As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do I have a Case?

JeiceJeice regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I know I should consult a lawyer and stuff, but I want to know that I even have a chance before talking to one.

3 of my friends and I signed a one year lease to this house, starting from September 2008 to August 2009. Now, one of my friends moved to Korea about 3 months ago, and I've been trying to find a subletter since. We got different subletters for the months of January to April. May is coming up so my friend will now need to pay me his share of the rent.

The tricky thing is, he is in Korea. However, I know where his parents live and have their numbers. I tried talking to them about the situation and I want them to pay me the money their son will owe me, however they say it's not their problem and that it is between me and their son. But, their son won't contact me back and it does not look like he is going to pay. So, in the worst case scenario, I was thinking of suing the parents for the money their son will owe me (he doesn't technically owe me anything until May 1st) . Can I do this?

Jeice on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is the son over 18? Then no.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If he's over 18, did the parents co-sign the lease?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    JeiceJeice regular
    edited April 2009
    He's over 18, and no the parents did not co-sign the lease. Me and my 3 friends signed it.

Sigh... am I fucked? Is there anything I can do?

Jeice on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jeice wrote: »
    He's over 18, and no the parents did not co-sign the lease. Me and my 3 friends signed it.

Yeah, you can sue your friend.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Good luck serving him, or getting him to pay.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

Agreed. And perhaps, in the long run, it's not worth destroying a friendship over...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Agreed. And perhaps, in the long run, it's not worth destroying a friendship over...

A friend worth having wouldn't fuck you out of rent.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

My world view allows for friends that occasionally make mistakes.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    JeiceJeice regular
    edited April 2009
    He comes back from Korea next year... I think.

So, what's the lesson here? Next time, should I not trust anyone and get my own separate agreement so I won't have to worry about stuff like this? Or, should I continue to have faith in others and write this off as a once in a life time thing that'll never happen again?

Jeice on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It doesn't sound like a mistake to me.

1. He moved to a different country and failed to pay what I assume is several hundred dollars of rent
    2. He's not responding
    3. His parents are stonewalling the OP (although I wouldn't have asked them for the rent directly)

Have you tried asking his parents whether he actually intends to pay the rent, or how to get in touch with him?

It's possible that he's arranged some kind of payment for the last minute, but come May 1st I'd be prepared to just write off both the money and the friend. I don't know why people do this, but I've seen a lot of cases where people refuse to pay their final rent and then just lie outright about it. So I would not recommend the continuing to have faith approach, and would not count on it never happening again in your lifetime.

EDIT: Ideally there would be a month's deposit involved in any situation where someone could screw you out of a month's worth of rent. Was there no deposit on your lease?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The lesson is that you shouldn't have let your friend leave without securing his own subletters or setting up a payment plan for his part of the rent.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Are you fucking serious? In this day and age, if someone is avoiding something like this, he is deliberately screwing you out of hundreds of dollars. It's not like he can't reach him, or isn't aware of the situation (he knew he owed rent when he left). Fortunately, I think the OP will have a case to sue the guy when he gets back, even after the fact. Just preserve copies of the lease, etc.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »

Are you fucking serious? In this day and age, if someone is avoiding something like this, he is deliberately screwing you out of hundreds of dollars. It's not like he can't reach him, or isn't aware of the situation (he knew he owed rent when he left). Fortunately, I think the OP will have a case to sue the guy when he gets back, even after the fact.

He still has a week to get the OP the money. He's not a month late, he's not a day late, he's not a minute late. I don't know what kind of deal he worked out with the OP... frankly, the notion that the OP would let the guy leave without making provisions for this makes him an idiot.

So, uh, yeah, I guess I am fucking serious.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't know what you mean by "let the guy leave." What was the solution here? Stand in front of the door on departure day and say you can't leave? Engage him in fisticuffs? If the guy just peaced out, what was the OP supposed to do here?

Edit: and normally I'd be with you on the "he's not late yet" card, but his stonewalling parents are a very bad sign.

Scrublet on

• Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm with Sentry - even thousands of dollars in the grand scheme of things is petty when the cost is a good friend. Forgiveness doesn't mean forgetting his habits though. You just learn that he or she isn't someone who you live with.

To answer your question though, You probably do have a case against this friend.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »
    I'm with Sentry - even thousands of dollars in the grand scheme of things is petty when the cost is a good friend. Forgiveness doesn't mean forgetting his habits though. You just learn that he or she isn't someone who you live with.

To answer your question though, You probably do have a case against this friend.

He is not a good friend if he is willing to fuck the OP out of hundreds or thousands of dollars.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, seriously. 5, 10 bucks? Okay. Even 50 or so. But hundreds of dollars? That's just a dick move.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You have no hope of getting money off the parents because their son is an adult. You also have no hope of getting the money off him while he's in Korea. If you can really be bothered with the effort there's always small claims court when he gets back but on the face of it I would say you won't be seeing the money again. Your "friend" has screwed you over pretty well.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't know what you mean by "let the guy leave." What was the solution here? Stand in front of the door on departure day and say you can't leave? Engage him in fisticuffs? If the guy just peaced out, what was the OP supposed to do here?

Edit: and normally I'd be with you on the "he's not late yet" card, but his stonewalling parents are a very bad sign.

Well, I would have been like, hey dude, what about your fucking rent? Also, the guy left three months ago, it's not like this was some kind of big surprise here.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm with Sentry - even thousands of dollars in the grand scheme of things is petty when the cost is a good friend.

Someone who fucks off and leaves you responsible for paying thousands of dollars is not a good friend.

supertall on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    supertall wrote: »
    I'm with Sentry - even thousands of dollars in the grand scheme of things is petty when the cost is a good friend.

Someone who fucks off and leaves you responsible for paying thousands of dollars is not a good friend.

Someone who fucks off and leaves you responsible for paying 20 dollars is not a good friend. Someone who apologizes deeply when you have to spot them five because they forgot their wallet? That's a good friend. The amount of money is less important than their behavior.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    This guy left the country and won't return messages. That makes him a douche and not a good friend.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Responsibility definitely falls on your "friend", but his parents won't even help you contact him? That's low.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If he's coming back from Korea, then go ahead and file a claim against him (now or after he's actually late? IANAL) so you can hopefully go after any assets (bank account) he has here, or at least have it on record when he comes back.

As for the people who are all, "abloo bloo I'd never leave a friend": If the dude defaults on his share of the rent, he is not a friend. Period. Keeping someone on who has shown a willingness to dick somebody hard like that is a cry for help more than anything else.

TL DR on
  • Options
    JeiceJeice regular
    edited April 2009

Well, I would have been like, hey dude, what about your fucking rent? Also, the guy left three months ago, it's not like this was some kind of big surprise here.

Well, the arrangement was we would try and find someone to live in his stead in those three months. And, in the case we didn't find anybody, he would just pay the rent. The surprise is, the worst case scenario did happen, but he won't pay. In retrospect, I could have asked him for post-dated cheques, but I didn't think he would bail like this.

I'm trying really hard to keep faith, telling myself he still has a week and everything will turn out fine. But, I've been trying to contact him for the past month and I'm not getting any response. I've been able to contact him before, but know just flat out nothing. I just want something. A response saying he's on it, he sent it in the mail, he needs my address. Anything! And, what pisses me off even more is that he recently contacted one of our other room mates (these two guys are better friends than me and him), but he still won't contact me.

Another thing that's irritating me is that my parents suggested that I protect myself more in case something like this happens. And, I remember I got annoyed at them and told them that these guys are my friends and won't bail on me. I guess I was too naive.

I don't even know what I'm saying anymore. I think I'm just venting...

Jeice on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That clarifies things a bit.

I still don't think you'll be able to get the money, but at least now I think the ex-roommate is as big a douche as everyone else here.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, it's not that he's incommunicado - it's that he is avoiding paying his share of the rent. Sue him when he comes back stateside.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

If you think this, you are a moron. If you see someone post this, and you agree with it, guess what? I bet your friends are using you. And you are ok with it! Good job!

To OP: don't dismiss this as "venting". You have every right to be pissed. This sucks. Unfortunately, the only solution to this is to cover your bases early. If you know a roommate is leaving early, you either trust him, or make him cover his shit. My guess is from now on you will go with "cover your shit". either way, if you can't serve him, you have to wait till he comes back. And unfortunately, I bet the hassle it costs to get him in court is going to wind up costing you more money (and time) than its worth :(

And honestly, every single person in this thread who says "it's a good friend just forgive him" is a fucking idiot.

Scrublet on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm kind of curious about why the friend moved to Korea. That would really determine what I think of this situation.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

If you think this, you are a moron. If you see someone post this, and you agree with it, guess what? I bet your friends are using you. And you are ok with it! Good job!

To OP: don't dismiss this as "venting". You have every right to be pissed. This sucks. Unfortunately, the only solution to this is to cover your bases early. If you know a roommate is leaving early, you either trust him, or make him cover his shit. My guess is from now on you will go with "cover your shit". either way, if you can't serve him, you have to wait till he comes back. And unfortunately, I bet the hassle it costs to get him in court is going to wind up costing you more money (and time) than its worth :(

And honestly, every single person in this thread who says "it's a good friend just forgive him" is a fucking idiot.

Since when did help and advice become about putting other people down? You've got your opinion and I've got mine.

Thousands is probably a bad example, but I've seen enough good friendships ruined in my life by pettiness that... well, its just really sad the things people will get worked up over. So far, OP is out 4th roommates share of cash x 1 month. Well, perhaps. We'll know in a week or so. I guess.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    regardless of whether or not forgiveness is warranted, it's ALWAYS a good idea to separate friendships from rent and any other monetary concerns. this is a bit 20/20 hindsight to you now, but you should have had your friend be the one responsible for finding a subletter instead of just letting him go. with even my closest friends i make damn sure that any kind of money concerns are cleared up straight away. then again, people with whom i am friends are my friends because they feel the same way.

you pretty much are out of luck in terms of filing a claim against this guy if he's out of the U.S. :(

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562