As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DUUUUN DUUUUN! DUH-DUH-DUH-DUH-DUUUUUUH

• Options
    Abraham F. HawkAbraham F. Hawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    well this thread can't be as bad as the MMO forum one.

100 pages of people bitching and nitpicking about the most stupid and mundane things

Oh my God, page 90-100 in that thread is so gay

I wanted to go in there and call them all faggots

Did you know that there are no gays in Star Wars?

Abraham F. Hawk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Fandy does LOTRO still have a trial

It sure does

And then at the end of the trial it's only $10 for the game and the expansion, which is a friggin' steal

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, another franchise gets sent to execution.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have absolutely no faith that a conventional MMO is going to take a sizable portion of the market share

I do believe that it's possible for another game to be as possible as WoW was, but I seriously doubt that game is going to resemble the kinds of MMOs people have been making lately

I'm not nearly informed enough to say what aspects of the typical MMO need to be discarded with (i.e. loot, experience, typical level progression, soloing v. grouping, etc) but I think that WoW is the most successful game that will ever come out of the formula that, on a basic level, every MMO from UO through to this has been playing off of. If game developers want to hit it big like Blizzard did, they need to come up with something new.

Of course, polish and how aptly it's executed and all that is important too; I'm not saying that Blizzard just happened upon the perfect conception of a conventional MMO. I just seriously don't think that there is any place for new (what we know as) MMOs these days.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I like needing to find fun. that means exploring and shit. I want a giant fucking world where I can find a tiny shrine in middle of nowhere full of cool skeletons with loot and no one else knows about it. then to get back to town is a grueling trek through the wilderness and I could die of hunger if I'm not careful

I like the sense of a grand world with some mysteries and challenges

LOTRO has really sucked me in

I love LOTRO. I really, really do. But there's something about the combat that just... ugh.

I have a thing for environments. The two MMOs I'm most impressed by in the market right now are Vanguard and LOTRO. They're both the sorta game I enjoy.

Look at these goddamn pictures I took on my new computer

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=67339&page=80

Once I'm done knocking some of these single-player games I have out, I'm going to resub to either LOTRO, or Vanguard. I haven't decided which one yet, though.

How's the population on Landroval these days?

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yeah but lotro is still "human area, boxed in by mountains. elf area boxed in by mountains. snow area boxed in by mountains. etc etc" and then everything is pretty much visible because forests aren't really forests at all

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    can't wait for the inevitable pa comics

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Fandy does LOTRO still have a trial

It sure does

And then at the end of the trial it's only $10 for the game and the expansion, which is a friggin' steal

Hrmery

I may get in on this, depending on how much I enjoy the trial this time

I remember that last time I played it the trial was plenty for me without buying anything

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I like needing to find fun. that means exploring and shit. I want a giant fucking world where I can find a tiny shrine in middle of nowhere full of cool skeletons with loot and no one else knows about it. then to get back to town is a grueling trek through the wilderness and I could die of hunger if I'm not careful

I love LOTRO. I really, really do. But there's something about the combat that just... ugh.

I have a thing for environments. The two MMOs I'm most impressed by in the market right now are Vanguard and LOTRO. They're both the sorta game I enjoy.

Once I'm done knocking some of these single-player games I have out, I'm going to resub to either LOTRO, or Vanguard. I haven't decided which one yet, though.

Friggin' packed. There's people everywhere, but I've never had a problem with resources or spawns. It just means there are lots of role-player type faggots to help you and a big thriving economy.

It reminds me of WoW at launch, honestly. Tons and tons of people, a few high level people, and stuff going on everywhere.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i mean, let's be honest here

bioware's track record is crazy good

and instead you've all taken to singing the praises of a game where you play a fucking lute

this is why i will never listen to any of you about video games

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yeah but lotro is still "human area, boxed in by mountains. elf area boxed in by mountains. snow area boxed in by mountains. etc etc" and then everything is pretty much visible because forests aren't really forests at all

The areas boxed in by mountains are the biggest zones in any mmo ever

They're so huge

It sort of reminds me of EQOA style world structure, which is sexually arousing for me

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Friggin' packed. There's people everywhere, but I've never had a problem with resources or spawns. It just means there are lots of role-player type faggots to help you and a big thriving economy.

