As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nice [chat] blanco nino

1373839404143»

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ludious wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Cenj I got fake money riding that you're going to wind up a burnt out coke fiend within a month of landing in Seattle. Making money behind the Applebees, because Olive Garden made you leave.

You realize I'm showing up there with about $15K, right?

Fine. 2 months.

That's more like it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I could never just pick up and leave ... I know few enough people as it is.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mmmm. Lazy Sunday Dexter marathon. I love TV on DVD.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I could never just pick up and leave ... I know few enough people as it is.

Everyone I knew picked up and left.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aside from my immediate family there's nobody in this state that I have any sort of in-person relationship with.

And I have like four or five cousins in Seattle alone.

Of course, this is intentional.

I've spent the last 12 years refusing to form any bonds.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ImageShack ate some of my pictures :|

TL DR on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    The dodo becomes extinct. 1693

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Obviously God hates dodos. It had nothing to do with their evolution without natural predators.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Weekend is ending, whhhy.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Isn't 1693 when Columbus sailed the ocean blue? I am almost positive of it.

Ludious on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I always have a lot of Sunday anxiety. Pre-going back to work stress.

Ludious on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The dodo went extinct? NOOOOO!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Isn't 1693 when Columbus sailed the ocean blue? I am almost positive of it.

No, you're thinking of the invention of the telephone.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    20040804h.jpg
    Tycho wrote:
    He has returned, but don't get too excited. It's just for this one comic, and then he's going back.

I can say without satisfaction that we've been less than kind to Doom 3 over the course of its development. We make the calls that seem appropriate based on the information that exists, and by and large I think we do alright. Precisely because of the technology that runs it, the screenshots it produces are incapable of communicating what it can do in fullness. Simply put, you have never seen the things you will see playing this game. I'll give you an example.

They have a monster who is an upside-down head with legs, a la The Thing. If you look at it in a screenshot, it looks pretty stupid. When you see that the thing is actually draped with wet skin, skin that looks absolutely real in the simulated light, you might pull your feet back from under your computer desk. Even their rocket heads were not as hilarious as still screens make them out to be. Certainly, your introduction to them is highly unpleasant - but you probably know that already.

My machine is not new in any interpretation of that word. The only real claim to fame I have on here is the SATA RAID I sometimes refer to with affection - outside of that, we're talking about an AMD 2400, a gig of RAM, and a 9700 Pro. A couple summers ago, you might have coveted this beast at a LAN Party. These days, Farcry takes this machine out behind the woodshed.

I am startled at how well this game performs.

I'm running ATI's 4.9 Beta drivers, designed with this game in mind, and I'm able to play the game at 1024 by 768, high quality, with enough performance to feel like I'm getting the real deal. The game itself chose 800 by 600, but I have a reputation to maintain. If it chose the same thing for you, make the jump to 1024 manually and see if you can tolerate it. I think you'll agree, that simple leap is the difference between "marginal improvement over other genre entries" and "I am looking through my monitor at events which are occurring on another world."

id's storytelling, too, has come a long way. Someone over there played and loved Irrational's System Shock 2, working the notion of e-mails and audio diaries into the experience. Let me say something about the interfaces in game for a moment - the computers one interacts with are essentially perfect. Crisp, clean, genuine interfaces you manually interact with. As a developer, you're going to have a hard time getting away with some muddy, two-state texture after this.

I think that what I had expected was another piece of powerful technology gummed to a bare-bones proof of concept. That was cynical of me, but id virtually invented the "free standing tech demo as game" format. I'm happy to be wrong - this is a rich experience in its own right, cunning use of custom technology married to narrative enough to provide momentum. When one of these mod teams finalizes a co-op experience for this game, you may not hear from me for a while.

The Zalman Theatre 6 I can't recommend so easily. It's not the price that I find worrisome, I don't have any problem paying sixty dollars for something I'm going to use every day for hours on end. It's just that before I had them, I wasn't aware just how effective simulated surround sound was. If you don't have a point of reference, something to compare it to, there is this auditory wonderland that is just beyond your reach, and no technology enthusiast likes that sensation. Don't get me wrong - these headphones are an improvement over stereo headphones, which are themselves an improvement over two channel stereo speakers. In my case, this is the only Surround Sound I'm likely to own. The thing that is really potent about an actual surround sound setup that isn't communicated by this device is that, in a room set up for this kind of equipment, not only do sounds fire from a specific position, they fire from another location in space. The position is captured well enough, but you won't be looking around the room for imps - the sense of a larger audio environment, as opposed to one that is simply more precise, was always (for me) the "point."

At any rate, when I was setting everything up I found a surround sound audio file that helped me test things out. If you decide to take some kind of audio plunge, it might come in handy.

(CW)TB out.

to pay our share

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.