UPDATE 6/4/09: The retail collection is dead, according to epic; but there will be an online version that has additional stuff over the Dark Corners map pack. (Aside from the poster and other tangible components). Dark Corners has also been dropped to 1200 ms points ($15) as well, so the extra content in All Fronts will be at a slightly higher price, rather than the same.
we decided to make Dark Corners available for 1200 points on Xbox LIVE Marketplace, a reduction from 1600. Don't get me wrong, Dark Corners is the biggest Game Add-on we've ever released, and it was a good deal at the old price, but based upon community feedback this just felt like the right thing to do. Also, we've decided to release the All Fronts Collection on Xbox LIVE Marketplace in order to make it available to the widest audience possible. The All Fronts Collection will be priced at 1600 Microsoft Points, and both offers will be available July 28th at 12:00 AM GMT in twenty-five countries around the world.
So, to recap (if I understand things correctly)
-Dark Corners DLC: 1200 MS Points ($15) has 7 new multiplayer maps and new singleplayer chapter "Road to Ruin)
-All Fronts Collection: 1600 MS Points ($20) contains the Flashback Map pack (5 maps), the Combustible Map pack (3 maps), the Snowblind Map pack (4 maps), and the aforementioned Dark Corners DLC (7 maps and a singleplayer chapter)
Older, out of date stuff saved stuff below for posterity and what could have been.
Wow. So Epic is releasing an addon in stores for $20 that includes
-The Flashback Map pack (5 maps)
-The Combustible Map Pack (3 maps)
-The Snowblind Map Pack (4 maps)
-A new Dark Corners Map Pack (7
new multiplayer maps)
-A new set of campaign levels called "Road to Ruin"
-GoW 2 poster
-Xbox 360 theme
All for $20 bucks (1600 ms points on live if you just want the new stuff.. err what?)
Still, I'm excited.
â€œGears of WarÂ® 2â€ Enlists 5 Million Recruits Worldwide; â€œGears of War 2: All Fronts Collectionâ€ Launches July 28 Unleashing All-New Campaign and Multiplayer Content
Global entertainment phenomenon launches a new assault at retail stores and Xbox LIVE this summer
â€œGears of War 2,â€ the entertainment blockbuster of 2008, has surpassed 5 million copies sold worldwide, and the overall â€œGears of Warâ€ franchise unit sales have eclipsed the 11 million unit mark. The momentum doesnâ€™t stop there â€“ to commemorate these milestones, Microsoft Game Studios and Epic Games will unleash the â€œGears of War 2: All Fronts Collection,â€ a value-packed compilation that combines all previous â€œGears of War 2â€ Game Add-ons with brand new multiplayer and campaign content. Available only at retail, the new collection invades store shelves worldwide on July 28 for $19.99/Â£14.99/â‚¬19.99.
Included in the â€œGears of War 2: All Fronts Collectionâ€ is the â€œGears of War 2: Dark Cornersâ€ Game Add-on, which features seven new multiplayer maps and a deleted campaign chapter titled â€œRoad to Ruin.â€ In â€œRoad to Ruin,â€ Marcus and Dom return to the Locust Hollow in a scene that can be played two ways, guns blazing or in all-new stealth mode.
Click here to view all screenshots
The seven new multiplayer maps in the â€œGears of War 2: Dark Cornersâ€ Game Add-on are:
* Allfathers Garden: Honor the sacred grounds of the Coalition founders in this explosive map, where powerful weapons catalyze fast and furious action at this COG landmark.
* Memorial: Set near the Eternal Flame, which pays tribute to the fallen soldiers on the battlefield, a hard-fought battle ensues at the Tomb of Unknowns. Putting their flank formation and evasive skills to the test, players will fight to control the Boomshot.
* Sanctuary: Once a peaceful ground for reflection and remembrance, all that remains of the Sanctuary is the chill of death. Feast your eyes on the arsenal of weapons available as you make your way through the tight paths and blind corners of the Locust-damaged temple corridors.
* War Machine: In the abandoned train station that once served as a hub for travel, players will need to master the Longshot, Mulcher and Boomshot weapons to advance the fight while evading fire from the platforms above.
* Highway: Take the fight deep into the Locust Hollow in the complex passages of this underground highway system brimming with enemy vermin. Stick together, separate the enemy and have an exit strategy ready or itâ€™ll be a one-way trip.
* Way Station: Sitting in limbo between death and â€œprocessingâ€ are Locust way stations filled with fallen COG soldiers. Tread lightly and practice patience as itâ€™s better to sacrifice firepower for stealth while navigating this minefield of hidden grenades.
* Nowhere: Set in the middle of what was once a destination for weary desert travellers, the land is now barren and devoid of life. Pick off your enemies with the Longshot sniper rifle and make your way to the stairwell with a well-fortified team during this intense firefight.
In addition to the new content, the â€œGears of War 2: All Fronts Collectionâ€ also contains every â€œGears of War 2â€ Game Add-on released to date, including the classic â€œFlashbackâ€ Map Pack, volatile â€œCombustibleâ€ Map Pack and the winter-themed â€œSnowblindâ€ Map Pack. Also included is an introduction to â€œRoad to Ruinâ€ from Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski, along with a custom Xbox LIVE theme, collectible â€œGears of War 2â€ poster and a strategy guide. Containing over 3,600 Microsoft Points worth of content, the â€œGears of War 2: All Fronts Collectionâ€ is an incredible value at $19.99.
Already enjoying the previously released â€œGears of War 2â€ collection of map packs? Available day-and-date with â€œGears of War 2: All Fronts Collectionâ€ via download from Xbox LIVE Marketplace, the â€œDark Cornersâ€ Game Add-on will be available separately for 1,600 MS Points.
â€œGears of War 2â€ is available exclusively on Xbox 360 and is rated â€œMâ€ for Mature by the ESRB and PEGI 16+. â€œGears of War 2: All Fronts Collectionâ€ and â€œGears of War 2: Dark Cornersâ€ will be available in LIVE-enabled regions worldwide, where â€œGears of War 2â€ is available. For more information about â€œGears of War 2,â€ visit GearsofWar.com.
EDIT: Added some other goodies to the list that I forgot about