As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The latest Simpsons (appreciation? gasp!)

TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
edited November 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
pynchon.jpg

Authors Jonathan Franzen, Gore Vidal, Tom Wolfe, and Michael Chabon were all in a really funny Simpsons tonight. Many will say ye olde Simpsons has gone on too long, but if it can still be this funny on occasion I'd like to see it make it to 20 years at least. I think the writers probably get into these episodes with authors, and it was funny seeing Thomas Pynchon (paper bag-head) on the writers' panel even though he wasn't in the episode. When it comes to the author episodes, I actually enjoy the ubiquitous celebrity appearances, which are normally tiresome.

The season has been hit and miss, I'd say. I thought the halloween episode, for example, was kinda flaccid. But there should be more positive things said about the Simpsons; the negative has been repeated enough. What a great show.

Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
TroubledTom on

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Was this the Moe becomes a poet episode? Dammit, I kind of wanted to see it (I am into poetry), but I haven't watched The Simpsons in so long that I completely forgot about it.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Jameson was funny.

That's about all I'll admit to.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So it's a remake of flaming moe's?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Honestly, I just haven't found an episode of the Simpsons to be very funny in years. The characters have been flogged to death. There is nothing else for them to do. It's not that it can't be funny; it's just that there's so much better stuff on that is consistantly funny.

The show is an excellent show, but it just has to die. There's nowhere else to go.

(Also I'm a totally bitter basterd about Futurama getting canned)

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    Mmmmmm, Jamima!

I liked it, but it was just one good episode in a crappy season. I wouldn't mind if they killed it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Was this the one with Alan Moore in it? Or was that last week?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SpaceMonkeySpaceMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    TANGENT!

American Dad has been great the last few weeks.

SpaceMonkey on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    havent the simpsons been to vermont once before?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I stopped watching the Simpsons after they bleeped out something Homer said like an episode of South Park. I don't regret my decision.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Honestly, if Simpsons was to go anywhere.. time would have to kick in.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I wouldn't mind terribly if it ended after the movie.

At the same time though I can't imagine a world without the Simpsons.

Furu on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:

I can. It's called "world with family guy, which is far superior anyway."

ege02 on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    Furu wrote:

Family Guy may be better, but that is like saying shit sandwiches are better than coagulated blood and rancid fat smoothies with rotted cottage cheese in place of whipped cream.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    Furu wrote:

Family Guy may be better, but that is like saying shit sandwiches are better than coagulated blood and rancid fat smoothies with rotted cottage cheese in place of whipped cream.

Considering your avatar, I don't think you get to comment on which is better. :D

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I...am...agreeing with you?
    I'm just saying that Family Guy, while superior, is not funny anymore. It used to be, but it's gone to hell.

South Park is superior to both, and Venture Brothers conquers all.

Also, considering you think rape isn't painful, I don't think you are in the position to say anything about anything ever :D

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited November 2006

It's true. Someone should start a Venture Brothers thread.

[spoiler:29a9ad10af]why don't you go ahead?[/spoiler:29a9ad10af]
    Also, considering you used to think rape isn't physically painful,

Fixed for accuracy.
    I don't think you are in the position to say anything about anything ever :D

Oh Kusu, you're so predictable!

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Whatever dude, you didn't think rape was painful.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    Furu wrote:

Kusu, I could not agree with you more right now.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Amazingly accurate isn't it?

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Whatever dude, you didn't think rape was painful.

Yeah, I committed a thought-crime. Sue me.

The reactions don't bother me as much as the fact that it is still being brought up constantly, in extremely irrelevant conversations, as an ad hominem.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    whatever, rape, etc.

Back on topic, I think that the Simpsons needs to die. You don't let your old, loving, family dog whimper about in pain right? No. You take a shotgun and you turn Fido's face into a fine red mist.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    They should just advance the story-line 10 years.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Why? The writing would still be terrible. Changing the setting doesn't change someone's ability to write a good script.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Why? The writing would still be terrible. Changing the setting doesn't change someone's ability to write a good script.

