As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Because CC Changes and Norden Watch Weekend Rule

• Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rend wrote: »
    Hey guys! I was playing this game from the week before it released until about 6-8 months ago. I quit because the Open RVR that I was looking forward to ended up just boiling down to who had more bodies in the way most of the time.

I was wondering, guys, what's changed in the last 6-8 months? I have been considering picking it back up.

It's often a bit more nuanced these days, mostly 'cause people have learned that you can go grab BOs instead of getting bogged down in the big fights. Big fights still happen, but there's quite a bit more zone-wide coordination while groups or warbands try to intercept and/or find the enemy. The incentive of successfully locking a zone, rather than just fighting back and forth, is pretty big.

That said, I haven't participated in a Fortress fight yet, which I understand is still not all that great (which Mythic has admitted and is testing ideas to help).

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In the meantime, afk:ing in warcamps during zonelocks for Annihilator gear is really your first step as far as armor goes.
    :wink:

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I can't imagine AFKing is nearly as fast as the small-scale running around BOs stuff, camping the enemy WC, or doing those *and* scenarios.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I can't imagine AFKing is nearly as fast as the small-scale running around BOs stuff, camping the enemy WC, or doing those *and* scenarios.

I've zoned into an area before right when we zonelock. Talk about perfect timing.

Havelock on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Panda4You wrote: »
    In the meantime, afk:ing in warcamps during zonelocks for Annihilator gear is really your first step as far as armor goes.

Uh, how would AFKing in warcamps get you Annihilator? I hope you don't mean medallions because that would be a pretty bad way to go about it. Not only from a fun perspective but also because it'd be really inefficient timewise.

Annihilator is pretty easy. Buy your gloves and boots off the auction house. On badlands that'll cost you around 30g. Then get one or two more pieces either by taking keeps and/or claiming them and having your guild leader love you and you'll have enough wards to start running city instances. From there it's just a matter of time until you're waltzing around in Dark Promise.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Nay!! Get thee to an unguarded objective, filthy freenowner! :x

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The real pain in the ass when it comes to getting gear is wanting Invader.

I got a belt! Now for the rest of the set... :|

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I see vonPoonBurGer's RR and I realize how damn lazy I am about leveling.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If you saw my /played you might not feel so bad... :shock:

vonPoonBurGer on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I quit the game after the Slayer Patch.
    How's the state of the game now?

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    I see vonPoonBurGer's RR and I realize how damn lazy I am about leveling.

I still can't bring myself to log onto Praag and finish out my Witch Hunter. Poor bastard is going to sit at rank 32 rr 26 for the rest of his goddamn life. If I could transfer him to a server with PA people I would, but I can't.

Havelock on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dis wrote: »

I quit the game even sooner, around the time KotBS and... uh, the other one were released. I kind of want to play again, but not if RvR/scenarios are still completely insufficient for leveling with.

Are they?

(in other words, echoing "How's things now" question)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ledneh wrote: »

I quit the game even sooner, around the time KotBS and... uh, the other one were released. I kind of want to play again, but not if RvR/scenarios are still completely insufficient for leveling with.

Are they?

At lower Tiers, not in the slightest. You can get a fuckton of RR/XP in both.

You still can get decent xp from quest grinding, but RvR is more exciting.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I am already 40 with my full Anni set.
    Is it worth going back for this Land of The Dead content?

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

Are they?

Er I must be broken 'cause I can't understand this post

Are you saying that RvR/scenarios still suck ass for earning XP?

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Are they?

Sorry. I meant that RvR and Scenarios are sufficient for leveling, particularly in lower tiers. It beats doing quests at low level.

However, if you're going to RvR or do Scenarios, do it with a group of friends or a premade. PUGing can be pretty awful sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh ok cool. I'll have to start over anyway, my old crew on Azazel seems to have exploded if forum posts are any read

Also I seem to see that locking zones has some significance now? What does it gain people?

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Are they?

Sorry. I meant that RvR and Scenarios are sufficient for leveling, particularly in lower tiers. It beats doing quests at low level.

However, if you're going to RvR or do Scenarios, do it with a group of friends or a premade. PUGing can be pretty awful sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes.

Also, to be clear... because you have waited until most of T4 is full of established players, T4 scenarios will be absolute HELL for you to level through.

