Options

The Netflix Thread (even on PS3!) - Now playing: Ink

13»

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus is available to stream now. Jus' sayin.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    sterling3763sterling3763 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The first three seasons of Farscape are available. Brilliant sci-fi, especially once things really get moving.

sterling3763 on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dexter, Season 1 and Dexter, Season 2 are on Instant Watch.

Watch. It is a great show. Sick. Weird. Awkward. But great.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Assault on Precinct 13

You're the second person to say this was great. I should probably check it out.

and I mean the original

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, Weeds is just dumb. It's like Breaking Bad for stupid people. I don't care if it came out first but it's definitely got all the issues that come with terrible Showtime shows and in spades. All of the humor is "witty" dialogue and controversial, over-the-top situations that all just comes off as pretentious and shallow. I know this because I watched all of the first season and most of the second......I was bored.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I disagree

!!!!

that's my argument.

Variable on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dexter, Season 1 and Dexter, Season 2 are on Instant Watch.

Watch. It is a great show. Sick. Weird. Awkward. But great.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm, The Girlfriend Experiment is streamable, huh? I've heard some interesting things about that.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm... Both Oldboy and the old, silent Metropolis are up for IV. I already have Metropolis on DVD, but if you haven't seen it before, I highly recommend it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't mean to be trolling the thread but I think Dexter is even worse. It's banking on people's fetish with serial killers and not even doing a good job of it. This guy's psychosis is him whining all through the pilot about being dead inside. Gah, what is this? Some highschool vamp's fan fiction?

Ok, I'm just going to take a deep breath and be useful by making some recommendations...

Barton Fink - it's the Coen Bros. What else do you want?

Let The Right One In - the best vampire movie ever made. Beats the shit out of Anne Rice and Twilight.

The Signal - it's like a good zombie flick, an off-beat dark comedy, and a psychological mindfuck all in one

Following - Christopher Nolan's first film and done in the style of Memento though it's not really as good. Still awesome though

The Host - the best damn monster movie ever. It's about a family coming together to kill a mutant fish.

Kontroll - a great set piece that explores the Budapest underground

Ok, now off to watch the Girlfriend Experience.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hmm... Both Oldboy and the old, silent Metropolis are up for IV. I already have Metropolis on DVD, but if you haven't seen it before, I highly recommend it.

yeah I think I'm gonna do this tonight. I've watched movies lately but I haven't really lost myself in anything in way too long and I think that movie is perfect for it. not that I don't have equally perfect movies on my shelf... but sjkl;dgna;kjgajk;sndgjnasdg !!
    Metropolis.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    I don't mean to be trolling the thread but I think Dexter is even worse. It's banking on people's fetish with serial killers and not even doing a good job of it. This guy's psychosis is him whining all through the pilot about being dead inside. Gah, what is this? Some highschool vamp's fan fiction?

Ok, I'm just going to take a deep breath and be useful by making some recommendations...

Barton Fink - it's the Coen Bros. What else do you want?

Let The Right One In - the best vampire movie ever made. Beats the shit out of Anne Rice and Twilight.

The Signal - it's like a good zombie flick, an off-beat dark comedy, and a psychological mindfuck all in one

Following - Christopher Nolan's first film and done in the style of Memento though it's not really as good. Still awesome though

The Host - the best damn monster movie ever. It's about a family coming together to kill a mutant fish.

Kontroll - a great set piece that explores the Budapest underground

Ok, now off to watch the Girlfriend Experience.

If you haven't seen the show since the first few episodes it's come a long way since then. The whole dead on the inside business is old news.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Holy shit. I just finished watching The Experiment. It's a fictional story based on the Stanford Prison experiment. It gets... rather fucked up.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    useless4 wrote: »
    You guys want a good indie low-key movie?
    Special with Michael Rapaport.

Honestly, this was one of the better movies I have seen this year.
    It's about a guy who honestly believes he has super powers - but it's not a cheesy movie by any stretch

I liked it, but felt the ending was lacking.

Then again it's an indie film so I'm not supposed to complain or something.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I really liked seasons 1 and 2 of Dexter. Season 3 I didn't like as much.

As for Weeds, season 4 was pretty meh.

edit:
    Oh, and I've also enjoyed The Tudors and Californication.

Also, Netflix has the first three seasons of Friday Night Lights on instant watch so fucking watch it goddammit.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I can stream on ps3 now?

then I can cancel my xbox live account.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I can stream on ps3 now?

Yessir

Unfortunately you have to have a PS3 disc sent to you

and you have to put it in whenever you want to watch :(

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I just saw Ink a bit ago and I really recommend it. Sure it's got some moments where the indie is just a little too much but there are some genuinely charming moments in it and the effects are refreshing if at times a smidgen distracting. Give it a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBGeErufQdY

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm checking out A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints and not really digging it.

Variable on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can stream on ps3 now?

Yessir

Also, the PS3 client is nowhere near as polished as the 360 client (I have both, and have tried both.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I can stream on ps3 now?

Yessir

Also, the PS3 client is nowhere near as polished as the 360 client (I have both, and have tried both.)

