As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac: Need help finding and deleting huge .sparsebundle

Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
I noticed I was running out of space on my Macbook, so I decided to run JDiskReport to help find things I don't need. Shortly after, I found that, under Users>.username is something called username.sparsebundle that's 124.1 GB in size. Needless to say, getting rid of this would help me out a great deal.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find this sparsebundle, much less delete it. I looked to google for some help with this matter, but most references to sparsebundles connect the problem with Time Capsule, which I don't use. I did, however, find out that the fact that I'm using FileVault is likely the cause of the problem. Course, when I try to turn off Filevault, I get a message saying I need to free up 126.6 GB of space.

So, what the hell can I do to get rid of this sparsebundle thing?

Robos A Go Go on

• Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Firstly, FileVault images are mounted as your home directory - in a very real way, they are your home directory. Take a look at the numbers JDiskReport produces, and check that they match the physical hardware. FileVault has some quirks that could be throwing your numbers here - I'm not using it, so don't know how it presents to such tools.
    Secondly, how large is your home directory? The bundle should be being compacted each time you logout. I'm not sure if there's any compression applied - I don't think there would be, but it is possible.
    If compaction isn't happening, then hdiutil compact should force it - but this is not something I would advise. I'd check home directory size first. It'll look like duplication, but it really isn't.

Also, to clarify, JDiskReport is telling you, for instance, that the file is, for instance Users/.james/james.sparsebundle ?

Linden on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JDisk's number don't match the hardware specs, so I think JDisk was just throwing my numbers off and nothing unusual is actually happening here. Thanks for the help.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone gonna make a WWDC thread? I would but am unable to.

LightRider on