It would add a refreshing new perspective, though. Bad writing is only half the reason the show sucks. The other half is the characters still being the same god damn characters they were 20 years ago, and people being bored of them.

Besides, a new setting might give the writers new options too. Bart in college? Nice. Homer in a retirement home? Heh.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Are you kidding me? If they had the same refreshing yet still good-natured humor they had in the older seasons no one would complain. The characters aren't stale–the terrible pop-culture references are.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Harpy PrinceHarpy Prince Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ege02 wrote:

It would add a refreshing new perspective, though. Bad writing is only half the reason the show sucks. The other half is the characters still being the same god damn characters they were 20 years ago, and people being bored of them.

Besides, a new setting might give the writers new options too. Bart in college? Nice. Homer in a retirement home? Heh.
    Considering both future episodes were horrible I sincerely doubt it old chum.

Harpy Prince on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    All I'm saying is looking at the writing cast for the movie, I want to see it. I know parts of it will be at least great.

And also, I haven't found Family Guy funny in a while. I can't put my finger on it, it just isn't doing it for me anymore.

Furu on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    South Park is definitely my favorite animated comedy these days. Unfortunately, it seems there are so few episodes with only 14 per a season, and humongous breaks in between.

Family guy is my second choice. The last few episodes have been bad, and the quality definitely isn't as good as it has been, but the one where Brian and Stewie get a radio show was really hilarious, I thought.

American Dad... I'm kinda ambivalent about. It has increased in quality, but I just don't think it's that great, still. Most of the jokes completely fall flat, and most of the characters are really annoying. Last week's episode with the MMO was probably the funniest one I've seen so far.

Simpsons is just bad now. There are no two ways about it. Although I must admit season 18 has been better than 17, it is still very mediocre. The only reason I watch it is because of old allegiances, I guess.

And I could never get into Venture Bros. for some reason. It just doesn't click with me.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I...am...agreeing with you?
    I'm just saying that Family Guy, while superior, is not funny anymore. It used to be, but it's gone to hell.

You left out Boondock, which I think is superior to South Park a lot of the time. I mean, where else could you have Samuel L Jackson play a rich white dude named Rummy who has cornrows and a business suit?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ege02 wrote:

Considering both future episodes were horrible I sincerely doubt it old chum.

Interesting fact; there are actually three future episodes. The first one was quite good. Of course, it had the advantage of being made when the show was still good.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    whatever, rape, etc.

Back on topic, I think that the Simpsons needs to die. You don't let your old, loving, family dog whimper about in pain right? No. You take a shotgun and you turn Fido's face into a fine red mist.
    I really can't stand to watch the show anymore. Maybe, maybe (for the sake of argument) they have a decent show now and then (I doubt this!) but considering it used to be one of the best around, it's clearly not even close to the quality it was formerly. Kill it.

And give us Futurama. It didn't suck.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Maybe the Simpsons movie they're making will be the final send-off for the series. We can always hope.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Boondocks isn't really my cup of tea.

Also, if I remember correctly, the first two future episodes weren't bad at all.

The one with Lincoln's gold was pretty funny.

"Where'd you get that firecracker?"
    "I bought it off someone in your reservation."
    "That's crazy talk!"
    "No, it's true!"
    "I know. It's my brother, Crazy Talk. We're all a little worried."

also the whole "President elect" thing was funny.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What Simpsons needs is definitely a ten year time jump. A Bart that can buy alcohol and land in jail can only be a good thing.

I'd work if only just to see how fucked up all the characters would be old. Milhouse and Ralph Wiggum, especially. Shit, it'd be funny for at least a season.

I haven't seen a future episode I haven't liked, really.

LRG on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    It doesn't need a ten year jump, it needs new writers.

The shows focus is on being as fucking random as Family Guy, but this isn't Family Guy, it the god damn Simpsons. It was hilarious when Homer chased after Ned's car with those golf clubs because it was still kinda down to Earth in a zany way. If that same episode was written today, after falling off the car, Homer would spend the next 30 seconds going "AHHHHHHHHH OOOHHHHH AHHHHHH!" in the most irritating fucking way possible.

