As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Top 5 Film Directors

WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
In my boredom and desire to discuss some current filmmakers I'd like to read who are some of your favorite film directors. Lists of personal favorites seem to work pretty well here so I'm hoping to read about new films to check out. I figure having a top 5 list of fav directors is less tedious than having say a top 10. Besides, a likely favorite director generally generates conversation on at least a couple of films.

Anyway, here is mine:
1. Wes ANDERSON (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, Royal Ten., Life Aquatic)
2. Terrence Malick (Days of Heaven, Thin Red line, New World)
3. Michael Gondry (Human Nature, Eternal Sun., Science of Sleep)
4. Sofia Coppola (Virgin Suicides, Lost in Trans., Marie Ant.)
5. Lars Von Triers (Breaking the Waves, Dancer in the Dark, Dogville--that whole trilogy)
6. P.T. Anderson (Hard Eight, Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love, Magnolia)
and a close 7th is Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, Alien IV, Amelie, A Very Long Engagment)

*Okay so I cheated and threw in seven.

Wes' movies are my favorite because of his mixture of modern black comedy w/his innovative postmodern way of telling a story-- like his play on genres in Rushmore, Royal Ten, and Life Aquatic. I also appreciate his attention to infusing dress and music styles from each decade of the last 50 years to synthesize a mix-mash of a setting for each story -- my take on it is that it all reflects our nation's unsettled emotional state. In which case, we are arrogant, insecure, quixotic, yearning, and disenchanted.

Werdna on

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    Offhand, and in no particular order:

Akira Kurosawa
    Jim Jarmusch
    John Sayles
    Wes Anderson
    Jean Jeunet (esp. with Caro)

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    QT has to be in if Sofia Coppola is.

Sam on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I make no claims to these being the "best 5 evar", they're merely 5 snatched out of a larger list of directors I really like, selected more for distinct style and bringing a certain energy to what they do than anything else.

I'm going to say:

Kurosawa
    Hitchcock
    Pre-coming-to-hollywood John Woo
    Hayao Miyazaki
    Jean-Pierre Jeunet

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What I hate about A Better Tomorrow is they use one theme throughout the entire movie, and pretty much no other music.

Sam on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2006
    Q. Tarantino
    Kurosawa
    Terry Gilliam
    Scorsese
    P. Jackson

Shit... I could name like 10 others, and I'm not sure these are my top five.

I hateses lists.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm not gonna do a list, as it's counter-productive to discussion, so I'm just going to mention that my favorite director is Stanley Kubrick.

The guy has never made a bad movie, seriously. The only one I'm not totally hot on is Eyes Wide Shut.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DreamerdownDreamerdown Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Takashi Miike
    Takashi Miike
    Terry Gilliam
    Takeshi Kitano
    Takashi Miike

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

Not all vampires suck blood.
    Not all of them die for love.
  • Options
    itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Akira Kurosawa
    Federico Fellini
    Brian DePalma
    Pedro Almodovar
    Martin Scorcese

itylus on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    These are the directors that gave me the most enjoyment out of films.

1. John Carpenter (Big Trouble In Little China, The Thing)
    2. Peter Jackson
    3. James Cameron
    4. Steven Spielberg
    5. Brian DePalma

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    John Woo definitely has one of the highest rations of awesome:suck between his Hong Kong films and his Hollywood films.

Anyway, in no particular order:

P.T. Anderson
    Pre-Hollywood John Woo
    Quentin Tarantino
    David Fincher
    Darren Aronofsky
    Ridley Scott, because I can't count to five.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ed wood
    uwe boll
    qeinten tarrintino
    michael bay
    billy crystal

klok on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sam wrote:

I'd like to know why. Sofia is way beyond QT in my mind. QT hits you over the head with a sledgehammer and is pretty much a copycat of japanese gangster films. Coppola is in no way remniscent of her dad and pretty much made one of the best movies in the last couple of years w/Marie Ant -- which I just saw a couple of weeks ago. You have to consider its release into our current historical context to see that america is a similar obliviously privileged aristocracy and should understand that it is the world around us which is having a revolution. Among all of her wonderfully subtle motifs in her movies, culture seems to be the driving force for all her characters in our androcentric world. It is what is robbing us of our individuality and rendering us impotent against our own true desires. Her depth w/'mis en scence' supercedes her dad.

Werdna on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kurosawa
    Terry Gilliam
    Wong Kar Wai

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    klok wrote:
    uwe boll

This is a joke, right? Please tell me it's a joke.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    #14#14 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Seriously guys Guy Ritchie.

Just for Lock Stock and Snatch alone.

#14 on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Werdna wrote:
    Alright, I really like Virgin Suicides, but Lost in Translation is the most overrated movie I've ever seen. Like wow, it's alright, but it is not great.

Anyhow I'm going to throw Cameron Crowe out there. Because he makes good movies.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Damnit, I had forgotten Sofia Coppola.

Take off one of my Takashi Miike's and throw her in.

