As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Possibly getting a cat... 2 Q's

hoodie13hoodie13 punch broRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So the missus and i are moving to a larger apartment, and were thinking about getting a cat. We'll adopt if possible, and we'll be getting one as young as possible. My questions are these:

1) i have allergies to them, but in my minor experiences recently they haven't been too bad. If we get a short hair cat, approximately how bad will they be?

2) how much money are we looking to put into the animal in the first month, if we aren't being cheap?

PSN: HoodieThirteen
XBL: Torn Hoodie
@hoodiethirteen
hoodie13 on

• Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KITTY!

Yay you are getting a kitty that is so awesome I need to congratulate your missus on talking you into it.

Now is the part where I actually contribute!

1. Allergies: no way of knowing how bad they'll be, I'm afraid. Get her to brush it regularly to keep dander and loose hair under control, and try not to let it lick you.

2. Expenses: I adopted Aleph this September, back when the dollar was pretty much at par. You can expect to pay somewhat less than this because shit is always more expensive in Canada, but...

Adoption fees: $150 (included spaying and vaccinations)
    First vet visit: $75 (general check-up, feline leukemia virus test)
    First batch of supplies: ~$125 (litter box, scoop, litter, food/water bowls, toys, food, bed)

Since then, I've probably spent another $100 on one-time items (cat tree, corner-mounted self-groomer, cat fountain, more toys). Her food runs me about $40 per month, I use Go! Natural grain-free dry food. Because you're living in the US, you can probably get everything you need for maybe $200-250 for the first month, depending on how high the adoption fees are and whether or not you can find a reasonably-priced vet.

I demand pictures once you get your kitty! Also, an awesome name is Ezekiel, because you could call him Zeke. Or maybe Belial, if you get one of those adorable little kittens that turn out to be raging dicks.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Your allergies will get progressively worse unless you spend a good amount of time hunting down loose hairs every day or you hire one of those government bio hazard teams to come in and sterilize your apartment every week. By the time it becomes bad enough to no longer tolerate you or your wife may be too attached to the cat to get rid of it.

Allergies don't ever seem that bad when you're just visiting someone with cats. It's when the stuff starts building up in your pillows, couches, carpets and sinuses to the point where you can't just vacuum it out that they become horrible.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Luck3ySe7enLuck3ySe7en The ROKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We have an orange tabby with fluffy long hair and she really doesnt shed much except on her butt pillow since she sleeps on it. Brushing them regularly will help keep their shedding around the house to a minimum. My brother who also has a minor allergy to pet hair wasnt really affected when he came over our house for the holidays. I dont know the tried and true answer but i think in my experience, short haired cats shed more and its harder to keep there hair contained. In the end, every cat is different and sheds differently. Getting them a little play area where they can scrath and sleep will keep them from shedding on the couch, bed, etc.

Luck3ySe7en on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There are some breeds of cat that are more hypoallergenic than others, but it doesn't always correlate to amount of hair. Their dander is a big factor. There are shampoos you can get, that you basically just put on a wet washcloth then wipe them down with it, every week or so. It is supposed to break up the allergy causing proteins in the dander or something. We used it when my wife's college roommate came to visit and it worked pretty well. She barely got stuffy after being there for 2-3 hours, when she usually nearly had an asthma attack after 20 minutes.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hair length doesn't really matter for allergies. The thing that matters most is actually the food -- a cat's fur quality is directly related to the quality of their diet. A cat with high quality food will have a softer coat, shed less, and spread less dander. Especially because the allergen is in their saliva.

Also, an allergy is an overreaction to something. Having your own cats will either cause your allergies to go nutso all the time, or you will get used to your own cat (as even if you try to keep them out of rooms, their dander&fur will be all over clothes and in the air, anyway).

I've got to head out, but consider two cats. They're not much more work than a single cat, and two young cats that play together will typically be more sociable towards people as well as less needy -- they won't demand as much attention from you, or require as much playtime, because they'll have each other to wrestle with. Same gender is useful, and getting two males at a young age is actually really fun, because they tend to be less territorial than females. It's also cheaper to get them neutered, which you should do between age 3-5 months.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    First, thanks for the responses.

Second... TWO CATS?! It'll be tough wih just the one for now... Though you bring up good points.

I didn't know that the allergens were in the saliva. That's interesting. Anyone have cat allergies? Does Claritin help fight them off?

I've got another question or two, but not enough time right now...

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    First, thanks for the responses.