Homer became the star and it moved off of Bart; Bart becoming less a mischevious devil who is feared by all despite his stature and more just a prick. His antics aren't clever or mischevious, they're just inane and somehow MORE immature. All the guy characters became increasingly retarded, Marge has had the same role for like...ever. Her only good episode was the one where she became a cop.

They at least had a chance to alter the show a bit by marrying off Skinner and Krabappel thus hopefully removing Skinners mom in the process but they had to force it back to the norm. So now it is like FG where there is no continuity, every ep is self contained and they just don't give a fuck anymore. They kill off that Doctor Monroe guy and bring him back so they can basically rub it in our faces that they can do inane shit at will.

Shoulda married off Patty too that lesbo and break up the sisters. The spinster thing with Homer despising the pair is so old. Moe has somehow became a near main character too. He's got a relationship with Bart, Lisa and Maggie now plus Marge actually if I remember. How many times does he need to learn how to speak to women or not be an asshole?

How many times does Homer have to be an inconsiderate prick before Marge gets her cock elsewhere? He u sed to be a father. Not a particularly smart father but a father and a husband. Now he strangles part at every opportunity, falls down cliffs and generally goes out of his way to be a complete and utter irredeemable asshole.

It needs new writers asap.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Homer became the star
    Whaaaaat?

He's always been as much of a star as the show's had.

Elendil on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Homer became the star
    Whaaaaat?

Bartman? Eat my shorts? Don't have a cow man? Cowabunga? Bart was fucking everywhere man.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Homer became the star
    Whaaaaat?

Bartman? Eat my shorts? Don't have a cow man? Cowabunga? Bart was fucking everywhere man.
    In the advertising, yeah. The show? Not so much.

Elendil on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bart was only prioritized in like the first two seasons. After that it shifted from character to character, pretty much. Besides, most episodes do the whole "two story structure" thing, and follow several characters equally.

But yeah, my problem with today's Simpsons is that it is just... dull. The comedic timing that was beautifully done in older episodes is just gone, and most of the jokes fall completely flat to nonsensical replies, stupid catchphrases or "I X" lines - you know those completely random lines that come out of nowhere and aren't funny. I.e. "I sleep in a drawer".

It seems like the writers play it safe too much. The whole thing feels so formulaic; like there's no creative input involved. It's just obvious joke after obvious joke - like they found some mediocre niche stuck halfway between funny and not funny and just utilize it constantly. Of course, it can still be funny and it surely is one of the better shows on TV, but it pales in comparison to most other animated comedies currently running, and it is absolutely dire compared to the older seasons.

It needs new writers, yes, but I fear the show is just far too huge at this point to try and regain its own, unique style. So it'll likely continue to give us more pointless non-sequiturs, more inane plots, more out-of-left-field celebrity appearances* (I swear they have a quota for this shit) and more "LOL WHAT IS THAT ZANY HOMER GOING TO GET INTO NOW!?" situations. And I have absolutely no reason to believe the movie will be any different.

*And I'm really sick of these. It's like every single freaking episode these days. The episode where they go to London was just a complete nightmare. You know who had a great fucking celebrity appearance? James Woods. That episode was amazing, and his entire role in the story was funny as hell. So I do believe they can be done right, but it is evidently up to the writers.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    LRG wrote:
    What Simpsons needs is definitely a ten year time jump. A Bart that can buy alcohol and land in jail can only be a good thing.

I'd work if only just to see how fucked up all the characters would be old. Milhouse and Ralph Wiggum, especially. Shit, it'd be funny for at least a season.

I haven't seen a future episode I haven't liked, really.
    Your idea is bad and you should feel bad.
    Did you not see the travesty of the last one? Mr.Smithers was confirmed to be gay? What the hell is that? Half the fun of Mr. Smithers is not knowing if he was gay or not.

Kusuguttai on