The good thing is, if you stop queing for scenarios from Rank 32-38 and just do quests in T4 zones, it will only take you about 24 hours of /played. Then you can rejoin scenarios and be mostly useful or extremely useful, depending on your class.

If you play a healer, chances are you will be very useful regardless of level, but dont be surprised to spend alot of time staring at the respawn window unless you run with a preformed group where you have a tank that agrees to guard you.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Also I seem to see that locking zones has some significance now? What does it gain people?
    A Crest and 5 medallions for the purchace of gear. And 3-4k+ renown. The plus being the addition to what BO's you helped capture... and what keeps you helped defend/take... and what people you helped kill

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am already 40 with my full Anni set.
    Is it worth going back for this Land of The Dead content?

the gear in Land of the Dead will be LV equivalent and higher supposedly. It's mostly about a new batch of content to play rather than "new lootz." Gearing up for pvp is mostly learning what stats you need to be most effective. In PvE, it's all about the wards. Getting Dark Promise and Invader is great and all, but you can get similar stat bonuses with a mix of Sentinel and Annihilator for quite a few classes. The biggest thing is getting your stats where you want them, which generally comes from experience, experimenting, and researching. The Renown levels also help a great deal with balancing your weakpoints. I think I'm getting close to RR 62, so I have a pretty good setup with nearly 45% block, soft-capped wounds, 600 strength unbuffed, about 650 toughness, etc (this is on my IB, my WP is only around 43 or 44). Took forever to get there though.

All in all, the "gear grind" really isn't that bad. It sucks when you can't get that one piece to drop, but we all know games like that. Once you start wearing Annihilator, you're pretty much on your way to better days in Tier 4. Even if you get a full set of Sentinel gear as soon as you hit 40, you're probably still going to be behind the curve a bit if you don't have your RR and stats setup effectively.

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Have the classes changed significantly since the KotBS/the other one were released (besides adding the Slayer and Choppa I mean)? Are Maguses and Engineers awesome yet?

Ledneh on
  • Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Have the classes changed significantly since the KotBS/the other one were released (besides adding the Slayer and Choppa I mean)? Are Maguses and Engineers awesome yet?

Some classes are better, some classes are the same or worse off. Engs and Mags are both solid classes.

TetraRay on
    Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man, I can barely remember a time when Engineers were not awesome. They got seriously buffed a while back and Grenade spec is currently made of 100% pure win. If/when they implement the game-wide AoE nerfs then Rifleman spec looks like it'll be good for single target, so I'd say they're a solid class.

...Maguses are still kind of meh tho, except for Rift spec in a really well coordinated group. Magus pull done well can wipe warbands, but done badly it tends to fail spectacularly. A Magus by himself can't do it all, he needs groupmates with AoE disables (e.g. Chosen Quake or DoK Universal Confusion, or better yet following up one with the other) or he tends to get killed by whatever he pulled.

vonPoonBurGer on
  • Options
    CodersigmaCodersigma Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I can barely remember a time when Engineers were not awesome. They got seriously buffed a while back and Grenade spec is currently made of 100% pure win. If/when they implement the game-wide AoE nerfs then Rifleman spec looks like it'll be good for single target, so I'd say they're a solid class.

...Maguses are still kind of meh tho, except for Rift spec in a really well coordinated group. Magus pull done well can wipe warbands, but done badly it tends to fail spectacularly. A Magus by himself can't do it all, he needs groupmates with AoE disables (e.g. Chosen Quake or DoK Universal Confusion, or better yet following up one with the other) or he tends to get killed by whatever he pulled.

Just out of curiousity what about Engineers is awesome? Their AoE seems weaker than a BW or Slayers and they lack a healing debuff. I've always thought they were a fairly average class. Maybe the Engineers I seen aren't that good (or undergeared), the Destro I play against run something that hard counter them (I typically have faced a lot of healer heavy Destro teams), or the Engineers you've seen are amazing players. Coming from someone who played a Runepriest and Warrior Priest through T4 the DPS classes I've seen make the most difference were Bright Wizards, Witch Hunters, Slayers, and White Lions (not sure why on this one).

Codersigma on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I am trying to get the trial patched but whenever I get to an audio patch it says it cant find it or it locks up.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Codersigma wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity what about Engineers is awesome? Their AoE seems weaker than a BW or Slayers and they lack a healing debuff. I've always thought they were a fairly average class. Maybe the Engineers I seen aren't that good (or undergeared), the Destro I play against run something that hard counter them (I typically have faced a lot of healer heavy Destro teams), or the Engineers you've seen are amazing players. Coming from someone who played a Runepriest and Warrior Priest through T4 the DPS classes I've seen make the most difference were Bright Wizards, Witch Hunters, Slayers, and White Lions (not sure why on this one).

A good grenadier engineer puts out solid sustained aoe dps while being decently survivable and usually requiring a lot less healing than any of the other classes you mentioned. With their second morale, they can put out some of the highest burst damage in the game for 7 seconds and usually take down a single important squishy while doing significant damage to anybody else who also had DoT's on them. They also have a 5s AoE knockdown that is incredibly versatile and multiple knockbacks. Basically, they're solid backline DPS who are less of a chore to heal than say a slayer or a white lion.

At the moment, the other 2 mastery paths aren't really as solid though. Rifleman is due for a buff and suffers much higher mitigation than grenadier due to the way resists and armor work. Tinkerer is just pretty much a joke right now, and will be until they fix magnet.

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow. Just ran through all the career builders on WarDB trying to find all the healing debuffs, and it appears Destro has 6 total healing debuffs (one of which is upgradeable from 25% to 50%) while Order has 11 (one of which is complete garbage single target 25% without any damage component). So order has 66% more healing debuffs than destro.

list:
    Destruction

Chosen
    -Discordant Turbulence: 30ft AOE 25% heal debuff, Aura
    Disciple of Khaine
    -Curse of Khaine: tactic, 50% heal debuff on crit, 5s duration
    Marauder
    -Tainted Claw: 25% heal debuff, 5s duration(10s if target is ailed), 5s cooldown
    -Deadly Clutch: Tactic, makes Tainted Claw 50% heal debuff, and heals marauder for 50% of heals received by enemy
    Squig Herder
    -Rotten Arrer: 50% healing debuff, target must be ailing, 9s duration, no cooldown
    Witch Elf
    -Kiss of Death: 50% outgoing heal debuff, 25% chance to proc (50% with tactic), 5s duration
    -Black Lotus Blade: 50% heal debuff, 10s duration, 10s cooldown

Order

Archmage
    -Scatter the Winds: 50% heal debuff + DoT, 9s duration, 10s cooldown.
    Bright Wizard
    -Playing with fire: 50% heal debuff + backlash to healers using direct heal on person, 10s duration, 30s cooldown
    Knight of the Blazing Sun
    -Now's Our Chance: 30 ft 25% outgoing heal debuff, Aura
    Runepriest
    -Rune of Nullification: Tactic, 50% heal debuff on crit, 5s duration
    Shadow Warrior
    -Shadow Sting: 50% healing debuff, target must be ailing, no cooldown
    -Fell The Weak: 50% healing debuff if vengeful, 10s duration, 10s cooldown, but vengeful is 2m cooldown
    Slayer
    -Deep Wound: 50% heal debuff, 10s duration, No cooldown
    Warrior Priest
    -Absence of Faith: 25% healing debuff, 10s duration, 20s cooldown, garbage
    White Lion
    -Thin The Herd: 50% heal debuff, 10s duration, 10s cooldown
    Witch Hunter
    -Blessed Bullets of Confession: 50% outgoing heal debuff, 5s duration, procs on all executions allowing as little as 3s between applications
    -Punish The False: 50% heal debuff, 10s duration, 10s cooldown

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do not go down the dark road of comparing order to chaos classes. If order one day woke up and had to play as their "mirrors" they would jump off the roof and slit their own throat on the way down.

Detharin on
  • Options
    RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A lot of those are seldom used for whatever reason, like Rune of Nullification and Absence of Faith, and in other cases where is a definite disparity the mirror gets something significant in return, such as massive Word of Pain crits instead of Playing with Fire and an armor debuff that can be used at will/an ability that grants AP instead of Deep Wound. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that just because there is a disparity between the factions in one type of debuff doesn't mean that there's a disparity in the overall balance of the game.

EDIT: Consider this a second to Detharin's asking not to get into the mirror comparing game, minus the declarative statements about which side is better. Last time we did this with warrior priests and disciples, it did not end well.

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think we can all agree there is an overall disparity in the balance of the game. However while you can argue about the mirrors, currently when it comes down to ranged vs melee in quite a few cases ranged win, even when the fight happens at point blank range. This games major balance issues that need to be fixed ASAP, because right now land of the dead is like building a casino on top of a burning, sinking ship.

Detharin on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A Crest and 5 medallions for the purchace of gear. And 3-4k+ renown. The plus being the addition to what BO's you helped capture... and what keeps you helped defend/take... and what people you helped kill

And when 1.3 rolls out, it will make it so that zone flips shift a lot of resources for a faction for the Land of the Dead.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Those heal debuffs that Order has would be awesome if we could get past that huge Destro DPS wall to apply them to X targets.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I find it funny how Warhammer Online made me spend more money on Warhammer Fantasy Omnibus Novels than on the game itself.

Gotrek and Felix 3rd Omnibus I am coming for you.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A anguished specced Blackguard can get a 50% outgoing heal debuff (of course must be applied to a healer for it to work and if I recall it calcs the debuff before the wisdom numbers get added. )

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    shikeshike Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do we know when 1.3 is coming out?

shike on
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow. Just ran through all the career builders on WarDB trying to find all the healing debuffs, and it appears Destro has 6 total healing debuffs (one of which is upgradeable from 25% to 50%) while Order has 11 (one of which is complete garbage single target 25% without any damage component). So order has 66% more healing debuffs than destro.

No, they don't, because not all healing debuffs are created equal, a lot of the ones listed are situational and a lot of the others are in sub-optimal mastery lines.

I mean, the SW cut with Fell requires a high number of mastery points AND the use of an ability with a 2m cooldown. There is no way that has as much utility as a WH/WE dual cut using bullets/kisses alongside their heal cut attack. The RP one listed requires an RP to crit on an attack and uses up a tactic slot. Do I even need to explain why that isn't very useful?

You are also missing some information on which cuts are outgoing and which are incoming in terms of heals. Generally ones on incoming heals are better than those on outgoing, since incoming ones can be used on assist trains.

Even then, a lopsided number of heal cuts doesn't necessarily point to underlying balance issues. Destro classes have other abilities that need to be taken into account.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How's the game fairing these days? I'm considering making a comeback. Has the stuff leading up to the Land of Dead been good? Are server populations healthy? And most importantly are the Candymancers still kicking around on Badlands?

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yathrin wrote: »
    How's the game fairing these days? I'm considering making a comeback. Has the stuff leading up to the Land of Dead been good? Are server populations healthy? And most importantly are the Candymancers still kicking around on Badlands?

The Land of the Dead stuff on Test looks really good and I cant wait to play it with my guildies.

The rest of the game has enough balance problems that I already cancelled, and may or may not resub once the subscription lapses. I was willing to wait for 1.3 for the C&C changes, but now that they have been pulled to push the content expansion, I need to hear a date set for the C&C changes before I consider resubbing.

EDIT: The game is not unbalanced, it just needs alot of tweaks before I could consider it fun again.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What have I done to miss all the supposed balance issues and frustrations? Sure, I die to Bright Wizards sometimes, but I can usually identify my own actions that led to it.

I feel like I'm missing what gets people to quit.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »
    What have I done to miss all the supposed balance issues and frustrations? Sure, I die to Bright Wizards sometimes, but I can usually identify my own actions that led to it.

I feel like I'm missing what gets people to quit.

I think the problem is that most people roll squishies, and if you roll a squishy you're going to be dying to rdps or aoe spam a lot. At least that's what I've noticed on Destro side stuff, and as a player who rolls primarily DPS. To say we're a short-lived class in combat is a fucking understatement.

It's also one of the reasons why I'm thinking, once I get back into WAR, of rolling a tank, since I might last a little longer in combat enough to make an actual contribution.

But really, what makes people quit could be any number of things. A bad week in RvR, dying to too much BW/Sorc/Slayer/Choppa/AoE/RDPS bullshit. A terribad scenario where your team couldn't hold off the Destro zerg. Or maybe getting fucked over on a roll in a PQ/Keep take. I've even had a friend quit WAR because the community can be downright god awful at times.

Havelock on