Second... TWO CATS?! It'll be tough wih just the one for now... Though you bring up good points.

I didn't know that the allergens were in the saliva. That's interesting. Anyone have cat allergies? Does Claritin help fight them off?

I've got another question or two, but not enough time right now...

Two cats might increase the amount of allergens, sure, but it's almost always best to have more than one cat. Otherwise your single cat is mopey and needy when you get home from work, since he or she is bored all day alone.

Hopefully you find something that'll help you with your allergies. I have some slight ones myself, but they aren't severe at all, and after I've been around a cat for a few weeks, they disappear. (And I have three cats now. :P)

Aurin on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Something you may want to consider allergy wise if money isn't too much of an issue is consulting a doctor for medication. It's far from a guarantee but it does help some people.

Quid on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have cat allergies, mild ones (which sounds like what you have, too). I got Flonase (fluticasone) from my doc about 6 months prior to getting a cat, BUT -- I can go without any medication and my cats don't affect me at all. They sleep on my pillow and I rub my face in their fur, and I don't sneeze or get stuffy at all.

But the thing is, I was more sensitive to cat #1 for the first month or so. I'd wash my hands after petting him, and I did feel a little stuffy sometimes. I'm not sure, though, if it was true allergies or if it was psychosomatic (or simply because it was late summer). Now that cats are in my life, they don't bug me.

Final BUT! I also did a lot of research into cat allergies and found a great many people who changed their cat's diet (for the better) and their own allergies went away. In many cases, the diet change was due to the cat actually being allergic to something in their food (since the cheap stuff is usually corn by-product flavored with meat), but still. So I figured "well, if it worked for these people, I might as well start my cat off with delicious food. I mean, if I was a cat I would want to eat delicious food."

Good food also has the side effect of fewer health problems over the long term (similar to you eating healthy food vs. eating twinkies every day), and it gives them a lot of energy. Holy crap does it give them energy.

Anyway, if you do decide to get a cat, see how it goes and strongly consider getting another. If you're allergic or you find it just to be "not your thing," it's easier to return 1 pet to the SPCA or breeder. After you're used to owning a cat, adding a 2nd is pretty cheap, as you just need 1 more litterbox and double the food -- they share toys and beds and all that. Having them play together and not moaning at your door all the time is nice, too.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone have cat allergies? Does Claritin help fight them off?

Yes, and...sort of. I find it's a bit more subtle as opposed to, say, decongestants like Sudafed, where I can feel a dramatic effect.

I have 2 large, long-haired cats at the moment, and I get along okay, although I use a prescription nasal spray and Singulair on a daily basis. I think the allergies symptoms have moderated a bit since we first got them, but they certainly haven't gone away. Also, the cats are a breed (Siberian) that is supposedly lower in allergens, but i'm not really sure it's a huge difference compared to other cats i've been around.

I do find that doing a full vacuming at least once a week helps a lot also, including couches, chairs, blankets, etc.

Said kittahs:
    Nikki:

nikkideskyt7.jpg

Tasha:

tashaeyes2ln5.jpg
    Good food also has the side effect of fewer health problems over the long term (similar to you eating healthy food vs. eating twinkies every day), and it gives them a lot of energy. Holy crap does it give them energy.

Definately yes. We feed ours the premium Wellness food, and they have both stayed perfectly healthy so far....And lord, do they have plenty of energy to run around like maniacs.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I found that my cat allergies got better over time and exposure to cats, not worse. Also, make sure you get it spayed/neutered, and understand that getting a pet is like adopting a fluffy child with talons: a lifelong commitment. Giving it away because your new dog made it pee everywhere or because the apartment you want to move into doesn't allow cats is a supremely dick maneuver.

Regular brushing can help with shedding everywhere, and the cat will love you for it. Also, play with the cat regularly. You'll be surprised what they can do if you endeavor to keep them mentally acute.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So I've heard alot of really good arguments regarding getting two cats. I think that might definitely be something we look into. We're both out of the house for around 8 hours out of the day, so maybe that'll alleviate the boredom.

I've got an allergist but i haven't seen him in ages... I'll look him up.

Just out of curiousity... How stir crazy does a normal cat get after being in a house alone for 8 hours or so? Would we want a cage for the first few days? Or is that more a dog thing?

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nah, you won't need a cage.

After being alone all day my cat will run around my feet and follow me around and meow and generally do anything she can to get attention from me. It's not really so bad, she calms down pretty soon.

