As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New PB&J

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah the show is pretty good outside of Poehler.

She's really not funny. The rest of everything is though.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aw, the new opening was a one-off. I got my hopes up for it sticking for a while.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Projeck wrote: »
    what is updog?

NOT MUCH DAWG WHAT IS UP WITH YOU

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    spin move

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2009
    green means go ahead and shut up about it

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fantastic episode.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hahaha i love michael's extremely convoluted memory triggers

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It is so much fun to watch Michael be a competent salesman. Can't help but cheer him on.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2009
    hahaha what the hell

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What if they never go back to Dunder Mifflin and the show becomes about Michael Scott Paper Co.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    shoot i missed the episode :[

Projeck on
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tall.

beets.

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    What if they never go back to Dunder Mifflin and the show becomes about Michael Scott Paper Co.

I wish this so much, but I just know it won't happen.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    spin move

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jimothy wrote: »
    It is so much fun to watch Michael be a competent salesman. Can't help but cheer him on.

I know! He was making a really smart pitch and I was incredibly impressed
    I love seeing him show more intelligence than we usually credit him with

also, the way the info cards backfired on Dwight was fucking wonderful
    I loved Michael's delivery of the "...Most of them mean don't talk about it" line

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think it's interesting that Wallace loves Jim and has been this close to firing Dwight, while Charles hates Jim and wants to "give [Dwight] more responsibility."

I wonder if David would step in were Charles to name Dwight regional manager.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    spin move

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to rewatch the episode like 3 more times tonight, hiiiiiiiiiilarious

Franko on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    32 cheese puffs, that's how many.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I will steal all of your clients and kill them in front of you.

No!

I'm playing hardcore.

Finally!

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I prefer to stand.

Less blood clots.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Good episode. I liked this episode.

"Orange means orange you glad you didn't bring this up? Most colours mean don't talk about it."

Alpine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Tom, the gay sophomore?

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    Projeck wrote: »
    shoot i missed the episode :[

it was the funniest episode ever

I'm not even saying that to be a dick, it really was the best episode ever

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jim freaking out freaked me out

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Him grinning like a goof in the window when Andy was talking to Phyllis, and then being a real stand up guy to Andy made me very happy.

Alpine on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jaunty wrote:
    Jim freaking out freaked me out

Yeah, same. I honestly thought he was being serious at that point.

"Micheal, I want you to stop harrassing my employees and leave Dunder Mifflin alone. Do you understand?"

"I understand... nothing!"

This season has been pretty funny, but this is the first episode I've actually laughed aloud at in some time.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Holy shit that was so fucking awesome it's not even funny. No, wait, it was fucking hilarious. God damn!

I love when Michael actually shows how good he is at being a salesman. Remember in the episode where he took baskets of food to old clients and he mentioned the former clients daughter showing that he does actually care about his clients families. Sadly the guy never came back, but still, the point was made. Dwight was just so stupid. Not realizing that the words meant don't bring it up. He assumed they should be all good stuff about the people. I am so glad with the way he made himself look like an ass in front of his now former client. (I assume.)

The point remains to be seen though how they actually go about sending the paper. Did they get a distributor yet? I hope so because I really want this company to succeed. Especially when Wallace finds out about Dwight losing his biggest client.

The B story with Jim and Andy, I totally knew Jim was playing him but it was amazing. And god how I love post-anger Andy. You think "Oh! He's gonna get angry!" Then he changes "Hahaha, I can't stay mad at him. He got me good!"

The cold open was great too as was the end with the cheese balls. How much time did they spend practicing that? Seriously! Also, LOL at the one in Pam's hair before the intro.

Cannot wait for the next episode! They have really pulled out all the stops this season. It makes me wonder how much of this seasons storyline would have ended up in last season if the strike hadn't happened.

Spoilers for the last 4 episodes (Well, 3 of them), YOU WERE WARNED! Though it's just Wikipedia summaries. Nothing big, still...
    "Broke" - April 23, 2009
    Michael's new company struggles to make early morning deliveries while the office tries to get their expense reports in on time after Angela enforces Dunder Mifflin's policy.
    "Casual Friday" - April 30, 2009
    Michael has to mediate a dispute within his new sales team. Meanwhile, trouble brews in the office when several employees take the term "casual" Fridays too loosely.
    "Cafe Disco" - May 7, 2009
    Michael enters the cafe-disco business. Meanwhile, Pam and Jim decide to take a secret trip.
    "Company Picnic" - May 14, 2009
    Season finale. To be added when available.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They're completely different jokes, man.

They're exactly the same joke, except the original version contained a pop culture reference whereas the new version doesn't.

Defender on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Defender, you can't be this dumb

"What's up, doc?" was a regional expression of greeting made famous by Bugs Bunny. Nobody ever tricked someone by claiming that something smelled like "updoc". What are you talking about.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is defender really arguing about jokes in the Office thread?

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    are you really surprised?

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I just thought he could find something better to argue about

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    I prefer to stand.

Less blood clots.

Oh, the reaction to that was great.
    Nah, that's weird. You're sitting.

He's all business. He's the straight man. But for some reason, I always like that role. The guy's kind of a hardass, but I do like him.

Defender on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Charles has this vein in him that suggests that he may be more than the straight man

like early Jan

he seems normal, but you can also tell the writers are hinting that there may be another aspect to his personality that is a little less reasonable

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Defender, you can't be this dumb

"What's up, doc?" was a regional expression of greeting made famous by Bugs Bunny. Nobody ever tricked someone by claiming that something smelled like "updoc". What are you talking about.

Yes, that is correct. So by making a statement about "updoc," which is just "up" and "doc" run together, you trick the other person into asking "what's updoc?" and then respond as if they had used that regional greeting made famous by Bugs Bunny. Saying "it smells like updoc" or "you've got some updoc on your shirt" or "how much is a can of updoc" are all ways to start it.

Changing "doc" to "dog" is a modernization, since people are now dogs instead of doctors, which is a societal flaw that is clearly the fault of the black people. Although not Bill Cosby, as he played a doctor on television. However, changing it takes away the pop culture reference to Bugs Bunny.

Do you understand now? I might be able to break it down further for you. I think we're nearing the point where my sister would get it, but I might be able to dig deeper.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Charles has this vein in him that suggests that he may be more than the straight man

like early Jan

he seems normal, but you can also tell the writers are hinting that there may be another aspect to his personality that is a little less reasonable

Yeah, like the time he took everyone outside to play soccer. Or like when he acted as if he was about to kick Michael's ass when Michael was stealing documents. But that's another thing I like about him. He's not a robot, he is a regular man and has his personal interests and some basic human flaws. All around a real, believable person, and so far he seems like a good guy.

EDIT: Also, since this isn't It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, I don't feel like he is necessarily going to turn out to be a huge fucking asshole if he stays on the show for more than five minutes.

Defender on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    origin of What's up doc?
    'Eh, What's up Doc?' joins 'That's All Folks!' as the best-known lines from Tex Avery's Looney Tunes cartoon series. It was delivered by Bugs Bunny, while nonchalantly chewing on a carrot, in most of the cartoons in which the character appeared, beginning with A Wild Hare, 1940. This was the first Bugs Bunny cartoon, although Bugs wasn't named until the second cartoon - Elmer's Pet Rabbit ('Happy Rabbit', a prototype Bugs Bunny with a somewhat different personality had appeared earlier).

Avery explained how the line became established in the numerous cartoon confrontations between Bugs Bunny and the hapless hunter Elmer Fudd:

"We decided he [Bugs] was going to be a smart-aleck rabbit, but casual about it. That opening line of 'Eh, what's up, Doc?' floored them. They expected the rabbit to scream, or anything but make a casual remark. For here's a guy pointing a gun in his face! It got such a laugh that we said, 'Boy, we'll do that every chance we get.'"

Chuck Jones went on to explain that the demeanor of Bugs when delivering the line was adapted from Clark Gable's performance in It Happened One Night. In that film, Gable's character leans against a fence eating carrots and gives instructions with his mouth full to Claudette Colbert's character. The scene was well-known to audiences at the time who would have been well aware that Bugs was spoofing Clark Gable.

The line has outlived Bugs Bunny and is now commonly used worldwide as a jokey alternative to the straightforward query 'what's up?', i.e. 'what's going on?'.

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nice work, doc.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    spin move

zimfan on