As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets go on down to South Park! WTF!

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Wendy Testaburger is almost always right and comes on top though. Her biggest opposition is usually Cartman

"Boo, Wendy Testaburger, boo"

If they hate liberals, they seem to like them winning

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Ed, dude, I never said this exact situation was humanizing. Comedy. In general. Which I clarified, and was an aside. No, "rape them to death" is clearly not the humanizing aspect in play, I specifically mentioned the Fallon example for that. It was a perhaps misplaced tangential comment on the overall landscape. Context as to why I find their (previously espoused) brand of politics potentially problematic.

Don't tell me you haven't run into at least a few "both sides are the same douche and turd sandwich lawl" types. We have them pop up occasionally on this very forum, to the point that it usually receives a fairly swift and visceral response. "Marching orders"? No. But it's a fairly commonly used refrain for those looking to justify their apathy or laziness or act as a thin veil to justify support for heartless individuals, policies, or campaigns.

The fuck.

Indeed.

More often than not when I see "both sides are the same" it's because individuals are annoyed and don't like either side. Not because they are, in fact, the same. Individuals can have a nuanced view of politics and not like either of the choices they are presented. I said this earlier, but just because one side is clearly better than the other (because the other is unimaginably bad) doesn't magically make it not also a bad choice. To just hand wave that away as lazy is in fact extremely lazy yourself.

Now I admit to not watching this season, haven't seen the show for years. That said, South Park deliberately ignores the nuances in politics (especially from the Democratic side) because then they'd have to realize that 1) voting for the "lesser evil" is a good thing to make sure the bigger evil isn't getting the big chair and 2) the SP creators fucking hate Democrats and liberals.

They act like it's good idea to burn the system to the ground, or that not participating is something to be proud of - which is a popular sentiment among many voters and does not improve the political atmosphere in the country. Instead it embraces defeatism, while provided less of a barrier for the Donald Trumps to become the next president.

They've occasionally made Wendy be the liberal surrogate, which I liked. Do they still do that? Nice to get another point of view in there they usually don't cover.

It's very easy to make a straw man out of the Democrats when they fail to include any of the better things they do, of course it depends how the SP's view those things as good. Which I'd be curious to know.

Their Hillary has never been very good IMO. They should take a hint from SNL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIerYP4ZpXI

and their joke about Bruce Jenner shitting on her was terrible, and a horrible joke to distort Hillary as a disaster, rather than a joke aimed at Trump.

Strangely their renditions of Obama and Mccain were impeccable. Wish I could see more of that in the show. Maybe they do from what I haven't seen. But I feel they haven't earned that trust since the show isn't apolitical and they regularly inject their ethics and politics into it. That's what made the show a hit to begin with.

The first bolded explains why you are missing the point of the joke on the second one. Context matters. In this case they have spent last season and this season so far shitting on Trump. They do make it clear they don't like Hillary either, but they did go as far as having Garrison (their Trump stand in) going as far as saying that she wouldn't be a bad president, or at least would be way better than him, last episode. The joke really was to just make fun of Trump and Jenner, and if you had the actual context from watching the show you would have gotten that.

As an aside, what is with all of the people who don't watch the show telling us about the show and how it really is lately without any actual knowledge about what's going on in it? That's not specifically directed at you Harry, there have been a lot of people doing that the last couple of weeks.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    It is a rough election and so any parody, regardless of context, will cause backlash. I think they have been very tame with what they could throw at Hillary TBH. If they were actually trying to harm.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    That was pretty good. Liked the random reference to the WoW episode :D

It also just occurred to me...
    Kyle finally whipped his weiner out after seeing his dad peed on by his mom :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'm fed up of the lack of proper Cartman.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Thought it was a great, especially how they showed the white knight male feminists in Cartman and a bit with Kyle, and then Butters going MRA. Plus I love the PC Pretzel. I'm waiting for Harambe to show up too, they're already halfway there with wieners out.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I'm fed up of the lack of proper Cartman.