It reminds me of WoW at launch, honestly. Tons and tons of people, a few high level people, and stuff going on everywhere.

What level are you? I have a Captain at 30, which I loved at first, but it's sort of not my thing anymore. I might roll a minstrel, or guardian.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    looks like poop from a butt.

just going to be standing in front of ewoks, autoattacking for 10 seconds
    I'd play the shit out of a game that was nothing but brutally killing ewoks

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Anjin-San wrote: »

and instead you've all taken to singing the praises of a game where you play a fucking lute

If I can play a fucking lute in The Old Republic, I'll buy seventeen copies.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

They're so huge

It sort of reminds me of EQOA style world structure, which is sexually arousing for me

nah not really. they're pretty standard.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

What level are you? I have a Captain at 30, which I loved at first, but it's sort of not my thing anymore. I might roll a minstrel, or guardian.

I'm a 25 Dwarf Minstrel right now. Got a level 11 Champion and 11 Guardian, too.

My Dwarf is my favorite, though. Minstrel kicks ass. I kill things with the power of rock and axe, then I go home to my hobbit-hole and chill like a villain.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    it's gonna be swell

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

okay, you got me there

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited May 2009

They're so huge

Wren, nothing will ever be as awesome as MUDS. The closest that came to it are the early days of MMOs, like Meridian 59 (sort of), Ultima Online, EverQuest, etc. All MMOs are the fucking same now.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    like, goddamn

i know it's their first MMO but I think these cats can do it

ya'll bitches is fools

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

They're so huge

You can't find stuff like this anywhere else
    ScreenShot00041.jpg

ScreenShot00034.jpg

The rain patters softly on everything, rippling in the water and splashing on your cloak, while the shadows are all dynamic DX10 canopies

It's so fucking immersing I just can't believe it

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think the original EQ was the most immersed I've ever been in an MMO

WoW never came close

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    EQOA was the most I've ever felt like part of a game world

LOTRO is coming in a close second

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Wren, nothing will ever be as awesome as MUDS. The closest that came to it are the early days of MMOs, like Meridian 59 (sort of), Ultima Online, EverQuest, etc. All MMOs are the fucking same now.

and that makes me sad

exploring shit in SWG was almost fun. like finding an imperial base in middle of nowhere on a remote planet. the base is large and obviously a lot of care put into crafting it. but the sad part was that there was no point in killing anything there or exploring it because they always fell short on content. its like someone made it then thought "hey Ill put stuff in here later" but completely forgot. repeat this 10,000 times for everything in the game ever

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It'd be nice if I could run a shady bar with maybe some dancers and a minimum four of those awesome bands and an entire wing dedicated to PAZAAK.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    I think the original EQ was the most immersed I've ever been in an MMO

WoW never came close

WoW never even tried

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

okay, you got me there

I mean, seriously, Lord of the Rings Online has a fucking music system with instruments. One of the videos I made a long time ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN-TLNuM9tw

All MMOs should have something like this, just for socializing purposes.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Of course, the music system is ruined even more now, thanks to ABC scripting, but still.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have yet to see a LOTRO lute video that sounded good

they all sound very blah

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    A lot of people still stand around coming up with their own stuff.

[edit] There's lutes, flutes, drums, theoboros, harps, and a few other things

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    oh god seriously why that actually happens in that game

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't even have to watch that to know it's really, really nerdy

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    I have yet to see a LOTRO lute video that sounded good

they all sound very blah

Try Dragon Warrior: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h69fzUG67iU

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    All MMOs should have something like this, just for a prelude to cybering.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    i didn't think you could larp within a video game

i stand corrected

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It is the nerdiest shit ever. I love it.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    LoTR is still thriving? And it's good? Oh man, that sounds tempting.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    very blah

Raneados on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh and the trial thing is beign gay right now

Bullshiiiiit

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It is the nerdiest shit ever. I love it.

Seriously

I've played every MMO ever and I am so goddamn into this one that almost never happens

All walking into the prancing pony past some faggot role-players playing a complicated theme song and talking like a bunch of nutsacks

I don't do it but it sure helps immersion

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg