As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Role-Play] Fallout 3! Episode 10: A New Direction

Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
Follow the adventures of Harvey Wang in the year 2277 as he adventures forth into the capital wasteland.

The gist is that Harvey Wang is a Chinese descendant of the invasion forces. Like all Chinese, he has a superpower in the correct year of his Chinese astrological sign. Harvey was born in the year of the Ox, giving him the awesome ability to survive 100 deaths in this year.

This is a game gimmick I came up with obviously to make the adventure interesting. If he dies 100 times that's it. I'll end it right there.

Here is the show.

Episode 1: Escape! Part1
Harvey Wang's house comes under attack by super mutants! Time for our man to find a way out.
Episode 2: Escape! Part2
Harvey is still running and getting shot trying to find the Girdershade settlement.
Episode 3: Girdershade
Harvey has arrived and meets a girl that arouses him, and a guy that angers him.
Episode 4: Searching for Dunwich
Harvey heard a whisper on the wind to look for "dunwich"
Episode 5: Dunwich Horror House part 1
Harvey enters Dunwich, plays with his sword, and gets high on drugs.
Episode 6: Dunwich Horror House part 2
Harvey continues to kill ghouls and thats about all he does.
Episode 7: Dunwich Horror House part 3
Harvey routinely slays ghouls, loots drugs, and gets covered in blood
Episode 8: A Short Jog to the Tower over Yonder
Harvey runs to a distant tower to find shelter since he needs some rest and recovery
Episode 9: The Tower
Harvey enters Tenpenny Tower, gets treatment for his condition, drinks some water, talks to a lady, and trades with a guy; exciting!
Episode 10: A New Direction (I Accidently called this one episode 9 in narration. Damnit)
Harvey decides that its not fun to get raped in a dark tunnel ghouls, so heads north-eat in search of a new place of interest.
Now comes the Let's Play part. I will try and go to or do whatever the first poster tells me to do with Harvey after each chunk of episodes, unless it's ridiculous or I don't want to for undisclosed reasons.

Any ideas for extra crazy, funny, or retarded things such as collecting something, having a drinking habit etc, can always be suggested.

Anything that I take from the posters I will give props to by mentioning their names in the episodes.

So you direct the adventure in whatever direction it should be directed in by you the directing semi-directors.

Starting now.

Funguy McAids on

• Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    OK, this is a lot better then before. I think the narration may be a little rusty, but it is still more entertaining then your first attempt. Good job.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thanks I know I'm more than rusty considering I've never done it before :P

I need some direction on where to go now.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Definitely much improved from the first let's play. :^: I look forward to the further adventures of Harvey Wang.

As a suggestion for story direction, I think a visit to Mama Dolce's near the Arlington Cemetary could be an interesting trip for Harvey, particularly as a descendant of the chinese invaders.
    Especially given that it's populated by ghouled chinese commandoes.

Just out of curiosity, which mods are you using? Those mutants seem to be giving poor harvey a much harder time than they usually do.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Are you anywhere near the Dunwich horror house? I never had the nerve to get past the first zombie there. Maybe you could take it on.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If he's in Girdershade he should be fairly close, its just a little to the west if I recall.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A far better effort than the first one, this could be a quality LP.

If you're anywhere near the Duncwich Horror House, as the persona bove me says, check it out.

Biosys on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Definitely much improved from the first let's play. :^: I look forward to the further adventures of Harvey Wang.

As a suggestion for story direction, I think a visit to Mama Dolce's near the Arlington Cemetary could be an interesting trip for Harvey, particularly as a descendant of the chinese invaders.

Just out of curiosity, which mods are you using? Those mutants seem to be giving poor harvey a much harder time than they usually do.

I'm using a vast collection of mods. I basically went to town on fallout3nexus.com and downloaded at least 10 quality mods per category. The difficulty is set on very hard with Jaynus' difficulty mod tuned to my tastes with modular .esp's.

Plus Harvey is level 2. He should get schooled by a team of radscorps let alone a gang of super mutants.

I have no idea where Arlington Cemetery is so I guess I can't head that way yet.
    Hybrid wrote: »
    Are you anywhere near the Dunwich horror house? I never had the nerve to get past the first zombie there. Maybe you could take it on.

Done.

Next episode after Girdershade will be The Dunwich horror house.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'm using a vast collection of mods. I basically went to town on fallout3nexus.com and downloaded at least 10 quality mods per category. The difficulty is set on very hard with Jaynus' difficulty mod tuned to my tastes with modular .esp's.

Plus Harvey is level 2. He should get schooled by a team of radscorps let alone a gang of super mutants.

I have no idea where Arlington Cemetery is so I guess I can't head that way yet.

Done.

Good job! This LP is much more entertaining then your first attempt. Interesting concept behind it.

Babble on
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Done.

Any chance we could get a list of mods?

I've never really managed to find decent quality mods, possibly out of laziness, so a list would be appreciated.

Biosys on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Biosys wrote: »

Any chance we could get a list of mods?

I've never really managed to find decent quality mods, possibly out of laziness, so a list would be appreciated.

Looking at fallout mod manager I have...