I'm actually kind of liking it after the past couple of seasons where he was basically allowed to be as awful as possible without consequence.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh god, I had to skip forward a few times. It was just too mortifying for me to watch the whole thing. Pretty much the volleyball game, the marches afterwards, and Gerald's conversation with his wife. I got the gist, that was horrifying enough. The part where Gerald's in the park and sees the dog and groans made me die.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Ugh. This went past the line of what I'm capable of watching. File it away, never watch again.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    It's definitely possible I just haven't seen a bunch of episodes, since I tend to avoid the show, but I've thought that--like a lot of modern media--Parker and Stone have a fixation on Sen. Clinton, compared to her contemporaries. Aside from the whole Presidential Heist 2008. I think Pres. Obama had that whole "duck spewing shit" thing, but that's all I remember. I think they literally had Pres. Bush appear once or twice, but I really don't remember him saying...anything. At all. Certainly lots of character bashed/defended him, but was he ever even in the background on the show?

By contrast, Sen. Clinton's appeared a bunch. She had a bunch of small, split-second cameos distributed across the races, of course. And then there was that whole "Russian nuclear bomb in her vagina" thing which, you know, was kind of a focus (it was a memorable episode at least). And obviously she appears in person, rather than via surrogate, in this arc.

I could've sworn that in one of her episodes, the character of Sen. Clinton has more than all of Pres. Bush's cameos combined.

I'm not going to claim that's entirely negative though--just that they seem to be a lot more interested in portraying her (and there's certainly an argument to be made that of the three, she might be the most famous noawadays--though between 2000 to 2008, that wouldn't be the case). Circa 2003, 2004, I really doubt Parker and Stone had any disagreement with Sen. Clinton's Iraq War vote, but then again, neither did +80% of the American population as a whole, thanks to masterful government campaign on the subject. Or I'm mis-remembering how the two felt about the 2003 Gulf War.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Well for one they only recently started doing season arcs. Now that they are doing season arcs it is understandable if they focus more on the ongoing national issues that we are seeing. Additionally this election is probably one of the nastiest I have personally seen which makes for good parody. It is arguable whether Hilldawg has been on "more" than other presidents/hopefulls though. Obama had two full episodes to himself prior to full season arcs being a thing. And other minor showings I think as well.

Also they harped on Dubya pretty harshly in the 911 conspiracy episode and another one too from what I remember where they make him sound like he doesnt even know what is going on.

So in short I do not think they are focusing on Hillary because "Hillary". I think it is a combination of things and that the main focus anyway is how despicable Trump/Garrison is.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I mean, in terms of George W Bush, they kind of did a whole entire show mocking him...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/That's_My_Bush!

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I mean, in terms of George W Bush, they kind of did a whole entire show mocking him...

Yeah, I just don't remember much of him in South Park itself.

But there was that whole conspiracy theory episode.

• Options
    He admitted he was an idiot in the Ladder To Heaven episode where he wanted to bomb Heaven to stop Saddam Hussein.

(he was actually right though Saddam was up there)

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Warlock82 wrote: »

The point of that show was to mock the concept of sitcoms in general, and they also had a different cast planned if Al Gore won the election.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The only part of last night's episode that elicited a laugh from me was when the guy in group therapy squashed the member berries in his shirt pocket. That splurt sound effect was on point.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The only part of last night's episode that elicited a laugh from me was when the guy in group therapy squashed the member berries in his shirt pocket. That splurt sound effect was on point.

Gerald hissing at Sheila when she turned the lights on got a chuckle from me.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I'm glad they brought back the online streaming without Hulu (I just do not like Hulu) but holy hell I've sat through almost 5 minutes of ads before the intro even started.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    So uh, did anyone else notice this?
    RIPTroll66: Jerry Blumpkin. Jerry FUCKING BLUMPKIN

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

The part that got me was when Gerald was trying to climb up from under the bridge.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

The part that got me was when Gerald was trying to climb up from under the bridge.

