As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EA's third quarter 2008 results (Warhammer something something)

ManaByteManaByte Furious FanboySouthern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
Highlights

* EA was the leading publisher in North America with approximately 20 percent segment share according to NPD. In Europe, EA was number two behind Nintendo with an estimated 16 percent segment share.
* EA had 13 titles rated 80 or above in calendar 2008 – up from seven a year ago.
* FIFA 09 was EA’s best selling title with 7.8 million copies and charted at number one across all platforms in Europe in the holiday quarter.
* Rock Band was the number one title across all platforms in North America for calendar 2008, based on NPD data.
* Need for Speed Undercover sold 5.2M copies. For fiscal year 2010, the Company will launch three separate versions of Need For Speed (NFS), NFS Shift for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, NFS Nitro for the Wii™ and Nintendo DS™ and NFS World Online for the PC.
* LITTLEST PET SHOP sold 2.8 million copies on the Nintendo DS, Wii and PC. In the holiday quarter, it was a top-five title on the Nintendo DS in Europe and North America, based on NPD data.
* Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning®, an MMO from EA’s Mythic Entertainment studio, ended the quarter with over 300K paying subscribers in North America and Europe.
* EA’s digital direct-to-consumer revenue, which includes online and wireless, was $313 million year-to-date, up 27 percent year-over-year.
* Pogoâ„¢ achieved an all-time high of 1.7M paying subscribers in the quarter.
* EA Mobile™ is the world’s leading publisher of games for phones – with revenue of $50 million in the quarter – up 28 percent year-over-year.

300k active accounts for Warhammer. In September of 2008 they had 800k active accounts and 1.2 million copies of the game sold. The game cratered, and knowing EA's history with MMOs; it doesn't have much life left.

EA has run and shut down the following MMOs:

Motor City Online: October 2001-August 2003
Earth and Beyond: September 2002-September 2004
The Sims Online: December 2002-August 2008 (renamed EA Land prior to closing)

ManaByte on

• Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Glad I didn't end up getting it.

I've almost went back to WoW I've been so bored as of late, what with the season being kinda slow for paintball.

Someone save me D:.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ManaByte wrote: »
    300k active accounts for Warhammer. In September of 2008 they had 800k active accounts and 1.2 million copies of the game sold. The game cratered, and knowing EA's history with MMOs; it doesn't have much life left.

That's actually pretty normal for MMOs. They tend to have big spikes in sales and subscriptions in the first month or two and then taper off. That it's still at 300k isn't a bad sign.

All of those games they shut down had ridiculously low subscription numbers at the time they were shut down. Earth & Beyond, as much as I loved it, peaked at around 15k subscribers, and it still lasted two years before the servers went down.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    300k sounds pretty decent to me. That's a solid bit of cash coming in every month.

NotYou on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2009
    It's funny because before release, MBJ said that their goal was around 300k subscribers.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ManaByteManaByte Furious Fanboy Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They'll be consolidating servers soon. On some servers the pop is so low it is completely impossible to do public quests.

ManaByte on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

That's actually pretty normal for MMOs. They tend to have big spikes in sales and subscriptions in the first month or two and then taper off. That it's still at 300k isn't a bad sign.

All of those games they shut down had ridiculously low subscription numbers at the time they were shut down. Earth & Beyond, as much as I loved it, peaked at around 15k subscribers, and it still lasted two years before the servers went down.
    Word.

Plus the game has a pretty strong community, and fills a gap in the MMO demand.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    They'll be consolidating servers soon. On some servers the pop is so low it is completely impossible to do public quests.

On some servers the pop is so high there are still queues. 8-)

WAR showed the world what a powerful marketing machine can do for initial MMO sales. The end result, however is par for the course when it comes to MMOs. Between 300-400k subscribers was their goal so I don't think it has really bombed to be honest.

Didn't meet everyone's expectations? Probably, but that is the other side of the marketing sword.

edit: also, WAR discussion would probably get better response in the MMO subforum ;x

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ManaByteManaByte Furious Fanboy Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    robothero wrote: »

WAR showed the world what a powerful marketing machine can do for initial MMO sales. The end result, however is par for the course when it comes to MMOs. Between 300-400k subscribers was their goal so I don't think it has really bombed to be honest.

Didn't meet everyone's expectations? Probably, but that is the other side of the marketing sword.

Before it came out Mythic was going out of their way to arrogantly proclaim the game as a WoW killer.

ManaByte on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Every developer says that about their MMO.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    You people have some warped benchmarks for MMORPG subscribers.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Before it came out Mythic was going out of their way to arrogantly proclaim the game as a WoW killer.

This is completely false. Many gaming blogs and shows took the blatant Warhammer/Warcraft rivalry to try and make that point for them. Mark Jacobs even went out of his way to say that they didn't expect to topple WoW, and that the game is for a different market.

"We're not going to hit the same numbers as WoW" ref

"Warhammer Online [will be] a strong entry in the MMORPG space. No, I don't think it's going to rival WoW, but no one would ever predict that. But it is a strong game that will ... get our returns for us. We're proud of it." ref

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Ugh, do companies still use the phrase "xxxx killer"? It's bad juju.

WAR is pretty different from WOW anyway, I don't know why someone at Mythic would be so eager to make the comparison.

EDIT: Unless they didn't...

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    We do have a video game sales thread for this kind of discussion.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    7.9 million for Fifa 09.

Suck on that Madden.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You missed the big news. The results are so bad EA's laying off more people, and they're delaying several games to move them out of the current fiscal year, including Dragon Age and Sims 3.