I did have to leave her alone for about 3 days when I had to go out of town. My friend came and refilled her food and water on his way to work, but didn't have much time to play. When I came back I think all I heard for 2 hours was MEOWMEOWmeowMEmememeMEOW. Mow? Mew? Mememeeme? And when I tried to use the computer she forced her head under my hand :-P

That is the needy cat though. The other one doesn't like much human attention. She just looked at me when I walked through the door and seemed to say "So, I see you still have a key...."

I guess what I am trying to say is that your cats will vary...mine are at two extremes. But it isn't harmful leaving them at home for 8 hours like it is with a dog. Cats sleep most of the time anyway.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When we used to have cats in our house as opposed to a cage we would just put things away that the cat might enjoy ripping to shreds, that way they had rule of the house and we didn't lose anything/feel bad for making them sit in a cage.

My cats have always spent the first few days just looking and smelling anything they can get to, to check out the new surroundings. I have never had a cat just go nuts or rampage around while left alone. I am sure its happened before.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also, get in the habit of not leaving laundry in baskets, or in piles on the floor etc. Make sure it's put away, or in a hamper with a lid on it. Not ALL cats are tempted to pee in laundry if it's all piled up but many are. It just seems to tempt them.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thylacine wrote: »
    Also, get in the habit of not leaving laundry in baskets, or in piles on the floor etc. Make sure it's put away, or in a hamper with a lid on it. Not ALL cats are tempted to pee in laundry if it's all piled up but many are. It just seems to tempt them.

WELL, THERE GOES THE CAT IDEA

No, seriously this is basically a gigantic bad habit of mine.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It is a bad habit of mine too. Not all cats will do it though. If you have trouble keeping the laundry picked up just make sure to clean the litter box very frequently and you shouldn't have a problem.

They like using the litter best in general, but if the box is too dirty some cats will find other places. It's not impossible, it's just a caution of things to keep an eye on(if you see kitty doing the telltale litter dig in the laundry put it in the litter box fast). And it's just some cats, not all cats.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I can say that our cats have not once done this in over 3 years so far, and I also have the bad habit of leaving dirty laundry all over the floor. Our girl, however, did decide to use our Sumo beanbag for that purpose several times (the feel of the pellets, I guess), but that's a little different.

As Thylacine said, if you keep your litter boxes scooped on a regular basis, you will greatly cut down on the chances of having this sort of problem.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Our cat has never, at any point, done anything but sleep peacefully in the laundry.

Quid on
  • Options
    phoxphyrephoxphyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have two cats and cat allergies, and things are fine.

You quickly become accustomed to *your* cats dander. You'll notice that you can rub your face into your cats, and things are fine. But two hours at a friends house will bring on the snuffles. I notice that I itch and sneeze more when they are molting, but that's about it.

I remember it took a couple of months to become used to them. But things are generally fine allergy-wise now :)

I have also had some experience with cats and dirty clothes piles. If their litter box is clean and they're not stressed out my piles of clothes are fine. If we move house, or introduce another cat into the house, then I keep things a bit cleaner as a precaution. It's been years since anything nasty happened to my clothes! (Other than a toy mouse or two -- which scared the hell out of the laundry lady! :P)

phoxphyre on
    Remember the Slug; They have all the disadvantages of Snails, but without the benefit of home-ownership...
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Same here with the laundry, my cats just like to play with it now that I keep it in the hamper. But when we left it all over, it just got cat hair on it, and I'm even notorious for forgetting to clean the litter box.

(That's why I ponied up the 300 bucks for a heavenly wonderful awesome Litter Robot.)

Aurin on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My cat has peed in the laundry, dirty and clean, a few times when I left the closet door open, so it's not just Thylacine's cats.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you have indoor / outdoor cats if its cold please please please dont let them outside early in the morning before you leave for work where they can climb up into your car. It's not something you should have to deal with.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We've found that air purifiers can do a lot to make the experience more comfortable for someone affected by allergies. My wife had some pretty bad cat allergies prior to our feline, but she's been basically symptom free aside from some itchy eyes through a combination of an air purifier by our computers, and keeping the cat out of our bedroom.

I'll also agree on the quality food is a must point. I found this site of particular interest with regards to what a cat actually needs vs what's put into most commercial cat foods. It does come off as a little militant crazy on occasion, but I still think there's valuable info in there.

Entriech on
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My b/f was pretty allergic to cats, but theres 2 in the house. They do have unusual fur though which is not typical of cats just because they are a specific breed, it does shed though not as much as some others.