Larger Blood
    VATS Normal Weapon Degradation
    Jaynus - Big Booms V2
    KillableKidsNormalHealth
    Jaynus Radiantion Overhaul
    Jaynus Sneak Overhaul
    Jaynus Damage & Weapons Overhaul
    FollowersRelax
    JHatsNCaps
    NippyClothing
    YaoMeat
    FollowerArmorUnlocked1.0
    ClearSkies_V2
    MaxLevelWorkaround
    Vancesuit
    Ultimate Perk Pack 1
    Ultimate Perk Pack 2
    Ultimate Perk Pack Original Perks
    Ultimate Perk Pack Beverage Perks
    Ultimate Perk Pack Quest Perks
    Ultimate Perk Pack Experience Perks
    Aviators
    nochilduse
    Quickstart
    CharacterTraits
    MissingUniqueArmorClothing-Enhanced
    Better Living Through Chems
    NPC Height Randomizer
    Death Canyon v3
    Admiral Shlork's Highly Useful Masks
    Alternate Start - Roleplayers
    Bittercup_comp
    Nuclear Winter
    Mart's Mutant Mod

Damn I think I need to collect more mods!

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    localblackmanlocalblackman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I suggest that harvey becomes poisoned with some kind of vile disease that infuriates him and he goes on a murderous rampage to the nearest town. :winky:

localblackman on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Just posted episode 3. Harvey meets a lady and dislikes a dude.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Episode 4 up. Some cows die and a lot of running around.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Just watched episode 3, pretty nice! I'm looking forward to more.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Strange... I can watch the first 2 episodes in my iTouch, but not 3 and 4. Anyone have an ides? They're all made exactly the same way.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Did you take video 4 down? Was hoping to watch it! Episode 3 was creepy yet awesome.

Babble on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Strange... I can watch the first 2 episodes in my iTouch, but not 3 and 4. Anyone have an ides? They're all made exactly the same way.

I noticed video 3 doesn't have a high resolution option on youtube. I would assume these two problems are related. Did you change something with fraps or w/e you are using to edit the video?

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ok i'm looking into it as soon as I can, but I think I did it the same as the other videos.

That would explain my problem watching it on iTouch though.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    the narrating is what makes these videos golden.

he trades he trades he trades, he trades some more... he's pretty good at it, harvey's chinese he knows how to barter. :lol:

localblackman on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    "Harvey feels a funny sensation at taking the life of a man."

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The Dunwich episode looks like it will be cut into at least 3 episodes ughh...

Maybe that's too long for a single location; could get boring.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    *whistles* Wow, you weren't kidding when you said you had alot of mods. That's certainly quite the list of mods. Just finished episode 3, enjoying it so far. Keep up the good work man. Heh, I can't wait to see how many fatalities Harvey racks up inside Dunwich.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The Dunwich episode looks like it will be cut into at least 3 episodes ughh...

Maybe that's too long for a single location; could get boring.

Maybe just cut out a few of the more repetitive sections or something?

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm realizing that I need to play a certain way to make the editing easy. Try not to loot too much for too long, and don't back-track or waste time doing nothing.

I have been cutting parts when i don't like them. For instance I had a few attempts at killing that guy in Girdershade before I had some good footage. But I want the entire adventure to be seem continuous.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So, I think I missed the first thread, who did the commentary on your first let's play?

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

• Options
    edited March 2009
    wheres episode 5 you chink :P

EDIT: Jamesdm, he's doing them all and did the first one.. I talk with this guy regularly on MSN.

localblackman on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    JamesDM wrote: »
    So, I think I missed the first thread, who did the commentary on your first let's play?

My wife was doing commentary on the first ones.

I thought it was funny but I got a lot of negative feedback so I scrapped that idea

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Excellent, I thought they were funny but I grew up with FOB Laos, Thai and Viet people so maybe I'm a little biased?

That is of the least importance, the main point today is... when are we going to explore Dunwich, I'm mildly excited for episode 5.

JamesDM on

• Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Question, can you tell me where you find most of those mods? And did you actually jsut bring a cahracter to that house? or is there a mod that makes it like that?

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So far so good! I really like the character you chose to "RP" as. I look forward to more.

Babble on
  • Options
    AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like it, good job.

AyeJaye on
    delicious.
  • Options
    Fashionist PigFashionist Pig Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I approve of this. Episode 5 should be good.

Fashionist Pig on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Mifio wrote: »
    Question, can you tell me where you find most of those mods? And did you actually jsut bring a cahracter to that house? or is there a mod that makes it like that?

I made Harvey with the alternate roleplayers mod, then used no clipping mode to fly his ass across the sky and into that house.

All mods are downloaded from www.fallout3nexus.com

Maybe i'll have episode 5, 6, and 7 done tonight, but probably tomorrow. I'm a rather busy guy and I need alone time to do the recording. Dunwich will be cut into at least 3 parts. Then i'll be taking suggestions.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    episode 5 is up, though I think it sucks.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I thought it was enjoyable, I loved what you did with the drug trip out part, and your commentary is good I think. Looking forward to more!

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I thought it was enjoyable, I loved what you did with the drug trip out part, and your commentary is good I think. Looking forward to more!

thanks. positive reinforcement fuels me!

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    need episode 6

thanks

localblackman on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    China is currently blocking YouTube.

So i'm waiting for a while to upload.. :(

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Man, I can't believe there isn't more support for this. I have to ask, what is the ultimate goal of this LP, is there a way to "win" such a heavily modded version?

JamesDM on

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just found out someone made a speedrun to this game in around half an hour too. It was a little crazy.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz