Options

is it legal?(california college system)

Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham HopelessRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm taking a summer English class right now, and apparently the teacher has decided that those who do not own the book; which has the price of $80, will be marked down in class for not participating. When I asked him about sharing a book with a partner, which had been fine up until today, he said 'You need to have your own book so you can follow along with the work we are doing'. I have had no problem following along with any of the work, have turned it all in, and answered the questions directed at me, all without owning my own book. So, through out me trying to reason with him on marking me down for not owning a book, I asked a final question. 'I do not have enough money to obtain the book at this time, are you saying that I will be losing at least a letter grade (participation is 15%) in your class based on my financial situation?'. To which he simply replied, 'Yes that's exactly what I'm saying'.

So... is that even legal? If it's not, can you help me find documents to present to him, and if not him the school board?

Bendery It Like Beckham on

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm taking a summer English class right now, and apparently the teacher has decided that those who do not own the book; which has the price of $80, will be marked down in class for not participating. When I asked him about sharing a book with a partner, which had been fine up until today, he said 'You need to have your own book so you can follow along with the work we are doing'. I have had no problem following along with any of the work, have turned it all in, and answered the questions directed at me, all without owning my own book. So, through out me trying to reason with him on marking me down for not owning a book, I asked a final question. 'I do not have enough money to obtain the book at this time, are you saying that I will be losing at least a letter grade (participation is 15%) in your class based on my financial situation?'. To which he simply replied, 'Yes that's exactly what I'm saying'.

So... is that even legal? If it's not, can you help me find documents to present to him, and if not him the school board?

Proffesors tend to have god-like powers over grades in their classes. As long as what the lower grade for is not discrimination like race or sex, then usually it's fair game.

having said that, you could try going to your degree advisor or department head and asking how kosher this sort of thing is and what can be done about it. As a fair warning most will tell you to just suck it up and buy the book though

ronzo on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If he has tenure, good luck.

Most classes do require each person have a book, the fact many teachers don't care if you share is kind of a bonus.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd imagine books are considered an expected and reasonable expense for a student, so I doubt he's breaking any actual laws. This is something you'd want to bring up with the governing body of your school, your or the professor's dean or your adviser, as they would be more familiar with your school's specific rules.

Invisible on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If it's listed as a required textbook on the course calendar then you're shit out of luck, I figure.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He's likely co-author of said book. Arguing with him about it is futile.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

How does the teacher know if you have the book or not if you are participating and turning in all the assignments?

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aside from going to the department head, which probably won't get you anything, there's not much you can do. All he has to do is claim it's to cut down on cheating between people sharing a book, and you're stuck.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Post-secondary is private, 99% of the time (shit maybe 100%), and book costs (or anything else they want to charge you) are part of enrollment (in a sense), and if you can't afford it they can do whatever the hell they want.

Topia on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Your school's ombudsman will know much more about what you can do in this situation more than any of us.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd say it doesn't hurt to ask someone higher up. Worst case you get shot down, best you win.

Quoth on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've never heard of this and it sounds incredibly shady. I'd go to the department head and complain, specifically because until now you had been told sharing is fine and he just now changed his mind. Had you known from day one you could have switched classes or looked at other options.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You're probably screwed, the whole college text book system really is nothing but a scam on students, but there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. Have you tried to find the book used? If you can find it on the cheap, I wouldn't waste time making a stand over it. The only thing you have in your favor is that he allowed you to share for however long it was, which meant you had a reasonable expectation you wouldn't need to buy the book, which is the argument I would make to the dept. head or whomever has authority there.

Beyond that, I would probably try to look for some upper classmen who've already taken the class and see if you can pawn the book off of them, chances are it's the same book minus an edition change or whatever.

He better not be the author of said book though, because while not illegal or anything, that really would be fucked up on his part.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    WileyWiley In the dirt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If it says the text is required then you are probably fighting a loosing battle. However, it isn't like you really have anything to lose. Well, except maybe getting a professor pissed at you for questioning his authority. They usually don't like that.

Wiley on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

If he was saying "poor people get 15% less", you might have some sort of equal protection claim. But he's not. He's requiring everyone purchase supplies. You could complain to your community college administration about this, but that would an administrative issue, not a legal one. Just buy the book. If you can't afford it, get student loans, a second job, sell plasma or give up your internet subscription for a while. I assume it's one of the norton anthologies or something similar, and they should be available online for cheaper.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Steal his copy.

(do not actually do this)

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Second'd looking for used books. I got mine off Amazon, and they were immensely cheaper as opposed to the new ones in the college bookstore. Also, since most are usually rated / described in terms of quality and use, get the cheapest-ass one you can find because hell, you're not gonna need it! Except the one time, to slam down on the professor's desk and proceed to tell him to suck it. Also, do not do that thing I just typed.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's basically an academic field conspiracy. My sister's school has started a new program in which you need a code, only available by purchasing a new copy of your textbook from the official school library (not a used book store) to access online content. That content is graded.

Most textbooks are written by scholars and professors in that field, and they milk the publishing as hard as they can.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What textbook is it, out of curiosity? Someone else mentioned a Norton Anthology, and I've got some of those around I don't think I'll need again...

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    thanks for the advice. Issue is it's a 4 week course... and shipping takes a week. I don't get paid till next week, so I'll drop $80 on a book. get it a week later, and have a week of class left.

I'm just gonna suck it up

• Options
    RenegadeSilenceRenegadeSilence Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Echoing that you're probably screwed, I was in a situation where I would have gotten an A if it were any other teacher, but got a C instead. Usually the department will have a course policy and it states that all teachers have to do is cover the same material, other than that they can do whatever the fuck they want.

Still won't hurt to ask the department head.

Edit: oops just ignore this post.

RenegadeSilence on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is there someone you can borrow it from temporarily? Like, from a guy in the back of the class the professor can't see too well.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hate this kind of thing - happily when I went to college my faculty student's association had basically made an arrangement with the faculty to make course readings into a non profit activity - they would photocopy all the relevant material then assemble folders for each class from 101 right to 700 level. Since it was academic use and stuck to at most a chapter of a particular book it was deemed to comply with our copyright laws (not US). I think I would pay about $20 US a year for these materials and this was for a very reading intensive course. Which compared to friends who went to different colleges was a huge saving

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As someone who has actually written a textbook, I feel compelled to chime in.
    Makershot wrote: »

I think it would be pretty easy to suss this out, given that the professor's name would be actually, you know, on the cover and stuff.
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    You're probably screwed, the whole college text book system really is nothing but a scam on students, but there isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

He better not be the author of said book though, because while not illegal or anything, that really would be fucked up on his part.

If he is not a co-author, then I can't imagine what the conspiracy is. Professors don't get a kickback (from any reputable publisher) for teaching from a particular book.

Even if he is a co-author, do you know what the author's portion of a single new-book sale is for an $80 textbook with a major publisher? It's something like $10, shared among all the authors. If there are two authors on the textbook, the professor gets $5. Before taxes, so it's really like $3.25. If this is a scam, it's the worst paying scam in history.

On a used book, of course, the authors get nothing and all the proceeds go to some broker like Amazon. A somewhat pervasive phenomenon is that a lot of the "used" textbooks are free not-for-resale review copies given out to professors for marketing. The professors take these free books and then sell them for profit. Some publishers are going so far as to print these copies with special "review copy" covers on them to discourage the practice.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    It's basically an academic field conspiracy. My sister's school has started a new program in which you need a code, only available by purchasing a new copy of your textbook from the official school library (not a used book store) to access online content. That content is graded.

Most textbooks are written by scholars and professors in that field, and they milk the publishing as hard as they can.

That particular tactic strikes me as both brilliant and sketchy at the same time. I don't do that, but in general very, very few people are getting rich off of textbook writing - scammy behaviors like this or not. On the whole, you'd make more (on a per-hour basis) working as a Subway Sandwich Artist instead of a textbook author.

It's amazing how much students bitch about an $80 textbook in the context of their overall education. I think it's mostly psychological, because it's costed out separately. I'd love to see an experiment where students had to actually write a check for each lecture. Let's say it's a cheap state University and costs $1500 a quarter to go, and you take three classes a quarter. That's $500 a class. Assuming it meets twice a week for ten weeks, that's $25 a lecture. Per head. I think students would feel a little less bad about spending $80 on a textbook if they were writing a check for $25 twice a week or $50 a week. You'd have to decide: wow, was that really worth the $25? You could buy two CDs, or take your significant other to the movies with popcorn for that kind of money.

But $80 is just a killer. Sigh.

At least you get to KEEP the book.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    As someone who has actually written a textbook, I feel compelled to chime in.

I think it would be pretty easy to suss this out, given that the professor's name would be actually, you know, on the cover and stuff.
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    You're probably screwed, the whole college text book system really is nothing but a scam on students, but there isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

If he is not a co-author, then I can't imagine what the conspiracy is. Professors don't get a kickback (from any reputable publisher) for teaching from a particular book.

Even if he is a co-author, do you know what the author's portion of a single new-book sale is for an $80 textbook with a major publisher? It's something like $10, shared among all the authors. If there are two authors on the textbook, the professor gets $5. Before taxes, so it's really like $3.25. If this is a scam, it's the worst paying scam in history.

On a used book, of course, the authors get nothing and all the proceeds go to some broker like Amazon. A somewhat pervasive phenomenon is that a lot of the "used" textbooks are free not-for-resale review copies given out to professors for marketing. The professors take these free books and then sell them for profit. Some publishers are going so far as to print these copies with special "review copy" covers on them to discourage the practice.

That particular tactic strikes me as both brilliant and sketchy at the same time. I don't do that, but in general very, very few people are getting rich off of textbook writing - scammy behaviors like this or not. On the whole, you'd make more (on a per-hour basis) working as a Subway Sandwich Artist instead of a textbook author.

It's amazing how much students bitch about an $80 textbook in the context of their overall education. I think it's mostly psychological, because it's costed out separately. I'd love to see an experiment where students had to actually write a check for each lecture. Let's say it's a cheap state University and costs $1500 a quarter to go, and you take three classes a quarter. That's $500 a class. Assuming it meets twice a week for ten weeks, that's $25 a lecture. Per head. I think students would feel a little less bad about spending $80 on a textbook if they were writing a check for $25 twice a week or $50 a week. You'd have to decide: wow, was that really worth the $25? You could buy two CDs, or take your significant other to the movies with popcorn for that kind of money.

But $80 is just a killer. Sigh.

At least you get to KEEP the book.

I'm so financially in the hole i got to a community college with a $26 a unit tuition, and I still have to get the costs waived or I would never be able to pay them

I'm not bitching about the $80 because I won't be able to go out with friends this weekend, I'm upset about the $80 dollars because if I pay it I'll no longer have a car, or a place to live. I guess I could just not pay my rent and instead keep the car...

• Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is this book being used for other classes not held at the same time? If so, borrow it from someone outside of your class. Or check the school library.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    what textbook is it? Maybe some of us students/ex students can help scope out a cheaper copy if we actually know what we're looking for...

ihmmy on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It is such a crime that a student in massive debt doesn't want to go another 5 grand into debt.

Find a used textbook. You can likely find the $80 book for $20-40.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My sister's school has started a new program in which you need a code, only available by purchasing a new copy of your textbook from the official school library (not a used book store) to access online content. That content is graded.

Okay, this strikes me as a giant pile of bullshit, and needlessly wasteful. Your sister's school should be ashamed of itself if it has anything resembling a "Green" program. Every student needing a new copy of the book, generating god nows how many useless or abandoned books over the years?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just throwing this out there, have you checked your school's library? Oftentimes school libraries will purchase at least 1 copy of books that are required for various courses to help out people who are financially strapped and can't afford to buy the book. Sometimes you can even check it out for prolonged periods of time (although sometimes you have to use it in the library and can't take it out).

Hypatia on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

UF got in a ton of shit for professors having kick backs by pushing books.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That is such bs, especially considering used books are often bought by the students who can't afford buying all of those new textbooks.

never die on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can probably buy the code seperately. Sure, sometimes the code is $120+, but sometimes its more reasonable. I had several classes in my undergrad that required an online code.
    EliteLamer wrote: »

UF got in a ton of shit for professors having kick backs by pushing books.

I had a Psych professor who taught using the book he wrote. It was also a smaller cheaper book, which he apperantly had to update nearly every year to keep his publishing contract. This meant a used book of his might be okay next semester, but a new one was still pretty cheap.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    honestly, if $80 is the difference between you eating and not, complain about it but be ready to accept the lower grade

school isn't free unfortunately.... you can't expect everyone to make exceptions for you just b/c of your unfortunate financial situation

illig on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I work for a University English Department (in the southeastern US), and this is bullshit. Here is why:

1) Unless every section of your class and every teacher requires the purchase of the textbook, rather than access to the book, you should not be held liable to have it.

2) If this is true, then it must be on your course syllabi. Check that. Then ask to see the course expectations and formation syllabi for when the course was originally drafted. If it wasn't on that first syllabi, they technically can't require you to do so.

3) This seems like it is violating FERPA (the Federal Ed. Privacy Laws). This is also against accreditation rules, especially if the professor contributed to the textbook.

Go to the Department Chair and ask the legality of this, and the reasoning behind it. If they are not helpful, threaten to go to the dean of the college/President's office.

This is the sort of thing that can get a school un-accredited. This is doubly true if the Professor, or one in the department, contributed to the book. In all likelihood they will rule in your favor, assuming you can prove your work is keeping up and you have some form of access to the required materials.

However, if this is a way to get around failing, you are boned. You can petition most things, but doing so with failing grades (before the textbook thing) will probably get you nowhere.

Enc on