As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FOOD THAT AMERICANS WON'T EAT

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    #pipe wrote: »
    I've never really been that into unflavored beef? I enjoy beef if it's in a pasta sauce or a stir fry or on a sandwich or whatever, but I don't really get what the big deal is with a big ole hunk of meat people always go crazy about. I'd rather have a turkey sandwich.
    Different cuts of beef have distinctive flavors, plus you can also add a spice rub which will make it even more tasty.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    one of my American friends is from LA but she grew up in Hong Kong and she now lives in Shanghai

anyway, we were at a Sichuan restaurant, and one of the dishes ordered is grilled shrimp on a stick, shells/heads and all

and she flipped out and was all WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT

and I looked at her like "are you fucking serious you grow up in Hong Kong and live in a coastal city in the US AND YOU DON'T KNOW A SHRIMP/PRAWN WHEN YOU SEE ONE"

and she's all "I've NEVER seen it with a a head and so many legs!"

I was AGHAST, gentlemen

AGHAST

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    steak is chewy and lacks any desirable flavor

Then learn to cook your steak.

EDIT: Also buy a good cut of steak not your $2.99 shit from the supermarket specials bin.

I don't cook my steak. I don't have any steak to cook.

But I've had steak many people rave about and I just don't see the appeal.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    one of my American friends is from LA but she grew up in Hong Kong and she now lives in Shanghai

anyway, we were at a Sichuan restaurant, and one of the dishes ordered is grilled shrimp on a stick, shells/heads and all

and I looked at her like "are you fucking serious you grow up in Hong Kong and live in a coastal city in the US AND YOU DON'T KNOW A SHRIMP/PRAWN WHEN YOU SEE ONE"

I was AGHAST, gentlemen

AGHAST

I always prefer my shellfish in one piece

Javen on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I was AGHAST, gentlemen

AGHAST
    has she been in like

a store

ever?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh man I love shrimp legs

the head always sorta bothered me though

YaYa on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bogey wrote: »
    I've never really been that into unflavored beef? I enjoy beef if it's in a pasta sauce or a stir fry or on a sandwich or whatever, but I don't really get what the big deal is with a big ole hunk of meat people always go crazy about. I'd rather have a turkey sandwich.
    Different cuts of beef have distinctive flavors, plus you can also add a spice rub which will make it even more tasty.

Oh I know

believe me, I've tried steaks. basically every time I go out with my brothers one of them will cram a forkful of top side or eye fillet into my mouth

it all tastes the same to me and it all tastes pointless

and I happily go back to my Alfredo.

#pipe on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Javen wrote: »

I was AGHAST, gentlemen

AGHAST

I always prefer my shellfish in one piece

I prefer mine shell-less generally, but only for convenience.

also you know, i fucking love raw oysters.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Last year I tried Skirt Steak for the first time. Oh my heck, I love it. When I found myself dogsitting in an otherwise empty house for a few weeks I made it a couple times along with a plate of pasta

At some point I am going to have the butcher get me the thinly sliced steak I need to cook my own cheesesteak

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cereal is good

i like that

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I was AGHAST, gentlemen

AGHAST
    That doesn't make any sense (as I'm sure you know)!

Maybe her only exposure was popcorn shrimp?

You should take her to a Teppan restaurant, that'll show her.

Bogey on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I was AGHAST, gentlemen

AGHAST

that is just weird

i thought whole shrimp was just normal

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bogey wrote: »

Oh I know

believe me, I've tried steaks. basically every time I go out with my brothers one of them will cram a forkful of top side or eye fillet into my mouth

it all tastes the same to me and it all tastes pointless

and I happily go back to my Alfredo.

God damn alfredo is good

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fucking Wagyu Beef.

Oh my God the best steak I ever had was a beautiful cut of Wagyu Beef at some posh restaurant.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fucking Wagyu Beef.

Oh my God the best steak I ever had was a beautiful cut of Wagyu Beef at some posh restaurant.

