatever you do, do it sober.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ask her out, then.

Have you noticed anything that she likes to wear often (i.e. a button for a band, a t-shirt for a TV show, etc.) that you know anything about? If so, perhaps use that as an opening. If only to actually have a chat with her. She's probably of legal drinking age (at least I believe most areas require that for handling liquor) so maybe ask if she has any recommendations for a new brand to try?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TaGuelleTaGuelle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well if she knows anything about booze you can ask for her help choosing something and then turn the conversation to anything else. You could try introducing yourself by saying "I see you often, might as well say hi" but not in such a blunt way. You could even make a joke about your "alcoholism" to break the ice. Just try and start a conversation. If you see a drunk idiot, ask "do you deal with them a lot?". If she thinks your cute, yada yada, it won't be awkward or at least she'll laugh or readily converse.

TaGuelle on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    robotbebop wrote: »
    So there's this girl at this liquor store I ... uh.. frequent. I typically go there every weekend because I like beer on my days off and I typically end up in that area anyway.

Said girl there that is really cute and I would really like to get her number. I just don't know quite how to do so tactfully. I mean, it's a fucking liquor store. I can't imagine how many weird guys hit on the girls there.

I haven't really had any chance to make small talk with her. I can't think of anything that wouldn't be weird. I think I'm too hung up on the fact that it's a liquor store. I don't want to look like an alcholic, but I seriously start to go there just because she's there.

It doesn't help that I'm not that experienced with this kind of stuff in general either. But everytime I see her there she has this ear to ear grin on her face.

"Listen, no offense, but if I keep buying beer every time I want to talk to you, I'm going to have to check into a rehab. Let me get you're number and we'll hang out sometime."

If you think she'll get the joke, say "grab a beer this weeken- shit, see what I mean?" instead of "hang out sometime"

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Don't do anything too risky.

Awk on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Start making small talk when you go in there.

You can slowly break the ice over a few visits, and when you feel you are talking on a bit more than a proffesional level, you can ask for her number

If she gives you her real number, I've always wanted to try "Oh wow, this is your real number? I was looking forward to pizza"
    But that is irrelevant

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just ask her if she wants to do something casual, like coffee. She will say yes or she will say no, and that will be that; if she says yes, great. If she says no, you're not any worse off than you are now, and there are plenty of other girls out there.

There's nothing to lose here, so go for it.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Awk wrote: »

Eh, fuck it. You don't have to be stupid, but you might as well be bold, the worst that can happen is she'll say no.

SammyF on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    robotbebop wrote: »

"Listen, no offense, but if I keep buying beer every time I want to talk to you, I'm going to have to check into a rehab. Let me get you're number and we'll hang out sometime."

If you think she'll get the joke, say "grab a beer this weeken- shit, see what I mean?" instead of "hang out sometime"

This. If you can deliver correctly, that's an excellent way to go about things.

Reckless on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Seriously, do that bit first. Especially if you're a regular that doesn't say much in the first place.

Rook on
  • Options
    bigpandabigpanda Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just a tip that I've been using that's worked well if you think you've got enough rapport built is to give her your phone and have her put her number into it. Then call her once she gives it back to you (while you're both standing there) so she's got your number too.

You could also text her and ask her who that attractive guy is that she's talking to.

The joke about wanting pizza would fit in great here if you've got a good, joking conversation going.

But seriously dude. Ask. Her. Out. You'll feel better for asking than regretting not.

bigpanda on
  • Options
    bigpandabigpanda Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rook wrote: »

Seriously, do that bit first. Especially if you're a regular that doesn't say much in the first place.

For a minute I misread Hunter's quote. I thought he said "smack" talk, not "small" talk and you were encouraging him. Time to get those new glasses.

bigpanda on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Honestly, asking her out without building any sort of rapport with her will probably catch her off guard. Start making small talk with her. Anything. Ask her if she has any beer recommendations or what her favorite drink is. Make witty remarks, anything to show that you aren't some kind of creeper. Do this for a few visits and if you two click (you'll know), ask her what she's doing after work or something like that.

Unless of course you are a very charming, attractive, and confident man, skip all that shit and ask for her number (but if you were, you'd already have it).