I think the PS3 client is really nice (a little slow at times). I haven't tried to 360 client in hell. . nearly a year though. What do you like about it?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I can stream on ps3 now?

Yessir

I think the PS3 client is really nice (a little slow at times). I haven't tried to 360 client in hell. . nearly a year though. What do you like about it?

The PS3 client is pretty much a port of the Roku firmware, while the 360 client is clearly built in the NXE structure. The 360 client is just cleaner, and has 2-axis navigation (like the PS3 XMB), while the PS3 client requires you to shift between which axis you're navigating. In other words, on the 360 client, you can either navigate a queue or shift queues with a single motion, while you have to switch between the two types of navigation on the PS3. Also, on multiepisode entries, the 360 client gives you the episode list first, while the PS3 client just pushes you to the first unwatched episode, where you then have to pick the episode list. And, of course, there's the fact that the 360 client is a download that sits on the HDD, while we won't get the PS3 downloadable client till mid next year.

Basically, it really shows that Microsoft helped Netflix get their client running on the 360, as opposed to the much more hands off approach Sony took.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'll probably stick with the 360 one then. odds of me bothering to make the switch were pretty low anyway.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'll probably stick with the 360 one then. odds of me bothering to make the switch were pretty low anyway.

Well, you can have up to 6 set-top boxen linked to your Netflix account, so if you put your 360 and PS3 in different rooms, you can use them both for Netflix viewing.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    hmmm. maybe I'll link my uncle's ps3 to my netflix so I can watch movies at his house.

Variable on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Thank you for recommending Kontroll, Talleyrand. I've been trying to remember the name of that movie for a dog's age.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The PS3 interface is really pretty clunky when it comes to handling multiple episodes.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    One thing I've noticed is that newer shows (like the showtime ones) look to have DVD quality picture even when I'm on a pretty low tier broadband connection (like <1mbps) which is pretty awesome.

I watched Man on Wire last night which I really liked and I think I'll be watching either Thin Blue Line or No End In Sight next.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I watched Kekexili: Mountain Patrol today. And boy was it. . .

wow. poignant stuff. and quite beautifully filmed. if anyone has audio troubles with it let me know as I am curious if that's a PS3 thing.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wonder why Netflix instant play looks like crap on my Macbook with all the artifacts but looks great on my TV through the 360? Is it just a trick of the eye or is it actually better?

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I wonder why Netflix instant play looks like crap on my Macbook with all the artifacts but looks great on my TV through the 360? Is it just a trick of the eye or is it actually better?

Probably a client issue (since the Netflix client for PCs is built on Silverlight.)

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I think it depends on what you're watching. I've watched stuff on my PC that looks like crap (I think was an episode of Blue Planet) but when I watched The Tudors on the same laptop and on the same connection, the quality was pretty amazing. I watched Stand and Deliver on an even faster connection than what I watched The Tudors on and it looked a bit worse (plenty more noticeable artifacts).

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So, documentaries worth watching:

Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room: Seriously, if you haven't watched it yet, you really should. Based on the book of the same name, the movie details the elements that comprised the utter collapse of the former energy titan.

MaxedOut: A good documentary about the glut of cheep credit that permeated the past decade and helped trigger the financial crisis we're currently in. Some of the stories can be pretty chilling, especially the one about the college student who committed suicide over mounting debt.

McLibel: Excellent documentary covering the famous "McLibel" case in Britain. The documentary doesn't just focus on the main McLibel case, but also the problems with British libel law and the eventual second case against the British legal system in the EU high courts, as well as eventual media spinoffs targeting McDonalds (such as Morgan Spurlock's Supersize Me (also on Netflix)) in the much safer American system.

Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession: Great documentary chronicling the run of the Los Angeles area premium movie channel that became a driving force in Hollywood culture. Worth watching not just for the story, but also for the listing of great movies.

Medival Lives: Hosted by former Python and history scholar Terry Jones, this series debunks many myths of the Middle Ages in a most entertaining manner. Jones puts both his comedic and scholarly chops to work here to great effect.

Reclaiming The Blade: Good documentary about the research and revival of Western swordsmithing and combat. While there is limited discussion of Eastern schools, it serves mainly as a counterpoint to illustrate the lost Western schools from the Middle Ages.

Welcome To Macintosh: Great documentary about the iconic Apple-made personal computer. A bit on the Cult of Steve side, to be sure, but still a fun watch about an important part of computer history.

Bigger Stronger Faster*: An excellent look at American society's frankly schizophrenic view of doping in sports and in life. Pretty eye-opening from a cultural perspective.

Not Quite Hollywood: Excellent documentary about the "Ozploitation" era of Australian genre cinema. Definitely not safe for work or mixed company on account of all the nudity (including one full frontal shot of John Holmes guaranteed to make any man feel perfectly inadequate), but worth watching to learn about a period of Australian cinema that had effects bot domestically and in the international cinema world.

I.O.U.S.A.: Good documentary about the US debt, and what it actually means for the average American, as well as the elements of our spending that generate it.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The documentary Street Fight is also really good.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg