As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ludicrous Speed Beavo[chat]

• Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah actually I just checked the artist oils and they are comparable to what you say you paid. I guess the mystery of expensive gouache goes unsolved!

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Metal, will you be my sugar daddy?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh, by the way, Betel; a quick thing I forgot about gouache that you'd want to keep in mind when painting with them; they dry much lighter than the wet paint. Or darker; I can't remember perfectly. Anyway, this seems to be a pretty thorough introduction to gouache, if you're interested.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bookmarked! And thanks for the really ambiguous tip about drying lightness! Hehe I will figure that out soon enough I'm sure :D

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Wikipedia justifies my ambiguity; according to them, darker colors dry lighter, and lighter colors dry darker. Go figure.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guys the ultimate genesis collection for the 360 is pretty awesome.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Watchmen...
    was not Watchmen.

I am not surprised.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's okay srsizzy, you also thought The Dark Knight sucked. My faith in the movie is unchanged.

Godfather on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I cant wait for the end of this semester, i'm gonna have super powers and shoot lazers from my eyes from drawing so much.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    That's okay srsizzy, you also thought The Dark Knight sucked. My faith in the movie is unchanged.
    It's funny how memories warp the past.

I never said the Dark Knight sucked. I said it wasn't perfect, and I had problems with the plot.

I could make positive and negative arguments for either of these films, because life isn't perfect, and we all see the world a little askew.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My stomach feels like it has curled up into a ball about the size of a marble. It's rather painful.

I wonder if I should go to the emergency clinic.

Tam on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I got a free Shamrock Shake tonight! Plus I watched Double Team. If anyone likes terribly bad movies, this one is probably right up your alley.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It's probablyyy jusssst gas.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    My stomach feels like it has curled up into a ball about the size of a marble. It's rather painful.

I wonder if I should go to the emergency clinic.

I dont' want to hear any shit from you until it curls up to the size of a pea.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So i'm really starting to like my History of Animation class.

I didn't realize how big of a flop Sleeping Beauty was. If it wasn't for Disneyland that film would have killed the studio right then and there. That one took me by surprise.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    So i'm really starting to like my History of Animation class.

I didn't realize how big of a flop Sleeping Beauty was. If it wasn't for Disneyland that film would have killed the studio right then and there. That one took me by surprise.

What's surprising is that movie sucks even today. Now that's staying power.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I liked using gouache. I keep hoping I'll have some spare time to break it out again soon.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I wonder if drinking Coke will alleviate the pain

let's see shall we...

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    As opposed to being good then and sucking now.

Everything sucks eventually. Just depends on who you are.

These generations think they're the center of the universe in a way no other possibly could.

I wonder how that will turn out...there's a limit to how many movies and books we can remember before we boil over and run out of room to care.

srsizzy on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    so more info on the italy thing:
    there is one academy that offers a year long intensive drawing program which costs a little over 13k USD
    that's about the same as it'd cost for me to go to university here and would probably benefit me waaaay more
    so i'm thinking of applying to that
    still haven't heard anything about the cost of the month program

will keep you guys posted.

here's the year long program one:
    http://www.florenceacademyofart.com/
    it's actually 3 years. first is drawing, second is painting, third is...crazier painting haha
    but you get a certificate after all three years and can choose how far you want to go based on what you want to do with it all.

That atelier is located in a really nice spot too.

You should do it, then we can hang out !

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    srsizzy wrote: »

These generations think they're the center of the universe in a way no other possibly could.

I wonder how that will turn out...there's a limit to how many movies and books we can remember before we boil over and run out of room to care.

What the fuck are you even talking about? Are you just hoping you'll make sense so someone will start arguing with you?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

great! :D

NightDragon on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Watchmen...

*spoiler*

Arg...! You tempt me so with your spoiler (I covered the screen when I quoted you, so I didn't see it). So far I've managed to not only avoid all spoilers, but anything related to the plot. I've never read the graphic novel. I haven't read any reviews beyond a score out of ten/percentage/star rating/etc. Hell, I haven't even seen the trailer yet.

My plan is to be completely unbiased when I go to see the film. I don't want to judge it based on critic's opinions, or prior preconceptions, or by comparing it to the graphic novel. I want to sit down and work and the good and bad of the film - and only as a film, forgetting the graphic novel - for myself.

Only then I will read the graphic novel and see how much better the source is than the adaptation.

EDIT: Well shit the chat thread moves fast. This is why I post mainly late at night, when no-one's around; the pace is more managable.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

What the fuck are you even talking about? Are you just hoping you'll make sense so someone will start arguing with you?
    Haha...that's a good idea, but no. I don't look for arguments, contrary to how reality appears to present itself. I seem to find them, and they seem to find me, but I feel like most things are mutually affected most of the time.

Just saying that the technological and academic growth of the last century, which has allowed us to be aware of much of history as well as much as what's happening currently, can make it easy for us to not really conceive of a moment outside of the current one. Technological jumps makes the present seem more significant...

And as for films...I was just thinking about how all of the old empires lasted hundreds of years to be reduced to dust. We live in our modern culture, we shun those who have not participated in the cultural memes in films and books and television, we say that this film is good and that one is bad though we have no standard because aesthetics are not objective.

And eventually it could all be dust again...but there seems to be the capability for this not to be the case, at least for an amount of time inconceivable to a person. Of course, none of us will live to know how it turns out unless it ends...
    Flay wrote: »
    Watchmen...

*spoiler*

Arg...! You tempt me so with your spoiler (I covered the screen when I quoted you, so I didn't see it). So far I've managed to not only avoid all spoilers, but anything related to the plot. I've never read the graphic novel. I haven't read any reviews beyond a score out of ten/percentage/star rating/etc. Hell, I haven't even seen the trailer yet.

My plan is to be completely unbiased when I go to see the film. I don't want to judge it based on critic's opinions, or prior preconceptions, or by comparing it to the graphic novel. I want to sit down and work and the good and bad of the film - and only as a film, forgetting the graphic novel - for myself.

Only then I will read the graphic novel and see how much better the source is than the adaptation.
    I agree. Which is why that spoiler contained almost no content. I feel bad for seeing this before most people, and I have mixed feelings about one of my friends begging me to tell him what I thought specifically.

It's a good idea to see the movie first. Always better off in the end. Only leaves room for further appreciation.

srsizzy on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    so if a dude wanted to buy some artwork

this would be the place to ask right

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I accidentally broke the social entropy corner by asking them to help me make animals

Edit: and yes it would

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    What's he throwing a sizzy fit about now?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm sure its something important.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    I accidentally broke the social entropy corner by asking them to help me make animals

Social Entropy has corners now? I've always pictured it as an irregular mishapen blob.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    alright it is good to be in the right place

now i must figure out how to articulate myself in art speak

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Loom, what thread was this in

I must know

Tam on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What possible problems could any body have with The Dark Knight? Every element was pretty much perfect.

(Except for Maggie Gyllenhaals constantly tired looking sad horrible face. But that's more of a personal preference.)

Also, when is terminator four out, and why was there a fucking huge transformers style robot in the trailer? :(

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What possible problems could any body have with The Dark Knight? Every element was pretty much perfect.

(Except for Maggie Gyllenhaals constantly tired looking sad horrible face. But that's more of a personal preference.)

Also, when is terminator four out, and why was there a fucking huge transformers style robot in the trailer? :(

there were huge robots in the first one too

they just had like... treads.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nothing.
    Just these...tachyons.

srsizzy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Tam wrote: »

Loom, what thread was this in

I must know

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=84501

For some reason when I made a thread everyones posts started getting reversed and placed in different locations after posting so now the chat thread sounds like a conversation with myself.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I accidentally made eye contact and he started talking to me.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I accidentally made eye contact and he started talking to me.
    Do you really hate me this much?

That's unfortunate. I guess I'll learn from it though.

srsizzy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    so more info on the italy thing:
    there is one academy that offers a year long intensive drawing program which costs a little over 13k USD
    that's about the same as it'd cost for me to go to university here and would probably benefit me waaaay more
    so i'm thinking of applying to that
    still haven't heard anything about the cost of the month program

will keep you guys posted.

here's the year long program one:
    http://www.florenceacademyofart.com/
    it's actually 3 years. first is drawing, second is painting, third is...crazier painting haha
    but you get a certificate after all three years and can choose how far you want to go based on what you want to do with it all.

Holy crap! That is one hell of a student gallery they've got there.

I'm very impressed, but it looks like you've got to have a bit of skill and a hell of a work drive to be able to commit to that. I don't think this will be a problem for you, but it definitely looks like the student selection process would be tough.

Man, to study abroad in another country would be aces. Don't hesitate if you've got the chance.

Godfather on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    oooh my goooood those student sculptures make me want to sculpt sooooo baaaaad

Oh man, I should totally do a self-portrait in Super Sculpey (I just saw one woman's self portrait there)

it would be so much fun!!!

And A LIVE MODEL AT MY BECK AND CALL! Fantastic.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh headache whyyyyyyyyyyy

I think I may have given myself a stress headache by worrying if my 'stop worrying' speech to ND that I left my house immediately after posting, came across too harshly.

If that's the case, that's pretty fucking ironic. And weird. More likely just lack of sleep and stressing about some potential freelance work I need to work out tomorrow.

So in addition to Book of Five Rings, I've also been making my way through How to Win Friends and Influence People, which is good and basically boils down to "hey try being friendly", but I can't help but read with a sarcastic inner monologue, saying things like, "Chapter 1: Why Don't You Go Suck Some Dicks", which probably means I'm a bad person with few friends.*

Fun fact: This is true.

EDIT: oh god ND's right there now this is awkward.

EDIT2: God loomdun your se thread is so fucking stupid.

Angel_of_Bacon on
This discussion has been closed.