As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come on down to crazy Michele Bachmanns crazy house of crazy!

13»

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    BOOM SHAKA LAKA
    IL04_109.gif

This is basically Illinois' answer to "what's it take for a mexican/latino to get elected in this state?"

Where in the hell is that contiguous??

I-294
    Welcome to Chicago, bitches.

Where we don't play?

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Isn't IL-04 Rahm's district?

Nope.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The 4th Congressional District of Illinois includes part of Cook County, and has been represented by Democrat Luis Gutierrez since January 1993.

It was featured by The Economist as one of the most strangely drawn and gerrymandered congressional districts in the country.[1] It was created to contain two majority Hispanic parts of Chicago.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    IA-districts-108.JPG

My home state is awesome. We know how to follow county lines, bitches.

Those districts are pretty straight-forward.

Some might say....

...ironically straight...

Tox on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So in those pictures of the districts...The white areas surrounded by the green areas that seems to be downtown areas of major cities...Would it be safe to assume black people live in those areas?

Not black people, Democrats.

Was there a single major urban area that went for McCain, again?

Phoenix. :P

Also, depending where you draw the cutoff for "major," Oklahoma City. It's pretty big, and has a pro sports team now.

Aside from that, IIRC he lost the few major metro areas that Bush won. Which wasn't many to begin with. I think he even lost Salt Lake City.

But yes, I think these maps make it pretty obvious how some fucking nutcakes win and keep House seats.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    IA-districts-108.JPG

My home state is awesome. We know how to follow county lines, bitches.

Kansas_2007_congressional_districts.JPG
    This is what your state looks like when you've got the population of a single coastal city spread out over an area bigger than a good number of countries.

We're basically one or two big towns this side of wasteland.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Admittedly, gerrymandering is not a requirement for the presence of fruitcakes.
    A soldier, man or woman, could get drunk in Bangkok, wake up in the morning and be married, as will happen sometimes in places like Las Vegas or Bangkok, be killed the next day, and the spouse who was a product of the evening's celebration would have then a right to claim access to come to the United States on a green card.
    I will tell you that if [Barack Obama] IS elected president, then the radical Islamists, the al Qaida and the radical Islamists and their supporters will be dancing in the streets in greater numbers than they did on September 11th.
    [I pray] that Justice Stevens and Justice Ginsberg fall madly in love with each other and elope to Cuba.
    My wife lives here with me, and I can tell you, Mr. Speaker, she's at far greater risk being a civilian in Washington, D.C., than an average civilian in Iraq.
    [Union organizers] are economic weapons of mass destruction.
    There probably are not 72 virgins in the hell [al-Zarqawi] is at. And if there are, they probably all look like Helen Thomas.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wow, damn....fuck....

Tox on
  • Options
    shosarshosar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah . . . Sorry about Bachmann guys. I tried, I mean really, I even voted in my parents district rather than my own so that I'd be able to vote against her. But when the entire area is inhabited by single-issues voters and ignorant Palinites, and the only opposition is a guy named Tinklenberg . . . it was kind of a losing battle.

shosar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    shosar wrote: »
    Yeah . . . Sorry about Bachmann guys. I tried, I mean really, I even voted in my parents district rather than my own so that I'd be able to vote against her. But when the entire area is inhabited by single-issues voters and ignorant Palinites, and the only opposition is a guy named Tinklenberg . . . it was kind of a losing battle.

heheheh....Tinklenberg.

Tox on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    [I pray] that Justice Stevens and Justice Ginsberg fall madly in love with each other and elope to Cuba.
    [

This guy is crazy but at least it's fucking hilarious

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

So, were those quotes originally written in crayon on a paddle wall, or what?

Duffel on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    King claimed that history showed McCarthy to be "a hero for America".
    In mid-January 2009, King acknowledged that terrorists were not dancing in the streets, and in fact "They have made statements against Obama." He also said that he found Obama’s decision to use his middle name, "Hussein", when he is sworn in as the 44th President of the United States on January 20, 2009, to be "bizarre" and “a double-standard."

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think using his middle name was kind of a big F-U to the crazy-talkers.

Tox on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Isn't IL-04 Rahm's district?

Nope.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The 4th Congressional District of Illinois includes part of Cook County, and has been represented by Democrat Luis Gutierrez since January 1993.

It was featured by The Economist as one of the most strangely drawn and gerrymandered congressional districts in the country.[1] It was created to contain two majority Hispanic parts of Chicago.

The insanity of the politics is represented by the districts.
    (Actually, Luis Guitierrez just needs a district for the hispanics to stay with the establishment. It's pretty cut and dry as far as political motivation goes.)

Picardathon on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Georgia has a ton of counties, but we only have 13 very large and simple districts. :D

MKR on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok NJ's 13th district is a little weird but methinks it is just cause it's NYC suburbs

NJ13congressdistrict.gif

Of course it may also be for the hispanics

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought this was the chat thread.

But

hey

gerrymandering!

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Of the district's 647,258 residents, 308,247 identified themselves as being Hispanic, accounting for 47.6% of the district's population.[1]
    I'm going to say hispanics.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    You know that the last time I had cigarette, I smoked half a pack of cigarettes and drank a fifth of scotch on the roof of some random apartment, listening to this version of the footloose soundtrack at four in the morning.

Strangely comforting.

What?

Couscous on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm philosophically okay with weird-looking boundaries that serve to unite minority groups into large enough blocks to control a house seats, rather than being spread out and outnumbered across a large number of more aesthetically pleasing districts.

MrMister on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    MN06_109.pngI've seen worse.

I love colorado CD-7
    CO07_110.gif

From what I remember, that's not as crazy as it looks.... I think the giant cut-out in Adams there is the Denver airport, which is...part of Denver. And the rest of it covers (most of) the bigger Denver suburbs.

Though I'm from Texas, so my perception of gerrymandering may be a bit skewed.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Welcome to Adams County, Colorado. Where we're going, we don't need airports"

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bachmann kind of looks like a grade school music teacher to me. Well, a former grade school music teacher who was fired for devouring her student's souls.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OHHH OHHH! this is my district! I met her in person!

She is a nutto.

She is set to speak at St. Cloud State University with her "Global Warming Expert" later this week.

... I need to move.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I went to college in Saint Cloud, which is in Crazy Creepy Lady's district. Very Catholic, very single-issue-Pro-Life area. I imagine the more rural portions of her district are even worse.

Oh well, that there are crazy Republicans in Congress is inevitable. That they are incredibly entertaining (by accident) is not, so we should appreciate the gifts we have been given.

The college is the most left part of the district, then it just radiates out into crazy super republicanism.

And even the college has some hardcore right factions. Just step into the business building, speaking of reeducation. It is basically free market fundamentalism combined with "culture warrior" nutters.

Luckily I get to chill in the awesome anthropology dept, which is far away from the business majors. It is unfortuantly close to some of the criminal justice dept though. And all they want to do is bash some hippy heads. :.(

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say