Edit: A link may help. http://www.gamespot.com/news/index.html?tag=latestheadlines;header;more

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They'll keep WAR around. Mythic is a pretty smart team that's run profitable MMOs before. I imagine it will make money with 300k subscribers. And if they continue to make the game better and release a couple expansions they could see more people sub.

They knew they would lose a lot of people once Lich King hit.

Drool on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

If I remember correctly Mythic's comment on WoW was along the lines of "WoW is like the Beetles and no MMO we make will ever be the Beetles." According to Paul. I never remember anything about them claiming WAR being a WoW killer.

Also 300k Subscribers is a very nice number for a new MMO.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It would be seriously poor form for a company to directly knock another game (MMOs in particular, given the community aspect) out there. Hell, I know people who work at Blizzard that were hoping for WAR to be a big success. Nothing kills a genre more than lack of competition and innovation.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    300k subscriptions will not get WAR closed down. That's pretty damn successful for paid Western MMOs.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2009

To be honest, they had way too many servers open at release. Some big-name guilds had picked servers before release; other people flocked to these servers. Several servers ended up being desolate wastelands due to this, while the big-name servers got horrible queues.
    Shady3011 wrote: »

We have moderators for these kinds of decisions.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Macro9 wrote: »
    300k subscriptions will not get WAR closed down. That's pretty damn successful for paid Western MMOs.

The important thing is the rate of dropoff in subscribers. IIRC Conan had a similar slide.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

The important thing is the rate of dropoff in subscribers. IIRC Conan had a similar slide.

AOC had a much rougher start than WAR. WAR also managed to release content through patches a bit quicker.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    * Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning®, an MMO from EA’s Mythic Entertainment studio, ended the quarter with over 300K paying subscribers in North America and Europe.

Um, wow. WOTLK pulled me away from it, but I didn't think it was BAD per say... Is it as barren as it sounds?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

AOC had a much rougher start than WAR. WAR also managed to release content through patches a bit quicker.

And like I had said, it's pretty normal for a modern MMO to start high and then slip down.

300k subscribers at this point isn't shabby. Patches are frequent and the game actually is getting better as they work on it, so hopefully it can maintain its numbers. WotLK came out shortly after WAR, which cut into its subscription numbers and it was an early MMO and it had and still has its fair share of problems.

300k down from 800k doesn't sound great, but it's not going to kill the game, especially if they can keep it that way. Before WoW and its massive population, the most successful MMOs didn't even reach numbers as high as WAR has right now.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://twitter.com/multiplayers
    Totilo: Dead Space to Wii

Couscous on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

This. Right here is the big difference between AoC and WAR. (among others but you get the point)

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Will never happen.

Now - Mass Effect 2 Q4 09 is something worth getting excited about.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    HiravaxisHiravaxis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    From WARHAMMERALLIANCE:
    Currently listening to the conference call now, and that equates to $150MM profit too. Yeah, don't see the problem here...most MMOs don't have this number.

Hiravaxis on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »

We have moderators for these kinds of decisions.
    I have a penis for various reasons.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    Um, wow. WOTLK pulled me away from it, but I didn't think it was BAD per say... Is it as barren as it sounds?

No. Like I said, some servers still have queues.

They had way too many servers at release.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Will never happen.

Why not?

Couscous on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Warhammer Online is infinitely better than WOW in my opinion. I wish it would have come out around when WOW did because then I would have been able to keep my subscription open... But, as it stands, I am running low on funds and have to live month to month with only Gamefly.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Will never happen.

Why not?

The entire game would have to be rebuilt to run on the Wii hardware. And I mean literally all of it. Not just a texture swap.

Maybe a Dead Space branded game, sure. Why not. But this isn't a Resident Evil 4 situation. Dead Space did not come out on Gamecube. It isn't a port job.

Look at how badly Dead Rising has been butchered just to fit on the Wii spec.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Will never happen.

Why not?

The entire game would have to be rebuilt to run on the Wii hardware. And I mean literally all of it. Not just a texture swap.

Maybe a Dead Space branded game, sure. Why not. But this isn't a Resident Evil 4 situation. Dead Space did not come out on Gamecube. It isn't a port job.

Remember when the Nintendo faithful on this forum still argued that the Wii still had tricks up its sleeve to pull off near 360 graphics?

I miss those days.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Will never happen.

Why not?

A Dead Space branded game is coming to the Wii. No clue on whether it is a spin off or what.
    http://twitter.com/ncroal
    "We're bringing core intellectual property to the Wii." First example? Dead Space, comig to Wii this year. No-brainer after how Res Evil 4.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

Will never happen.

Why not?

Remember when the Nintendo faithful on this forum still argued that the Wii still had tricks up its sleeve to pull off near 360 graphics?

I miss those days.
    It can for sufficiently crappy 360 games. :P

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    http://kotaku.com/5145788/dead-space-wii-announced

I hope it's more or less like RE4 on the Wii.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    no sass in this thread

Captain K on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Littlest Pet Shop, the unstoppable juggernaut of FY09 handheld games. Who woulda thunk it?

300k for Warhammer feels pretty good. Well inside any reasonable estimate of profitability, and it's actually rather impressive considering they got followed to market with Lich King, arguably the best MMO expansion ever. Has WAR even launched in Asia yet? I remember reading recently that they'd just hit the Russian market, figure Asia can't be too far behind.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/03/ea-confirms-mass-effect-2-and-battlefield-bad-company-sequel/

Looks like ME2 will be out early next year. Also, a multiplatform release though not sure if that means also PS3.

Shady3011 on