Also, who directed Ghost World? Looking up.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    zenonzenon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Michel Gondry
    Wes Anderson
    Kevin Smith (yeah, that's right... I said it)
    Spike Jonze
    P.T. Anderson

zenon on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Actually, Marie Antoinette wasn't so hot, so Coppola is only 2 for 3.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2006
    zenon wrote:
    Spike Jonze
    Have I ever told you guys how much I HATE Charlie Kaufman? I'm pretty sure I have.

I don't know how much Jonze's directing has to do with my hate, but just for directing his movies Jonze gets a :v:

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Not exactly my top5, but certainly 5 directors that would interest me if attached to a film:

Christopher Nolan
    Michael Mann
    Ridley Scott
    Takeshi Kitano
    James Cameron

Rook on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    zenon wrote:
    Spike Jonze
    Have I ever told you guys how much I HATE Charlie Kaufman? I'm pretty sure I have.

I don't know how much Jonze's directing has to do with my hate, but just for directing his movies Jonze gets a :v:
    Wow, yeah, Being John Malkovich, Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind are three of my all time favorite movies... so yeah, it's a good thing I don't watch movies with you.
    Werdna wrote:
    Alright, I really like Virgin Suicides, but Lost in Translation is the most overrated movie I've ever seen. Like wow, it's alright, but it is not great.
    Again, Lost in Translation - one of my all time favorite movies. However, I think to really enjoy Lost in Translation you have to have experienced that sense of alienation and loneliness you can get from going to a completely foreign country. It's an experiential movie, and having been to Japan multiple times myself, it is the truest expression of alienation I have ever seen in film without lowering itself to pandering to the obvious "oh no, they speak a different language and use different letters!" portrayal of culture shock. Everything from the cinematography, pacing, and soundtrack express that sense of alienation in a beautiful way.

zenon on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Quentin Tarantino
    Robert Rodriguez
    Christopher Nolan
    Terry Gilliam
    ... i don't know, will get back later.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    These came to me...

Orson Welles
    Francis Ford Coppola
    Yasujiro Ozu
    Alfred Hitchcock
    Jean-Luc Goddard

(Also D.W. Griffith because he never gets enough credit for his work)

I guess Spielberg too, but he has had his bad films, more so than the ones above.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kevin Smith
    Quentin Tarantino
    Joss Wheadon
    Wes Craven
    Um... I don't really know who to put as a 5th.

So, am I the only one that has made their list based off of the person, not their movies?

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    #14 wrote:

Revolver was a crime agaist humanity.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    1) Fellini
    2) Truffaut
    3) Bergman
    4) Kubrick
    5) Anderson

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Werdna wrote:
    Sam wrote:

I'd like to know why. Sofia is way beyond QT in my mind. QT hits you over the head with a sledgehammer and is pretty much a copycat of japanese gangster films. Coppola is in no way remniscent of her dad and pretty much made one of the best movies in the last couple of years w/Marie Ant -- which I just saw a couple of weeks ago. You have to consider its release into our current historical context to see that america is a similar obliviously privileged aristocracy and should understand that it is the world around us which is having a revolution. Among all of her wonderfully subtle motifs in her movies, culture seems to be the driving force for all her characters in our androcentric world. It is what is robbing us of our individuality and rendering us impotent against our own true desires. Her depth w/'mis en scence' supercedes her dad.
    Well, I haven't seen Marie Antionette yet, but I think Virgin Suicides is overrated. It's stylistically inconsistent. At first there's the opening sequence with all the lettering which is highly stylized then never repeated. There's the strong humor of the Trip Fontaine "Magic Man" sequence which is totally out of place, not to mention the COMPLETELY bizarre flash-forward to Trip as a failed older man which has NO reason to be in the movie, then there's the sections with strong colorization (the football field and the toxic party at the end) then there's that weird shot of Kirsten's underwear with Trip's name on it that just makes no sense (when the little bubble zooms in and shows it). It's weird and inconsistent. It's a movie that has soured with repeat viewings for me. I like Lost in Translation, though. Which brings me to my list:

1. Wong Kar Wai (Happy Together, In the Mood for Love, 2046, Fallen Angels, Chungking Express, among others).
    2. Terence Malick (Days of Heaven, Badlands, Thin Red Line, The New World)
    3. Wes Andersen (Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, Bottle Rocket, Life Aquatic)
    4. David Gordon Green (George Washington*, All the Real Girls, Undertow)
    5. Steven Soderbergh (Sex, Lies, and Videotape, Schizopolis*, Traffic, Bubble, Erin Brockovich, Solaris (2001), Ocean's 11)
    6. Spike Lee (Do the Right Thing, Bamboozled, Malcolm X, 25th Hour)
    7. Terry Zwigoff (Crumb, Ghost World, Bad Santa, Art School Confidential)

Those are the first that come to mind. People have named other directors I like, too, but those are really my favorite directors. In particular I love Kar Wai. He's brilliant.

*I really think you'd like these if you haven't seen them Werdna. Particularly George Washington, you should watch that ASAP.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    oh shits

CURRENT

Cel's list is pretty on. Wong Kar Wai is absolutely phenomenal. Like, seriously. He's gonna be one of the best of all times. I'm not a big Spike Lee guy, and I thought that Art School Confidential was a real let down.

You know who I'm real hopeful for? Noah Baumbach.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Cowbomb wrote:
    #14 wrote:

Revolver was a crime agaist humanity.
    I didn't feel there was anything wrong with that movie, other than the fact that I had no idea what had happened on my first viewing.

zenon on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    I really like Sophia Coppola because her films rely heavily on images and music to communicate complex emotion. The dialogue is sparce and there are long spaces without any speaking or substantial action at all. There is something clean and visceral about it.

I didn't particularly identify with Marie Antoinette the same way I did with Lost in Translation but I still respected what she did there.

Shinto on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Cel's list is pretty on. Wong Kar Wai is absolutely phenomenal. Like, seriously. He's gonna be one of the best of all times. I'm not a big Spike Lee guy, and I thought that Art School Confidential was a real let down.
    I thought Art School Confidential was amazing. I've only watched it once, and it definitely did a weird turn where it was funny up-front and then just sort of black and over-serious (compared to the first half) in the end. I'll have to watch it a few more times to decide what I really think about it, but my first impression is that it's amazing.
    Poldy wrote:
    You know who I'm real hopeful for? Noah Baumbach.
    What's funny is that I just ordered Kicking and Screaming, a 1996 film by him, without having watched it at all because I think he's pretty good too (a friend recommended it, as well) and I'm thinking the Squid and the Whale might be my next film purchase, but it's so depressing to me I'm not sure how many times I would want to watch that.

As far as classic directors go, I also love Kurosawa. I own all his movies I can get from the Criterion Collection (although I haven't gotten the updated Seven Samurai -- maybe a Christmas present for myself). Much like people say Kubrick never made a bad film, Hitchcock TRULY never made a bad film. Vertigo and Rear Window are easily my favorites by him. I actually like the French New Wave directors, even if I'm not all gaga over them.

I should also add Brad Bird (Iron Giant, The Incredibles) as a guy I'm really excited about, plus Hiyao Miyazaki. So far Spirited Away is my favorite film by him, and I have my doubts as to whether he'll ever be able to produce anything quite as good.

• Options
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    I really like Sophia Coppola because her films rely heavily on images and music to communicate complex emotion. The dialogue is sparce and there are long spaces without any speaking or substantial action at all. There is something clean and visceral about it.

I didn't particularly identify with Marie Antoinette the same way I did with Lost in Translation but I still respected what she did there.
    You should check out All the Real Girls by David Gordon Green, or any Malick movies. Malick doesn't really use musical cues that much, but goddamn does he know how to just let the photography speak for itself.

• Options
    edited November 2006
    And jesus -- I forgot Errol Morris. I knew I was forgetting someone. He's like #2 on my list, actually.

Errol Morris (Gates of Heaven, Vernon, FL, Thin Blue Line, Fog of War)

He's extremely avant garde in my opinion. If I ever do any film-making on any level, I'm going to be jacking his style like WOAH. He's brilliant.

• Options
    chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    zenon wrote:
    Spike Jonze

Just curious, why do you hate him so much? I'm a big fan of the guy's work, so I want to see it from another angle.

chickenmania on
    Nerds.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I don't know, it just bugs me, his stuff.

I loved Eternal sunshine up until they got into his head and everything started going crazy. THen I was like "Kaufman does it again."

It's like he can't do anything that isn't about over the top insanity and crazy mindfucking. If that's your deal, cool. It just isn't for me.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you're going to tlak about WOng KarWai you gotta give a nod to Chirs Doyle one of the best cinematogrpahers ever

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    1) George Romero
    2) Sam Mendes
    3) Sophia Coppola
    4) Orson Welles
    5) Alfred Hitchcock

I don't have many current favorites really...a few, but I prefer the days of old as opposed to the films of now.

Crayon on
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    And jesus -- I forgot Errol Morris. I knew I was forgetting someone. He's like #2 on my list, actually.

Errol Morris (Gates of Heaven, Vernon, FL, Thin Blue Line, Fog of War)

He's extremely avant garde in my opinion. If I ever do any film-making on any level, I'm going to be jacking his style like WOAH. He's brilliant.

Have you seen Fast, Cheap and Out of Control? Amazing movie.

My top 5:

Stanley Kubrick
    Joel Cohen
    Quentin Tarantino
    Errol Morris
    Terry Gilliam

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hmmm... favourite, as in not necessarily best best:

Terence Malick
    Lee Myung-Se
    Jiang Wen
    Kim Ji-Woon
    Johnny To

in no particular order. Again, not "best", best: they're simply five directors off the top of my head who in my estimation combine artistic and technical skill with some hard-to-pin-down quality that sits right with me. Each of them's done at least two films I think of as absolute masterpieces on multiple levels and could happily rant on about for ages.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)