Which region?

Javen on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    jesus christ

i made the thread to expand people's food horizons

but you people haven't even been out of the proverbial food house in your own damn countries

why would we, with stuff like this lurking about!

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    i want some sort of curry stew right now

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fucking Wagyu Beef.

Which region?

You mean which cut?

I can't remember for the life of me, there were so many choices on the menu.

It wasn't the best cut, because that was $75, but it was a good mid-range one, around $45.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The one thing I do not understand is when I am at a restaurant and the prawns come out either unshelled or everything but the tail.

This is work.

If I buy them from the supermarket I cam prepared to shell them myself I have no problem with that.

But why are you bringing me a meal that you are not done with yet if you bring me something on a plate I should be able to just insert it directly into my mouth

Blake T on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh man now I'm dying for some steak

fuck you dudes

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    The one thing I do not understand is when I am at a restaurant and the prawns come out either unshelled or everything but the tail.

This is work.

If I buy them from the supermarket I cam prepared to shell them myself I have no problem with that.

But why are you bringing me a meal that you are not done with yet if you bring me something on a plate I should be able to just insert it directly into my mouth

have you ever eaten crab before?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh God Blaket nooo what have you done with your av.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    blake

BLAKE WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

Faricazy on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have an allergic reaction to seafood so it cuts me off from a big part of the culinary world. People go on Top Chef every week and make scallops and my only memory of them involves horrible vomiting

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    i could never eat tongue because it would be like i was makin out with a dead thing

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fiz wrote: »
    I have an allergic reaction to seafood so it cuts me off from a big part of the culinary world. People go on Top Chef every week and make scallops and my only memory of them involves horrible vomiting
    my friend is allergic to shellfish but eats them anyway

one time i made crab riceballs and he ate a whole bunch and then goes "fuckkkk", i ask what happened and he just stares at me until i remember he is allergic

ahaha

Faricazy on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's this Peruvian woman that looks after my sisters. I have learned a few things...first, Peruvian cuisine is fucking sepia-colored.

Second, she's always like "SI! ES EL TONGUE! ES GOOD! EAT! EAT!"

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fucking Wagyu Beef.

Which region?

There is a bar in a small town down south of here that sells it as a counter meal.

A bar.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fucking Wagyu Beef.

Which region?

You mean which cut?

It wasn't the best cut, because that was $75, but it was a good mid-range one, around $45.

No I mean which region

Japanese? American? Austrailian?

Each region raises their cattle differently, which makes a much bigger difference than which cut, or how it's cooked.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Projeck wrote: »
    i could never eat tongue because it would be like i was makin out with a dead thing
    a cooked dead thing

nom nom nom

lick

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

So what you're saying is that when you make out, you like to bite and chew the tongue?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

This is work.

have you ever eaten crab before?

At home all the time.

At restaurants? Don't think I have.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    peruvian food is EXTREMELY varied

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peruvian_cuisine

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    blake

BLAKE WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
    Oh God Blaket nooo what have you done with your av.

It was Vivienne's idea, she did it!

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    YaYa wrote: »
    oh man now I'm dying for some steak

fuck you dudes
    Guess what I'm making as a late dinner?

Should be done in 10 mins... *drool*

Bogey on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fucking Wagyu Beef.

Which region?

You mean which cut?

No I mean which region

Each region raises their cattle differently, which makes a much bigger difference than which cut, or how it's cooked.

Most Wagyu beef you get here is either Australian or Japanese

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fucking Wagyu Beef.

Which region?

You mean which cut?

No I mean which region

Oh. OH.

Australian.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fucking Wagyu Beef.

Which region?

You mean which cut?

No I mean which region

I found Wagu beef in the middle of shanghai grown like 500km down south of here.

It was very surreal.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    a cooked dead thing

nom nom nom

lick

yep

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    When I was in Orlando I had Wagyu beef for the first time

Japanese Kobe Tenderloin.

It was nothing short of religious.

Javen on