Options

PowerPoint 2003 to PDF

DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, I've had enough of banging my head against a desk and figured I would turn to the helpful minds that make up the PA forum readership.

Here's the deal:

I've got a client that is a bit stuck in the past. We've been hired to develop a template that he can populate with information and then convert to a PDF for use on the web as well as a print.

The first issue is that he and his company don't have a graphic design program so we're doing this ghetto style: in PowerPoint.

Now, PowerPoint 2007 has a lovely "Save as a PDF" feature which works and gets the job done. However, Powerpoint 2000-2003 doesn't.

I've downloaded a free third party program that will let me convert the PP2003 slide into a PDF, but it keeps screwing with the page size and shrinking the pdf.

Help.

This is what I need:

A way to convert PP2003 slides into PDFs.

The program has to be free (and legal) and it has to not monkey with the page size.

Anyone able to lend a hand on this one?

DrZiplock on

• Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cutePDF?

Serpent on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    the only way i know to convert to PDF from word excel and powerpoint is adobe acrobat.

you can get the standard version for about 300 dollars but you might have this licensed at your work already. if that is the case, you might be able to give him a license for free.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Serpent wrote: »
    cutePDF?

Huh?

Dunadan... no dice. I am my work and don't have a license to throw around.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cutePDF is free. No need for a licence.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well, cutePDF certainly does what I want. However, it's still screwing with the size.

This must just be a downside of dealing with PP2003 and making a PDF.

Unless someone else has input as to why it's messing with it.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Alright, screw it.

Apparently I can pull it off in Word of all things.

It won't print edge to edge (printer set up, not my problem) but the PDF does what I need it to.

Lock this thread on down.

Also, much thanks for the cutePDF reference. It's perfect for what I need and I will take no small amount of joy from telling my very "old boys club" client he needs to download something called cutePDF.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You might be getting the size issues because a standard powerpoint page is not an 8 1/2 x 11 inch size (standard paper size).

Serpent on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In PowerPoint, you can save each slide out as a JPEG file. Can you do that, and just compile the separate images into a PDF?

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You could also, instead of Saving As a PDF just Print to the PDF-creation program. I know it works with Adobe but haven't tested it with any other PDF-creation programs. It's just a choice in the drop-menu of printers when you go to Print.

I find this way much, much easier than saving to a PDF, even in 2007. Sounds like you got it figure out, though.

LaOs on
  • Options
    CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Open it in OpenOffice (free) and save as PDF?

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    In PowerPoint, you can save each slide out as a JPEG file. Can you do that, and just compile the separate images into a PDF?

It's an option that I'm going to present the client with, yea. It would work without any kinks but these are the type of people that have a very set mindset when it comes to technology. It's not a PDF? It has to be a PDF? If you ask why, well, it just has to be.

Considering what they're paying for the job I'm not going to spend the hours beating them over the head.

Laos, that is pretty much what cutePDF is. You print to it and ta-da, you get a pdf.

The size issues were solved in word, there's a whole page size and stretch to fit dance that I had to do. It wasn't difficult once I figured it out but it was getting to that point that was riddled with stereotypical MS bullshit.

Thanks for the suggestions and help, gents.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Serpent wrote: »
    You might be getting the size issues because a standard powerpoint page is not an 8 1/2 x 11 inch size (standard paper size).

This. I had to create a new paper size in the page setup dialogue for 4:3 horizontal oriented slides (which measure 25.4cm x 19.05cm). I set the paper size to 19.05 x 24.4cm, click the scale to fit paper check box, and then print that mofo as a pdf. It all came out fine with no white space around the page or anything.

Trentus on