About once a month he starts a sneezing fit and takes some OTC stuff, which clears it up. Day to day though he does not take anything for his allergies and the monthly-ish attack seems to co-incide more clearly with me doing some cleaning (dust I assume).

His pet allergies seem to actually have improved. This all seems highly anecdotal though. I think the answer is that we all are affected differently, and you may be lucky or unlucky.

If its a big concern, do fostering for a shelter before you adopt to see what happens. Just be honest with them, they are usually glad to have a volunteer even if it doesn't work and will respect that you want to make the right choice.

onceling on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    if yo have cat allergies, definitely try and get a cat as young as possible. you will eventually get an immunity to your cats dander and allergies won't be an issue. both my wife and i are mildly "allergic" to cats and we now have 2. we have no reaction to our cats anymore but if we go to someone elses house with cats we get the reaction.

be forewarned it will suck for a good 2-3 months but tht is what allergy stuff is for. we also got a air filter for our bedroom and that helped.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    also, definitely consider 2 cats if you can afford it. we had one cat and a dog for a while and our guy, despite playing with the dog, got bored and seemed kind of lonely. we got a second guy and he was so much happier and active

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Our cat has never, at any point, done anything but sleep peacefully in the laundry.

Our cats sleep peacefully on laundry. They never pee on laundry.

They do, however, vomit on laundry. For some reason a nice laundry pile says "HAREBALL GOZE HEER!" to them.

Oh, and our male cat will get his freak on with the odd laundry pile every now and then. It's kind of disturbing.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    They do, however, vomit on laundry. For some reason a nice laundry pile says "HAREBALL GOZE HEER!" to them.

Mine, too. My girl cat likes to drag fabric over her water dish, and the boy eats too fast, goes aside, and throws up on any clothes I leave on the floor. :| (Then his sister cleans it up asdjhfsdlhjf so fucking gross)

The moral of the story is, every cat is different - potential effects on your allergies included - but they're all fucking weird. <3

Aoi Tsuki on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This thread has a far lower kitty picture content then it should.

Also - Save the rings off of Milk jugs. My cats will ignore a $3 toy but go crazy trying to dig a milk ring out from under a door.

Also - my cats play fetch.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My allergy take:

I have bad allergies. I take drugs that improve my daily condition from "sneezing and miserable all day" to "sneezing fits one or two times a day." If I go over to a friend's house where they have a cat, I can last about 5 hours there unless the house has just been cleaned.

So it depends on how bad your allergies are. There's no way I could live with an animal. If yours are better (i.e. if you don't take something like Claritin or Zyrtec every day) then you may be ok. A warning because I hear plenty of people say "oh yeah, I'm allergic to my cat," to which the response is usually "clearly not, since you can actually live with one!" If you have any friends with cats hang out at their houses and see how you feel. Just remember when living with one your clothes and everything are going to have dander on them, which is another factor as it follows you around.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mts wrote: »
    also, definitely consider 2 cats if you can afford it. we had one cat and a dog for a while and our guy, despite playing with the dog, got bored and seemed kind of lonely. we got a second guy and he was so much happier and active

Yeah, cats aren't as solitary as people might think. A companion is a smart move, especially if the owners are out for most of the day. If second kitty isn't an option, a fenced-in backyard with no chance of escape and a pet door to get in and out of the house might keep kitty occupied while you're gone.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yeah, cats aren't as solitary as people might think. A companion is a smart move, especially if the owners are out for most of the day. If second kitty isn't an option, a fenced-in backyard with no chance of escape and a pet door to get in and out of the house might keep kitty occupied while you're gone.
    For what it is worth, anecdotally we own one cat who is on his ownsome a good half the day, and he's completely and totally fine. Not needy, not desperate for attention. Now we do make a point of giving him lots of attention and playtime when we are around, and he's modified his schedule so that he generally snoozes away the times we're not available (cats snooze 12-16ish hours a day). He's got access to his toys (regularly rotated) and his beds and such, and will contently play on his own if he's bored for some reason.

Also anecdotally I've got two acquaintances (friend, and mother in law) who acquired two felines on the premise of them keeping each other company. In both cases, the cats ended up competing and picking on each other more than keeping each other company.

Multiple felines also means more money invested, and more complex situations to deal with if there's a problem. You may end up needing to feed them in seperate rooms if one cat is bullying the other over food, or one cat is a grazer, and the other one is snacking on their meal leading to becoming overweight. There may be litter box issues if one cat feels insecure, or is constantly denied access to a box by another more dominant feline.

If you do only get one cat, you just need to remember that you are totally responsible for providing for their social needs, and act accordingly.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I've never actually had a problem with cat allergies before, but when I visited the allergist about a year and a half ago it was kind of a shock to hear that I was allergic to just about everything under the sun. So I just wanted to be prepared.

We talked it over last night and I may go back to the allergist before we get the cat. Also, we'll be waiting until at least May so that we can be certain we can afford everything before jumping on the cat boat.

Thanks for all the help!

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've never actually had a problem with cat allergies before, but when I visited the allergist about a year and a half ago it was kind of a shock to hear that I was allergic to just about everything under the sun. So I just wanted to be prepared.

We talked it over last night and I may go back to the allergist before we get the cat. Also, we'll be waiting until at least May so that we can be certain we can afford everything before jumping on the cat boat.

Thanks for all the help!

My wife is also allergic to just about everything under the sun per the report she got back after visiting the allergist, including cats. Her mother and sister have horrible cat allergies and tear up/sneeze/sniffle/begin to have breathing issues after an hour or 2 with cats, even with taking claritin or benadryl.

That said, we adopted 2 cats (because we wanted them to keep each other company like many have suggested already) about 1.5 years ago. My wife was taking claritin on a daily basis initially, but after about 6 weeks she was pretty much completely desensitized to the cats. These days our male cat can come sleep on her pillow, wrapped around her head for half the night, without provoking any kind of reaction whatsoever.

Ketar on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you want to adopt young, get 2. A single kitten will get into all sorts of mischief, be lonely and mopey all day, and have a better chance of developing bad scratching and biting habits (they learn not to scratch or bite hard by fighting with siblings). If 1 is all you can handle, adopt an adult cat. Seriously. Getting a single kitten is kind of unfair to the kitten.

We have 2 cats and I have allergies. The first week was unpleasant, now it's no big deal. I'll take an antihistamine once in awhile and I make sure to wash my hands after petting them.

And for the love of Jebus, don't declaw.

zilo on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

You mean like some sort of chain-link dome? A cat is going to be able to jump over or climb up any fence a person would have.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    zilo wrote: »
    If you want to adopt young, get 2. A single kitten will get into all sorts of mischief, be lonely and mopey all day, and have a better chance of developing bad scratching and biting habits (they learn not to scratch or bite hard by fighting with siblings). If 1 is all you can handle, adopt an adult cat. Seriously. Getting a single kitten is kind of unfair to the kitten.

We have 2 cats and I have allergies. The first week was unpleasant, now it's no big deal. I'll take an antihistamine once in awhile and I make sure to wash my hands after petting them.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet. There's a reason it's illegal and considered animal cruelty in most of the civilized world.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yea some cats are perfectly fine being by themselves. our second guy i think would so long as he has a human. our older guy (sig) is not your typical cat. he loves meeting strange new cats has never hissed once. unlike every other cat we have met. we probably wouldn;t have gotten a second except we fostered kittens a lot for the place we adopted sig from , and he would love having the little guys around and was always sad when we adopted them out. so we ended up keeping a foster we had

so yea don't rule out 2 kittens, but if older you can probably jst get 1

if getting two i would get 1 of each sex, we have two males and had to deal with peeing/alpha issues for a while. it sucks.

also
    IMGP0707.jpg

IMGP0653Medium-1.jpg

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    zilo wrote: »

Can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet. There's a reason it's illegal and considered animal cruelty in most of the civilized world.
    Thirding this, but do spay/neuter. It can be expensive, depending on where you go (which is why paying $150 to the Humane Society is actually a bargain compared to buying from a pet store or even responding to a "FREE KITTENS!" ad, because some vets charge upwards of $200 for the procedure), but there is just no reason whatsoever not to get it done, and a ton of good reasons in favour of it.

As far as claws go, my mother had always been in the "omg if you don't declaw your cat it will gleefully shred everything in your house" camp, but when I got Alliecat I had already made a commitment not to declaw her based on what I had learned of the practice, and I haven't had a single problem with her scratching things she isn't supposed to scratch. She doesn't touch our clothes (except occasionally by mistake if her claws catch on them), she doesn't touch the leather couch. Of course, she also doesn't touch her scratching post - she prefers to use the unfinished wood at the foot of the bed, which is just fine. Or, oddly enough, our old Rock Band drum set. It makes her happy, and we have the Rock Band 2 drums now, so we let it slide.

Kate of Lokys on