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    BrotherVoodooBrotherVoodoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tell us what happens...

BrotherVoodoo on
    13669_988031669590_13908669_57296127_2429910_n.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I use to work at a liquor store and a chick picked me up while I was working.

She would come in like 2 or 3 times a week and just make small talk as I rang her up. We started talking a little longer each time she came in. She started off with small talk and worked up to stuff that got me hooked into a conversation. After a bit she asked me when I had a break so we could talk more because we were having a good conversation. After that, I was putty in her hands.

So like Demerdar said, start with small talk.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What you should do is say "[girls name]? Hey, you're really cute. Wanna go out sometime?"

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OP, please just be realistic about your chances. If she's a cute girl working in a liquor store, she probably gets hit on all damn day by really unsavory guys. Demerdar is bang on that you need to build a rapport before you even attempt asking her out, because she probably reflexively says "no" to guys who bother her at work.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I agree that he has little chance here, but I'm not sure trying to "talk her up to it" for a couple weeks is really going to help. That kind of thinking usually leads to waiting, and waiting some more, and waiting some more... and could actually decrease his chances with the girl, if he builds it up too much in his mind and starts getting nervous.

I don't know, maybe he's the kind of guy who doesn't usually have confidence problems asking girls out, but I suspect he wouldn't have made this thread if that was the case.

So my advice is still just to ask her and get it over with. Very good chance she's going to shut you down, but again, you'll be no worse off--and that's the kind of habit a lot of guys need to build. And who knows, maybe she is attracted to you.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Terrible advice. Fortune favors the brave. Be funny, be cool. If you can, chat her up for a few weeks. If not, just asking her out could work too. Smile.

meeker on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    just be yourself. in the unlikely situation that this goes anywhere, acting different that you are will be readily apparently after a couple of dates. if you cant pick her up by acting the way you always do then you might be in trouble.

if you just treat her like you would any one else it will probably go over well since most dudes that find her attractive probably throw stupid lines at her all the time.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I work (my parents own, I help out) in a liquor store with some pretty girls. And as you said, there are a ton of creeps that hit on them. Your job is to not be mixed up with them. When you go in, buy repectable beer, something with class (by this, I mean stay away from Kokanee, Bud, Canadian, or any of the american counterparts). This shows that you're buying beer to enjoy it, not to get drunk. No one wants to date an alchoholic.

Also, when you make small talk, keep in mind that these ladies have heard all the guys (including and mostly involving creeps) say all the stupid one liners, and the stupid jokes that everyones heard before. So think of something inovative when talking to them.

I've seen a lot of respectable guys burn and crash because they all use the same lines (like the one mentioned above). Sure it might be suave in your mind, but her mind she's thinking "Oh god, not another one". Don't use a line on her, simply talk to her, and show that you're not a jerk or alchoholic.

Remembering, simply going in there to buy beer automatically gives you a label you have to overcome.

Orestes on
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You really think walking up to her with a cheesy one liner as suggested will land him a date?

Go with small talk, dont go off as too strong, and when the opportunity arises ask her out. Play it cool, youre in no rush.

Awk on
  • Options
    DibsDibs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I mean stay away from Kokanee, Bud, Canadian, or any of the american counterparts

What the hell?

OP: You've gotten the right advice in this thread - especially from the guy that got picked up by a girl. Witty small talk, followed by confidently asking her out on her break/when she gets off/sometime on the weekend.

Dibs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You really think walking up to her with a cheesy one liner as suggested will land him a date?

Go with small talk, dont go off as too strong, and when the opportunity arises ask her out. Play it cool, youre in no rush.

No, but I think confidence and a sense of humor will get him better results than pussy-footing around the matter with small talk about this crazy whether we're having or hey how about those Eagles? One liners are pretty much bullshit, and don't get me started with any of this nonsense you'll pick up in a book like (EDIT: I totally remembered there's a forum rule about mentioning this book--SEE THANATOS I READ THE RULES GET OFF MY BACK! :P). But in my experience I always got better results simply by being honest about what I wanted and amusing in my delivery. If you think she should say yes, why be timid?

SammyF on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    what's funny is there's a girl at a liquor store I frequent before my parties that is drop dead gorgeous. very thin and curvy girl who's got a very strong russian accent (love accents). I've been trying to get somewhere with this girl too and I gotta say, small talk is the easiest and best way to start something.

My suggestion is to ask if she ever parties or wants to party sometime or mention something about wanting her suggestion on some alcohol and then kinda going from there.

once you actually commit and do it, it's easy.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ask her if she likes to party? Are you serious?

...is this you?
    bret-michaels.jpg

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    no but, liquor denotes party of some kind. you are at a liquor store, in which to buy liquor. most likely before a party.

if it were a different place then the topic should be different. I don't mean literally asking "durrr do you like to party?"

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just want to pop in and let you guys know that I am reading the advice and taking it in, I'm hoping to be at the liquor store again this weekend.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't really think it's appropriate to ask people out while they're at work. I mean, the fact that they can't outright leave if things get awkward is sort of like being cornered.

Also, a cute girl surrounded by booze probably gets approached a lot, possibly to the point where male attention, no matter how well intentioned, is simply not welcome.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    no but, liquor denotes party of some kind. you are at a liquor store, in which to buy liquor. most likely before a party.

if it were a different place then the topic should be different. I don't mean literally asking "durrr do you like to party?"

Maybe you're just an alcoholic, or maybe you're just buying liquor for the underaged teenagers outside the store who are waiting for you.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    heh hardly. I'd go into this in good detail, but that's not the point of this thread.

the point is, confidence works wonders when you wouldn't think so otherwise. I've had success with things like this, and yes one time I had success because I asked a girl if she wanted to come party with my crew.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You live in Vermont though... and no offense or anything but I've only seen skiing and partying up there.

Now I'm not a chick, maybe Kate of Lewie's mum can chime in on this, but any variation of "do you want to party?" sounds way sketchy.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    honestly, you may be right. I only know what happens in VT and all. Asking people if they wanna party works pretty often. I met a ton of people over the summer that way and a good chunk of them are good friends now.

edit: if it's that bad to ask something along those lines in other areas, then just don't take my advice. I can only speak from my own experiences.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Geez. It's a bad sign when the folks from Florida think your state is too into partying to be taken seriously. :)

I'm not sure it's a regional thing or what--I think it's an individual thing. I'd never use a line like "do you like to party?" but I can think of one girl I went out with that it probably would have worked on (of course, I probably could have asked if she'd like to do a line of cocaine off my ass, too, which is why we don't date anymore). My current lady friend would probably have run for the hills from a line like that, though; our last three dates have included:

1. Going to an art gallery for an exhibit her cousin was curating.
    2. Making dinner together and watching really bad DVDs.
    3. Babysitting her friends' special needs children together.*

Needless to say: not a party girl. But she's pretty goddamned awesome.

Just ask her to do something you feel comfortable with and that you think she'd feel comfortable with--if she's interested she'll say yes, if not then you might not have been that good a match anyway. If that means asking her to go partying with you, that's fine. If that means coffee, that's fine. If that means babysitting special needs children together, stop hitting on my girlfriend.

*I know this sounds very are-you-in-highschool-or-something but I swear to God we're not.

SammyF on
  • Options
    lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "do you like to party" would be an instant turn off for me. Like I would start laughing at the guy asking. But then again I HATE partying. Whats wrong with just saying "hi, I've noticed you working here lots, I'm <name>"? Maybe shes noticed you too. If shes friendly back, ask her to coffee or something. Randomly getting hit on while working can be a pain, but if you have introduced yourself before its not as bad.

lizard eats flies on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "Do you like to party?" is often slang for "Do you do drugs?", mostly in reference to pot.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "Do you like to party" has been used by an old gay man who was trying get my phone number one time.

Smurph on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ok ok, don't use that line then. I suppose I'm a retard or whatever. Jesus.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ok ok, don't use that line then. I suppose I'm a retard or whatever. Jesus.
    Meh, different strokes for different folks. I go to a small college so "do you like to party?" is usually a great way to go about things.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you need something to get started with, you can always ask for an opinion on something they sell in the store. "I'm feeling like trying out something new tonight, what's your favorite?" It gets a conversation started and comes off appropriately casual.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857