Yeah that was fantastic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I was really not expecting to see
    a bunch of cartoon little kid weiners. (yes I feel the need to specify im talking about cartoons, given the subject matter!)

in a tv show.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    they did it a few years ago when Cartman thought he was invisible and walked on stage naked

But that was one weiner and it wasn't on screen that long

so yeah, this was definitely an escalation i didn't think they'd get past censors.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    I have a feeling it will be censored in reruns, just like the episode where Cartman thinks he's invisible.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    oh they censor that in reruns? Even on comedy central?

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Not sure, I remember seeing a repeat of "Red Hot Catholic Love" and they censored the scenes of people pooping out their mouth. Can't remember if that was on Comedy Central or the random basic cable channel that plays reruns.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    I have a feeling it will be censored in reruns, just like the episode where Cartman thinks he's invisible.

I just saw the Japanese Weapons episode earlier that day and it wasn't censored at all. You saw weenier and all.

Hell, if Cartoon Network doesn't censor Kid Goku's penis in Dragonball, I doubt Comedy Central is going to censor anyone's.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    they did it a few years ago when Cartman thought he was invisible and walked on stage naked

so yeah, this was definitely an escalation i didn't think they'd get past censors.

Was that why there was no new episode last week? They were fighting with censors?

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    The look on Butter's face when he pulled his trousers down was beyond priceless. I also thought it was the perfect escalation from the previous episodes "stand up, sit down or take a knee for the national anthem".

• Options
    Yeah I think that is the core of the "mocking" of the kneeling protests. It takes something truly drastic to unite.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Was that why there was no new episode last week? They were fighting with censors?

No, they just have planned breaks. Theres two more, one after episode 6 and one after episode 8.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    I'm hesitant to say it, but I really like Cartman right now. His line about seeing the future of mankind in a brief flash of vagina seemed... genuine? Also hilarious. Its a shame to see people claiming he was acting like a "white knight" I didn't see that. I suppose I don't know what to look for. Maybe people are still very skeptical of his actions because its Cartman? Which is fair, I also assume some status quo will return by the end of the season, but for now he seems genuinely happy!

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Cartman will get outted at the end of the season as the biggest troll ever.

There's no way he's not plotting something massive.

It's gonna be a Keyser Soze moment.

RT800 on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Cartman will get outted at the end of the season as the biggest troll ever.
    There's no way he's not plotting something massive.
    It's gonna be a Keyser Soze moment.
    This is what everyone is expecting, and that expectation is why I think that Stone and Parker aren't going to go that route.
    To have their entire audience rooting for asshole Cartman to come back (despite all of us knowing he's a horrible person), only to have him actually change to be a better person (or at least become aware enough to fake being a better person) sounds exactly like their kind of humor.

Remember his meeting with PC Principal. Everyone was expecting Cartman to come out on top, to put the PC Principal in his place and possibly run him out of town (or get him lynched). Instead...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ZQED7bLhw

• Options
    I like that the characters seem to be genuinely and impossibly confused by cartman right now. Just no idea how to interact with a version of him that isn't actively being self-serving and fiendish.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    My thoughts are that Cartman has gone down too far in his rabbit hole.

Like, when he started wearing the "Token's Life Matters" shirt and being more PC, he saw that as a way to force people to do what he wanted. But somewhere down the line, he pretended to be a better person who cared about others and somewhere... he started to. Can't pin-point where, as he still kinda doesn't get it fully, like when he told Wendy that women were funny, and when she said she wasn't, he told her that she needed to sit her ass down because that kind of thinking was going to keep her in the kitchen. It's small things like that that makes me think he doesn't get it for the right reasons, but he is better than he was. Like people who are more accepting of Gay people because they think they are fashionable people (or in South Park's case, more accepting because it makes them not look like backwoods hicks).

• Options
  • Options

buffalo soldier :whistle:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    great episode, wheels within wheels, revelations are made, Gerald's speech about trolling is actually very accurate and understandable, and the episode speaks so much truth in the end.

Cartman and Heidi are terrible yet so, so accurate of people who have no barometer of a relationship. It reminds me so much of junior high (but that's sadly how some adults act too).

edit: and a theory

the danish troll machine will be a Death Star stand-in, and the trolls will somehow turn into Ewoks by the end

TexiKen on